TalusMoonbreaker

CDC1 Tower: Torre Orientale

A53F89BB-D185-40D0-85F4-21001B33BCE6.jpe

I had arrived at Torre Orientale early in the morning, the Illyrian sun gleaming off the tower’s whitewash. According to the owners of the neighboring palazzo, the top of the tower had been destroyed during the escape on dragonback of the short-lived Rego, Rufus Baiamonte. I didn’t believe this ridiculous leggenda, although the debris from the tower had caused severe damage to Palazzo Occienega. The family had patronized me for the last week as I arranged the clearing of the rubble and made plans for the rebuilding of their stately home. The workers were already scrambling over the scaffolding; the work had just begun, but then a cry, an interruption. A gaudily dressed servant of mine papà walked down the narrow cobbled path alongside the canal.

“Ilazio, terribly news! You must come back with me to La Villa Moccenigo in Porto Caglaveri”, he said to me.

“Yes, I know where my family lives. Is it news from mine cousin Salvadore in Kaliphlin?”

“No, it is far worse mio Signore.”

“Explain”

Tuo Papà, Signore Brabantio, was found dead!”

I felt my heart skip a few beats. It had been weeks since I had seen any of my family, Ristoro had gotten married last I’d seen him. 

“Several crossbow bolts were found in him. Mio Signore, I think your father was assassinated.”

“Good to know. Why he was murdered and if anyone else in mia famiglia is in danger from the assassins are more important right now”, I replied to the servant calmly, although inside I felt like a carrack in a storm. I then told the foreman that I had to take my leave and where the plans for the tower were kept. I’d briefed him beforehand on how it was to be constructed, so I had no worries in that regard. 

“If you will then, follow me, Signore Moccenigo”, he replied a bit stiffly. My response had most likely unsettled him. I would’ve been too had I known what the next six months would bring. 

Edited by TalusMoonbreaker
fixed photo :)

Very nice!  I love how you easily assimilated the Varlyrio architecture.  It's very recognizable, and the stonework along the canal edge is great.  I like how the dark tan and the sand green work well together.  Very nice job and I look forward to seeing where the story goes!

Ooooh, the beautiful Varlyrian canals are a feast for the eye!
Very cool architecture. I really like the round solution you brought to the tower. Really cool and pleasant color choices. And I really like the fact it is "unfinished", still under construction. 

And YES! Rufus Baiamonte lives! Long live the story of Rufus Baiamonte, the Mad Rego! Such an honor to read these words, for a good story lives forever in the mouths and fires and inn tables and gatherings across the globe. May Varlyrio find its peace and may the canals one day get cleaned. I salute you, sire!

Awesome work, lad. 

19 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

Instantly recognizable as Varlyrian!  :thumbup:

Thanks! 

On 5/31/2021 at 7:30 AM, caiman0637 said:

Nice build!

Thanks!

On 5/31/2021 at 1:58 PM, Grover said:

Very nice!  I love how you easily assimilated the Varlyrio architecture.  It's very recognizable, and the stonework along the canal edge is great.  I like how the dark tan and the sand green work well together.  Very nice job and I look forward to seeing where the story goes!

Thanks! I agree, it’s a great color scheme. I looked at actual Venetian and Italian structures such as the Palazzo Ducale in Venice for inspiration and was lucky enough to visit Venice a few years ago.

On 5/31/2021 at 9:16 PM, Louis of Nutwood said:

Ooooh, the beautiful Varlyrian canals are a feast for the eye!
Very cool architecture. I really like the round solution you brought to the tower. Really cool and pleasant color choices. And I really like the fact it is "unfinished", still under construction. 

And YES! Rufus Baiamonte lives! Long live the story of Rufus Baiamonte, the Mad Rego! Such an honor to read these words, for a good story lives forever in the mouths and fires and inn tables and gatherings across the globe. May Varlyrio find its peace and may the canals one day get cleaned. I salute you, sire!

Awesome work, lad. 

I thank thee, Sir Louis. I’m glad you liked the round, underconstruction tower! I knew most would go for more square, finished towers, so I wanted to make something different, and time was also a factor for that decision.

Yes, I knew you’d like the little inclusion of the mad Rego himself! Fealt like a fun way to insert Ilazio’s story into the world. And yes, hopefully our canals will be scrubbed clean one day. Maybe Bob can find a new job in Varlyrio.

Edited by TalusMoonbreaker

1 hour ago, TalusMoonbreaker said:

Maybe Bob can find a new job in Varlyrio.

Oh, but he has! (Second link has Bob in the spoilers at the bottom).

I like the colors.  The stone work looks nice.  Neat flag.  The arches look good around the windows.  

Great colors!  I too could recognize the Varlyrian style, which you captured well.

Is this your first build for Varlyrio? If so welcome! The story is awesome, with the use of Italian, he intrigue, and the suspense! Best of all I like the simple but interesting dress of the lackey, marking him clearly as a servant compared to the main character! 

Also amused by this line, haha :laugh: "I didn’t believe this ridiculous leggenda, although the debris from the tower had caused severe damage to Palazzo Occienega."

Edited by W Navarre

2 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Is this your first build for Varlyrio? If so welcome! The story is awesome, with the use of Italian, he intrigue, and the suspense! Best of all I like the simple but interesting dress of the lackey, marking him clearly as a servant compared to the main character! 

Also amused by this line, haha :laugh: "I didn’t believe this ridiculous leggenda, although the debris from the tower had caused severe damage to Palazzo Occienega."

Indeed it is! Thanks! Grazie! A lot of the story was inspired by La Cospirazione, including the use of Italiano. (The Varlyrio guild challenge stories were amazing and part of the deciding factor for me joining.) Glad you liked the story and that one line made you laugh!

3 hours ago, TalusMoonbreaker said:

Indeed it is! Thanks! Grazie! A lot of the story was inspired by La Cospirazione, including the use of Italiano. (The Varlyrio guild challenge stories were amazing and part of the deciding factor for me joining.) Glad you liked the story and that one line made you laugh!

Thank you! I'll tell you a secret. They were also super fun to create! Working with my companions and with another team as well was very exciting, we had great times, and I would love to collaborate with you if I have the time! What do you think?

8 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Thank you! I'll tell you a secret. They were also super fun to create! Working with my companions and with another team as well was very exciting, we had great times, and I would love to collaborate with you if I have the time! What do you think?

Definitely! I’m a bit busy at the moment & my desk is a mess, but I’m up for brainstorming!

Did I never comment on this here??  Nicely done, my fellow Varlyrian! - great touch with those double arches, and sideways approach works remarkably well for that tower!  Quite the tulmutuous start to your storyline as well, looking forward to seeing where it takes you! :wink:

What a nice, clean build! Who would have guessed this would be the first build in such an epic collaboration to come? I particularly like the tan technic crosspins in the white bricks. A really nice look. Excellent "gaudily dressed" servant. Where is the torso from?