msk6003

[TC20] 10262 James Bond™ Aston Martin DB5

I made rendering image for showing how to work function in this car like inside of original instruction

db52_5_1.png

From original 10262

Slide up bulletproof shield using left exhaust pipe - Blue

Secret sawblade in both rear wheel extend outside using right exhaust pipe - Red

Ejction seat using middle section of rear bumper with sliding roof - Yellow

Front machine gun show off using gear stick - Orange

Changeable driver console - Green

New function I added

Fake straight 6 engine connected to right rear wheel - Magenta

Steering front wheel using steering wheel - Dark blue

db52_2_1.png

Driving engine and working steering

db52_3_1.png

Front machine gun and hidden sawblade. I spent nealy 20 days for those machine gun and ejction seat.

db52_4_1.png

Changeable console and bulletproof shield

db52_6_1.png

Ejction seat with sliding roof

Why no one don't replies to my post?

Edited by msk6003

The functionality of this MOC is absolutely second to none. It’s amazing how many features you packed in there, along with some ingenious solutions…

However, the aesthetics are lacking, IMO. I’ll wait to see the finished product but the lines are just not there, and the bodywork is cluttered and messy. But it’s through no fault of your own, I just think you’re running into limitations of technic (and maybe even Lego in general given how ugly the system model was…)

At this point, if you can’t finish it in time for the contest anyway, I’d suggest redirecting the build in a different direction - keep the functions but go with a model team approach and combine system bricks with technic parts to create smooth bodywork. I think it could end up being a fantastic MOC if you can execute that properly.

Best of luck!

6 minutes ago, sm1995 said:

The functionality of this MOC is absolutely second to none. It’s amazing how many features you packed in there, along with some ingenious solutions…

However, the aesthetics are lacking, IMO. I’ll wait to see the finished product but the lines are just not there, and the bodywork is cluttered and messy. But it’s through no fault of your own, I just think you’re running into limitations of technic (and maybe even Lego in general given how ugly the system model was…)

At this point, if you can’t finish it in time for the contest anyway, I’d suggest redirecting the build in a different direction - keep the functions but go with a model team approach and combine system bricks with technic parts to create smooth bodywork. I think it could end up being a fantastic MOC if you can execute that properly.

Best of luck!

I find some seller in my country starting to sell part that I needed some days ago. So I order it. Only I missed is original model's sticker for licenced plate and changeable console and lot of metallic silver for bumper. I changed metallic silver to flat silver but sticker is still missing. Not effected to function but looks little different. Especially licenced plate.

And I didn't care lot to look of exterior because original model is also very different(especially under) with DB5.

Edited by msk6003

I will be harsh on this - you are using a lot of system bricks especially where it matters for the look - grill and bumpers, some tricks like using studded pieces for micro fake piston engine should be okay, but taking such significant portions of the vehicle and making it with system pieces should be a no-go.

If I understand correctly, you've added some functionality over the original set. But as per rules, adding more features shouldn't matter much. And because of that you compromised in some places on the looks (I suppose) since some areas of the model are a bit messy.

I don't think that should be a winning entry unless I'm wrong about the above.

8 hours ago, SaperPL said:

I will be harsh on this - you are using a lot of system bricks especially where it matters for the look - grill and bumpers, some tricks like using studded pieces for micro fake piston engine should be okay, but taking such significant portions of the vehicle and making it with system pieces should be a no-go.

If I understand correctly, you've added some functionality over the original set. But as per rules, adding more features shouldn't matter much. And because of that you compromised in some places on the looks (I suppose) since some areas of the model are a bit messy.

I don't think that should be a winning entry unless I'm wrong about the above.

Landy, mack and liebherr also use lot of system brick for detail. I still remember being surprised that Mack's 4th bag(front fender) is full of System Brick.

And about add new function, I only add driving with fake engine and steering with steering wheel. This is very common (or basic/essential function) in technic set.

If the modified function was counted, the saw blade of the rear wheel would be included. But the saw blade function of the original model was too ridiculous. I have to remove the saw blade from the wheel myself and put in the extra parts and put it back in? It's a bit weird.

Without that, all other function(machine gun, ejction seat, console, licenced plate, secret phone, bulletproof shield) is came from original 10262.

Edited by msk6003

Is there truly no way to secure the front fenders? One of the core component of the current Technic build is form lock and structural integrity, so it only makes sense to secure them as well. I really really want to build this one, but the thought of the front fenders flapping in and out while I'm pushing this thing around gives me gripes. :sad:

19 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Is there truly no way to secure the front fenders? One of the core component of the current Technic build is form lock and structural integrity, so it only makes sense to secure them as well. I really really want to build this one, but the thought of the front fenders flapping in and out while I'm pushing this thing around gives me gripes. :sad:

I'm still thinking about that but can't find fine soluction... Those curved brick line is supported whole front grill and that's not enough space under the car.

Actually, there is not a single stud of space between the long link for front machine gun and the floor.

And because that curved brick line is give a place point of front main light so can't change to other.

db5.png

Like this.

Edited by msk6003

Impressive how much you managed to squeeze, but I'm a bit disappointed to see only one rear wheel drive and disappointed that (at least I don't know that) there are no parts to make more realistic lines of DB5; somehow I think that there are shapes not made for LEGO replications

Edited by 1gor

22 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

I'm still thinking about that but can't find fine soluction...

The 5x11 panel in the hood has two rows of beam on each side, so how about giving it one row only?

22 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Impressive how much you managed to squeeze, but I'm a but disappointed to see only one rear wheel drive and disappointed that (at least I don't know that) there are no parts to make more realistic lines of DB5; somehow I think that there are shapes not made for LEGO replications

I planned use differential but removed for get some space for ejction seat. It takes left rear wheel's gear space.

6 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The 5x11 panel in the hood has two rows of beam on each side, so how about giving it one row only?

I will think more.

44 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

I planned use differential but removed for get some space for ejction seat. It takes left rear wheel's gear space.

I have read that in your first site if this topic, but I was hoping you'll find a possibility to perhaps move it 1 or 2 studs forward, or to the right... perhaps it was just my imagination.

5 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Landy, mack and liebherr also use lot of system brick for detail. I still remember being surprised that Mack's 4th back(front fender) is full of System Brick.

Yes, there are sets that do use significant amounts of system bricks for detail, especially the licensed ones. But the competition is about the studless approach and I believe something like the front grill in your model is a significant element that is defining the look of it, and it's not a minor detail.

13 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

If the modified function was counted, the saw blade of the rear wheel would be included. But the saw blade function of the original model was too ridiculous. I have to remove the saw blade from the wheel myself and put in the extra parts and put it back in? It's a bit weird.

Yeah, that feature in the original was lacklustre. My point was, although I might be in the wrong here, that you might have overdid it with the features which made the look ot the are around the back window really messy. But it might just be the fact that making those original features with just liftarms makes it look like this, so I dunno anymore. If the cause was not having enough space for something just because you had to have space for frame holding this improved feature, then it may be detrimental for this build.

Anyway, features aside as I was mostly in the wrong here, I believe while there are licensed sets with portions of model team approach using system bricks, this contest is not about this but mostly pure studless construction, so the grill is really what's wrong here, from my point of view.

Personally I think your feature set is amazing - definitely the most impressive collection of innovative functions that I’ve yet seen in this contest. The ejection function is fantastic, and a lot more exciting than a differential. I’m amazed you were able to pack all these creative functions in such a small space! 

I like the current front grille - and while it might not be completely in the spirit of the contest, I think the rest of the Technic awesomeness more than makes up for it. 

I think the bodywork overall is as good as it can be given Lego’s limitations - except maybe the A-pillars. Honestly I think since the grille already uses system bricks, might as well double down and find a more attractive system solution. That said, the curves that you’ve already achieved on the rest of the body are more convincing than the System model in my opinion, so great job!

5 minutes ago, Pattspatt said:

definitely the most impressive collection of innovative functions that I’ve yet seen in this contest.

This is a problem for me, because in the rules:

On 5/26/2021 at 5:51 PM, Jim said:

New functions are permitted, but not encouraged. Try to stay as close to the original as possible.

Whilst I really like what is emerging here, I have to say it feels like a response to a different interpretation of the rules as I understand them. If the brief was to take an existing set and make it as functionally amazing as possible this would surely be a contender, but in my view at least, adding more functions isn't what the current competition is about.

10 minutes ago, Brickend said:

Whilst I really like what is emerging here, I have to say it feels like a response to a different interpretation of the rules as I understand them. If the brief was to take an existing set and make it as functionally amazing as possible this would surely be a contender, but in my view at least, adding more functions isn't what the current competition is about.

Like I said before to SaperPL, I only add basic steering and fake engine. It's hard to imagine a technic model of this size without steering and fake engines. And original model's sawblade function is weird.

6 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Like I said before to SaperPL, I only add basic steering and fake engine. It's hard to imagine a technic model of this size without steering and fake engines. And original model's sawblade function is weird.

Yeah, adding steering and fake engine is entirely within the spirit of the contest. As you said, no official Technic set would be released at this scale without steering and fake engine.

Finish

astonmartin007.png

I order parts from seller in my country. Only I missed is metallic silver for bumper and grill and sticker for licence plate.

Insted, I use flat silver for bumper and zebra tile for grill.

I made full photo for entry post so need only video.

db53.png

@Ngoc Nguyen Still connected using side pin hole only but now use both side.

Great work! The functions are even more impressive on video, and the new a-pillars are a big improvement. Thanks for making instructions, too!

14 hours ago, Gregdabrat said:

This is amazing! There is so many great functions in this set!

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Pattspatt said:

Great work! The functions are even more impressive on video, and the new a-pillars are a big improvement. Thanks for making instructions, too!

I will upload after contest resault come. Thanks!

Such a great entry, truly wonderful how many different functions are present in such a small model! 

The small design changes are a good improvement :thumbup: