3 hours ago, SaperPL said:

While this looks really cool, it's a bit further away from the contest's rule that I would imagine would make sense.

The original set was really small and I would probably aim at using wheels like 30.4x14 tires and keeping mechanisms simple if I was going to follow the "try to stay as close to original as possible" suggestion in the rules.

Also so far this is only virtual - you are planning to build it physically?

Well it was also the goal to built it in modern technic and i think that if this kind of set would be in technic it would be this scale. And after all, the contest is about having fun, isn't it?

Well, yeah, about the fun - yes, nothing is stopping you. As for the scale - there are micro scale Technic sets and I believe it would probably be made like that if it was to be remade as studless Technic.

I would probably expect something scaled like Mini Class Xerion with long gear rack and it's enclosure to simplify the construction.

Before the content was defined, there was a talk about this to not make stuff like there's a small lego sports car and since there's no strict scale restriction, someone could submit something at Technic supercar scale like a C-model from bugatti. The competition is fun when there are reasonable restrictions - when you can make things significantly bigger, then for one you can make a better physical model just because you've got more cash to spend on the bricks.

With that said, the model looks nice and it's a fun experience to do something like that, I just don't think it's within the spirit of the contest rules.

This keeps getting better. I like how you figured out the gearbox, and looking at it now, it was the right decision to incorporate this feature. Looking forward to see how you do the cabin. 
This is my favorite TC20 so far. Keep it up. 

8 hours ago, SaperPL said:

Well, yeah, about the fun - yes, nothing is stopping you. As for the scale - there are micro scale Technic sets and I believe it would probably be made like that if it was to be remade as studless Technic.

I would probably expect something scaled like Mini Class Xerion with long gear rack and it's enclosure to simplify the construction.

Before the content was defined, there was a talk about this to not make stuff like there's a small lego sports car and since there's no strict scale restriction, someone could submit something at Technic supercar scale like a C-model from bugatti. The competition is fun when there are reasonable restrictions - when you can make things significantly bigger, then for one you can make a better physical model just because you've got more cash to spend on the bricks.

With that said, the model looks nice and it's a fun experience to do something like that, I just don't think it's within the spirit of the contest rules.

At the end of the day. People will vote with hearts and minds. One of the issues with the competition as I see is interpretation of the rules.. a lot of people are struggling with staying as close to the original except one or two... but then we are seeing some fantastic entries that people would have never thought or dreamed to build and I like to see everyone's creative thinking. Would I add this moc to my collection. Yes..  and certainly other entries as well. 

4 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

a lot of people are struggling with staying as close to the original except one or two... but then we are seeing some fantastic entries that people would have never thought or dreamed to build and I like to see everyone's creative thinking

Creative thinking comes from striving to stay within specified rules. It is when we see people creatively constructing stuff that fits at a small scale for example, but other restrictions can force creative solutions as well. TC18 was had really cool entries because of that (I did not pay much attention to TC19).

You can always make MOCs you want to do, but it's obvious you can fit more mechanics into significantly bigger models, so the more bricks you use, the more complex it gets. And this gets to a point where it's about the amount of money you can sink into a physical model, and I've seen over and over again that people will vote for bigger, more expensive things they can't have rather than things they could potentially build with what they have. That is why the rules in such competitions are there and entries should be strictly evaluated by admins, so it lets kids with some amount of bricks compete against AFOLs that can spend virtually unlimited money on their models. So yeah, anyone can vote as they wish, but admins should be strict. I don't want to spam this thread with a discussion like that, so that'll be it for me. If my interpretation of TC20 rules (and the spirit of it) is correct, I believe this model should not fit within the rules, but it is a cool project nevertheless.

Edited by SaperPL

Thanks guys :-)

I will redo the lower rear end, now it looks a little to chubby :D

@SaperPL : I totally respect your viewpoint and surely don't want to break the rules. I am not an AFOL with unlimited parts and money and had to de-assemble 3 model (42114, 42121 and 42122) to get the parts needed. If this model were against the rules, the admins surely would take note and I'd withdraw it from the competition. But as there has been a lenghty discussion about which models should be allowed and how to reinterpret them in a modern technic way. It was my understanding, and the understanding of many others, that it is within the rules to change the scale if needed but to stay as true as possible. To recreate this model in it's original scale would completely give the exact same functions as it had and zero innovative and creative character. :-)

Hi guys,

as I moved to a new city, I didn't have much time to further build the model but at least assamble the core structure with a few bricklink orders. I really hope I find the time to finish this model in the remaining weeks :-)

On the downside, the crane will not be able to lift both the container and the little tractor. The wheels of the tractor are just to heavy and the crane, as it has a off-center mounted beam, can't support the whole weight and is bending awkwardly. But as I remember from my childhood, this was also the case with the 6352, as the winch would always unwind if not held and the crane tipped over in some positions when fully erect, so I guess I'm keeping it original :D

Real-1.jpg

Edited by Jundis

Looks great, and I love the inclusion of the little tractor. It’s a shame the payload of the crane is less than expected, but yeah, the original was like that too.

I am looking forward to how the cabin turns out. 

On 7/21/2021 at 2:01 PM, Thirdwigg said:

Looks great, and I love the inclusion of the little tractor. It’s a shame the payload of the crane is less than expected, but yeah, the original was like that too.

I am looking forward to how the cabin turns out.

Thanks!

The final parts arrived today, so I could finish the build. Pics are below. I'll do a short video tomorrow, showing the functions ;-)

Seite-klein.jpg

Ausgerichtet-klein.jpg

Traktor-klein.jpg

Gepackt-klein.jpg

Looks really nice, but there is a huge problem; this is one of my 3 favorites and which to choose?

2 hours ago, 1gor said:

Looks really nice, but there is a huge problem; this is one of my 3 favorites and which to choose?

Thank you! Go with your guts, I also have 3 favorites so far :-) We still use the normal, old formula 1 style of vote, or not?

2 hours ago, suffocation said:

Superbly executed both in looks and functions. The exposed gears really elevate it for me :wub:

1 hour ago, Thirdwigg said:

Great Job. I love how it turned out.

Thanks, guys :-)

24 minutes ago, Jundis said:

We still use the normal, old formula 1 style of vote, or not?

I think yes, but @Jim has a last word in this :wink:

Really cool build after all. I'm not so keen on the exposed gears, but there's a lot of fine details like the cabin door on the crane and the hood of the tractor.

I still believe this should be out of the scope of "Try to stay as close to the original as possible" but I'm not the one to judge this, so well.

Anyway we've got a lot of creative builds crossing the boundaries and this is definitely one of them.

By the way, I'm blown away how compact your tractor feels - it uses the same size of wheel that my tractor used but mine feels bulky in comparison to this .

And here ist the video made with my humble skills in camera, cutting and music :D

Now I see that cab looks great with those  black connectors instead and of soft axles :pir-love:

3 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Now I see that cab looks great with those  black connectors instead and of soft axles :pir-love:

Glad you like it :-)

The soft axles felt too flimsy here. I even tried horizontal bars and axle but this looked like a cage and not a cabin... 

5 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Glad you like it :-)

The soft axles felt too flimsy here. I even tried horizontal bars and axle but this looked like a cage and not a cabin... 

I know, soft axles are causing me a problem with my telehandlers, so they wait a bit for their turn...I think I'll stil your idea with connectors :devil:(if I don't spent all of them on mudguards) 

I was curious what's up with the seat on tractor until I saw the video, and that's a pretty simple but clever solution. Good job on this detail as well :)