Jim

[TC20] Technic Studless Recreation Contest - Information Topic

[PROMO IMAGE TO BE CREATED]

TECHNIC STUDLESS RECREATION CONTEST - INFORMATION TOPIC
This contest is all about recreating a classic studded set, using contemporary studless LEGO Technic. The main voting criteria is whether you have replicated the sets as close as possible!

DESCRIPTION
Select a studded LEGO set (or part of a set) and create a studless Technic version (replica if you will) of this set. Lots of classic LEGO sets won't have as many functions as we are used to in Technic, but it's okay to add some functions not present in the original set. However, please don't add functions because you think more is better. The idea behind the contest is to replicate the chosen set as close as possible. It is allowed to replace colors, because it will be necessary in some cases, but you need to stay as close to the original as possible. Don't turn a yellow car into a red car, simply because you like red better. The best entries are the ones which are instantly recognizable without a picture of the original. Keep that in mind.

The deadline date is Monday, the 9th of August 2021. The contest will be closed on Tuesday, the 10th of August, OR LATER.

Disclaimer: I will close the contest when I see fit, and when I have the time to process the results. This can be later than the deadline date. Please don't complain about this not being fair and all.

RULES AND REGULATIONS
The following section describes the contest-specific and general rules and regulations. But before that, please take notice of a simple motto regarding the Eurobricks Contests:

CONTESTS ARE FOR FUN!

Of course, there's competition, but at the end of the day, LEGO is just a hobby and the main goal for each of us is to have fun!

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• There is no scale limitation, but the closer the scale matches the original scale, the better. Try to stay as close to the original as possible.
  • There are no part or size limitations. Try to stay as close to the original as possible.
  • New functions are permitted, but not encouraged. Try to stay as close to the original as possible.
  • Color substitution is permitted, but not encouraged. Try to stay as close to the original as possible.
  • Using some system parts is permitted, but the model should be considered studless!
  • Model Team style building is not permitted. You can use system parts but keep it mainly Technic (studless in this case).
  • 3rd party Strings, Hoses and Rubber Bands are permitted.
  • Mindstorms and LEGO Electronics are not permitted.
  • SBrick, Buwizz and PFxBrick are not permitted.
  • 3rd party tires are not permitted.
  • Other 3rd party parts are not permitted.

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Each entry needs to have a name (no name, no entry).
  • The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me, or Milan.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Custom stickers are allowed.
  • No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • The contest might be closed later than the deadline. Don't complain about this not being fair.
  • You have enough time to build. Don't ask for more time.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Jury members are not eligible to participate.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?
All participants need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [TC20].
  • A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should NOT be used to "reserve an idea".

ENTRY POST
The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Entry name
  • One or more images (max 4).  You can have combined pictures (4 in 1) as long as the picture isn't bigger than 1024x1024.
  • Include the set number and a picture (actual photo or downloaded image) of the original model.
  • Embedded video is not mandatory this time
  • Link to your discussion topic

VOTING
The voting scheme will be partially public and partially jury (Milan and myself). Only members who have 50 posts or more are eligible to vote . If you have fewer posts, you can vote, but your votes will be automatically excluded from the tally. More details about how voting goes down will follow.

Voting criteria are (in no particular order, except the first and most important criterium):

• True to the original
  • Quality of the build.
  • Looks (shape, color scheme, etc).
  • Functionality.
  • Originality.

PRIZES
This time we do have a big prize for the winner and two small sets for the runners up.

technic_gold.png 1st PRIZE
The winner gets this awesome set! Or one of the ones below if he/she prefers hehe.

51191746634_7d8657e47d_z.jpg

technic_silver.png 2nd PRIZE technic_bronze.png 3rd PRIZE
The runner up gets dibs on one of the two sets below and the one completing the podium gets the other set.

42121-1.png42122-1.png

Does the orginal set picture count in the 4 pictures allowed ?
And if we do a side by side comparison, does that count as the picture of the original set ?

Anyway, I'm hyped for this contest. I hope I will be able to finish in the deadline for once :grin:

Just now, Touc4nx said:

Does the orginal set picture count in the 4 pictures allowed ?
And if we do a side by side comparison, does that count as the picture of the original set ?

A maximum of four images total. One of them containing a reference to the original. This can be a side-by-side comparison picture or a separate picture.

1 hour ago, Jim said:
  • Model Team style building is not permitted. You can use system parts but keep it mainly Technic (studded in this case).

I don't want to nitpick, but isn't this supposed to say "studless" instead of "studded"?

1 minute ago, Gray Gear said:

I don't want to nitpick, but isn't this supposed to say "studless" instead of "studded"?

I was simply checking if someone would read the rules :tongue: 

(of course, I will change it. Thanks)

Hurray! I am always excited about a new contest, and I am particularly excited about this one. This one is going to be peak nostalgia!

Edited by Thirdwigg

10 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

This one is going to be peak nostalgia!

:thumbup:

All those yummy old sets.

Well, so choosing some hardcore nostalgic city set (e.g. from 90's or older) is without compromises almost impossible, and upscaling it would mean desperate ballancing on the edge of the prohibited space? I was secretely hoping for slightly different main approach to the theme, but I see that it would make voting at least 4 times harder. 
Ok, model choice change in process, challenge accepted.

That’s the spirit :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Well, so choosing some hardcore nostalgic city set (e.g. from 90's or older) is without compromises almost impossible, and upscaling it would mean desperate ballancing on the edge of the prohibited space? I was secretely hoping for slightly different main approach to the theme, but I see that it would make voting at least 4 times harder. 
Ok, model choice change in process, challenge accepted.

Nostalgic city is my aim, but yes, your notes about compromises and upscaling are serious concerns. 

Another contest I will miss.
I hope someone will do the model below. I would if I joined.

8854-1_large-1.jpg

So 80's and 90's City and other vehicle sets are pretty much out of the question due to the scaling issues. Back to the drawing board I guess...

@Jim and @Milan when it comes to functions what is your view in doing the same function but in a modern Technic way instead of identical to the original. Eg something that was gears on the rack brick to extend things being replaced by a modern linear actuator or something that was a lever to pull being changed into a gear to turn ?

24 minutes ago, howitzer said:

So 80's and 90's City and other vehicle sets are pretty much out of the question due to the scaling issues. Back to the drawing board I guess...

Hmm I think this rule is just to prevent from very large builts....?

@Jim and @Milan : This really is problematic for non-technic studded builts of city/system models... does this really weight heavily on your voting?

Edited by Jundis

3 minutes ago, Jundis said:

@Jim and @Milan : This really is problematic for non-technic studded builts of city/system models... does this really weight heavily on your voting?

Yeah, it isn't exactly against the rules, but the model I planned would have been about 2,7 times larger than the source material (according to Sariel's model scaler) so that's a pretty big discrepancy.

2 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Yeah, it isn't exactly against the rules, but the model I planned would have been about 2,7 times larger than the source material (according to Sariel's model scaler) so that's a pretty big discrepancy.

Hmm same as mine. I will work that way as on the other side, models in city scale (width 5 or 7) are just not interesting to remake, if we stay in scale. :-)

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

@Jim and @Milan when it comes to functions what is your view in doing the same function but in a modern Technic way instead of identical to the original. Eg something that was gears on the rack brick to extend things being replaced by a modern linear actuator or something that was a lever to pull being changed into a gear to turn ?

You are, of course, free to introduce new solutions and parts for the functions, but again, try to keep it in the spirit of the contest: as close as possible to the original.
Ideally, you would want for your replica (whether it is bigger or smaller than the original) to be instantly recognizable without a picture of the original.

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

3 hours ago, Jundis said:

Hmm same as mine. I will work that way as on the other side, models in city scale (width 5 or 7) are just not interesting to remake, if we stay in scale. :-)

Guys, there is no scale/part limitation. You are free to use old 4 wide City/Town vehicles/vessels/aircraft as your base!
The closer the scale matches the original scale, the better.
So, don't take a 4 wide City car and make a 1:8 supercar with all the possible gizmos you can fit.
Build it in a scale which allows you to retain the visual identity and "spirit" of the original build, whether it is bigger or smaller than the original.

4 hours ago, Lipko said:

Another contest I will miss.
I hope someone will do the model below. I would if I joined.

8854-1_large-1.jpg

It’s on my list of 30 options right now. We’ll see if it makes the cut. 

good luck any one trying to present a MOC soon as TC20 seems popular already!

thanks for the contest :thumbup: I'm gonna try.

8 hours ago, howitzer said:

This doesn’t have to be a problem per se. We will look at scale, but it’s not the most important factor. I’d say, go for it :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Jundis said:

See my answer above. 

Ok then, I hope I'm not judged too harshly for the scaling issues with my model selection :laugh: Still, the above discussion made me rethink my options and I came up with several ideas, but as the entries are limited to one per person, I guess will stick to the original.

Not that I have much hopes of winning anyway, looking at the other entries which have been posted so far. Doing this mostly for fun and building practice.

For a promo image I'd suggest the 40th anniversary set. It shows perfectly that with tuday's studdless it's possible to remake old sets in a much smaller scale.
To be honest, the entries I see so far are mere beam-by-beam-replacement models. This challenge might be much tougher than any other contest before...

Please guys, don't make my eyes bleed because of beam stacking!

EDIT: sorry, it's just my personal preference, I understand that a 1:1 studdless version is also interesting and looks cool, so I'll stop here.

Edited by Lipko

3 hours ago, Lipko said:

Please guys, don't make my eyes bleed because of beam stacking!

EDIT: sorry, it's just my personal preference, I understand that a 1:1 studdless version is also interesting and looks cool, so I'll stop here.

That's an interesting comment. It's not necessary to fill every gap. You can do this if you feel it's necessary, but the model can have gaps, as most Technic models have.