obijon

[MOC] MINIs from Bad Batch - 4 New models - Justifier, Fennec's Ship, Gobi's Ship, Rho-Class Shuttle

New models will appear in replies to this thread.

Hello again everyone,

I have been unwell and otherwise busy workwise so not posted anything for a while but I return with the signature ship from The Bad Batch, the “Havoc Marauder”.

The Havoc Marauder was a Omicron-class attack shuttle that served as the personal starship of Clone Force 99, also known as the "Bad Batch." The craft was unique compared to other Grand Army of the Republic starships, so it was used for the Bad Batch's covert and undercover missions throughout the Clone Wars.  I could have added this model to the Clone Wars thread as it first appeared there in the final season but it will be more prominent in the new series (unless it goes the way of the Razor Crest 😉). 

I have not watched any of the Bad batch yet, I will wait until it’s nearly all available and then binge watch.  If it's half as good as Clone Wars...........

Now enough waffle and on to the model.  The only real tricky part was the pointed cockpit section, which is all  built on one of those old space robot bodies and attached to the main body using a headlight brick and a 1x6 plate which runs along the length of the body.  The ship is very angular so I settled on using the 1x2 grille slopes along the sides and whilst there are the obvious gaps the curved slopes just didn’t look right.  I think overall I have captured the shape pretty well.  The relatively new 6 x 4 wedge plates are also perfect for the main construction of the folding wings.

The Echo minifig is a custom from an ebay seller.

Let me know what you think.

More models soon.

Jon

HavocMarauder1.jpgHavocmarauder2.jpgHavocmarauder3.jpgHavocmarauder4.jpgHavocmarauder5.jpgHavocmarauder6.jpgHavocmarauderdisplay.jpg

Edited by obijon

Looks great! I could easily see this as one of those little polybags lego puts out, like their x-wings or star destroyers. Another superb microbuild. 
I'd definitely say you should check out bad batch ASAP, it's just as good as CW season 7 and it's going to go on for I think something like 16 episodes, so it might be a bit long to wait unlike some of the shorter shows they've put out (If I remember correctly one of the marvel ones is like 6 episodes)

That echo minifig looks a bit cursed though, his arm is giant! :laugh:

Thanks very much.  I might start watching it next week as it is half term.  Can watch it after the monster has gone to bed and don't have t get up early to take him to school!

Hello again everyone

Apologies, it’s been a while since I last posted anything new.  We have had some work done on the house and all the LEGO was packed away in boxes in various stages of completion.  I was hoping to post something over Christmas but the work on the house overran and my own work has also been busy due to year end so not had a chance to build/post anything until now.

To make up for this I am posting 4 NEW models from The Bad Batch.

JUSTIFIER

The Justifier was a starship owned by the bounty hunter Cad Bane. It had a central thruster that was capable of reorienting itself laterally, so that it would align itself horizontally with the ship.  The Justifier was created for an unfinished four-episode arc starring Cad Bane and Boba Fett in the animated television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, prior to the series' cancellation. Dave Filoni and Pablo Hidalgo revealed concept art for the Justifier during "The Untold Clone Wars" Panel at Celebration Anaheim in April 2015 and the concept was tweaked for Bad Batch.

Naturally the reorienting thruster is the main feature of the ship so I have incorporated this in to the model.  There are no real tricks on this model but I think I have most of the features and shape and dimensions right.  The biggest problem was this model not becoming too large as the engine section is pretty big with the 4 thrusters.

The Cad Bane minifigure is cool so this looks good on display.

Justifier1.JPGJustifier2.JPGJustifier3.JPGJustifier4.JPGJustifier5.JPGJustifier6.JPGJustifierDisplay.JPG

FENNEC SHAND’s SHIP

As is obvious from the name this is Fennec Shand’s ship in which Shand travelled to Pantora in the ship after being tipped off by a contact that Omega was on the moon.  I have not been able to find the actual name of this ship or the model/class so if anyone can enlighten me!

This model is built along a spine of brackets with normal brackets one side and inverted the other like this:  This utilizes the 5:2 ratio very nicely.

img_3773.jpg

This allows for the tan highlights on the top of the model to be realised from the thin part of the bracket.  I did use bricks with studs on both sides to begin with but then adding plates and the slope for the shape of the hull became too wide.  If the new 2 x 6 wedge plates become available in the right colour I may rebuild this ship using those.

Again, I think the shape/dimensions/details are pretty good and again the Fennec Shand fig is cool.

FennecShip1.JPGFennecShip2.JPGFennecShip3.JPGFennecShip4.JPGFennecShip5.JPGFennecShip6.JPGFennecShipDisplay.JPG

PANTORAN CRUISER

The Rainhawk-class transport, also known as the Pantoran Cruiser, was a type of transport utilized by the Pantorans during the Clone Wars and as such this ship first appeared in the Clone Wars series.

The Twi'lek freedom fighter Gobi Glie (who also appeared in Clone Wars) used one of these starships to give the young Hera Syndulla piloting lessons and took the ship on supply runs for the Free Ryloth Movement, including a rendezvous on Ryloth's nearest moon to pick up weapons.  Crosshair showed off his incredible sniping skills as he shot down Gobi’s ship with a single bolt.

It’s a simple build this one with a custom Gobi Glie minifigure (the Twi’lek head is from Firestar toys with a clear transfer added by yours truly).  I do like the new 1 x 2 bracket (used to attach the slope at the back of the ship).

PantoranCruiser1.JPGPantoranCruiser2.JPGPantoranCruiser3.JPGPantoranCruiser4.JPGPantoranCruiser5.JPGPantoranCruiser6.JPGPantoranCruiserDisplay.JPG

RHO-CLASS SHUTTLE

The Rho-class transport shuttle is visually extremely similar to the Nu-class attack shuttle, with key differences being a dorsal wing, an elongated hull, and the ability to attach and carry cargo pods for passengers or supplies or mobile barracks to the underside of the hull.

Following the reorganization of the Republic into the Galactic Empire at the end of the Clone Wars, the Imperial Military continued to use the Rho-class transport shuttle and it regularly appears in Bad Batch.

This model is based on the polybag of the Nu-Class shuttle but is very heavily modded.  Obviously, it has been lengthened, the dorsal fin added, the engines and rear have been completely redesigned along with a new build for the wings.  I have also managed to incorporate a removeable cargo pod which was not as simple as I first thought as there needed to be space for the wings to fold down. 

In fact it this little model turned out to be more about borrowing a few ideas from the polybag as although the main body looks very similar to the design of the polybag the actual construction and interlocking of pieces is very different.  Now to rebuild the Nu-Class in the same way…………

Crosshair travelled in one of these so he is included as the minifigure.

RhoClass1.JPGRhoClass2.JPGRhoClass3.JPGRhoClass4.JPGRhoClass5.JPGRhoClass6.JPGRhoClassDisplay.JPG

Let me know what you think.

I hope to post again soon.

Jon

You seem to have quite the knack for these.  I personally was a fan of the planet sets back in the day.  Now just realized I used back in the day in a Lego forum.  (sigh) :pir-huzzah2:

Thank you. The Planets sets were so much better than the microfighters which replaced them. Can you tell I was a fan………

Loved how you used the original Cad Bane minifigure, way better than the 2013 one.

I’m glad that there are still people out there who still build Star Wars micro scale, loved doing it all the time, would really challenge my creativity.

On 2/6/2022 at 1:40 PM, obijon said:

Thank you. The Planets sets were so much better than the microfighters which replaced them. Can you tell I was a fan………

Finally someone who agrees with me, those were so awesome not only for the micro builds, but were also a good and cheap way to get cool minifigures (Especially the Lobot minifigure that only appeared there, which I had), that were found in more expensive sets.

On 2/13/2022 at 1:24 PM, Wolfpackfan99 said:

Loved how you used the original Cad Bane minifigure, way better than the 2013 one.

Yes, it is much better and also available on a keychain so it is available at a fraction of the price of the actual figure.  A good pair of wire cutters and hey presto!

On 2/13/2022 at 1:24 PM, Wolfpackfan99 said:

I’m glad that there are still people out there who still build Star Wars micro scale, loved doing it all the time, would really challenge my creativity.

totally agree. it's like solving little puzzles getting the right shapes etc in small scale and when you get there........Building is also very therapeutic - it helped keep me sane during lockdowns

6 hours ago, obijon said:

Yes, it is much better and also available on a keychain so it is available at a fraction of the price of the actual figure.  A good pair of wire cutters and hey presto!

totally agree. it's like solving little puzzles getting the right shapes etc in small scale and when you get there........Building is also very therapeutic - it helped keep me sane during lockdowns

Yeah, I remember when the Lego ideas book was really big, me and my friends would always be in a race to sign it out of the library, we really loved the space chapter, and I believe at the end of the space chapter it had a couple pages on space micro builds. I liken micro building to the architecture and creator themes where you’ll always find a regular piece used in an unorthodox way, I’ve noticed that the Lego Star Wars theme has really downsized on micro builds for poly bags, which used to be cool, along with the late and great planet series, I love doing Star Wars micro building because there’s so much source material to reference, and much more easier than building an actual starship.

Yes the Star Wars polybags are fewer but the Lego Star Wars magazine has some nice little models as the gift from time to time. The Falcon on the current issue is fantastic for its size.