Chapter 4
-Grevling Manor
-House Raising Party
-Survival
-Grevling Manor Great Hall
-Alistair's Forest Lair
-Farmer Gyles Mill

Mitgardian Watchtower of Treacleheim

Spring was beginning to poke through the frozen vistas of Mitgardia. But with the warming weather came raids by Alistair and his renegade band. The brave soldiers on watch fired the arrow the light the beacon to warm the town of the impending danger.

And once again, the green-and-gold banners of the north cut the grey skies to bring tranquility and reliability to the land of the old ones.
It warms my cold heart to see the old Norse architecture painting the horizon with the bold objectivity of a round tower. 
Impressive and robust rockwork, with the very familiar white mantel of snow keeping the weak of skin and feeble minded from entering and exploring the vast Mitgardian plains. 
Great spot of colors with the vegetation. But the beacon is the one thing I like the most! Something about the nest of wands, there. Very cool (no pun intended)!
For Mitgardia! 
Skol.

Brave soldiers indeed... it must take some courage to carry firewood to that beacon. :grin:  Neat idea having it stick out like that, the snow line at the base of the cliff is very natural, and lavender was a great color choice for the vegetation, it brings a hint of color without taking away from the cold look!

I'm glad you were able to squeeze this one in under the deadline MKJoshA!  Your signature lavender foliage works well in the frozen landscape once again and I like the tower itself, making it look like it was truly cut into the cliff probably wasn't easy but it looks great.

Great round tower.  I also like the clear 1x1 with tooth representing (melting) ice.

Really beautiful.  I love the round tower.  You do some really nice round techniques.  Your color choice is great too, with the muted greys and white against the lavender and the big pop of the Mitgardian colors at the top.  The beacon is creative and looks great.  My only quibble is why aren't those guard shooting arrows at the minotaurs?  They're totally in range! :grin:

Edited by Grover

On 6/1/2021 at 8:19 AM, Louis of Nutwood said:

And once again, the green-and-gold banners of the north cut the grey skies to bring tranquility and reliability to the land of the old ones.
It warms my cold heart to see the old Norse architecture painting the horizon with the bold objectivity of a round tower. 
Impressive and robust rockwork, with the very familiar white mantel of snow keeping the weak of skin and feeble minded from entering and exploring the vast Mitgardian plains. 
Great spot of colors with the vegetation. But the beacon is the one thing I like the most! Something about the nest of wands, there. Very cool (no pun intended)!
For Mitgardia! 
Skol.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:27 AM, caiman0637 said:

Very nice!

On 6/1/2021 at 10:25 AM, Kai NRG said:

Brave soldiers indeed... it must take some courage to carry firewood to that beacon. :grin:  Neat idea having it stick out like that, the snow line at the base of the cliff is very natural, and lavender was a great color choice for the vegetation, it brings a hint of color without taking away from the cold look!

On 6/1/2021 at 12:44 PM, mrcp6d said:

I'm glad you were able to squeeze this one in under the deadline MKJoshA!  Your signature lavender foliage works well in the frozen landscape once again and I like the tower itself, making it look like it was truly cut into the cliff probably wasn't easy but it looks great.

Thank you! Credit for the lavender foliage choice has to go to @soccerkid6 though. Pretty sure he was the first to use it.

2 hours ago, jtooker said:

Great round tower.  I also like the clear 1x1 with tooth representing (melting) ice.

Thanks! I can't find the reference picture but I saw someone on Instagram use it.

1 hour ago, Grover said:

Really beautiful.  I love the round tower.  You do some really nice round techniques.  Your color choice is great too, with the muted greys and white against the lavender and the big pop of the Mitgardian colors at the top.  The beacon is creative and looks great.  My only quibble is why aren't those guard shooting arrows at the minotaurs?  They're totally in range! :grin:

I looked at a number of Synder brother tutorials, but ended up coming up with my own design for the tower. Glad you like it! Your point about shooting the Minotaurs is a great oversight on my part! Those soldiers will have to be suitably punished for their failure.

The tower looks nice and sleek.  I like the rock work looks really good.  The melting snow is a nice touch.  The beacon is an interesting idea there offset from the tower.  Figs look great too.  

Glad you like it! Here are some behind the scenes shots of the tower:

640x410.JPG

640x781.JPG

There are a number of things that I like here, but also some things that could be better imo. I like practically the whole lower cliff part. Good use of that newer 1x3 slope piece to create a soft and thick pack of snow following the cliff's contours! The icicles are a nice touch! Nice foliage, and good efforts to have it rooted in soil instead of bare rock. I like how there is a cut-out in the rock face, but I personally wouldn't have plugged it with a tower. Instead, I think it would be more logical to put the tower on the higher ground, on one of the sides of it. The tower itself is a bit smooth for my taste, but I like the beacon! Its supporting arch is a bit thin, though.. Finally, I'll echo that it would have been nice to see the soldiers aiming for the invaders. 

Excellent build and techniques, nice to see the minotaurs too. :thumbup:

On 6/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, MKJoshA said:

Glad you like it! Here are some behind the scenes shots of the tower:

One of the things I always appreciated was your willingness to share technique pics.  I have learned a lot from your behind the scenes pics, so thank you!