Hi guys,

many ideas came to my mind, but I ended up with a model from my childhood as I had way more System models back then. There was one I loved so dearly:

6352-1.png

I already had a layout in mind and it seems it fits perfectly. The scale will be determined by the small tractor tires and will be about 3:1 (8:3 to be exactly).

Functions will be:

- Steering of outer axles (operated from upper frame)
- Extending outriggers (operated from upper frame)
- Pushing down outriggers (each of it indipendently)
- extending boom
- lowering of the hook
- lifting of the boom

The model of course comes with the little blue tractor (steering and fake 2-cylinder engine) and the cargo container. It may even have the right scale for a technic figure... hmm :-)

At least for now, the lower frame is a rather straight forward built. The outriggers work in my first test, but need way more stabilisation on the frame....

6352-Remake.jpg

Edited by Jundis

Great choice and I am interested to see what you do with this. 6352 was the first set I remade in Technic, so it has a special place in my heart. Looking forward to see what you do with it.

I already like what you did with the outriggers. 

The lower part is nearly finished. Already tested it with different colours and awaiting the wheels and some red parts for the outriggers now :-)

Steering through yellow axle, outriggers activated by blue gear.

Can't wait to continue this weekend xD

Test2.png

On 5/27/2021 at 7:36 PM, whitepen said:

This looks fantastic!

On 5/27/2021 at 9:49 PM, HorcikDesigns said:

Wow, the outriggers look really good. Altough the geartrain looks realy courageous. But I like it a lot!

Thanks guys :-)

A little update: Tractor is nearly finished, have to order some special parts in blue now. The contailer is also finished.

I gave up on the idea of making the boom lifting via a gear rack and some liftarm mechanic to make it visually more like the real thing. This really is too stressful for the wormgears. Now I am going the normal way of using an linear actuator instead.

Test3.png

This thing looks great. Looking forward to how it turns out. I especially like the use of the Jeep's tires here - works perfectly for such a model.

On an unrelated note - how did you insert Stud.io screenshots directly into the post (i.e. without linking from Flickr). Did you just reduce the size until it's small enough to be uploaded? I'm afraid that to reduce the size I'll either have to make the image really small or reduce the quality a lot, and your screenshots are big and clear.

Thanx guys :-)

On 6/1/2021 at 6:48 PM, I_Igor said:

Perhaps tractor would be better with this seat  

I already thought about it, but I'd like to add a technic minifigure and for that, the seat puts it in an awkward position as the head is tiltet downwards :D

On 6/1/2021 at 9:10 PM, JLiu15 said:

On an unrelated note - how did you insert Stud.io screenshots directly into the post (i.e. without linking from Flickr). Did you just reduce the size until it's small enough to be uploaded? I'm afraid that to reduce the size I'll either have to make the image really small or reduce the quality a lot, and your screenshots are big and clear

I usually just upload them (any upload platform will do) and just copy&paste the direct link (ending with .jpg .png or any other graphic format) into my posts, which generates the pic automatically.

I like the progress so far! 

One thing I find weird is why you chose to route the steering controls up through the turntable. I would have just put a HoG on the back, like on the LEGO red all terrain crane. I think controlling the steering could get a bit weird if the HoG is mounted on a turning superstructure.

5 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

One thing I find weird is why you chose to route the steering controls up through the turntable. I would have just put a HoG on the back, like on the LEGO red all terrain crane. I think controlling the steering could get a bit weird if the HoG is mounted on a turning superstructure.

Thanks!

That was also my first plan, but the outriggers are so close next to each other and need some space for unfolding that the HOG on the backside would have been moved outwards 3 studs, which really looks silly. So it will be on top of the cabin as a warning light.

3 hours ago, Jundis said:

any upload platform will do

Which platform did you use here?

I used imgur for my screenshots, and it only showed up as links to the images on the imgur website. I usually use Flickr for actual photos (i.e. not screenshots), but if you click on the photo it'll take you to the Flickr website to view it. Here, it just enlarges it if you click on it and doesn't direct you to another website.

1 hour ago, JLiu15 said:

I used imgur for my screenshots, and it only showed up as links to the images on the imgur website. I usually use Flickr for actual photos (i.e. not screenshots), but if you click on the photo it'll take you to the Flickr website to view it. Here, it just enlarges it if you click on it and doesn't direct you to another website.

I use https://imgbb.com/

2 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

My Imgur-links are converted to pictures automatically, as long as I link directly to the image file.

8 hours ago, howitzer said:

My Imgur-links are converted to pictures automatically, as long as I link directly to the image file.

Thanks! I copied "direct link" instead of "image link" and it worked for me.

A few news on this model:

Boom is finished and working really well (need few yellow panels before showing real pics).

Test5.png

The upper body really gives me headaches. I reworked it again and again. I combined the boom extension and crane hook mechanism via a two way gearbox, Now I am really thinking of combining all 4 functions (boom extension, boom lifting, hook lifting and outriggers into a 4 way gearbox, activated just by the LBG lever on the right side... what do you guys think?

Test4.png

A gearbox would really take this model to the next level, but of course it also needs to look good on the outside, which it does now! Great progress!

This project is really coming along nicely. Very faithful to the original. If you can do the 4 way gearbox that would be great. I very much like the boom design, and may steal some ideas for my build. 

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I very much like the boom design, and may steal some ideas for my build. 

I won't; it is to wide for me (but it looks very nice indeed) :wink: 

Thanks guys :-)

Is there a more compact solution for a 4-way gearbox? Each red gear has to be activated independetely.

Test6.png

You can move the two axles one stud apart. Then you don't need the black elongation parts. You can use 3 12T gears in a row to bring the power to the functions.

Another option is to use a wave form selector. But then you need more vertical space.

On 6/11/2021 at 1:42 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

You can move the two axles one stud apart. Then you don't need the black elongation parts. You can use 3 12T gears in a row to bring the power to the functions.

Another option is to use a wave form selector. But then you need more vertical space.

I tried different configurations, but all turned out more cumbersome... :-/

I now stuck with my first idea and build the chassis, currently waiting for more biscuit pieces:

Test7.png

Test8.png

Test9.png

While this looks really cool, it's a bit further away from the contest's rule that I would imagine would make sense.

The original set was really small and I would probably aim at using wheels like 30.4x14 tires and keeping mechanisms simple if I was going to follow the "try to stay as close to original as possible" suggestion in the rules.

Also so far this is only virtual - you are planning to build it physically?