Jim

[TC20] Technic Studless Recreation Contest - Information Topic

Here is some updated information about the voting scheme. There will be a public voting phase. The top-10 will continue to the jury voting phase, where @Milan and myself will pick the top-3. Points from the public voting scheme won't count towards jury voting. We will start with a clean slate in the jury phase.

We will give you a brief explanation how we picked our top-3, but we won't go into an elaborate discussion afterwards.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:11 AM, Jim said:

Hi. Closer to the original is better. That's what this contest is all about. Of course you can do some modernization, but I won't slap on panels without proper reason.

Ok, thank you, I stopped on recreation model team set.

:laugh:

Together with my 42053 review :tongue: 

Just a quick question, can we use one of the 4 picture as a gif/animated picture ?
Or is it better to make a video to show the function in action ?

30 minutes ago, Touc4nx said:

Just a quick question, can we use one of the 4 picture as a gif/animated picture ?

Yes, you can use gifs, too.

This contest is turning out even better than the previous one. So many cool builds. Amazing. Judging will be a tough cookie!

3 hours ago, Jim said:

This contest is turning out even better than the previous one. So many cool builds. Amazing. Judging will be a tough cookie!

It feels to me like this could be two separate contests - one for modernising the sets to be built with modern parts and approaches and one with straight beam to liftarm conversions. It will get weird to decide on what to vote :D

Anyway - should I assume my gifs are okay for the entry? Also a last minute inclusion of the video should be fine as well, I hope :)

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Is there anyone that attempts a remake of the classic mobile crane 8460?

No, I haven’t seen it yet here and on RB. Would be a nice set, one of my childhood sets!! 

On 7/19/2021 at 11:50 PM, SaperPL said:

Anyway - should I assume my gifs are okay for the entry? Also a last minute inclusion of the video should be fine as well, I hope :)

Yes and yes

I'm really surprised that there are so few classic system sets in the competition. When the contest was just announced, I thought that it would be a competition of construction / fire / police cars from lego city against spaceships and underwater bathyscaphes. Now I feel a little awkward and lonely with my robot among the classic technic sets. I hope I understood the task of the contest correctly :laugh:

My part is still not arrived even I ordered 7/8. I don't know why. @Jim Can you please extend deadline little? I can't get part in korea that I needed. No one in Korea deals with it.

22 minutes ago, Jundis said:

@Akassin Don't worry, we are in the same boat :laugh:

if I had the right colors in my collection , we would be sitting not just in the same boat, but also on the same seat, because I was thinking about building 4552 :grin:

13 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

My part is still not arrived even I ordered 7/8. I don't know why. @Jim Can you please extend deadline little? I can't get part in korea that I needed. No one in Korea deals with it.

I don't mind extending the deadline, but there is no guarantee you will get the part at all, right? What's your alternative solution, besides waiting the part and hoping you will get it? Do you have contingency plan? :sweet:

31 minutes ago, Akassin said:

I'm really surprised that there are so few classic system sets in the competition. When the contest was just announced, I thought that it would be a competition of construction / fire / police cars from lego city against spaceships and underwater bathyscaphes. Now I feel a little awkward and lonely with my robot among the classic technic sets. I hope I understood the task of the contest correctly :laugh:

You are free to remake whatever you see fit, but I do think it's easier to recreate a classic Technic set, because of the scale and building techniques. It's easier to stay close to the original, which is the main criterium of the contest.

Hi Jim, given the first line of the brief says " This contest is all about recreating a classic studded set, using contemporary studless LEGO Technic.", what's your view on the use of original tires, even when they aren't considered contemporary? I think it's causing a few of us some confusion; the originals score highest on closeness to original (obviously) but does the contemporary rule apply, given that tires are already studless by default?

29 minutes ago, Brickend said:

Hi Jim, given the first line of the brief says " This contest is all about recreating a classic studded set, using contemporary studless LEGO Technic.", what's your view on the use of original tires, even when they aren't considered contemporary? I think it's causing a few of us some confusion; the originals score highest on closeness to original (obviously) but does the contemporary rule apply, given that tires are already studless by default?

Hehe that's an interesting question. By "contemporary studless LEGO Technic" I mean what you would find in stores today. I would rather see modern tires than retired (pun intended) tires. Close to the original is in terms of functionality and design, not the parts used.

I hope I've made things clear and not started a new discussion :laugh:

3 hours ago, Jim said:

I don't mind extending the deadline, but there is no guarantee you will get the part at all, right? What's your alternative solution, besides waiting the part and hoping you will get it? Do you have contingency plan? :sweet:

One of my order is deliverd today. I planned buy original model If last order not arrived in time. Still missing 1 part(mudgurad) but allmost other can get.

10 minutes ago, Brickend said:

@Jim Thanks for the clarification, that makes it much clearer to me.

:thumbup:

@JimCan you please extend deadline 1~2 week? 8/9 or 8/16. I asked the people who bought it from the same seller, and thay said it usually takes about three weeks.

Would also be great for my built, 1 week more and I can finish the built :-)

On 7/23/2021 at 1:31 PM, Jim said:

Hehe that's an interesting question. By "contemporary studless LEGO Technic" I mean what you would find in stores today. I would rather see modern tires than retired (pun intended) tires. Close to the original is in terms of functionality and design, not the parts used.

I hope it gets enforced by the jury since for those who adhere by the rule it was harder to build from contemporary parts and also building remake with some crucial parts that were used in the original set like tires, rims, suspension pieces and some panels that were significant part of the original look, would be easier.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:42 AM, msk6003 said:

@JimCan you please extend deadline 1~2 week? 8/9 or 8/16. I asked the people who bought it from the same seller, and thay said it usually takes about three weeks.

I'm against extending the deadline. There are people that decided on smaller builds to fit within deadline when it comes to ordering parts and building time. If I knew beforehand there were two more weeks for it, I'd build the second set and decide on which to submit for the entry.

Edited by SaperPL