Hello everybody!

For this contest I've chosen my favourite Technic set of all times - the Backhoe grader 8862.

nI_OYEoiFChnHh0NVfpkqYjoGVu7fY1Z8fLXnoLH

Here's its WIP topic:

IMG_20210527_062546

IMG_20210527_062605

IMG_20210527_062901

And yes, the outriggers can already lift the vehicle:

IMG_20210527_062803

Thank you for visiting!

Edited by MP LEGO Technic creations

One of the sets in my heart!

Will you keep the original wheels?

8 minutes ago, mpj said:

One of the sets in my heart!

Exactly the same question popped into my mind. Maybe you can convince Jim to wait till the Zetros set comes out and you use the bigger tractor wheels on the back and the smaller wheels from the Jeep as front tires? :D

Edited by Jundis

47 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Exactly the same question popped into my mind. Maybe you can convince Jim to wait till the Zetros set comes out and you use the bigger tractor wheels on the back and the smaller wheels from the Jeep as front tires? :D

We can try! :laugh:

Maybe you can use some baloon tires, like recent Lego Technic backhoe loaders.

I knew someone would go for this one, great to see it, used to be one of my favorites too :)

Was just wondering if there is no modern equivalent of the perpendicular 32T gear assembly in the rear section? It would be great to see that rebuilt using only modern gears. I understand that there is probably no direct equivalent though, but maybe with a different drive-train. Also, the original (and now yours) has a problem that because the axle rotations are asymmetric at the point where the two 16T gears are meshed, the two outriggers did not move perfectly symmetrically. It would also be great to see if that could be corrected using today's gearings.

The use of the small turntable is great, but again it would be great to see if that could be driven from the side, more like how it's done usually (if I remember correctly, the axle in the center was its turn-driver in the original, and you seem to have kept it).

Just picked these because I have the feeling that such modernizations are kind of the point of this contest. Keep up the great work!

Interesting. This model has plenty of cool functions to rebuild. I would choose a more modern wheel though. What if you'd use the huge tractor tyres for the rear, and the new smaller tractor tyres at the front? I believe both come with yellow rims.

Also, please add some rigidity to the chassis. I see only straight beams right now, except one pair of 3x5 L in the front, and no triangles, so I expect the chassis to be quite bendy at the moment. I feel right now it's a bit too similar to the original :/ A modern Technic set would use frames. Especially in a chassis that's 5 studs tall. In your case, I think especially 3x5 dogbones are your friend. They come in yellow :) And of course, the classic 4x6 and 5x9 bent liftarms.

Yes, it would be good to use in place of vertical 5L beams some 3x5 L-beams

22 hours ago, mpj said:

Yes, that's my intention.

I also ordered the original buckets.

20 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Was just wondering if there is no modern equivalent of the perpendicular 32T gear assembly in the rear section? It would be great to see that rebuilt using only modern gears. I understand that there is probably no direct equivalent though, but maybe with a different drive-train. Also, the original (and now yours) has a problem that because the axle rotations are asymmetric at the point where the two 16T gears are meshed, the two outriggers did not move perfectly symmetrically. It would also be great to see if that could be corrected using today's gearings.

I already have an idea to do that.

I chose these 32T perpendicular gears from two reasons: 1) They were in the original set, 2) I have them for a few past years and neve used them :)

Anyway modern gearing could be better, though.

The use of the small turntable is great, but again it would be great to see if that could be driven from the side, more like how it's done usually (if I remember correctly, the axle in the center was its turn-driver in the original, and you seem to have kept it).

This is also a great idea but I'm sure that there's not enough space for that at he moment.

Just picked these because I have the feeling that such modernizations are kind of the point of this contest. Keep up the great work!

Right point!

Anyway I'd probably not add any new functions such as a pendular front axle (which wouldn't be difficult) because I want to keep the original (maybe improved) functionality.

12 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Interesting. This model has plenty of cool functions to rebuild. I would choose a more modern wheel though. What if you'd use the huge tractor tyres for the rear, and the new smaller tractor tyres at the front? I believe both come with yellow rims.

Also, please add some rigidity to the chassis. I see only straight beams right now, except one pair of 3x5 L in the front, and no triangles, so I expect the chassis to be quite bendy at the moment. I feel right now it's a bit too similar to the original :/ A modern Technic set would use frames. Especially in a chassis that's 5 studs tall. In your case, I think especially 3x5 dogbones are your friend. They come in yellow :) And of course, the classic 4x6 and 5x9 bent liftarms.

11 hours ago, Jurss said:

Yes, it would be good to use in place of vertical 5L beams some 3x5 L-beams

Some reinforcement is surely on the way, but first of all I'd like to build the set as close as possible (to know where what connects) and then I'll surely add make it more rigid.

Not sure if the modernization mentioned by other members are suitable for this set: Lego has released several updated backhoe loaders after this one, I think there is the risk to blend into another model. I would keep functions and simplicity of original 8862 set.

2 hours ago, mpj said:

I would keep functions and simplicity of original 8862

I think, that was original idea, mainly rebuild studless, not to modify everything totally.

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

I think, that was original idea, mainly rebuild studless, not to modify everything totally.

I might be totally wrong here, but a simple rebuilding is not a very hard task, as it can be seen from the WIP pics so far. It's much harder to design a model from zero based on a non-Technic model. I wouldn't call it a fair competition.

So I would encourage a proper paraphrasing, at least it should be preferred by the jury.

It this particular case I would (if it is was my entry) keep all the functions and solutions of the original, but build it in a smaller scale with some cleverly used panels, since studless is capable of that.

I will be harsh, but the model as it can be projected at this state will be a boring, emply pile of beams, more like a K'nex set, obsolete looking even 20 years ago. 

Edited by Lipko

6 minutes ago, Lipko said:

I might be totally wrong here, but a simple rebuilding is not a very hard task, as it can be seen from the WIP pics so far. It's much harder to design a model from zero based on a non-Technic model. I wouldn't call it a fair competition.

So I would encourage a proper paraphrasing, at least it should be preferred by the jury.

It this particular case I would (if it is was my entry) keep all the functions and solutions of the original, but build it in a smaller scale with some cleverly used panels, since studless is capable of that.

I will be harsh, but the model as it can be projected at this state will be a boring, emply pile of beams, more like a K'nex set, obsolete looking even 20 years ago. 

Thats very hard to say. I think everybody interprets the given task in a different way and find a unique solution. The voting will go to the most loved and creative models, so I don't see why somebody shouldnt be allowed to do it in this way.

10 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Thats very hard to say. I think everybody interprets the given task in a different way and find a unique solution. The voting will go to the most loved and creative models, so I don't see why somebody shouldnt be allowed to do it in this way.

I didn't say not allowed, I say that this contest will get out of hand very quickly without clearly communicated jury preferences. If 1:1 copy of the original but with studded parts are not discouraged (I didn't say disqualified) in a way, than builders who would chose non-Technic topics will be discouraged to take the bigger risk.

All I am trying to say that it's voting will be totally unpredictable, I think separating Technic from non-Technic (2 categories, I recall we had some contest with such a thing) would have been a better choice.

Edited by Lipko

Maybe I haven't written it before but I definitely don't want just to rebuild the original set with studded bricks changer to liftarms. In my opinion this'd be a bit boring. In the pictures above there's only a sketch built according to the original instructions. I made it because I want to figure out how the original functions are placed and than I'll start building a new chassis from zero :)

This contest theme is a brilliant idea I am surprised it hasn't been done before. It's great you decided to remaster this set, I have very fond memories of it and I almost feel sorry for selling it but I did get a 8455 instead....

Well, back to the topic, function wise I think you could safely add a pendular front axle to enhance it a bit, otherwise it seems like your off to good start so far. 

11 hours ago, Lipko said:

I didn't say not allowed, I say that this contest will get out of hand very quickly without clearly communicated jury preferences. If 1:1 copy of the original but with studded parts are not discouraged (I didn't say disqualified) in a way, than builders who would chose non-Technic topics will be discouraged to take the bigger risk.

All I am trying to say that it's voting will be totally unpredictable, I think separating Technic from non-Technic (2 categories, I recall we had some contest with such a thing) would have been a better choice.

It does seem rather confusing. My entry is definitely falling into the more "1:1 copy of the original but with studded parts" category because it seemed like that is what the rules preferred, but now I start to worry that I would be better off building something more or less from scratch! It's hard to say what voters/jurors will prefer, I guess, but either way I'll have fun!

On 5/28/2021 at 4:48 AM, Lipko said:

If you read the whole thread you see that his intention is to change things quite  a bit.  WHat we see above is just the WIP for the moment.  Rigidity, changes, etc. are all on their way

Here's progress with the rear section.

The turntable is now driven via its gearing, not through an axle in the centre.

The turntable's gearing has been already reworked once more, so the pictures don't show the latest version.

The problem with outriggers has been solved either, though.

IMG_20210529_094715

IMG_20210529_095240

IMG_20210529_095256

IMG_20210529_094657

1 hour ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

The turntable's gearing has been already reworked once more, so the pictures don't show the latest version.

The problem with outriggers has been solved either, though.

That's looking pretty good to me, nice solutions!

I love this! This was one of my all time favorite sets, and I've been planning a studless rebuild for ever but never found time. This is just what I was imagining. Can't wait to see it completed! Hope you don't take offence if I revers engineer it for my self.

_ED_

This is looking promising and much more like a modern Technic set. Nice work getting these 2 functions in.

8862 is based on a Caterpillar 426 - getting a look at the real thing might help you come up with solutions for the rest of the build. I think the front section might give you a bit of a challenge...

I9385.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg