Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Hmmmm, thinking about all the recent kerfuffle over leaks and false rumors, I have been reflecting on an important deep Zen life question:  Which is the most fun?

A)  Hearing a rumor about some sets, which might be 50/50 false, and wouldn't be available for over a year anyway, even if true.

B)  Seeing a few blurry snapshots of prototypes that are probably 90% real, but might never get released, and not for at least several more months.

C)  Seeing big clear photos of sets that are 100% real, and will definitely be hitting shelves within a few weeks, and you can officially pre-order now from the Lego site.

I'm leaning towards B or C, which means that there are a bunch of fun Lego YouTuber channels I can watch.  For B, BrickClicker is great.  For C) either AshnFlash, MandRproductions, or Just2Good?  What would you recommend?

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

I’m quite surpsied that Alan Grant from Jurassic World theme doesn’t have a hat+hair mold, quite similiar to Indiana Jones’ hat…

I have a theory:

-the 4 sets were part of a big wave for 2022, most cheaper sets were based on Indy 5, the classic films had these expensive ones. 

-cheaper sets delayed to 2023 with perhaps other Indy sets

-these are actually for a LotR revival and not Indy, I cannot see Avatar 2 as a brand new theme to have such expensive sets when they should get kids into it with the new film

So, I think Coconut is Indy or LotR, no way it's Avatar 2. That one will have cheaper sets, I think. 

Well, here we go...?  BriQ Foundation on YouTube is confirming that "coconut" is indeed Indy, and that it's based on the "Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues" video game, which covered the first four movies, including Crystal Skull.  Apparently, the coconut may be a reference to a puzzle in the game where you have to collect four coconuts.  I'll have to re-watch it later.  Do you think it's trustworthy?  If so, go ahead and watch the game play-thru and try to guess what they will do.  Maybe it could be is to get more eyes on their gaming themes like Horizon?  Maybe it's to get more revenue from Steam?  Maybe it's to find more ideas to mine?  Maybe it's a wrinkle in the licensing agreements?  Maybe just for a fun switcheroo?  Haha, I am 100% down for this!  =D

10 hours ago, TurinTheGreat said:

I cannot see Avatar 2 as a brand new theme to have such expensive sets when they should get kids into it with the new film

PotC was brand new in 2011 and had $80 and $120 sets in its first wave, and so did other new themes. Avatar II can’t be ruled out purely based on that :wink:

52 minutes ago, The Real Indiana Jones said:

Apparently, the coconut may be a reference to a puzzle in the game where you have to collect four coconuts.

Promobricks mused that when the info first dropped. BriQ Foundation aren’t leakers themselves as far as I know

So I think in the game there’s a place in the Raiders hub world where you can collect 4 coconuts which unlocks some kind of carnival game.

It sounds a bit odd to be honest. They’re making a line based off a 13 year old video game that isn’t even sold by LEGO anymore. Would it not just be easier to make sets based off the film directly?

Edited by Tariq j

8 hours ago, Tariq j said:

So I think in the game there’s a place in the Raiders hub world where you can collect 4 coconuts which unlocks some kind of carnival game.

It sounds a bit odd to be honest. They’re making a line based off a 13 year old video game that isn’t even sold by LEGO anymore. Would it not just be easier to make sets based off the film directly?

I’m sure the sets are going to be based on the films themselves, I think what they’re trying to say is that the “Coconut” codename is a reference to the old Lego game. I think it’s a bit of a stretch, but that’s such a fun, deep-cut connection, I really love it.

1 hour ago, TurinTheGreat said:

If it's Indiana Jones I predict the biggest set will be Temple of Akator, we need something maya from lego. I hope they make an alien too. 

Not to be a wet blanket, but the popularity of Indiana Jones is at an all time low. If Lego wants these sets to sell, they’ve gotta appeal to the longtime fans and really focus on the iconic stuff that everyone loves and recognizes.

I agree that a Mayan temple in Lego would rock, but a $140 Mayan temple set based off the most despised scene in the franchise would be a shelf warmer for sure.

7 minutes ago, Portal Out said:

Not to be a wet blanket, but the popularity of Indiana Jones is at an all time low. If Lego wants these sets to sell, they’ve gotta appeal to the longtime fans and really focus on the iconic stuff that everyone loves and recognizes.

I agree that a Mayan temple in Lego would rock, but a $140 Mayan temple set based off the most despised scene in the franchise would be a shelf warmer for sure.

I don't get the hate for the 4th film, I loved it, thought it was fun. Though maybe I was too young for  it and that's why, I was 10 when it came out. I hope this theme becomes evergreen, didn't get sny sets back then, now I want all of them. 

53 minutes ago, TurinTheGreat said:

I don't get the hate for the 4th film, I loved it, thought it was fun. Though maybe I was too young for  it and that's why, I was 10 when it came out. I hope this theme becomes evergreen, didn't get sny sets back then, now I want all of them. 

For fear of drifting too far off course I’ll be briefish. As someone who grew up with it, the whole idea to me was that it was very boy’s own, Saturday matinee, pulp adventure. By mostly being set in the 1930s it was kept warm and snuggly in the last age of adventure, before the Second World War and the pulling down of the veil of global mystery. Some of the older Lego themes were inspired by Indy, and we’re really popular. As soon as we knew that the next one was set in the 1950s it was bittersweet, because the design and architecture of the period were still iconic enough and a South American setting was new and still exotic. However when you get to the Fifties you get to the new postwar go to for pulp fiction, sci-fi. Indy is not sci-fi, especially aliens. 

18 hours ago, Portal Out said:

I think that ever since Disney is distributing this film, it might become rather popular among youger audiences, perhaps others will be in the limelight again too. I have a feeling they might make Lego sets similar to Jurassic World sets, if you know what I mean.

On 2/23/2022 at 3:56 PM, Portal Out said:

While this may not be the most loved scene, I do think that making a larger set based around the temple would still sell well just for virtue of being an "adventurers' temple" design plus Indiana Jones. Additionally, if it was the main set for the fourth movie, it would also include plenty of potentially desirable and exclusive figures, which would balance out the lack of enjoyment of source material. 

I would expect the Temple from RotLA to be one of the larger set focuses though due to the iconicity and the love of material.

Lemme get this straight:

• Avatar II: is released in theatres in December, 4 sets currently rumoured to be scheduled for April
  • Indy: originally supposed to be released in July, 4 sets scheduled for October :wacko:

Are we 100% sure there wasn‘t a mix-up? :laugh_hard: The leaked Na’vi head is only a prototype, so this doesn‘t necessarily lend credence to the rumour :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

4 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Lemme get this straight:

• Avatar II: is released in theatres in December, 4 sets currently rumoured to be scheduled for April
  • Indy: originally supposed to be released in July, 4 sets scheduled for October :wacko:

Are we 100% sure there wasn‘t a mix-up? :laugh_hard:

Lmao.

At least if these sets really are for Avatar, then we know for 100% that Coconut really is Indy :laugh:

2 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Lmao.

At least if these sets really are for Avatar, then we know for 100% that Coconut really is Indy :laugh:

True. Pushing the Indy sets back to October is not unreasonable considering the film was delayed, but why are the Avatar sets being released in April already (if the rumour holds water)? :wacko: 8 months before a film has to set a new record, delays notwithstanding of course :tongue:

26 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

True. Pushing the Indy sets back to October is not unreasonable considering the film was delayed, but why are the Avatar sets being released in April already (if the rumour holds water)? :wacko: 8 months before a film has to set a new record, delays notwithstanding of course :tongue:

I genuinely have no idea what's going on with those release dates, they are so random.

Indy really does feel like a Summer theme, either June or August. Avatar feels more like an Autumn theme, exactly like October, which would also be perfect for a movie releasing in December.

4 hours ago, TurinTheGreat said:

Indiana Jones 5 wrapped filming, title predictions? 

If those Fountain of Youth rumors are true, maybe Indiana Jones and The Fountain of Youth? I liked that supposed “Empire of Evil” title from a while ago, as generic and Star Wars-y as it is. Maybe something definitively stating that this is the last cinematic outing of Indy like “The Final Adventure” or something.

20 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Lemme get this straight:

Are we 100% sure there wasn‘t a mix-up? :laugh_hard: The leaked Na’vi head is only a prototype, so this doesn‘t necessarily lend credence to the rumour :tongue:

Lego leaks have been so messy this year. I guess whoever Lego hired to start cracking down on leaks must be doing a decent job.

5 hours ago, TurinTheGreat said:

Indiana Jones 5 wrapped filming, title predictions? 

A lot of people have talked about possibility of Fate of Atlantis as title. I am not familiar with source material but it could be the best bet for now, either that or any aforementioned suggestions.

On 2/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

I agree that it doesn't make much sense.  My theory is still that this is wave 1 and is the sets that they had initially designed from the past four films, they're releasing them early, and we've got at least one or two more waves in 2023 to coincide with the film's release.  

The "connection" to The Adventure Continues frankly sounds like something that was made up for clout on social media. It's taking speculation and trying too hard to force it into a genuine connection.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a remaster/rerelease of the two Lego IJ games on modern consoles similar to the Lego Harry Potter collection from a few years ago. Since came out alongside the release of the Fantastic Beasts films (it was originally a PS4 exclusive in 2016, later coming to Xbox One and Switch in 2018), I could easily see the same strategy being used here.

On 2/21/2022 at 10:15 PM, The Stud said:

I’m sure the sets are going to be based on the films themselves...

13 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

The "connection" to The Adventure Continues frankly sounds like something that was made up for clout on social media...

Hmm, yeah, you're right...  It may have a few things vaguely similar to the game, naturally, but the branding on the box will just be "Indiana Jones"...  I am going to stop speculating, and just wait and see...  Peace out!

Looks like Coconut is Avatar 2, according to the latest rumours :classic: I knew it!! This should mean we get the Indy sets a lot earlier :excited:

Edit: Either that, or a lot later :sad: Stonewars speculate that the sets might have been pushed back to 2023, which would make sense.

But in that case, which theme are these unknown set numbers for? :wacko:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants