For this contest, I decided to go with a classic Technic set rather than a System one, largely because of the easier interpretation of the rules, and my greater knowledge of classic Technic sets. My parts collection essentially limited me to building only black, light grey, and red models, and eventually I settled on the classic Whirlwind Rescue helicopter set, which was (in my opinion) the most advanced Technic helicopter from 1991 until 2012. The original set's functions include crank-operated rotors, a folding crane arm, a winch, retractable landing gear, and a joystick-operated rotor tilting mechanism, which works in all four axes.

8856-1.png

My plan is to keep all of the original functions, but to replace the rather unrealistic tilting rotor with a proper cyclic pitch mechanism, using a swashplate.

The first step in the build process was to build the original set as a reference, which naturally ended up being very ugly due to my lack of studfull pieces. No matter!

IMG_20210524_113940046_BURST000_COVER_TO

After this, I set about designing a swashplate design that would fit in the model without looking too ugly (following the time-tested maxim of "Start with the hardest part!", and eventually came up with this design.

IMG_20210524_114015804_BURST000_COVER_TO

Spoiler

IMG_20210524_114024416.jpg

IMG_20210524_114026362_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20210524_114029676_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20210524_114031461_BURST001.jpg

Next, I started throwing together a rough frame, copying the original model fairly closely, and started hooking up landing gear and the rear propeller.

IMG_20210526_134016638.jpg

This is where the model stands currently, and it may stay in this state for a little longer while I finish up a large project I have almost completed.

I imagine the hardest part will be hooking up the joystick to the pitch mechanism, but I doubt the model will prove a great challenge. My main worry is that it lacks imagination, but I'll see what happens as I proceed with the contest.

Thanks to all those who helped set up this contest!

(Contests are great for forum activity! We've had five new posts of contest entries in the last three hours!)

I like your choice of set and your approach as well. I used to like this set a lot when it came out (never had it but I remember it was easy to build just by the images as it's not too dense), and I also always apply the "start with the hardest part" approach! Furthermore, I'd already recognize this set just by the frame you built :)

It appears that me and you are the only ones doing aircraft for this contest so far.:sceptic:

Wait. You actually liftarms which are not black, LBG or DBG?

Jokes aside, great progress so far, I really like this competition! :-)

5 hours ago, whitepen said:

It appears that me and you are the only ones doing aircraft for this contest so far.:sceptic:

I guess so, as long as the Smash'N'Grab is classified as spacecraft, rather than aircraft.

5 hours ago, Jundis said:

Wait. You actually liftarms which are not black, LBG or DBG?

Jokes aside, great progress so far, I really like this competition! :-)

Drat! I must have forgotten to activate my Temporary Localized Colorblindness Device (TLCD)! I won't let it happen again! :wink:

Here's an update:

I've added a lot of LBG to the top, redesigned the swashplate, and made a few other minor changes.

IMG_20210529_181834908.jpg

IMG_20210529_181842548.jpg

IMG_20210529_181850759.jpg

Design looks good, but is there any way you can bring that swashplate down at all? The rotor mast is looking a little tall. 

20 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Design looks good, but is there any way you can bring that swashplate down at all? The rotor mast is looking a little tall. 

I've been doing a lot of work on rebuilding the swashplate mechanism, and one goal has been to lower the rotor to a more accurate height, so hopefully I'll have something to show soon.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Here is my latest progress:

Hooked up landing gear

Hooked up winch boom mechanism

Redesigned swashplate mechanism (lowering rotor somewhat) and hooked up joystick

Made other minor changes

IMG_20210531_185510787.jpg

IMG_20210531_185519779.jpg

1280x960.jpg

IMG_20210531_185532236.jpg

IMG_20210531_185542657.jpg

Some colors are subject to change.

I've now added the winch mechanism, with nice geometry to allow the ratchet to snap into engaged and disengaged positions, as well as seats and pretty well everything else I was missing.

I'm not certain if I'll be changing anything else, but this could quite possibly be the final version!

IMG_20210605_220200174.jpg

I Would say that if you wanted to go with the full studless look, then a gap-filling-in would be needed. Otherwise, good work! Maybe clean up the bottom area with that joystick liftarm running through. 

2 hours ago, Scoar Sonander said:

I Would say that if you wanted to go with the full studless look, then a gap-filling-in would be needed. Otherwise, good work! Maybe clean up the bottom area with that joystick liftarm running through. 

Well, my I understanding of the contest was that it was better to keep the model as close as possible to the original's look, as in most historic studless remakes, but this is of course open to discussion.

You're right about the linkage being a little ugly, and I did in fact tweak it a bit for my latest iteration, though the picture doesn't show it.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Well, my I understanding of the contest was that it was better to keep the model as close as possible to the original's look.

Another example of me not reading the instructions properly... :sweet:

Could you make a point to use the lower resolution image links?

This thread takes an age to load on my phone.

Looks good! The one change I'd like to see is thin lift arms held on with 3/4 pins rather than half pins or axles with bushes, which are old school solutions to that problem and less secure.

For the linkage, you could use two 6L thin beams. Put black pins between them in the last two holes each end. This can then be placed inside a 6L wishbone. It's a very marginal amount of bending required and would give it a neat symmetrical look.

40 minutes ago, Scoar Sonander said:

Another example of me not reading the instructions properly... :sweet:

Well, possibly, but I'm really not all that confident that my impression is correct, given the number of other interpretations floating around!

13 minutes ago, amorti said:

Looks good! The one change I'd like to see is thin lift arms held on with 3/4 pins rather than half pins or axles with bushes, which are old school solutions to that problem and less secure.

For the linkage, you could use two 6L thin beams. Put black pins between them in the last two holes each end. This can then be placed inside a 6L wishbone. It's a very marginal amount of bending required and would give it a neat symmetrical look.

I'll see if I can figure out the lower resolution images in the future. The 3/4 pins are a good idea, and I'll plan on changing that, thanks!

As for the link, I'll attach a picture of what I did on the bottom, which is somewhat like your suggestion, but allowing the linkage to remain in line with the helicopter, despite the one stud difference in position.

640x480.jpg

I'll try out your suggestion as well too, though.

1 hour ago, amorti said:

55 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I'll see if I can figure out the lower resolution images in the future.

That's why we ask the members to take care of the allowed image size. Max is 1024. Your pics are four times the allowed size.
Please upload them in the allowed size, so we can all follow the topic without slowdowns or disconnecting.

2 hours ago, Milan said:

That's why we ask the members to take care of the allowed image size. Max is 1024. Your pics are four times the allowed size.
Please upload them in the allowed size, so we can all follow the topic without slowdowns or disconnecting.

Sorry about that!

I'm not quite sure what the 1024 is referring to, though.

I'm using BrickSafe for my pictures, and I see that I can select sizes of 640x480, 800x600, and 1280x960 (pixels, I assume). If I embed the 640x480 will that be small enough, or is there something else to the image size I'm missing?

Thank you

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I'm not quite sure what the 1024 is referring to, though.

1024x768 pixels - max allowed size for images.
In your case, (using Bricksafe options), 800x600 is fine. You can also resize your images before posting them to BS, so you can have them in exactly the size you prefer (in 1024 for example).
If I can help you with images, I will be glad to, but let's keep it to PM.

So far I'm really liking this one. You've kept the original styling, scale and functions while upgrading the main function to be more realistic. Love it!

Great work on the mechanisms!  To me the styling looks a little sparse, even though it is very similar to the original.  I think it might benefit from a little bit of "filling in", although I have no idea how ...

11 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

Great work on the mechanisms!  To me the styling looks a little sparse, even though it is very similar to the original.  I think it might benefit from a little bit of "filling in", although I have no idea how ...

Thanks!

You're right that the styling is sparse, but so is the real set, and the information topic tells us that "The main voting criteria is whether you have replicated the sets as close as possible!" and that 

"the first and most important criterium [is] True to the original," so I think I'll keep it this way. I would definitely fill it in if it were a standard MOC, though!

I've had the thing done and apart for a while now, but haven't got around to posting my final pictures until now. First I will list the functions, and then show the pictures.

Functions:

Crank-operated landing gear

Crank-operated winch boom deployment

Crank-operated winch

Crank-operated main and tail rotors

Joystick-operated two-way cyclic pitch mechanism with swashplate.

640x480.jpg

Spoiler

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg]

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

Yes, I just dumped all of my pictures on here, mainly because it takes less thought to put them all in than to decide which ones are most important.

Hopefully putting them in a spoiler box kept it from being annoying, but if it does bug you, please let me know.

My images are at: https://bricksafe.com/pages/2GodBDGlory/whirlwind-rescue