Recommended Posts

What a progress! Almost completed :laugh:

In my opinion it looks too much similar to the old one, I must zoom the photos to see it is studless and I don't know if it is a plus.

Maybe you can replace the old knobs with some more "currently in use" knows, like the ones in set 42108? And maybe add some panels?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, mpj said:

What a progress! Almost completed :laugh:

In my opinion it looks too much similar to the old one, I must zoom the photos to see it is studless and I don't know if it is a plus.

Maybe you can replace the old knobs with some more "currently in use" knows, like the ones in set 42108? And maybe add some panels?

 

Although it looks very similar, it doesn't have much in common with the original one.

Anyway, to be instantly recognizable and all-new at once is the goal of the contest, isn't it?

Some panels will be definitely used for the roof and hood.

Edited by MP LEGO Technic creations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you are right, for sure it is a perfect re-edition of the original one.

 

I think the main issue with this contest is that old Technic models and old “System” models are not separated into 2 different categories: old Technic models can be actually reproduced almost perfectly, with the same scale and functions, “System” models require more creativity to become “Technic” and recognizable in the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mpj said:

I think the main issue with this contest is that old Technic models and old “System” models are not separated into 2 different categories

I agree with you on this one, but maybe it’s better to discuss it in the contest topic.

Back to the backhoe :) It’s making really great progress, eager to see how it looks with the missing parts!

Edited by gyenesvi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking great, but I agree with @mpj that using panels could make this model even better, cause the contest isn't about changing all the studded beams with studless beams. And also I'm not sure if the old crank solution should be there since it is about modern technic, with modern parts, and that part isn't used nowadays, but that's a little nitpicking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some little progress here:

IMG_20210713_114315

 

IMG_20210713_114300

 

IMG_20210713_114242

The model is almost completed, only the hood isn't yet and I also need to decide whether use LBG or black knobs (rather LBG as the original does).

The internal mechanisms have been slightly reworked to get more space for driver's seat.

IMG_20210713_114221

 

Edited by MP LEGO Technic creations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Looks very accurate. Regarding the black Vs grey knobs, why are you switching from studless handles to studded knobs in a studless contest? You could use a pair of 3 x 0.5 pulleys and a grey frictionless pin.

Edited by allanp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, allanp said:

Looks very accurate. Regarding the black Vs grey knobs, why are you switching from studless handles to studded knobs in a studless contest? You could use a pair of 3 x 0.5 pulleys and a grey frictionless pin.

Seemed to be a good idea until I tried it. It's not very comfortable, though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say either go for cranks (=pulley wheels) like the original, or if you insist on putting knobs there, use gears (12 or 20 tooth) like most modern sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I'd say either go for cranks (=pulley wheels) like the original, or if you insist on putting knobs there, use gears (12 or 20 tooth) like most modern sets.

From cranks this 279x279.png and this 18654.png parts are best for operating (from tried ones) but they're missing the round shape...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

From cranks this 279x279.png and this 18654.png parts are best for operating (from tried ones) but they're missing the round shape...

Yeah, that's why the pulley wheel is probably the best option today, unless you want to use the original larger pulley wheel, which I think was discontinued years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How about this part?
98585.png

Combined with 2L LBG pin and LBG 1L liftarm as modern take on the old wheel?

 

Model looks great, just wondering: you going to keep these wheels or swapping them later for modern ones?

Edited by Appie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Appie said:

Model looks great, just wondering: you going to keep these wheels or swapping them later for modern ones?

I think I'll keep these ones. From modern wheels, I'd have to choose some balloon ones and none of them fit the rear axle without some drastic modifications (and they look too wide IMO). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

I think I'll keep these ones. From modern wheels, I'd have to choose some balloon ones and none of them fit the rear axle without some drastic modifications (and they look too wide IMO). 

As suggested before: the tractor tires from the Jeep for the front and Zetros for the rear not an option? I understand the Zetros would be a little hard at this time since it's just released, but was just wondering if you considered them at some point in the future. I personallly don't mind the old wheels, but I think those new ones would work pretty well on this model.

Edited by Appie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Appie said:

As suggested before: the tractor tires from the Jeep for the front and Zetros for the rear not an option? I understand the Zetros would be a little hard at this time since it's just released, but was just wondering if you considered them at some point in the future. I personallly don't mind the old wheels, but I think those new ones would work pretty well on this model.

Yes, I'd also like to see this model with tractor tires. Anyway it's impossible for me to get them before the contest ends, because next Wednesday my 3-week holiday is about to start so I need to finish this model until this Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would personally replace those old tires with some new ones, if it is to look like new. Otherwise everything looks great! Lovely work! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is looking pretty good now, clean job!

21 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

but they're missing the round shape...

I don't think that's a problem, why would you stick to the round shape? It's a bout modernization :) I'd just go with the crank that you proposed. Could try either grey or black.

I understand that everybody would like to modernize the wheels, but if there's no good option (since the Zetros is not out yet and the Jeep's is too small), then just keeping these are better I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant job on the looks and functions, looks like everything works really smoothly! A true tribute to the original. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of best entries so far.

Some more modern wheels would be good, but they are not yet available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jurss said:

One of best entries so far.

Some more modern wheels would be good, but they are not yet available.

Ultimately it's up to the builder in this case (pun not intended, as this is a Caterpillar! :laugh:) but I don't think there was any other choice here but to use the original wheels as no other current (or soon-to-be-released) type matches their dimensions, and would therefore look odd. I don't even see TLG reproducing a tyre with these specifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

Nice to see all the function on video. Nice build!

Thank you!

 

33 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Brilliant job on the looks and functions, looks like everything works really smoothly! A true tribute to the original. :thumbup:

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. :wink:

 

30 minutes ago, Jurss said:

One of best entries so far.

Some more modern wheels would be good, but they are not yet available.

Thx. I agree that it'd be nice to have some modern wheels but all of the tried ones look weird or too wide.

 

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this contest. It brought great memories from the past! Good luck to all of you.

Edited by MP LEGO Technic creations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.