sdrnet

[MOC] Galaxy Explorer SDR-926

51217475326_4d31162b4b_c.jpg

It was the year 1979 when LEGO launched one of the sets that became among the most iconic in the AFOL world: the 497 set or better known as 928.
The set was proposed with two different codes: 497 with the title of "Galaxy Explorer" and 928 with the title of "Space Cruiser and Moonbase".
The Classic Space theme was launched just a year earlier in 1978 and this set became a legend because it represented the most beautiful and largest spaceship in the entire fleet. It is incredible to think of the success that this set of only 338 pieces has had if we compare it to those on sale today, but in those days we were children who dreamed of having this box and our best memories are linked to it.
In '79 I was just 5 years old and I have never been able to have this box, too expensive for my parents, but I have always dreamed of it looking at it in the catalogs. Finally as an adult I looked for it and managed to buy it!

All this premise was used to introduce my new work: the Galaxy Explorer SDR-926! This year I am 10 years old as AFOL and I thought about making mocs that have a special meaning for me. The first of these was the desire to make a spaceship of some importance! SDR-926 wants to be a tribute to the 928 but with very different characteristics and numbers. Number 926 represents the birth of my daughter. The spaceship measures 85 x 75 x 21 cm and is made up of almost 4600 pieces! It took me 5 intense months to make it because it contains several features and functionalities in a single work.

51217475481_feb39f8d1b_c.jpg

Main features and functions:
1) exploration ship removable from above with revolving lever
2) control room
3) removable panel to observe the central hall of the spaceship
4) three landing gears
5) foldable and removable wings
6) revolving laser cannons with levers
7) engines and hatch that can be opened
8 ) access ramp that can be opened with a lever
9) ground exploration vehicle with revolving radar
10) Excellent rigidity thanks to a basic structure composed of technic elements
11) disassembly of the spaceship in blocks
12) support for display with identification plate 

Main informations:
Name: Galaxy Explorer SDR-926
Dimensions: 85 x 75 x 21 cm
Parts number: 4200 pieces
Number of parts with stand: 4580 pieces
Minifigs: 8 Classic Space minifigs
Main colors: Blue, Light Bluish Gray, Transparent Yellow
Weight (spaceship only): 4370 gr
Weight with stand: 4740 gr

51218542820_858c47cf79_c.jpg

51218543185_8df06917b8_c.jpg

51218239894_e775b5b3dd_c.jpg

51217481651_cc64ab02b5_c.jpg

The spaceship is quite impressive if you compare it with the old LL 928, but it draws the same colors and a lot of playability, but with many more features. It is a spaceship built with care and attention to detail without forgetting an excellent sturdiness of the whole structure (made with technic blocks).

For the first time I have also decided to try my hand at making the instructions that will be available in the future, as soon as I can complete the job!

51216757607_c8d01b6573_c.jpg

Visit my photo gallery on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdrnet/albums/72157719328861377

This is probably one of my favorite takes on this particular idea. Looks fantastic and I love all the features.

Classic space was before my time. I grew up with Blacktron II and M:Tron and the like.

This ship is quite impressive though. Tons of details. The size is ginormous.

Well done!

That is a beautiful example of Lego Mastery.

I'm just wondering why it was only today that I got an email about it, thirteen days late!!!

this is stunning

if i was lego i would buy this from you and sell it as a relaunch of a classic space theme.

This is amazing. Congratulations, I wouldn't have the will the ever disassemble ;)

On 6/1/2021 at 3:16 PM, sdrnet said:

In '79 I was just 5 years old and I have never been able to have this box, too expensive for my parents, but I have always dreamed of it looking at it in the catalogs.

This is sooo familiar! Only difference is I was 6 years old in '79. 

What an amazing way to make up for this loss you have found! Not only secure a copy of the original version, but creating a totally bananas version of it. Absolutely gorgeous.

My goodness, this is one of the largest and most complex MOCs based on Classic Space I have ever seen! Looks like a Titan version of Benny's Spaceship, excellent job!

Edited by Lego David

Hello sdrnet, 

My son is in a Lego Space phase and was amazed by your creation. You mentioned above that you were working on instructions. Did you get a chance to finish them? My son and I would love to create your spaceship.

Thank you

Ohhh how have I missed this, this is an amazing creation!
I love it when Technic allows for more worked out features, without showing too much on the outside. Amazing details on both inside and outside too!