Sign in to follow this  
Akassin

[TC20] 6949 Robo-Guardian

As soon as the rules of the new competition were announced, I immediately decided which set I would choose. As a child, I had small sets 6835 and 3013 from the Spyrius Lego Space series. But of course I dreamed of a giant robot 6949.

400x564.jpg

But now the competition begins and ... dreams come true :)

I started by calculating the scale. I chose it using the size of the wheels, which I made from track links. The scale of the new model has become 1x1,7 (I think that 1x1,7 is not too big a difference in scale). The scale also had to be increased in order to be able to implement hand control functions and to be able to repeat design elements with parts of Lego technic.

Future functions (I plan to place all controls on the back):

the original model has only control of hands (of course, this function will be)

I also want to add functions that the original model does not have (I believe they will significantly improve its playability)

- body rotation

- body tilt

- head tilt

the suspension will also be added (after all, this is a Lego technic). And without a suspension, this model will stagger a lot, even on the smallest bump.

Now I started by building a "skeleton" of the future robot to determine its proportions. After that, I will build each of its parts in detail.

640x864.jpg

Good to see, that there won't be just vehicles (almost, as this also has some wheels)

18 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Good to see, that there won't be just vehicles (almost, as this also has some wheels)

More or less it's a vehicle, though a very bad one, as it can pretty much trip over at any point. :grin:

Aren't the stacked wheels in original model supposed to be a representation for tracks themselves? Like you should have tracks arranged this way on such trapeze?

Original set for the contest entry, good luck :)

Maybe. But I will not add tracks. For the last 3 weeks I have not had time to do construction. But I almost finished the bottom part. I'll post progress soon

Unfortunately, I haven’t been involved in the competition for over a month. I will try to do it faster now.
The bottom of the robot is ready.
The suspension rises to a height of 2 students.
The upper wheels rise together with the lower ones.
The original model has very small arms at the bottom for loading. Because the new scale allows - I made them longer and more detailed

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

What is the purpose of that second row of wheels? Are they just there for decoration, or is there some way the lower section can be removed so the upper wheels are needed?

Of couse coolest would be if the wheelbase could extend itself and the upper wheels would move down to form a functional 2nd and 4th axle. I hope you get what I mean, but I think it would be too hard to implement.

Edited by Gray Gear

This question is for Lego designers.:classic:
In my version and in the original set, they are only for decoration.

9 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

What is the purpose of that second row of wheels? Are they just there for decoration, or is there some way the lower section can be removed so the upper wheels are needed?

This is clearly representation of tracks from time when Lego didn't had tracks yet. I think it would make more sense to have tracks aligned like this, but the second row of wheels looks more like in the original.

24 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

This is clearly representation of tracks from time when Lego didn't had tracks yet. I think it would make more sense to have tracks aligned like this, but the second row of wheels looks more like in the original.

I'm like 99% sure that tracks/treads existed at this point, in both technic and rubber varieties. Now, whether any of it was of appropriate size or not is a different story.

As a fan and owner of the original model, I like what the OP has gone with. It's more in spirit with the original model regardless of what the set from 94 may or may not have been implying.

1 hour ago, Geihlen said:

I'm like 99% sure that tracks/treads existed at this point, in both technic and rubber varieties. Now, whether any of it was of appropriate size or not is a different story.

As a fan and owner of the original model, I like what the OP has gone with. It's more in spirit with the original model regardless of what the set from 94 may or may not have been implying.

I checked that and back in 1994 when the set was released there were only 1 stud wide X486/X486a rubber tracks which look like something for small system tractors and dozers, but like you said, the 3873 Technic track link was already there.

I don't know however whether at that time using of Technic tracks in system sets would be okay for Lego designers.

I am so happy to see this project continue, and I am looking forward to the final design. I love that you include suspension, and how it works with the top wheels.

3 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I am so happy to see this project continue, and I am looking forward to the final design. I love that you include suspension, and how it works with the top wheels.

Thank you for your feedback. It is very breathtaking.
New progress. I got close to the arms of the robot

The original set has a panel in the center of the body, on which electronic elements are printed. For this scale, I have nothing of the kind. So for now, I decided to replace this part with a radiator grill. Maybe then I'll come up with something to replace

640x1138.jpg

640x1138.jpg

640x1138.jpg

Edited by Akassin

Looks great! Do you think you’ll need a sway bar by the time you get to full height?

On 7/13/2021 at 3:09 AM, ralphie said:

Looks great! Do you think you’ll need a sway bar by the time you get to full height?

I'm not sure about the stabilizer, but it's time to change the shock absorbers to hard ones

Small update.
Fighter and rear hangar ready
my 75120 became an excellent donor :wink:
The fighter even got one function: variable thrust vectoring engines :sweet:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x1422.jpg

Edited by Akassin

Great use of these Bionicle/Hero Factory pieces in the fighter and the mecha :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Looking forward to the complete build))

It blows my mind that there's barely any system pieces in this small fighter and yet it looks so clean. Also good progress on the big boy :)

On 7/15/2021 at 9:47 PM, syclone said:

Great use of these Bionicle/Hero Factory pieces in the fighter and the mecha :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Looking forward to the complete build))

On 7/16/2021 at 4:22 PM, SaperPL said:

It blows my mind that there's barely any system pieces in this small fighter and yet it looks so clean. Also good progress on the big boy :)

Thank you. Glad you like it.
New progress. Hands ready
Raising the shoulder and bending the elbow will be using the rotating handles.
Turning the end of the hand and opening the claws is done manually.
I don't have a magnet for the second hand, so the hands are the same for now. If time remains, maybe I will come up with another device (drill or weapon)

Sorry for the light from the lamp in the photo

640x1138.jpg

640x1138.jpg

640x1138.jpg

800x450.jpg

Time for updates.

The body is almost ready. Only the part at the back remained open, where the head rotation control wheel will be.
As a result, I abandoned some of the functions that were originally planned:
there will be no tilt of the body and head, because this would require a lot of difference in appearance from the original model. So only suspension and body rotation are added.

I also changed the central part of the body, where the original model has a panel with electronics print. I tried to repeat it with small plates. I really need your opinion, which of the options is better.

It remains to build a head.

800x1130.jpg

800x1130.jpg

800x1130.jpg

800x1130.jpg

Edited by Akassin

You've absolutely nailed the look of this set. I think your solution for the center of the body is inspired and really captures the feeling of that printed panel. Color me impressed with everything you've done here.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:28 AM, Pattspatt said:

This is looking awesome! You’ve really captured the spirit of the original.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:50 AM, Geihlen said:

You've absolutely nailed the look of this set. I think your solution for the center of the body is inspired and really captures the feeling of that printed panel. Color me impressed with everything you've done here.

Thank you for your feedback!

I think I'm done. Next weekend I'll take photos with good lighting.

20210727_004839.jpg

20210727_004955.jpg

I didn't have much doubt that you would finish build strong, and these pictures just prove it. You've done a really excellent job capturing this set. Seeing a set I spent hours and hours with as a kid be brought forward like this has been a real treat.