Sign in to follow this  
Jurss

[TC20] 8440 Formula Flash

My first technic set was formula 42000.

I cam up to this model, which I will try to rebuild.

640x890.jpg

I'm planning to build it, as it would be build today, with actual parts etc. I have also those original wheels, but will build on some actual type.

As chosen wheels are littlebit bigger, did some rescaling

640x523.jpg

And now I have some first draft of scale

800x499.jpg

As You can see, there are latest frames, panel also, differential, even white rims from buggy. Will try to implement suspension.

As on original, engine will be fully visible from bottom.

Nice idea to add suspension! I thought about doing this set but went with 8836 instead.

Oh my god! I almost forgot about that set. When i was young, i was looking at this set in catalogue for hours. I wanted it so bad. I'm really keen on seen this studless.

I came to conclusion, that it will be really hard to fit fornt suspension and steering, and make fornt angle as needed. So I'm trying now to build on original wheels

800x401.jpg

And it also goes pretty hard. It was building pretty good, but now I checked, that side line is almost one stud too high, also seat should be one stud back.

Yeterday received original and built. Why I chose this?! It looked so nice :)

Yesterday finally got over front part. It was really difficult, took together some 8 hours to get to result. Then everything went really fast. Now I have this. Need to work on details, also engine is connecte only at one end.

800x829.jpg

Maybe. But as I wrote, the front part already was a pain, to make it narrow, fit steering, make front spoiler connection narrow. If I would turn to that curved panel for front, than front spoiler won't be not so good.

And I don't have it in red, yet.

15 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I wonder

In fact, I took a look at the front, maybe I can really fit that panel over those beams, which I already have there.

But, as I wrote, I don't have them in red, and not shure that it will add to look. Will try with some color I have. And I see, that one well known local seller have them, so I could get them easily.

Looking good so far. Love the detail of the carburettors on the engine. I agree you need to refine the nose some more. Perhaps use a panel (or 2) on the top to then hide the structure underneath. Are you also going to add endplate extensions to the front wing like the original ?

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

Are you also going to add endplate extensions to the front wing like the original ?

Yes, it is planned. Also some other details, like exhaust pipes. Something needs to be done over differential.

If this were in red

250x250p.jpg?1610898598.4677563

then there could be possible some good front, combining with some 2x5 panels.

I tried something with panels firing #6 . But it becomes too massive. And they somehow too short. And then again, all needed connections should be different, maybe based on axles and connectors.

I will check, how it looks in red, when will receive parts, then will decide, if I will keep it. But at the moment it looks pretty OK for me.

Well done, I think the red curved panel will look nice! A modern interpretation of the plate and slope used in the original model.

Today started with exhaust pipes

800x433.jpg

800x369.jpg

Installed some radiators

800x1069.jpg

Made some first (who knows, maybe last) sides for front spoliler

800x536.jpg

800x648.jpg

Now just rear view mirrors are missing. Can't decide, where to attach them.

Added rear view mirrors

800x533.JPG

in the bacground You can see things something like brake disc ventilation.

Also for the front get rid of blue pins, where it was possible. Yes, I have black 3L pins, but they are not used in technic novadays

Added something like exhaust tips

800x533.JPG

There is also brake light as on original

800x453.JPG

And then almost final view (who knows, maybe I will keep boca negra

800x420.JPG

800x473.JPG

From the bottom engine is visible fully, as on original

800x1244.JPG

Looks great - two things I would change to be even more like the original - grey steering wheel and those vertical surfaces on the front spoiler should be made with those tiny curved panels that you've got 4 of them in red colour in the middle of the build.
Apart from that - I'd like to see it with modern wheels :)

21 hours ago, SaperPL said:

grey steering wheel

I intentionally put black, to be more actual.

front spoiler should be made with those tiny curved panels

They would look more similar to origina, but couldn't figure out nice way how to connect them there, so I went for these. OK, I could switch to flat panels for spoilet, then it would be easy to connect those small panels. Then again whole front spoiler would loose something.

I thought about that, pretty lot.

I'd like to see it with modern wheels

At the beginning I was considering different wheels, but none was in the same scale, closest usable were larger (you can see in first post) or much smaller. As I had those original before contest (the original 8440 set I bought during contest), I decided to use them, as they just look best of all available wheels.

On 7/15/2021 at 5:26 PM, I_Igor said:

It looks great

Thank You!