Jim

[TC20] Technic Studless Recreation Contest - Information Topic

Just now, Jim said:

That might have been the better choice. But we have made that decision, so we can't change it anymore.

Yeah, far too late to change anything about this contest. Maybe next time we'll have something different again!

The vote was effectively hard to make…
I personally made a spreadsheet.
I tried to value the close to original criteria the most. So an entry that isn't the same color as the original lost some points in my ranking. Same for scaled up models. While they are impressive and well executed, they don't imo totally follow the spirit of this contest.
I've also looked if the model was not just a studies replacement of the studded version.
Then, I've looked at the looks and the functionality.
But for the vote I've mainly used the first criteria to decide.

And concerning the voting system in general, I also think that only 6 entries are hard to choose from so many great ones. But I don't really have an idea on what to change to make it better…

3 hours ago, SaperPL said:

Я действительно думаю, что может. Принимая во внимание правила и дух текущего конкурса, размер и сложность модели, возможно, не были приняты во внимание как решающий фактор. В этой ситуации, когда ваше судно на воздушной подушке и вилочные погрузчики GerritvdG были идеально выполнены для больших сборок, и они много раз приземлялись бы как третья, четвертая и шестая, потому что они меньше, означает, что если бы было равномерное разделение точек или меньший промежуток между местами , если бы эти меньшие модели выбирались чаще, чем те, которые были выбраны первыми, это могло иметь значение.

С учетом сказанного, мне интересно, сколько людей на самом деле сосредоточились на безупречном выполнении задачи при голосовании, а не на сложности модели. Вероятно, мы увидим это в результатах, но мне интересно, был ли мой подход к условиям правильным.

Just for conversation...

Currently in top-10 by official rules 7th and 9th places has fewer votes (number of inclusions in the top 6 excluding position) than 11th and 12th places in official rankings. Not such a big difference (certainly not for those who are around 10th place). 

Really enjoyed the contest and looking at all the entries. Has been fascinating to look back at the 'old' way of building and wondering how the techniques used by Lego back in the day would be judged today - the difference in robustness is really stark.

It's also been good to see a lot of MOCs of a generally lower part count and budget - I would think that nearly all could possibly be made for around 100 euros each, which is rare to see!

28 votes so far (including mine) and 47 entries.

Edited by Berthil

Will the voting topic be frontpaged so that other "not technic" users will see and vote? 

25 minutes ago, mpj said:

Will the voting topic be frontpaged so that other "not technic" users will see and vote? 

I'm not sure that would be a good idea, as the non-Technic oriented people wouldn't know how to judge the entries properly, especially for this kind of specialized contest, so it might skew the results into unwanted direction.

2 hours ago, mpj said:

And I think of course the contest should be frontpaged. This time in the competition there are a lot of small models. Such models can be built even by people who do not have a large number of elements.  And if we want to attract new builders. This is the best opportunity to popularize our Lego Technic forum.

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

I'm not sure that would be a good idea, as the non-Technic oriented people wouldn't know how to judge the entries properly, especially for this kind of specialized contest, so it might skew the results into unwanted direction.

This contest involves nostalgic sets and all the entries could be very attractive for non-technic people. Surely this is more suitable than any other past contests, which were more only-technic oriented (and some of them, if not all of them, were frontpaged).

Agreed, and don't underestimate the other members of this site taking the effort of voting for the entries of this contest.

I tried caculating first page of vote only

And this is what I lerned

1. no matter how many function in limited rule, only little people care about your moc(even you get highest view)

2. most people attracted to well designed moc

3. I can't do design well, so I will never top ten in future contest and now.

I'm torturing myself in this comment. Not for blame other people/eurobrick.

10 hours ago, mpj said:

@Jim and @Milan are there any plans to get this on the front page? 

Just picking up this line:

10 hours ago, howitzer said:

.. as the non-Technic oriented people wouldn't know how to judge the entries properly, .. so it might skew the results into unwanted direction.

I would doubt / analyse / .. the points assigned by any user at all. It would be up to the 'official' judges to check if entry is according to the rules.So maybe a pre-check may be reasonalbe in the future as indicated earlier...

I am AFK but I featured the topic. So it will appear on the frontpage.

6 hours ago, msk6003 said:

I always hope for at least one point! Don't want to set my bar too high!

12 hours ago, msk6003 said:

1. no matter how many function in limited rule, only little people care about your moc(even you get highest view)

I gave your entry 10 points!

On 8/13/2021 at 1:36 PM, msk6003 said:

I tried caculating first page of vote only

And this is what I lerned

2. most people attracted to well designed moc

I'm torturing myself in this comment. Not for blame other people/eurobrick.

Yours was one I struggled with. mostly faithful to original in terms of styling. Amazing showing of technic features. I just hate the original set (looks are very off for db5) and had 6 other sets I liked both form and function.  Top 10 for me though and I was in awe of your building skills with the limited pieces at your disposal.

Edited by KevinMD

Boy oh boy this is a tough contest in terms of attributing points to the amount of fantastic entries. I'm certain on some but torn on others. I know the current F1 style scoring system works, but i really do wish i could dish out at least 10 amounts of points, instead of just 6, and even then it'd still be tough going.  

Btw., when will the voting be closed and the results announced? I can't seem to find that info on any of the contest-related topics... @Jim @Milan

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

Btw., when will the voting be closed and the results announced? I can't seem to find that info on any of the contest-related topics... @Jim @Milan

We will close the public voting this Sunday. And hopefully we will have the jury results by the end of the day or Monday-evening-ish.

I checked all page of voting post 

I hope I can get in top 10 in first voting.

------Caculated all vote-------

Damn... What's the problem in my entry???

Edited by msk6003

2 hours ago, msk6003 said:

I hope I can get in top 10 in first voting.

------Caculated all vote-------

I hope I can get any votes.

------Reviewed all votes-------

I am not serious on this one :roflmao: - the drive from the contest that results in ton of fun building the entry is all that I need :classic:

48 minutes ago, Ivorrr said:

I am not serious on this one :roflmao: - the drive from the contest that results in ton of fun building the entry is all that I need :classic:

That's the spirit!

Milan and I will discuss our Top-3 later today and most likely publish the results tonight. Currently, I have 4/5 for my Top-3, so I do need to go through them again.

13 minutes ago, Jim said:

That's the spirit!

Milan and I will discuss our Top-3 later today and most likely publish the results tonight. Currently, I have 4/5 for my Top-3, so I do need to go through them again.

But is the Top 10 already calculated? :sweet: