Sign in to follow this  
Stoertebricker

[MOC] El Puerto de Cartagena (Anno 1585)

Ay seamates!

I got some new fotos but had problems with the background due to size, hope you will enjoy anyway:

Bienvenidos a Cartagena!

Lower your anchor, take a bottle of rum and relax from your adventurous voyage through the caribbean sea!

51213494781_0817d9b1d0_c.jpgPuerto de Cartagena by Captain Störtebricker

The harbour should reasamble the harbour of Cartagena de Indias which intense impression has burned into my mindn after a visit there. The city was one of the first foundations made by the spanish and became one of the connection point for the gold and silver routes. The fortifications of the city have been raided several times until they have been build as strong that no one could conquer them again. In 1585 the famous pirate Sir Francis Drake did so and conquered and looted the city. In the same year the main cathedral was finished, too. So I hope you can see what brought me to this idea.

51214262944_5632b4bcce_z.jpg

51213713668_a79726152a_z.jpg

The harbour consists of 3 parts (by now...):

El castillo:

49810744626_01e231136e_z.jpg

The fort on the hill could welcome you with a big volley so be sure that you are coming in on a frienndly mission.

It is situated on a rock with a cave underneath to hide some stuff you dont want to bring into the harbour. For pirates a skeleton shows then how they will be threated. The main tower is already been demolished and now converted to a small barrack. In front of the dorr there is a trap door throwing you into the cave. The fortress should be way bigger but for me it works as representing the first corner of the main fort. The doors lead you into the city...

49810192893_d9e461245c_z.jpg

49810745026_97f4e545a9_z.jpg

49810744631_d9e461245c_z.jpg

The colonial warehouse:

51213722048_750032c9bc_z.jpg

With the warhouse I tried to reassamble the famous colonia architecture. I features a fishing gear shop and a warehouse whti a big balcony. From there you can have a nice view on the main square in front of the cathedral...

51213722183_80efae5823_z.jpg

The cathedral:

51213714843_3ff7d1a56b_z.jpg

The main cathedral looks like a fortification but due to the rich inhabitants it has nice stained glass windows. But these inhabitants do not belive very much in god but more in gold so the altar is filled up with all the treasures stolen from the surrounding natives all around the caribbean.

So come in and take a closer look! The cathedrals has detachable roofs and can be accessed by minfigs on all levels.

51213502361_489cb8ae12_z.jpg

51213501676_e99a3fe278_m.jpg      51213726498_449d47d505_n.jpg

Besides the cathedral there is right now the tavern from POTC but it can easily be removed to continue the pier to expand the harbour... (which I hope I can do!) :pir-huzzah2:

All in all I hope you enjoyed your stay and be ready to set sail for your next adventour!

- Captain Störtebricker

(More fotos: Flickr Album Puerto de Cartagena )

Edited by Stoertebricker

16 hours ago, Stoertebricker said:

El castillo:

49810744626_01e231136e_z.jpg

The fort on the hill could welcome you with a big volley so be sure that you are coming in on a frienndly mission.

When did the Soldiers take occupation of El Puerto de Cartagena?

The Imperial Armada may need to take it back. Sooner, rather than later. The welcome will perhaps not be so friendly, :pir-devil:

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

When did the Soldiers take occupation of El Puerto de Cartagena?

The Imperial Armada may need to take it back. Sooner, rather than later. The welcome will perhaps not be so friendly, :pir-devil:

Damn it, the people around here will find everything :pir-oh: (before someone mentions it: the pier is floating in the air at two poles, it is due to my showcase where its displayed which has an edge there...)

Yes the spanish are reboulding the army because they are spread so rarely through the the official sets and I did not want to rip the crew of my Armada Brig and I needed some for my Aztec - Temple of the Jaguar, which will be shown here the next months, too. The Imperial Armada will be ready and take control back when the harbour is back from an exhibition in around 4 months. I will update some photos then! :pir_tong2:

Quite the town you've got there! 

Hopefully it is friendly enough so I may make port, eh? :pir-grin:

Amazing job! :pir-thumb:

The individual buildings look good. But all together as a city looks much better.

I’ve been lucky to visit Cartagena, I completely understand what you mean! One of the few only colonial cities left untouched in the Americas!!! You should visit Portobelo, you’ll have the same lasting impression except Francis Drake had his burial at the Sea there!!! Every gold from Cartagena ended up going to Portobelo before sailing to back through Hispaniola and finally Spain!

On 6/1/2021 at 6:15 PM, Jack Sassy said:

Quite the town you've got there! 

Hopefully it is friendly enough so I may make port, eh? :pir-grin:

When you scroll through the foto in the flickr album you find the Dying Gull moored in the harbour. There was a guy looking like your pic on board but he immediately ran to the tavern so I could not catch him on the foto :pir-huzzah1:

On 6/1/2021 at 7:44 PM, NOD said:

The individual buildings look good. But all together as a city looks much better.

It was always planned to form a city. I tried to make it modular (although the ground shapes are quite different) but when I can continue the harbour I want to be able to shift the different parts.

14 hours ago, eldiano said:

I’ve been lucky to visit Cartagena, I completely understand what you mean! One of the few only colonial cities left untouched in the Americas!!! You should visit Portobelo, you’ll have the same lasting impression except Francis Drake had his burial at the Sea there!!! Every gold from Cartagena ended up going to Portobelo before sailing to back through Hispaniola and finally Spain!

Yes I have heard about that town. Looks very nice but quite small on the fotos. When one day I make my dream come true - a sailing tour through the caribbean - I have to make a stop there!

Super cool!

I particularly like how it's full of detail and texture, while apparently not using excessively many pieces. Looks very playable too. Great job!

I really love the whole scene! There are so many things going on and so many details that you can look at it for quite some time and still find new things and cleverly used bricks! :pir-love:

On 6/5/2021 at 4:49 PM, VaneStream said:

Oh, I love this! Very beautiful and busy harbour!

On 6/6/2021 at 10:34 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Great harbour scene!

On 8/9/2021 at 12:18 PM, blackdeathgr said:

I really love the whole scene! There are so many things going on and so many details that you can look at it for quite some time and still find new things and cleverly used bricks! :pir-love:

Thanks @all!

Indeed it is less then 48studs deep and getting wider to the cathedral. I hope to continue the scene some day!

On 8/3/2021 at 12:22 PM, SleeplessNight said:

Super cool!

I particularly like how it's full of detail and texture, while apparently not using excessively many pieces. Looks very playable too. Great job!

Indeed you can play with it although there have to pass some years until someone is there to play with it... :pir-grin:

I forgot to ask if someone recomends to attach some of the harry-potter-hogwarts stickers to get some more details on the cathedrals panels, what do you think?

On 9/30/2021 at 10:52 PM, Stoertebricker said:

if someone recomends to attach some of the harry-potter-hogwarts stickers to get some more details on the cathedrals panels

I believe itt would be too much for your build as it is colorful already but it is a nice idea for one of your next mocs nevertheless