For the right one I prefer the cleaner lines around the steering column, I don’t think it needs the panel in front. And also the bit between the axles looks a lot better, I think the panels here make it look too chunky. For the rear Slope piece the panels to make the sides look ok, so perhaps a hybrid model combining both designs

Almost finished.

I had a break from this for a bit but also waited for some bricklink orders to arrive.

the real build highlighted some Problems that I fixed or am waiting to fix. One of which is that the arms do not have enough friction To hold the green ‘scientific handheld device’ in an upheld position, so I have some white ball socket parts coming this week to hopefully fix this.

22246870-039e-47e9-b786-2e923484c569.jpe

Hopefully I can show and explain a few more details of the build later in the week When I can find some time.

Other than that, bringing a minifig to a Technic contest is now feeling like a pretty stupid idea :blush:

This is brilliant!  I love the giga-fig in particular (especially the moving legs) but the rover looks great too.  It looks very much like yours was the original, and the minifig scale set is a scaled down copy.

How long before someone motorized your giga-fig?  Attack of the 50-stud (well, 22 or so) fig!

Edited by Hrafn

Looks great. Love both the buggy and gigafig for the buggy could you add a grey hose to simulate the next piece of the air tanks. Glad you went with the more exposed steering column and skinnier side steps

this is my favorite :wink:. Such a non-standard approach to the task of the competition. excellent result :thumbup:

Jep, this is definitely one of my 3 favorite builds in this contest! The wheels on the buggy are soo cool :-)

1 hour ago, MangaNOID said:

Other than that, bringing a minifig to a Technic contest is now feeling like a pretty stupid idea

I don't think so. Your idea is a truly ingenious, as it is thinking outside-the-box ;-)

I love the approach you have here, and I am happy to have another interpretation of a system set. The gigafig is stupendous. 

On 6/30/2021 at 12:15 AM, Thirdwigg said:

For me too. If stacking liftarms is a no-go, stacking connectors is the ultimate sin in my mind.

Holy hell I vibe with this so much lol. Stacked liftarms and connectors hurt my soul

:blush: thank you for the very kind words! It really helps motivation sometimes. Kind words don’t always turn in to votes of course but nevertheless kind words are :thumbup:

some problems that I cannot fix are the legs are a little loose in movement compared to the dummy build I showed in the GIF on the first page. The white slip gears are really not that tight so all the extra weight of the figure makes it a little trying to keep it upright. More time might yield a better solution but not for now.

also the head seems to ratchet itself around when folding up the legs unlike in the dummy build again which was working perfect. Such is life, but it all still works just not as perfect as I thought.

some more pictures of the builds (I’ll work on my photo skills for the entry photos)

changing the arm sockets worked and the megafig can now hold the ‘green scientific device’

before arm socket 

d6947329-d3b2-404e-a975-704a093d5d2e.jpe

new arm socket

f3dc5397-4f8e-45f8-a313-7bbacfd37333.jpe

Holding up the device 

50c2f96b-eab1-4580-b942-980839246b1c.jpe

Back view

2f3d4cff-6f64-4c5d-a303-284c53a26cd2.jpe

15e8f807-3eb7-4240-976b-e2f8be3db682.jpe

inside the head

faab985a-18fc-4ed4-b009-6a3bfb2e6f0d.jpe

3c537751-33d9-4501-b788-9ceed84e07e8.jpe

On 7/25/2021 at 11:11 PM, Seasider said:

for the buggy could you add a grey hose to simulate the next piece of the air tanks. 

Thank you! Not sure how I missed that, done and looks good. I used custom rigid hose to connect pneumatic hose. I guess that is still ok with the rules with 3rd party hose allowed.

030325fd-9fe2-4978-a4ae-1650435abf8a.jpe

I added some small fun details such as lights, winch on the back and superfluous other details which I hope does not detract from being true to the original :grin:

very happy with this build, side pods cannot be pulled out, very sturdy. I just may need to upgrade to higher rate springs

013334cc-5828-4826-b619-3b60c2fda773.jpe

a8153776-f2bd-4c38-9a9a-82cddf131802.jpe

seats fold forward to reveal two pins that can be placed on the buggy that connect to the back of the Megafig legs to hold it in place when sitting on there.

put in the holder axle first so they are easier to get out as the seats hold them in very snug.

c2449f59-8e3b-4f66-bb80-80d61ebada0d.jpe

better get moving on entry photos and short video this weekend.

a7c25487-e15d-43ab-8c8a-3591d21b200a.jpe

Looks great! Too bad there's no good way to recreate the faceprint of the minifig, I feel that would improve this creation even more. Still, I love it!

I really like this! You interpretation and the creativity made this recreation really unique :-)

Buggy and figure look great but I’d ditch the yellow lights I think they’re an addition you don’t need

On 7/30/2021 at 5:03 AM, HorcikDesigns said:

Well, this one is my favourite. Good job!

Thanks! I wont hold you to that if you change your mind and don't vote for me :laugh:

I just posted in the entry topic in time for the 'old' closing date to secure jury brownie points!

Sorry the photo and video quality is down, time is limited. having two kids running/crawling around does not help any.

95e5855e-9b3f-4e3c-a23a-06533cc6ad99.jpe 

This is really cool and creative approach to this contest, but it feels to me exactly of what you shouldn't have done when it comes to scale - getting smal system set and upscaling it so it has mechanical functionality.

With that said - maybe we should have a contest that is about envisioning small sets into bigger Technic models? Unless we get dozens of supercars and trucks based on small sets, this could be interesting.

it is amazing nonetheless, so good job and good luck !

EDIT: maybe you should submit this to Lego Ideas? Would have to check if there is a Technic Moon Buggy set though, because that could be disqualifying it because of the terms.

Edited by SaperPL

This is an amazing creation. Very cool and very original.

I do agree withg @SaperPL that it's not entirely what I had in mind for this contest, but nonetheless a lot of awesomeness.

@Jim, I do not understand why this project does not correspond to the topic of the competition? As Milan wrote, there is no problem with increasing the scale, if it is a minimal need to rebuild the set with technic parts. Here the scale is not increased by 10 times for entertainment.

- A studded original set?

- there is.

- Converted to non-studded?

- there is.

And I think this is definitely the most creative solution of all the works of the competition. Are you sure that we need a contest in which a participant 
 builds a set according to the original instructions and only replaces technical bricks with beams?  It would be very boring.

Edited by Akassin

@Akassin the issue here is that if the contest were to allow and encourage making significantly bigger models that have more functions than the original model, we'd get dozens of people picking up city sports and off-road cars or trucks and building them at Technic scale whether it's a supercar scale or a medium set scale, and we'd end up with a contest of who built the best car model themed similarly to the set.

While this is really creative here and not in the spirit of what I just wrote because of how awesome the figure is, if the rules were interpreted in a way that this is ok because it's creative, but just making a car inspired by some small city car set is a no go, it would be a bit unfair.

@Jim I think that whole issue with the scale boils down to the fact that you combined two rules about the scale into one - the overall scale of the model, which is obviously not limited (you can pick set of any size), but the scale should be roughly the same as the original set's scale. At least that's the only way that I can interpret it making sense, but the way you worded it leaves it a bit in the grey area.

31 minutes ago, Akassin said:

And I think this is definitely the most creative solution of all the works of the competition. Are you sure that we need a competition of projects assembled according to the instructions of the original sets with the replacement of technical bricks with beams? It would be very boring.

While it is very creative, IF I am right about the interpretation of the rules, look at it from the perspective of other contestants - they could go wild and be creative like @MangaNOID if they ignored the scale, but they obeyed this rule and now they are in a completely different league. Rules in a competition should be strictly enforced and not changed, especially when people need to spend time and money to participate. Of course the contest is for fun, but if you spend whole contest doing one thing and then it occurs that the official interpretation of the rule is different and you could've been doing something completely different, it doesn't feel good.

Also while the scale rule is not perfect, it states:

On 5/26/2021 at 6:51 PM, Jim said:

Try to stay as close to the original as possible.

And as close as possible for the buggy could be at least something like Class Xerion Mini scale kind of model, but the scale here was enforced by the mechanisation of the Megafig and the contest wasn't supposed to be about adding more features - it could've simply use a Technic figure (I know these might be hard to get though).

Edited by SaperPL

51 minutes ago, Akassin said:

@Jim, I do not understand why this project does not correspond to the topic of the competition? As Milan wrote, there is no problem with increasing the scale, if it is a minimal need to rebuild the set with technic parts. Here the scale is not increased by 10 times for entertainment.

It does fit the contest. I didn't say it doesn't. But it is not what I had in mind :wink: 

54 minutes ago, Akassin said:

And I think this is definitely the most creative solution of all the works of the competition. Are you sure that we need a contest in which a participant 
 builds a set according to the original instructions and only replaces technical bricks with beams?  It would be very boring.

It is by far the most creative solution. 

So glad you gave the gigafig a face.

such a great model, glad you ditched the lights on the buggy.

I may need to ask for instructions when I get round to building my 1979 Space collection next year for this to go with it.

It’ll definitely win on the “cool” vote for me so you’ll be somewhere in the top models I vote for.

Thank you all for the comments, criticism, praise, and plenty of other:moar: 

I have really enjoyed this build and having it in a contest is a fun thing.

It is always nice to build something no one else has seemed to build (?) but in this case it is exactly why this may not get many votes at all...it’s a Minifig in Technic. Usually if your a fan of technic your unlikely to be a fan of Minifigs. This build might get some oo’s and ahh’s but probably not so many votes (please do vote though :grin:)

8 hours ago, Seasider said:

So glad you gave the gigafig a face.

I wasn’t going to, but then @howitzer’s comment challenged me :classic:

I’ll have an LDD file available sometime  @Seasider but I’m not sure instructions will happen (I’ve never built instructions for any build). Time is very limited, but it’s easy Enough to build off the LDD file. That’s what I did of course when I had gathered all the bits.

anyway I’ll leave it now, I don’t want to saturate the airwaves and get everyone bored to death if this build before the voting begins :laugh: