RiGi

[TC20] 8872 Forklift Transporter

On 6/22/2021 at 9:38 PM, Jundis said:

Looks very good :-)

As you are going for precision: The rear end of the forklift is a little too wide.. only 1 stud liftarm in the middle and the panels on the side should look more like the original, though there is no half stuf bushing then ;-)

Thanks!

Haha yeah, that's a fair point... I guess I'm going for precision with a hint of artistic licence :wink:

Reducing the width at the rear end is on my list of things to try and tweak at some point, but I think it's gonna prove to be tricky to find a solution that can include that half bush.. But half the fun is trying to find solutions to these kind of challenges! :laugh:

15 hours ago, mpj said:

It is simply lovely!

Thanks! :classic:

Update time!

The forklift is largely finished now:

800x600.jpg

The arms for the lifting mechanism were a bit of a pain to find a solution that was 2 studs wide but with the holes running down the centre. I'm pretty happy with my solution, even if it isn't necessarily the most elegant thing in the world! :laugh:

I've stuck with the wider rear end for the time being:

800x600.jpg

At the moment the chassis is 5 studs wide to act as a limiter on the steering angle (without this the wheels rub on the panels above at full lock). If I reduce the width of the rear end, you can then see the end of the chassis which doesn't look great overall.  I'm still open to reducing the width at the rear, but it's going to involve some reworking of the chassis, and finding a different solution to limit the steering angle.  That said, I do quite like the wider rear end - I think it fits pretty well with the chunkier overall feel of my forklift.

800x600.jpg

I've ended up making the forks 2 studs wide rather than 1 stud like the original.  Initially that was simply because I couldn't come up with a solution that didn't involve the use of an L-shaped piece to attach the 7L liftarm to, but I actually think the wider fork suits the overall look of my version, so I'm happy with the result!

I've also settled on a neater solution for the front of the trailer, which I think looks a lot better than the slapped on 3x11 panel I had before:

800x600.jpg

And finally here's a couple of shots of the whole model:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I think the model is largely complete now. Apart from a couple of colour changes, the only bits left to potentially change are the gap above the front wheels on the truck and the width of the rear end of the forklift. I am of course open to any other constructive criticism anyone may have :classic:

I wouldn't touch the forklift, because it looks good and it's not really about being that pedantic, I think. The gap over the wheels is right in your face and probably some more modern Technic approach should be applied there.

I would consider adding details like mirrors and lights in places where current Technic sets would have them. Maybe adding 1L liftarm/pin bushing on the cranks instead of bare pin connector?

I'd swap that red 16T gear in the lifting mechanism for a LBG one on an axle, just to clean up the colors a bit. 

On 7/4/2021 at 12:39 AM, SaperPL said:

I wouldn't touch the forklift, because it looks good and it's not really about being that pedantic, I think. The gap over the wheels is right in your face and probably some more modern Technic approach should be applied there.

I would consider adding details like mirrors and lights in places where current Technic sets would have them. Maybe adding 1L liftarm/pin bushing on the cranks instead of bare pin connector?

Thanks. I do like how the forklift looks as it is, so I'm most likely going to leave it as it is. I might still try making a separate version with a narrower rear end just to see how it compares side-by-side.  The gap over the truck wheels will definitely be reduced - I'd forgotten that the original has a black stripe below the red beam, so I can add that in below on mine and it should fill the gap a bit better.

That's a good idea about adding things like mirrors/lights, thanks. Since I've already put in steering wheels that aren't on the original, it makes sense to add those extra little details too.  That's also a good shout about the pin connectors on the cranks - thanks!

On 7/4/2021 at 1:03 AM, 2GodBDGlory said:

I'd swap that red 16T gear in the lifting mechanism for a LBG one on an axle, just to clean up the colors a bit. 

Thanks, yeah, that red 16T gear does bother me cos it kinda sticks out colour-wise compared to the rest of the model... Unfortunately at the moment the 3L pins with bushes help maintain the rigidity of the frame, but I think I'll try and rework the frame a bit so I can swap that red 16T gear for a LBG one on an axle.

Forklift looks great. I would work on a truck. Maybe try to replace the door posts in the truck cabin. From liftarm to conectors. The cabin could also be done a little higher because now it seems too wide.

On 7/5/2021 at 2:06 PM, Samolot said:

Forklift looks great. I would work on a truck. Maybe try to replace the door posts in the truck cabin. From liftarm to conectors. The cabin could also be done a little higher because now it seems too wide.

Thanks! I had the same thought about the door posts, so I've made that change.  I know what you mean about the height of the cabin, but from side on it's exactly the same as the original, so I'm gonna keep it at that height.

I finally had time to work on the model some more.  I've reworked the sides of the cabin, adding in the black stripe below the red panels and some wing mirrors:

800x600.jpg

But not only that, I ended up making them into openable doors!

800x600.jpg

And I also got my armrests in, so I'm much happier all round with the cabin now!

I've made some very minor changes to the front of the trailer, and added some lights to the back:

800x600.jpg

The biggest changes though are on the forklift...

I managed to rework the rear of the chassis and find an alternative way of limiting the steering angle (mostly through pure luck :laugh:) which meant I could make the rear narrower to stay more in keeping with the original:

800x600.jpg

I had to compromise on the half bush I wanted at the back, but I'm mostly happy with the alternative.

And finally I reworked the lift support frame using the new 15L alternate hole liftarms, which is much sturdier than my previous version (and also added a couple of orange lights over the front wheels and some wing mirrors):

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

And... I think I'm finally finished!

800x600.jpg

This has been a super fun project! Well apart from attaching the fork to the chain... Now I remember why the first time my parents heard me swear was while I was making this set as a kid :laugh:

Wow, you've chosen a nice set for this contest! Really a fun project and I really like your version, well done!

There are some details where I would consider a more modern interpretation:

• the HOG-steering Trans-Yellow Brick, Round is really classic
  • same for the headlights White Tile 1 x 2 

Another tiny detail is the crank for tilting the beam/forks. Now it look like you can turn this round multiple times, but it is just a forward/backward switch. So I would make this a switch. And finally I'm not sure the forklift wing mirrors are an enhancement, just keep the clean look of the original cabin.

This is so well done! 

This was a set I always wanted as a kid. Great work!

On 7/19/2021 at 10:16 AM, GerritvdG said:

Wow, you've chosen a nice set for this contest! Really a fun project and I really like your version, well done!

There are some details where I would consider a more modern interpretation:

• the HOG-steering Trans-Yellow Brick, Round is really classic
  • same for the headlights White Tile 1 x 2 

Another tiny detail is the crank for tilting the beam/forks. Now it look like you can turn this round multiple times, but it is just a forward/backward switch. So I would make this a switch. And finally I'm not sure the forklift wing mirrors are an enhancement, just keep the clean look of the original cabin.

Thanks! I know what you mean about the HOG steering Trans-Yellow brick, a modern set would probably use a black gear instead of that, but I think having a fake warning beacon as the HOG steering is a key part of the look of the model, and I'm not sure there's a more modern equivalent part? Similarly, a modern set would probably use Trans-Clear tiles for the headlights, but I wanted to keep some of the more iconic details of the set as close to the original as possible :)

I see what you mean about the crank for tilting the beam/forks, but weirdly I think the switches on the original look quite old-fashioned on a modern set, but I realise others may think differently! Likewise, I appreciate the wing mirrors on the forklift may not be to everyone's taste (not all forklifts have wing mirrors after all), but I really like them! :)

On 7/20/2021 at 1:05 AM, weavil said:

This is so well done! 

This was a set I always wanted as a kid. Great work!

Thanks! :)

EDIT:

I know it's not part of the original set, and it probably won't make it into my official entry submission photos, but I couldn't resist making a pallet and some barrels for the forklift to carry! :D

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Edited by RiGi

44 minutes ago, RiGi said:

but I couldn't resist making a pallet and some barrels for the forklift to carry!

Nice, it's about fun and playability :laugh:

44 minutes ago, RiGi said:

nd I'm not sure there's a more modern equivalent part?

Yes, an upside down Trans-Orange Brick, Round 2 x 2 with Axle Hole with Plate, Round 2 x 2 with Rounded Bottom like on the 6x6 Volvo Articulated Hauler

3 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

Nice, it's about fun and playability :laugh:

Yes, an upside down Trans-Orange Brick, Round 2 x 2 with Axle Hole with Plate, Round 2 x 2 with Rounded Bottom like on the 6x6 Volvo Articulated Hauler

Ooh! That's a good shout, thanks! I'm not too familiar with the construction vehicle sets :laugh:

Luckily I actually had those pieces in my fairly limited selection of system parts!

800x600.jpg

For anyone that may be interested, I've made a digital version of the model in Studio that can be downloaded here:  https://bricksafe.com/files/RiGi/8872---forklift-transporter/8872_ForkliftTransporterStudless.io

800x600.png

I may make proper instructions at some point, but this is my first digital model and I'm still learning how to use Studio, so it may not be for be a while :laugh:

(On a side note, is there a particular file format for digital models that is generally preferred? I noticed Studio can export to several other different file formats)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I think nowadays everybody has Studio installed on their computer, so we can open the file and export to the preferred format :wink:

A big thanks for sharing! A friend of mine has kept his 8872 from when he was a kid and I know he loves it, so I am sure he will be much interested with this revival MOC!

On 9/9/2021 at 10:19 AM, RiGi said:

For anyone that may be interested, I've made a digital version of the model in Studio that can be downloaded here:  https://bricksafe.com/files/RiGi/8872---forklift-transporter/8872_ForkliftTransporterStudless.io

How do you find using Studio? I've tried it probably 3 years ago and it was definetly not up to my standards of construction. Is it easy to rotate pieces, places pieces in obscure/covered areas etc? Quite off topic I know.

On 9/9/2021 at 6:49 AM, mpj said:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I think nowadays everybody has Studio installed on their computer, so we can open the file and export to the preferred format :wink:

Thanks! I figured Studio would be pretty commonly used, but wasn't sure! :laugh:

On 9/10/2021 at 6:30 AM, Carsten Svendsen said:

How do you find using Studio? I've tried it probably 3 years ago and it was definetly not up to my standards of construction. Is it easy to rotate pieces, places pieces in obscure/covered areas etc? Quite off topic I know.

I'm probably not the best person to ask, to be honest! I've not used any other Lego-based design software so don't really have anything to compare it to (apart from other non-Lego 3D modelling software I use for work).  In terms of constructing this model, Studio was pretty straightforward to use once I'd learned the basics.  Rotating pieces was pretty easy and you can temporarily hide pieces from displaying to make placing pieces in covered areas easier.  My model is fairly simple though, with only a few bits of "off-square" geometry, so I can't really comment on how well it works for constructing more complex geometries/models :classic:

9 hours ago, RiGi said:

I'm probably not the best person to ask, to be honest! I've not used any other Lego-based design software so don't really have anything to compare it to (apart from other non-Lego 3D modelling software I use for work).  In terms of constructing this model, Studio was pretty straightforward to use once I'd learned the basics.  Rotating pieces was pretty easy and you can temporarily hide pieces from displaying to make placing pieces in covered areas easier.  My model is fairly simple though, with only a few bits of "off-square" geometry, so I can't really comment on how well it works for constructing more complex geometries/models :classic:

Thank you, even though you are not experienced with LEGO CAD software, I asked you exactly because of that. I've been wanting to make a 3D model of my FastBale for a while now, but the Studio software wasn't that great back in 2019. And I haven't really been modeling before, except with SR3D Builder which unfortunately was the best software out there until the creator died. I'll take a closer look at Studio during this lockdown, I have a feeling it's going to last for a few more weeks.

Instructions are finally completed and available for free on Rebrickable:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-89526/RiGi/8872-forklift-transporter-studless-remake/

There is also an updated Studio file available on Rebrickable as well - I noticed a couple of minor errors with the original while I was making the instructions :facepalm:

This is my first time making instructions, so if anyone has any feedback on them feel free to let me know! :)