Igor1

[MOC / MOD] Mercedes G63 BRABUS 2021 (free instruction available)

I'm really looking forward to the new Lego wheels 81x35 (from the official catalog photo). I think they will look very cool on the off-road version of the G63! *oh2*

81x35.jpg.783eb35077a2df764398138d4ce1a5d8.jpg

10 minutes ago, Igor1 said:

I'm really looking forward to the new Lego wheels 81x35 (from the official catalog photo). I think they will look very cool on the off-road version of the G63! *oh2*

I'm not sure. Have you ever seen the real Gelandevagen with such tractor tyres? Neither did I :)

@Aleh There are a lot of real cars on such wheels, but I just don't see a great alternative from Lego in this regard. So I think that these will also fit to the MOC.

maxresdefault.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

I would prefer something like this:

691603f3dfeb66cb1ac6ed9b31cf4f45.jpg2016-mercedes-benz-g500-4x4-brabus-kit-1

Only the first two images have the same tyres, byt they are custom. I meant Mercedes Benz do not  use these tyres at their factories. PS: There's Alexander on the second image :)

29 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Only the first two images have the same tyres, byt they are custom. I meant Mercedes Benz do not  use these tyres at their factories. PS: There's Alexander on the second image :)

I can assure you: if you want those tires on your G Class – the factory is going to sell it to you. The whole G-Wagon project was started in this spirit: the Shah of Iran wanted to have a Mercedes for his military.

@Aleh Yes, I wrote earlier, I'm building something like a lifted off-road truck (with custom wheels). To make it fun to ride. However, the question of appearance and selection of wheels is very important for me. I would like it to look like some kind of custom G63 from BRABUS, for example. But only in the process of experiments it will be possible to understand what will fit from the wheels and what will not. I'm afraid this topic from the drift version review will go into the WIP topic of building an off-road version. I was planning to finish with this MOC, but it still won't let me go! :classic:

I'm even starting to seriously think about a separate instruction for the off-road version, if it turns out to build something worthy. And if it will be at least interesting to someone else, of course.

Edited by Igor1

37 minutes ago, marcus2388 said:

I can assure you: if you want those tires on your G Class – the factory is going to sell it to you.

I believe, thanks

37 minutes ago, marcus2388 said:

The whole G-Wagon project was started in this spirit: the Shah of Iran wanted to have a Mercedes for his military.

It was 40 or how many years ago. Today G-class is an expensive toy.

4 minutes ago, Aleh said:

I believe, thanks

It was 40 or how many years ago. Today G-class is an expensive toy.

tenor.gif?itemid=11156171&f=1&nofb=1

Actually... you can still buy the car in the civilian "professional" version - even as a PickUp-truck...

https://www.forcegt.com/news/mercedes-benz-introduces-g-professional-cab-chassis-workhorse/ 

and it is still a very well selling military car. The 6x6 started it's life "just recently" as a special request by the Australian army... and got converted into the portal axle monster we all know afterwards.

When it comes to the G-wagon - there is nothing off limits...

web-2410bindefjpg21390539.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Finally! This topic is starting to come to life! :thumbup:

Of course, a factory that produces military equipment can afford any of its execution.

Edited by Igor1

28 minutes ago, marcus2388 said:

Actually... you can still buy the car in the civilian "professional" version - even as a PickUp-truck...

Damn, I also have to build a pickup truck now... :rofl:

The tractor tires would make it look like a legitimate off-roader, while the defender rims+68ish mm tires make it look like an average G-Class: Glitzy and good-for-nothing, with the strange combo of sports car style and rims and off-roader chassis. I don't mean that as a criticism of your work, though, and I appreciate seeing all the different rim+tire combos.

@2GodBDGlory Thank you very much for your feedback on the wheels, but also I would glad to hear any criticism both on the MOC and on my work itself. I'm sure that on this forum there are people with tremendous experience in design, but so far there is no criticism at all in this topic. Please feel free to express your opinion. :classic:

As for сhoosing the right wheels, even a Bentley can make a real off-road truck:

https://www.justmotoring.co.za/2021/01/01/bentley-arnage-monster-truck-is-not-your-usual-lift-kit/

Edited by Igor1

18 hours ago, Aleh said:

The whole car is custom. Built in Russia. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45OZMB7KV5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdXJgxHlbsg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMJqPNFnpsNfWc1pNs7I1KQ

Edited by martinator

A little provocation for my favorite from @rm8

51242710195_a461b8a8c3_h.jpg

:wink:

Edited by Igor1

Yes again this off-road. Finally our test drive to the fields took place. Where we had to drive a lot over rough terrain. In general the MOC rides. I'm attaching a small video report.

However, many shortcomings of the model were also identified.

• In short, despite the high power, the car lacks cross-country ability. Definitely not yet a Mercedes as I imagined it. I think that permanently locking the rear axle differential was a stupid idea which led to increased stress on the transmission, wear and instability in operation. Here I also plan to change the drive from motors to increase reliability.
  • The front shock absorbers work very well, while the stiffness of the rear shock absorbers seemed to me insufficient. I think I should try 9.5L hard spring shocks (already ordered from Bricklink).
  • There are also plans to improve the steering. I would like to slightly reduce the maximum wheel turn, but at the same time increase the steering sensitivity. To do this, I'll try to play with the size of the rods from the steering rack to the portal hubs.

After the improvements I plan to test it again on "pokatushki". :excited: Thank you for your attention!

Several days ago Brackmann and Buschmann's company has released Brabus Rocket G900, based on the latest Gelandewagen. It's the  fastest G-class ever so far. So you have to consider rebuulding your MOC once again :laugh:

PS: When the grass was green Brabus Rocket was the only a CLS classe, which was the fastest sedan on the planet. Then BMW M5 beats that record. And the second generation of CLS beats it again and as I now stiil keeps the record :)

Edited by Aleh

@Aleh Hey, I really thought no one would write about this! :laugh:Yes, I saw it, Rocket looks very very cool! *oh2* But as far as rebuilding my current MOC it seems to me that it isn't needed. External changes are purely cosmetic. There's small red elements in the decoration of the body, which are on such a scale will be difficult to beautifully replicate. If only I should try adding a roof spoiler? And the new rims even confused me a little. Since they completely cover the view inside the wheel like a cap and now the brake rims and calipers are not visible. :sceptic:

20210519_untitled%20shoot2079-Edit-1173x20210519_untitled%20shoot2086-Edit-1175x

@Aleh Thank you! Of course I saw all your Mercedes (even 6x6), as well as all the others that were built from Lego. :classic:

Today's work result. New reinforced motor drive. Managed to keep the front L-motors removable. But because of their displacement I had to swap to shorter suspension arms 6 x 2.

51259751471_c9b6e7d8a3_k.jpg51260796565_9e31605e4d_k.jpg

Edited by Igor1

New front and rear axle prototypes

51265168105_07375ceaa0_k.jpg

Edited by Igor1