Looks fantastic! Such a smooth build.

I can’t believe how annoying it must be to try and operate the original one.

one small fault that probably wouldn’t pass TLG standards (I only say this as you mention the pin colour use) is that the roof might easily be pulled off vertically with the weight of the vehicle (when lifting/carrying) when there should be a more solid connection at least on the rear part of the cab. Unless I’m missing something.

Wow one of my favorite sets gets a new life. Looks great :wub:

@MangaNOID you right if you give it a good shake the axle connectors pop out of the 3L axle pins, but just picking it up and whooshing it around it’s fine.

I’ve tried to find other ways of connecting the roof but still sticking to liftarms and making sure I get the flat surfaces where I want them but haven’t found a great solution.

You can’t pick the original up by the roof either so perhaps I’ve replicated that function too 😂

Edited by Seasider

10 hours ago, Seasider said:

You can’t pick the original up by the roof either so perhaps I’ve replicated that function too 😂

:classic:

this still beats the original by not hiding the functions!

looks

like a good build worthy of a podium perhaps.

A little late here, but this turned out great. I wish the bottom of the A pillars was connected, but that’s a small detail for me. I love the PTO on the front and rear, which is a must for me. Again, great work. 

On 7/15/2021 at 6:01 PM, Seasider said:

@Seasider can you email me the ldd/io file?

Edited by Milan
Removed email address.

7 hours ago, moditor said:

@Seasider can you email me the ldd/io file?

For such purposes I suggest you to use PM. (You do not want to collect spam mail in your mailbox, which could happen). Sorry @Jim and @milan if I missuse my authorities.

@moditor, welcome to EB.
When you make 10 posts, you can send a PM (Private message). Posting your email on a public forum can attract spam bots and such.

I really like this Entry to the Topic. My inly gripe would be to change the gray gears to either black or tan, but that's just nitpicking. Great use of panels, and I could see this on a Shelf at the Lego Store! 

12 hours ago, I_Igor said:

For such purposes I suggest you to use PM. (You do not want to collect spam mail in your mailbox, which could happen). Sorry @Jim and @milan if I missuse my authorities.

No problem at all :thumbup:

This is such a cool build. Well done!

Agreed so cool... Can't wait to build it - and made me want to go and find pieces to relive childhood and rebuild original. :-) As a recreation in studless this just feels dead on...

1 hour ago, Jim said:

No problem at all :thumbup:

This is such a cool build. Well done!

Yes, it is probably the best in TC20, real refreshment.

Thanks for the great comments. It’s great to see others who are fans of 8848 and also to hear that I’ve done it justice in many minds.

Sorry I haven’t formally submitted it yet. I ended up being busy with cars and stuff at the weekend so didn’t get time to take the photos I wanted and perhaps a little video to compare the models.

I’m also just checking my Stud.io file which contains both the original and new model, it’s not quite complete and I want to use it for some statistics.

Hopefully I’ll be able to free up some time on Friday afternoon or Saturday.

@Scoar Sonander which gears would you change to black or tan ? I’ve tried to keep to the original colour scheme where possible.
I decided on a black gear for the steering as it seemed more appropriate and TLG uses black when it does this form of HOG itself. The gear small double bevels on the sides to control the functions I did them in grey to mimic the connectors of the original model but also to they are easy to see against the black chassis.

I was referring to the grey gear on the left of the tipper. I feel that a true studless recreation would include colors used by TLG nowadays, and that grey gear would be in black. But here it's a case of sticking true to the original, or going totally studless. I understand why you would put it in grey, and it's also hard to see which color the judges would like better! :wink:

@Scoar Sonander - there’s 2 grey small double bevel gears on the left. The forward one operates the bucket lift and the rear the tipper bed.

An update for you all, managed to complete the Stud.io file before work (working from home and no early meetings!). Some renders for you below

51323287776_cbe610b607_c.jpg

Side by side

51323486488_0554938bc4_c.jpg51324002519_6d1f84cbd5_c.jpg

And overlay with 1 model “ghosted”

From this I make the old model 388 parts and the new one 600!

Edited by Seasider

This model is simple. Simple in a very good way. I love simple :wub:

I'm just noticing you used my suggestion for the steering. I'm glad it helped. Wonderful build, and I'm pleased with how it turned out.

7 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

I'm just noticing you used my suggestion for the steering. I'm glad it helped. Wonderful build, and I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Yes it was a great solution thanks. I’ve used a blue clutch gear to move the rack but also connected a thin liftarm to the bottom of the rack to give the right spacing.