The Goddess: Hel

Entry for GOH's Anniversary Challenge: Tale.

Before continuing, make sure to read the prequel, so it makes (more) sense: Chapter I: The Last Eye
As always, a cup of warm beverage should go well from this point on. Enjoy!

The road tightened between two ebony walls, lost among grey twisting clouds, and Fiobvr felt the need to breath deep and swallow his own freezing breath to make sure his chest would fill. At the bottom, where the parallel walls met the ground, two wooden towers erupted next to a long wall of black timber, and a small, almost hidden gate hailed unlikely wanderers. In its front, a set of spikes carved onto the ground, pointed towards the road, and reminded unwelcomed visitors to turn on their heaves. What once was a forgotten village, almost overnight, had become a stronghold secluded from the world they all knew. The gorge.

A roar thundered, as the wind hissed and spit sideways defying the Norseman against a falling pit. Every move could mean a stumble and every stumble could be his last. Away from the dirt path, he walked unnoticed through the mountain, barely seeing beyond the fog. He climbed the ebony rock until he found a crack with a smooth surface and a canopy to protect from the storm, high enough for him to gaze inside the walls. And there he stood, deafened by an eternal whistle, watching the stillness of the gorge, where day and night were just the same, and no living person would pass by. Until one day, someone did.

From the snow-covered path, among the clouds that drifted low over the ground, a figure covered in pelts appeared as if from nowhere. He led a small cart pulled by a scrawny mule. Its load tightened under a blanket. He stood by the gates for longer than one should and waited to be greeted. But as far as he could tell, no one was around. Not at the watchtowers, not at the clearing path, and not a glow of a lamp light was seen in the past days. For what he knew, the place was empty. Yet, lifeless as it was, a buzzling sound clang and the crackling of wood echoed along the corridor formed by the mountains. A small fissure cut the wooden walls, and the gates of Völsung yawned open.

The cart rider dumped his load in the stronghold’s deserted patio. A dozen long and heavy sacks piled atop each other and rolled sideways on the snow. He dragged the sacks one by one, aligning them as a farmer prepares the land for a crop. Once all twelve sacks were displayed, he opened each, revealing twelve bare corpses that lay still on a cold white blanket.

The man rushed to his cart and pulled the reins, leaving behind a trail of death. On a ledge on the face of the mountain, one man stood still, grasping for an understanding that did not come.

But from beneath the wind, the storm, and the dancing fog, inside those walls, a faint orange light glistered at the base of the opposite ridge. What looked to be a wall of stone was turned into a hollow cloister inside the mountain. The faint light became brighter, and the silhouette of a person stood under the cold archway marking the entrance of a grotto. Its face was protected by a hood and a cloak clapped and flapped in the wind. A staff pierced the white ground as the person stood in front of the line of silent bodies. From inside the cave, ten, twenty, thirty men appeared carrying twelve wooden logs, cut, and scraped with perfection. Next to the corpses, those big chunks of wood were loosened. And as if moved by the same rhythm, like a dance they practiced over and over, all bodies were tied to the logs and lifted. Twelve pillars were pinned to the ground, pointing to grey skies, served as racks to the bodies, purple with cold that hung feet up and heads down, aiming at an empty bucked that trembled in the breeze.

The hooded figure then lifted her staff and pressed it against one of the hanging man’s chest that bent inwards with a crack. A black whole twinkled when the staff was pulled, and a black viscous liquid slithered across the man’s chest and neck. It drifted, dividing itself upon reaching his chin and ears, consuming his expressionless face before dripping on the bucket beneath him. And soon, she had twelve buckets filled with the black liquor of death.

All men walked back inside the cave, buckets in hand, as the woman followed. Her cloak flapping with excitement. She then stopped and turned, facing the pillars. As she opened her arms and bent her head to the sky, a glowing light kindled at the bottom of each pillar, fighting against the blowing ice with unfair advantage, for within a heartbeat, a small flare turned into a firepit that consumed twelve heads, twelve bodies, twelve men.

Just as it all started, the raging storm swiped, taking Fiobvr from his feet. Icicles flew, cutting the air with the force of a thousand blades. A roar bellowed from the sky and made the world tremble when the warrior heard a voice whisper in his head. The storm washed the clearing with a new layer of untouched snow, finding its way across the tight walls of the gorge. And where once was a woman, now remained only the shadowed entrance of a cave.

After two days tucked in a whole, up on the road, another cart appeared. The norseman left his post and moved behind the cart as it stopped by the piercing pikes and thick wooden walls of Völsung. As the rider waited on the thundering winds, Fiobvr sneaked under the cloth protecting the content, and waited in the dark, together with the cold remnants of his fellow northern men. A roar echoed through the gorge and the cart moved once again. Fiobvr closed his eyes and let himself be manipulated. Tossed, pushed, and dragged on the snow, he struggled to contain his grunts and shivers. And once the cart rider rode back to where he came, the warrior opened his eyes to see a line of twelve bodies resting on the ground, where he was the thirteenth. He shook the snow, ran, and ducked next to the entrance of the cave, praying he had remained unseen.

Within moments, that faint orange light glistered from inside the cave once again, and an army of men walked out, followed by a woman. Her face was painted blue, and she held a staff ornamented with teeth and bones, dragging a line on the pale ground.

Fiobvr was fast to sneak inside the cave. While he made his way past tunnels and wholes, the idea of a staff piercing his chest crossed his mind and a taste of metal touched his tongue.

Daemon's Throne

The snow dissipated inside the cave, and for a moment, the warrior felt lost under the faint glow of the torches. But beneath the dust that covered the ground, he noticed the weak markings of a trail. He followed. His steps echoed with the slightest move, and found himself in a room, where the air turned thick and warm, and the stone walls flashed like fire. A set of pillars held the ceiling from falling, and a set of steps, carved in the stone, led to an altar, where a thousand candles burned. But among the tinkling blaze and the muffled scent of smoke, a pile of bones intertwined and melded to form the throne of an unborn king. It was an ugly thing. Cracked bones made the throne’s arms, spines made the spindles, femurs made the uneven frame of the rails, and every inch made Fiobvr shiver with the sour taste of his stomach.

Next to the throne, he saw a bowl made of rock. It was filled with a thick dark liquid that lay still and shone with the blaze of the candlelight. Fiobvr examined and thought of those men tied overturned in the open.

But from the narrow entrance of the room, he heard the mumble of footsteps, and a faint glowing light swept the ground. He ran and hid behind a pillar, watching the room get smaller and smaller. The ground shook, and an army approached, moved by the power of one piece: the sorceress. 

Daemon's Throne

Eleven buckets were emptied in the basin, and it drank the liquid with an unhuman thirst. The walls narrowed and a wind swiped. The deep echo of a voice, exulting in a feast sounded when the buckets filled the bowl, calming its belly, and pleasing its spirit.

“Feed me”, it said in a deep voice that rang in the warrior’s chest. And as the twelfth bucket spilled its content, a drop cracked the surface and slithered to the floor.

All men kneeled as the sorceress stood feet away from the basin and turned, staring at the twisted empty throne. Arms wide open, she bent her head to the ceiling and the white balls in her sockets glistered with the dancing light of the candles. She then uttered words he could not understand and struck her staff on the floor, when a cold wind swiped, darkening the room in an unbroken shadow, leaving behind a fumed scent. An empty silence prevailed.

But the tinkle of a drop hitting the surface shredded the stillness of the void, followed by another drop and one further. And the gutting growl of a beast echoed in a slow demonic breather, confronting all men’s beliefs. A single candle kept its light, and under a faint glow he saw the throne was no longer empty.

The sorceress hissed with a trembling voice and a few more candles lit, revealing what Fiobvr never though his eyes would see. Atop the altar, materialized what could only be the proof the Gods had turn their backs on the land of the living. For there stood a beast that was not living nor dead. A shadow drifted on floor and as it thickened, it formed the whiskered hooves of a goat, wrapped in a sinuous tail. Following its belt, it built the naked torso of a man. A layer of stretched skin covered the remnants of its pale flesh hanging from a whole amidst the broken bones of an opened chest. From atop his head, two horns twisted over edged ears. But those eyes... made of the piercing flame of the Ancient Ones, were soaked in angst and horror. They took every breath, every glimpse, and every soul. Two red eyes cut the dark, iced the room and filled it in dismay.

Daemon's Throne

“Look me in the eye and face your summoner”, the sorceress found her voice looking straight at the beast, as it muttered a visceral rumble like a starving animal.

“Take me to your garden and open your gates to me, for now what divides our worlds apart... is no more” she shouted, as the beast roared and clamped its boned jaw.

“Embrace me as your own and let us seek those who oppose our ways. Take me to an eternal life and let us rule the world from beneath the earth, from above the clouds and from between the winds”. She cried, as the candles raged across the room with a raging whistle.

“Take my hand and I’ll raise as the Goddess of Life and Death!”. With open arms, she reached out her hand. The beast did the same as its cold fingers touched the woman’s flesh. Their fingers entwined and never parted. Beast and sorceress walked to the throne at the center of the room, as they revealed to the world their unity in a ceremony despised by the gods. The woman sat, chin up and spine stretched, as her smile glistered in the fire, and a soft voice reverberated once more:

“My queen...”.

With the flick of a candlelight, just as the spirit appeared, the cave was left in the dark, and both vanished in the air, into the underworld, leaving behind an empty throne made of bones.

Fiobvr found himself alone, walking through the dark tunnels of Völsung. He found its way out of the fortress, out of the fog, but his mind never left. Three days passed as he approached the flowing banners that marked the entrance to the village he knew so well. A hollow belly and the memories of a horned spirit loaded his thoughts. But the jittering and mumbling of wandering people, merchants shouting, and farmers farming was blurred by an unusual silence that made Fiobvr’s throat tighten once again. He led his hand over his chest, searching for a hole that he could not see, but swore was there. His hand lowered and squeezed the hilt of his sword as his feet sunk in the snow.

There, where four familiar walls made of stone met, remained nothing but a colorful sea of distant memories fading with the white snow. Buried in the cold, the souls of a thousand loved ones searched for the rascal that inflicted their tragic fate. Two red eyes that would forever stare into Fiobvr’s dreams.

Hel.

THE END.

Louis of Nutwood
For Mitgardia!

If you've reached this point, thank you so much for reading through.
Please, let me know what you think of the build and the story. 

Skol!

Geez, this MOC looks like a movie set or something.  Very imposing!  You've definitely developed a personal style with your rockwork often incorporating striations of color and it's well done here as well.  Some kind of crazy fit of inspiration or table scrap fiddling must have struck you with respect to the throne itself; it's just perfect!

2 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

Geez, this MOC looks like a movie set or something.  Very imposing!  You've definitely developed a personal style with your rockwork often incorporating striations of color and it's well done here as well.  Some kind of crazy fit of inspiration or table scrap fiddling must have struck you with respect to the throne itself; it's just perfect!

I'm really glad you liked it, MRCP! Rockwork is something eventually everyone incorporates in their build, so it means a lot I might have come to a personal style. The color mixing came as a brick limitation, and now it's developed to something I'm quite fond of. And hey! The throne was a last addition that came with table scrap fiddling indeed! It's awesome you liked it, as I'm pretty happy with it too. Cheers, lad! Skol!

Black, dark brown, brown... what a great color progression, it really looks good.  Excellent rockwork too, and the white bones pop so well!  Great pillar technique too!

2 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Black, dark brown, brown... what a great color progression, it really looks good.  Excellent rockwork too, and the white bones pop so well!  Great pillar technique too!

I'm thrilled you liked it, Kai! The final result was better than expected considering my poor photography skills, I must confess. And color contrasts worked out! Yay! 
Thanks for the support, man, as always. Skol!

Very nice build.  As Kai NRG said the transition of colors is wonderful.  The throne itself looks great.  I like all the candles to illuminate the throne and steps.  The pillars are nicely detailed.  Interesting story too.  

11 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Very nice build.  As Kai NRG said the transition of colors is wonderful.  The throne itself looks great.  I like all the candles to illuminate the throne and steps.  The pillars are nicely detailed.  Interesting story too

I'm really glad you liked the color transition and the story, Zoth! I'm happy you mentioned the candles. At first sight, they all looked to me like a toilet paper deposit of some sort, but it's good to know they work as candles. Yeah, there are better pieces for it, but we have to work with what's available. The pillars are something I've been wanting to do for some time, and that throne was certainly a spark of inspiration. Thanks for the support, lad. Cheers!

Fantastic story.  After your clarifications on your last story, I was able to follow this one much better.  I really liked reading it, and was able to imagine everything.  The build itself is very nice.  I particularly like the bone throne.  It really looks like it's made out of bones!  The bone decorations around the base are a nice touch as well.  That faun really looks sinister and demonic with the new head!  The color layering with the browns works, and you did a great job placing tons of candles at irregular intervals to give it a cult feel.  The columns at the top hint at more structure without eating up a ton of bricks, so great job!  I would have loved to see the sorceress as well, and think she would have been a great extra shot since you built the main structure anyway.  I can see some interesting star wars fig parts that could work for her... Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this story goes!

Great job continuing the story and linking your two CDC1 submissions.  I will say I do have some questions about the people of Völsung: were they the ones making the sacrifices and living 'above ground'?

The throne on the rocky platform is terrific and the numerous candles set the mood well.

2 hours ago, jtooker said:

Great job continuing the story and linking your two CDC1 submissions.  I will say I do have some questions about the people of Völsung: were they the ones making the sacrifices and living 'above ground'?

The throne on the rocky platform is terrific and the numerous candles set the mood well.

I'm thrilled you liked it, JTooker! To connect the two entries was the objective from the start.
And yeah! The people in Völsung are the ones making the sacrifices, communicating with the underworld god that sits by the throne of bones.
Thanks for the support, lad!

3 hours ago, Grover said:

Fantastic story.  After your clarifications on your last story, I was able to follow this one much better.  I really liked reading it, and was able to imagine everything.  The build itself is very nice.  I particularly like the bone throne.  It really looks like it's made out of bones!  The bone decorations around the base are a nice touch as well.  That faun really looks sinister and demonic with the new head!  The color layering with the browns works, and you did a great job placing tons of candles at irregular intervals to give it a cult feel.  The columns at the top hint at more structure without eating up a ton of bricks, so great job!  I would have loved to see the sorceress as well, and think she would have been a great extra shot since you built the main structure anyway.  I can see some interesting star wars fig parts that could work for her... Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this story goes!

Hey, Grover! I'm happy you liked the story and mentioned a few aspects of the build I'm pleased with. I'm specially glad you liked both builds and texts connected. And yeah, I spent some time trying to assemble a good figure for the sorceress, but ended up giving up. Any suggestions would come in greatly! Cheers! And thanks for the much welcomed support. Skol!

Great bone throne. Wow. And the demon fig is great use of different parts to enhance the original faun fig.

18 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Great bone throne. Wow. And the demon fig is great use of different parts to enhance the original faun fig.

Really glad you liked it, Mccoyed! The throne was a burst of inspiration, and I'm very happy with the result. 
I wanted to use a variation of the Faun for quite some time, and it seemed like a great opportunity.
Skol, mate! Thanks for the support.

Evil, evil! this moc gives me the creeps. :devil:
Nice job with the overall construction, specially the bone throne.

On 6/12/2021 at 11:07 AM, Niku said:

Evil, evil! this moc gives me the creeps. :devil:
Nice job with the overall construction, specially the bone throne.

Really glad you liked it, Niku! 
The throne was a last-minute addition, and certainly a flash of inspiration. 
Cheers, mate! Thanks for the support.