Legochaek

LEGOcon - 26th June announcement

I was going to create a thread about this myself!

What feels like a very long time ago, in February 2020 before COVID hit, LEGO showed ‘Night Mode’ kits to gauge people’s reactions, which I think were generally positive.  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.brickfanatics.com/official-lego-night-mode-lighting-kits-revealed-at-lego-world/amp/

However, they weren’t their actual sets, but rather Light My Bricks’ (you can tell from one particular picture and there’s a very angry Brickstuff post) and I assume that they are now finally ready to produce their own.  The 26th June announcement shows a lit up brick so it’s my most logical conclusion...

I am really looking forward to it.

Lego and leds make a great effect, but its either expensive or cheaply constructed (or even both)

I am pretty sure if lego does his own version, it should be great quality.

Now, how expensive will it be? Will it be easy to use in moc?

When i take a look on existing motors and lights done by lego, i am not that confident..

34 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I was going to create a thread about this myself!

What feels like a very long time ago, in February 2020 before COVID hit, LEGO showed ‘Night Mode’ kits to gauge people’s reactions, which I think were generally positive.  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.brickfanatics.com/official-lego-night-mode-lighting-kits-revealed-at-lego-world/amp/

However, they weren’t their actual sets, but rather Light My Bricks’ (you can tell from one particular picture and there’s a very angry Brickstuff post) and I assume that they are now finally ready to produce their own.  The 26th June announcement shows a lit up brick so it’s my most logical conclusion...

Hmm okay, thanks! By the look of that brick maybe they’ll be neon light? Which, by the way, would be awesome for a nightclub MOC. Or fireworks. :laugh:

I guess it would make sense, as before PU, we had lights to go with PF, so I would expect at some time they would do the same with PU. Unless of course they already have and I am just not aware of it, lol.

A dedicated lighting system would be great and would fill a huge gap in Lego's official offerings. I'm hoping that whatever Lego has come up with is a little more "self-contained" than those third-party kits—something a little less fragile and finicky and a little more up to the standard we expect of Lego's own offerings as far as the installation experience is concerned.

Oh damn I would love official light kits! Now I kinda regret buying all the Light My Brick Ninjago City kits. I wonder how they'll tackle it though because they wouldn't sell these for retired sets would they?

I already have the LMB put into my Tree House, and it's amazing. Lights really do elevate LEGO to a professional display

Edited by Modal

Light kits, huh? That sounds pretty neat!

Well, we will wait until we find out when it’s June 26. Boy, I am looking forward for it!

12 hours ago, Lyichir said:

A dedicated lighting system would be great and would fill a huge gap in Lego's official offerings. I'm hoping that whatever Lego has come up with is a little more "self-contained" than those third-party kits—something a little less fragile and finicky and a little more up to the standard we expect of Lego's own offerings as far as the installation experience is concerned.

Indeed that's the point. Nobody needs another lighting set with hair-thin wiring that tangles up and can't be controlled. That and of course we really need "good" lighting with controls for brightness and color (temperature) as opposed to those overly bright, cheap kits you can buy currently.

Mylenium

The chromatic aberration effect made think of TikTok

Hope they'll reveal something interesing 

The Marvel CMFs reveal would be perfect for an event like this

On 5/28/2021 at 8:10 PM, Lyichir said:

something a little less fragile and finicky and a little more up to the standard we expect of Lego's own offerings as far as the installation experience is concerned

For motors, and partly for sensors (because they are usually located at - well - "restricted" areas, where boldness sucks) I can see that. However, when it comes to lighting, a 6 wire PUp LED or the like is very often - well - counterproductive. I can see the LEGO approach of making it a) less experienced proof and b) for hundreds if not thousands of rebuilt structures, cars, trains, etc. However, when wanting to light up a modular or any other semi-permanent model or MOC, all that finicky may be well suited. Hiding such wires is much easier than any of the LEGO wires I am aware of, maybe except for 9V wires (partly, as they were available in meters length). 

It all depends, I guess.

I for myself use custom wires, as "tiny" and fragile as possible, just allowing to flow current with acceptable voltage drop to remote LEDs. To light up structures and track side. Which are kind of static here ;) Which translates to ever decreasing space ... not the LEGO idea, but mine :pir-huzzah2:

Best
Thorsten

2 hours ago, Toastie said:

For motors, and partly for sensors (because they are usually located at - well - "restricted" areas, where boldness sucks) I can see that. However, when it comes to lighting, a 6 wire PUp LED or the like is very often - well - counterproductive. I can see the LEGO approach of making it a) less experienced proof and b) for hundreds if not thousands of rebuilt structures, cars, trains, etc. However, when wanting to light up a modular or any other semi-permanent model or MOC, all that finicky may be well suited. Hiding such wires is much easier than any of the LEGO wires I am aware of, maybe except for 9V wires (partly, as they were available in meters length). 

It all depends, I guess.

I for myself use custom wires, as "tiny" and fragile as possible, just allowing to flow current with acceptable voltage drop to remote LEDs. To light up structures and track side. Which are kind of static here ;) Which translates to ever decreasing space ... not the LEGO idea, but mine :pir-huzzah2:

Best
Thorsten

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't want something as bulky as the Power Functions/Powered Up wires. If that were the best we could hope for, there really wouldn't be much need to advance beyond the bulky, slightly hard to use Power Functions lights. But I feel like there's got to be a half-decent middle ground between the bulk of those systems and the intricacy of most third-party systems. There'd still be a place for more professional "non-purist" solutions, but I think something a little bit more accessible to newbies and suited for reconfiguration could have a niche.

In any case, the reveal that this teaser was actually for "LegoCon" somewhat negates the point of this speculation—unless, of course, a lighting system is among the reveals at that event.

Edited by Lyichir

23 hours ago, lowlead said:

Last I checked today is June 1st, not April 1st.

Lame :hmpf:

22 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Well, that was disappointing.

Why? Is the virtual event something bad that we’d be better off without? If people were hoping for a specific new product launch, wouldn’t a big event that might well be full of multiple product launches be good?

I’m looking forward to it. I bet it’ll be fun!

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Why?

Umm...because that was my initial reaction - that I felt for a couple reasons.  Am I obligated to reply to you with a multi-paragraph tome?

Tell you what, I'll humor you cuz I'm a nice guy :sweet:  I reacted the way I did because of the manner/aesthetic of the marketing tease, followed by a reveal that seemingly has little to nothing to do with said tease.  I believe I'm not alone when I broadcast some hope for an innovative LEGO Brand system of lighting, and the look and tagline of this tease strongly suggested that's what was coming.  Furthermore, I believe people are becoming weary of virtual anything.  We're social animals that have been cooped up for more than a year - virtual events are sounding very tiresome to my ears.  Please, please don't deep dive into the social and political talking points of the pandemic - these are just my opinions and observations.  Also, I like to use hyperbole cuz it's fun.  Have an awesome day!

12 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Did anyone here watch this ?

How was it ? 

Reviews seem to be, to put it nicely, not so good. “A waste of time” is a phrase I read a lot. I didn’t watch because nothing interested me enough to watch. It’s neat that they’re doing these. I watched the one where they revealed the Police Station Modular, it was a bit cheesy but fairly fun to watch. 

That I don't get

Why bother to do something like this if you're not going to reveal something interesting to bring the attention of the community

Why werent' the Marvel CMF revealed today? They will be out in a month or so anyway

And the Vidiyo Bandmates Series 2 were revealed 6 MONTHS before the release date

Actually, revealing both today would have been perfect for the event

My review of LegoCon is... It was okay. It didn't blow me away.

The pre-show stuff showing off some people's builds was pretty cool; I could have done with more build photos and more in-depth "Here's this thing about my build" and less of the generic interview-y stuff, though. I get they want to push the theme that these people's builds are enriching to their lives/socially important/whatever, but, I'm just not that into that stuff; I wanna see builds that REALLY wow me, and hear the creators brag about their insane building techniques.

A lot of sections of the show just seemed... Underdeveloped. Starting at the preshow; could have done much longer segments per-builder I reckon, IF you went in-depth on really interesting stuff, as opposed to bland parables about building.

The "put your designs on the wall of The Lego House" thing is definitely a cool idea, and while I obviously thought "how many offensive symbols are people going to submit in hour 1?", well, presumably the humans at The Lego House aren't going to let you put a swastika up there. So, it's cool. Many of the 6x6 mosaics they showed us (good choice to interleave that through the show) were very nice-looking and creative. When I first saw the assortment of pieces I thought "Hmm, seems limited", but every batch of examples they showed us had some really neat and distinctive stuff in it. Good job on the mosaic project. Probably the best part overall.

Showing the big dinosaurs: Cool. Giant builds are cool. And having them stepping on bricks? Excellent touch. Though, when they showed the small versions and presented them to the British host guy, I thought... Shouldn't they post instructions for these small versions online? Did they, and I just didn't see where they were? Should have had a note during the program of "here are the instructions for the small dinosaurs", IMO. Promote more engagement/interaction that way, instead of the lame-and-now-standard "send us your Tweets".

I thought most of the interview stuff was pretty boring. There were various questions I'd have asked, but the main interviewer didn't seem to want to go in depth, and I guess the schedule was pretty tight? I think that's a theme here, that, the show could have gone on MUCH longer, and kept my attention, if they went into more depth per-topic. A single two-hour show is not an extravagant convention; not saying they HAD to do much more, but, if you have the right people on stage, people who are just really interested in Lego, I'm sure you can just have them ad lib and keep me glued to my screen for many hours at a time.

For a more specific example, the sustainability section... It's good to say "Yeah we're turning bottles into bricks", but... Can't you go into way more depth? Reassure me about the materials science! Tell me how this new material compares to ABS! Tell me some of the challenges you overcame and how! A vague "we are trying to figure out how best to color these" is okay, but, come on, don't be afraid of going in-depth, of alienating a few viewers with technical details! Yes, obviously, don't require an engineering degree to understand the show, but, give us something at the level of "YouTube explainer series aimed at interested amateurs". Even if you have to explain what "ABS" is!

I got that feeling overall in many places in the show, just that... It wasn't that enthusiast-targeted. That the more keyed-in you are, the more of a Lego nerd you are, the less they're trying to get you. Which, okay, sure, the hardcore fans are a small audience. But, even when I was a kid, I'd obsessively pore over the catalogues and the website, wouldn't I? I wasn't reading forums or anything, but, even back then, would I have been all that captivated by this? Again, I realize they don't want to turn off a general audience; it can't ALL be new information for the really-tuned-in superfans, but, I just want a bit of stuff that's aimed specifically at my demographic. (And not even my demographic being "adults"; I'm sure a ton of children watching would really really enjoy a materials-science explainer segment, imagine like Mr. Rogers or a bit more detailed than that, talking about the challenges of the new plastic. Wouldn't you love for Lego's engineers to talk your ear off about their new project, even if some of the jargon flies over your head? And it can be the host's job to ask enough questions about the more opaque parts of the description.)

And back to the interviews, just... A lot of it was kind of... Meandering and... I don't know, maybe I'm jaded, maybe I'm used to high-energy podcasts where people have really specific discussions on particular niche topics, but... Most of the interaction with the guests just wasn't as interesting as I'd wanted. I wish the host asked more-curious questions, but, also probably you'd need more time per-guest, and just... I dunno what reforms you'd need otherwise.

As for "new stuff reveals", well... Okay, so before this event they had said something about "new set reveals" and the like, and I didn't want to get super-excited about that, because, well, I knew it probably wouldn't be that much stuff. And even though Lego seems to be pretty decent at avoiding leaks, well... How much stuff can they keep truly under lock and key for this? Well, I dunno; maybe they can reveal some further-out stuff at this kind of event. Or, maybe you'd say, this kind of event, like an E3 or the like, is THE place to reveal new things, and so it doesn't make sense for Lego not to have a BEVY of things to show us. Which, well, that's fair! Personally I was waiting throughout much of the show, thinking "Hmm, are they gonna show something new and exciting?", and then... Well, when it was ONE Star Wars set, I was rolling my eyes. Probably because I'm not a Star Wars fan; if it had been some big Creator thing, or just... Well, yeah, they weren't going to satisfy me with that, but, I think as I expressed in the previous N paragraphs, I don't think they NEEDED big product reveals to satisfy me with this show. If they get the non-reveal parts just right, if they make it a great show, then they don't have to reveal anything at all, and I'll want to tune in.

If it feels like it's ONLY about "seeing new set reveals", then... It's in an inherently precarious spot. Again, maybe we should ask them to make this a twice-a-year event where they do the BIG pile of set reveals, just make it an official reveal ceremony. Surely that's doable? Can they pre-empt the manufacturing leaks and do this? Maybe? But, I don't think they have to go all-in on that. I think they could make a great show that had ZERO new set reveals. And then, if you pile some set reveals on top of that... Then you're going to have a smash hit.

One of the biggest problems with this show from what I can see is not really understanding who their audience is. In the 30 minutes before the show, there was this guy who was acting like the audience were young children, with a childish "Dora the Explorer" style of addressing to the audience. But in between that, there were some MOC showcases and interviews which were pretty helpful and informative, but the mix of those two felt really off putting. 

If they want people to be interested in this show, they might as well try to gain a better understanding of who their core audience is, instead of trying to appeal to everyone. 

A guy on YouTube did a full review and analysis, so if you want a more in depth TLDR of what happened, I would recommend watching this video:

Edited by Lego David

I didn't watch the event, but the biggest criticism, as evidenced in the video above, is how it couldn't find a direction between AFOLs and children, now while that is difficult, a niche little show called 'Lego Masters' manages to do this brilliantly, hence why it is one of the highest rating free-to-air shows here in Australia and very popular worldwide, where good hosts are able to incorporate sophisticated Lego discussion which can appeal to AFOLs and non-AFOL adults and also engage children. Lego seemed to have forgotten that children can actually be interested in proper discussion and that the children who would use Lego and watch this would likely be of an age where the 'Dora-the-Explorer' language (I think that is a good term to describe it) would be equally a turn off, and who would probably be just as interested in proper builds as AFOLs are.

8 hours ago, Stuartn said:

I didn't watch the event, but the biggest criticism, as evidenced in the video above, is how it couldn't find a direction between AFOLs and children, now while that is difficult, a niche little show called 'Lego Masters' manages to do this brilliantly, hence why it is one of the highest rating free-to-air shows here in Australia and very popular worldwide, where good hosts are able to incorporate sophisticated Lego discussion which can appeal to AFOLs and non-AFOL adults and also engage children. Lego seemed to have forgotten that children can actually be interested in proper discussion and that the children who would use Lego and watch this would likely be of an age where the 'Dora-the-Explorer' language (I think that is a good term to describe it) would be equally a turn off, and who would probably be just as interested in proper builds as AFOLs are.

I fully agree with this - I found that sort of voice annoying at age 8 for goodness’ sake...

My favourite part of Legoland as a child was (and still is) Miniland.  I would have been happy to see those sorts of buildings in LEGO CON...