Sign in to follow this  
Sunil766

Santa Fe glued

Hi, 

rewarding myself for a few things justifying the price for used santa fe sets, I have recently acquired the locomotive and a few wagons. 

Now I had heard that as employee presents those gifted sets were glued together. Unfortunately I did not clarify this issue when buying and now I have those glued cars that I can't disassemble. 

Does anyone know if there's a way to dissolve that glue without damaging the parts? 

Thanks in advance. 

You can't take those apart if it's the same glue as used in LEGOland parks. Just keep them as they are

I do find it wierd that TLG gifted glued SF trains to their staff?

Ugh! What an unpleasant surprise, sorry to hear.

50 minutes ago, 1974 said:

You can't take those apart if it's the same glue as used in LEGOland parks. Just keep them as they are

Exactly that, the most common "glue" used on lego actually chemically welds the parts together. Hopefully they did not glue the bogies or wheels. If they did, that might be worth exploring ways to make the train roll. If the glue is a problem, you could resell this particular set to get your money back and buy another one after that.

Thanks both for your replies. shame. On the upside, shortly after my anger and disappointment filled post I realized that it's only one of the four wagons that's glued. The bogies and wheels are fine, however this is too much of a compromise for me, so I'll sell and either keep only three remaining wagons or buy another one. Then again, 3 cars look like a sufficiently decent train already and I could use that budget for the next aspiration: the maersk 10219 :pir-huzzah2: (or a second horizon express now that we will have wide radii curves soon, tough decision, happy to hear your thoughts :pir-devil:)

Kind regards

22 hours ago, Sunil766 said:

I realized that it's only one of the four wagons that's glued.

Phew!

As for the Maersk and HE, yes, that's going to be a tough choice to pick between the two

On that note... I am thinking about replacing a few of the stickers that started peeling off. Any experience with e.g. brick sticker shop? 

Okbrickworks sells replacement decals for most train sets. Reach out to Andy about what you need.

On 6/10/2021 at 5:53 AM, ALCO said:

Okbrickworks sells replacement decals for most train sets. Reach out to Andy about what you need.

100% vouch for Okbrickworks. I've ordered a handful of replacements and all have been great. They're one of the few that prints white on transparent paper where needed. They're more of a thin vinyl than sticker paper and as a result are mega sticky. They look excellent when applied.