So when I heard rumours of this I had a few projects floating around my brain. One was related to Classic Space as I’ve recently got back into it and been buying 1979 sets from eBay (an expensive hobby I know ... but that’s not the point).

But seeing the revised rules this morning about not making a model a sea of stacked liftarms I’ve abandoned building the 928 Space Cruiser (as that’s what the wings would look like).

So I’ve gone back to my original Technic models I had as a kid and I’ve decided to make a modern version of 8848 Tipper Truck from 1981, as it was known in the U.K. (also known as Power Truck according to Brickset). So first of all I built it last night ...

51206110946_e2b7e453e3_b.jpg

Looking at it you can see it was obviously the first Unimog.

So my plan is to build something the same size with the same functions but in the modern Technic style. The HOG steering will be moved to on top of the roof rather than hidden under it (so strange if you think about it) and for the tipper bed I want to change to being activated by Linear Actuators instead of a lever and rack combination. This means I may be able to squeeze some seats in the cabin. First of all I thought I’d scope out the chassis.

51207305930_07ca431927_b.jpg

I decided to use modern wheels and tyres that have the same diameter as the old. I want to use modern elements and techniques as much as possible while still retaining the overall look of the model.

I’ve got a bucket of bits including curved panels to remake the cab and front arches. I’m going to work on this next. The cab will be 1 stud wider than the original as studless is based on odd numbers.

51206444638_f337f7c3d9_b.jpg

Potentially some more building tonight and then no more until next week as we’re heading away for a local-ish based holiday for a few days.

Just some minor updates from me. I’ve switched to using Stud.io as then it’s easy to overlay the original and my new models. I’ve found this especially useful given the odd/even challenge

initial concept for the cab

51222580588_8b5d73d553_c.jpg

and then I’ve started looking at the chassis and the bed lift

51222580593_277d6e6ecb_c.jpg

Hopefully get to do some more at the weekend.

Minor update from me with some more Stud.io work from Thursday night and a bit today (staying out of the midday sun).

51226773798_0b66be0814_c.jpg51227629420_fb74ff382b_c.jpg

Green pins are there to define the centrelines but also so I can overlay the models.

51227325079_8a19ab39a2_c.jpg

Original with New in trans-blue

51227325084_4e9a29b216_c.jpg

New with Original in trans-blue

So it’s coming along nicely. I need to narrow the rear axle by a stud, but I’m happy with the rear bed. Next will be a bit of finessing of the Cab and also starting to work on the front bucket, which I’ll start as a stand-alone model.

Studless version looks cool. Did you think about implementing fake engine?

1 minute ago, I_Igor said:

Studless version looks cool. Did you think about implementing fake engine?

It’s on the “potential” list, along with putting in some seats and perhaps making the cab tilt forward. I’m hoping I can get a mid-mounted engine in there but I need to get the base functions sorted first. Still not sure how I’m going to operate the front bucket yet. 

Perhaps you can use one beacon lightvfor that and another for something else (just a little suggestion) 

@I_Igor and @Thirdwigg I’m not sure about using lights to control the functions as then it’ll mean I may not be able to fit some seats or attempt the cab tip.

the tipper bed is currently operated by a double bevel gear on the side of the chassis

Bit of a minor update from me. Narrowed the rear axle and tipper bed by 1 stud each side and some minor updates on the cab.

also started working working on the front bucket. I’m not sure whether to go liftarm built or to go modern and use a Technic bucket piece.

51234110720_008bfde4c2_c.jpg51232338487_b4ac6164bd_c.jpg51233042896_57d489e119_c.jpg

overlays with the classic as trans-blue

Edited by Seasider

This already is one of my favorite TC20 models so far, looks really good.

I think the built bucket doesn't really fit here. The newer black one on the other hand is too small. But there is an older 14 stud wide bucket available on bricklink, which I also used for my Liebherr L518 wheeled loader MOC. Not the newest one, though (1988 - 1990).

@Jundis thanks for your comments. I hadn’t seen that 14 wide bucket and nice it’s in yellow, but it’s from the studded era of Technic so I’d discount it because of that. But thanks for the suggestion.

much better with the narrowed bits! looks way more proportioned now.

I'm liking the built bucket myself and think it fits as the original was built too.

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

@Jundis thanks for your comments. I hadn’t seen that 14 wide bucket and nice it’s in yellow, but it’s from the studded era of Technic so I’d discount it because of that. But thanks for the suggestion.

Nearly all axles and pins are also from the studded era :-P

1 minute ago, Jundis said:

Nearly all axles and pins are also from the studded era :-P

True 

Brickbuild bucket ftw! But that massive light bley underbite is not doing it any favours, sorry

@1974 - do you mean the light grey panel on the studless model that forms the front bumper? Or are you referring to the trans-blue which is just meant to show how the models compare

Edited by Seasider

Brick built bucket for me too. I also really like the front bumper now. The panels make it look updated, and not just the old set studless. 

I did a bit of this last night on this but didn’t make much progress on it. I mainly just organised how I had the parts in stud.io and did a bit of trying to work out how to mount the front of the cab.

But that’s it for me for a week and a half as I’m off on holiday / staycation for a bit. Next update won’t be till Sunday 20th, but may be later as I get my second COVID vaccine on that day too.

loving the wide range of entries so far from everyone

So back from a week away on holiday and time to give you a progress update.

First task was to get myself a tray of bits to match the digital build, spot the bits in the wrong colour … a brick link order or 2 is required to sort this.

51264341429_2737af5187_b.jpg

Then the slow process of building it and checking my connections. I was pleasantly surprised that I hadn’t made too many errors, but this process can be quite slow. I was rewarded with this.

51264341374_e64d3e375b_b.jpg

Then I thought it was time to work on the mechanism for raising/lowering the front bucket and after a lot of trial and error over the past 2 nights I came up with this update in Green.

51264634127_f07aa0b0e8_c.jpg

As you can see it’s not quite finished yet. It was difficult to get the gears and the axle in the right place so I could avoid the steering mechanism and also do the 90deg that’s required to get a control on the side of the truck. After a quick recolour you get this.

51264634122_bb7027be01_c.jpg

Next stage is to update the physical model to the same level and check the mechanism works, at the same time completing the mounting the gears and updating the bucket to match the mechanism.

Hopefully I’ll be working on it for a bit tomorrow night.

Edited by Seasider