Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

I’d say lessons were learned but I don’t think many people ever took that guy seriously whatsoever. I know I certainly won’t miss him or his double posting. 

19 minutes ago, Portal Out said:

I’d say lessons were learned but I don’t think many people ever took that guy seriously whatsoever.

Yeah, I was a little bit skeptical about the source apparently just being a guy that works at a LEGO brand store.  I know that legitimate leakers on here can’t reveal too much about where their info comes from, but would a random store employee even know that much?  I mean, I could understand having an idea of what’s coming soon-ish, but do they even get stuff like the retailer catalogues?  (Since every store gets more or less the same products other than the few regional exclusive keychains and stuff specific to cities like New York or Chicago).  

I mean, if store employees knew that much, I really, really, really cannot imagine that there wouldn’t be way more leakers out there, yet at the moment I can only think of maybe a dozen who are reliable 100% of the time and don’t just repost stuff from other leakers and claim they “broke” the story (aka, almost everyone on Instagram).

Sucks that Zelda turned out to be a farce but eh, no skin off my nose. Life goes on. Good riddance to that dude though.

Also, let's not forget that he wasn't even the original source of this rumour.

After the OG source mentioned this theme making a comeback this year, he said that his friend who works at a LEGO store knows that Indy is indeed making a comeback, with six sets.

So the only part that's fake is the six sets part, which kinda makes Coconut more likely to be Indy. Still think it's Avatar tho, four sets feels like very little for whole four movies.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

3 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

So the only part that's fake is the six sets part, which kinda makes Coconut more likely to be Indy. Still think it's Avatar tho, four sets feels like very little for whole four movies.

Agreed. I'm extremely glad the theme's back, but only one set for each film ain't much :oh3: And then there's the release date

15 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I think it's somewhere between possible and likely that we're getting at least two waves of this.  I really can't imagine that they'd bring this theme back and not do a second wave that has sets from the fifth film, which obviously wouldn't come out until next summer (maybe April at the earliest).  That leads me to believe that there could be anywhere between 2-4 release waves.

If we get this initial wave of four sets in September, then potentially we could get a second wave in January, a third wave to coincide with the film's release, and then possible a couple of sets (or retail exclusives or something) after that based around some of the spoiler-y scenes.  I think at least two are likely, with the initial wave plus at least a few sets for the fifth movie.

Of course, this is entirely conjecture on my part, but if those four sets are slated for release in 2022, I would be very surprised if that's it for the Indy reboot.

Quite the shame about what happened. I should have noticed the signs (@Mr No posting information not too long after joining the forum and so on) but most of us fell for it. 

As I understand, rest of the rumours about some Indy sets coming out either in 2022 or 2023 are still active. I hope it all turns out to be true in the end.

1 hour ago, Portal Out said:

I’d say lessons were learned but I don’t think many people ever took that guy seriously whatsoever. I know I certainly won’t miss him or his double posting. 

Are you talking about Mr No, right? If so, in my guts, I didn’t trust him. Something fishy about him.I mean, he made so many random posts with no solid evidences except for Coconut stuff (minus 6 sets part). 

Good thing I put Mr (or I should say Dr. *nods to James Bond) No on my Ignore List. 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

Well, at least it's given us all something to talk about with a unified voice. :shrug_oh_well:

What I don't get is all the time and effort he spent on this forum. Jokes tend to work when they are short and sharp. Also when they are funny. But who wastes two months of their life doing this? Oh well.

Still looking forward to this likely happening, or whatever coconut turns out to be.

I'm glad that IJ weren't connected to the mentally deranged 'leaks'. Here's a hint for the future, store managers know nothing. This is true to every single store chain on the planet. They will never be told anything. 

That said I think coconut is an Animal Crossing theme. My sister's boyfriend's cousin's ex wife, third cousin who knows someone who knows someone who works in a LEGO plant told me so. :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Maple

6 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I mean, if store employees knew that much, I really, really, really cannot imagine that there wouldn’t be way more leakers out there, yet at the moment I can only think of maybe a dozen who are reliable 100% of the time and don’t just repost stuff from other leakers and claim they “broke” the story (aka, almost everyone on Instagram).

Employees used to have access to A LOT of information. I doubt they do any more, now that leaks are oh so prevalent.

I had a buddy who worked at a LEGO Store at the lowest possible level circa 2015. Just a regular store employee. He could access a computer in the backroom with not only set names for six+ months in advance but also often confidential images, including preliminary artwork. I still have artwork he sent me of some things that never saw the light of day and I have never ever seen online. It was ridiculous that that stuff would be on a computer system like that, but it was there.

The fact is that while basic employees had this level of access, the majority wouldn't have even cared, and the rest wanted to keep their jobs so they weren't going to risk anything. Same goes for managers, who had/have as much or more access and more time for it, but who also wouldn't risk their own jobs.

Leaks get out, but overall, the vast vast majority of people who know stuff aren't telling anyone because they don't want to breach their agreements.

5 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

What I don't get is all the time and effort he spent on this forum. Jokes tend to work when they are short and sharp. Also when they are funny. But who wastes two months of their life doing this? Oh well.

Yeah, his breakdown caught me off-guard for the same reason :laugh_hard: Why make nearly 600 posts and throw it all away for a stupid prank? Wait, it‘s the Internet, let‘s call it a „social experiment“ and it‘s all fine, somehow :snicker:

4 hours ago, Maple said:

I'm glad that IJ weren't connected to the mentally deranged 'leaks'. 

Oh yes. If the Indy rumours were fake too, I‘d probably break something :damn: I want to see some real leaks again for a change

9 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Oh yes. If the Indy rumours were fake too, I‘d probably break something :damn: I want to see some real leaks again for a change

Hmm, well the new Indiana Jones movie is totally real, it's mostly complete, and it comes out next year in summer, on June 30, 2023.  It would be totally bizarre if we didn't get any sets for a brand new Indy movie.

Plus it's confirmed on IMDB that one of the characters is named "Pontimus", so yes, it looks like they will be hijacking a German experimental time-machine to go back to Ancient Rome.  Woo-hoo!  Imagine the minifigures!  ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

And it seems totally legit that we'd be getting an opening appetizer wave this fall, with a few nostalgic sets based on the first four films...  That might be "coconut", or it could be something else...  We shall see!  =D

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

On 2/7/2022 at 10:20 PM, Clone OPatra said:

Employees used to have access to A LOT of information. I doubt they do any more, now that leaks are oh so prevalent.

I had a buddy who worked at a LEGO Store at the lowest possible level circa 2015. Just a regular store employee. He could access a computer in the backroom with not only set names for six+ months in advance but also often confidential images, including preliminary artwork. I still have artwork he sent me of some things that never saw the light of day and I have never ever seen online. It was ridiculous that that stuff would be on a computer system like that, but it was there.

The fact is that while basic employees had this level of access, the majority wouldn't have even cared, and the rest wanted to keep their jobs so they weren't going to risk anything. Same goes for managers, who had/have as much or more access and more time for it, but who also wouldn't risk their own jobs.

Leaks get out, but overall, the vast vast majority of people who know stuff aren't telling anyone because they don't want to breach their agreements.

That's really interesting, thanks for the insight!  I guess I had assumed that most of the leaks came from either those working directly for LEGO (like, in their HQ in Denmark or their regional ones, I know in the US it's in Connecticut, I assume they also have some more worldwide, though), or factory workers.  I know that retailers get access to the catalog earlier, but it seems like those don't tend to leak until a little bit later, so I had assumed the people with the very early leaks had an insider connection (especially people who know things about D2C and such, as I don't think a retailer catalog would have UCS stuff?) whereas the later stuff was more based out of those catalogs. 

Again, no idea how much of that is correct, but that's very interesting to hear about how store employees did actually have a lot of access.  I've heard that they crack down a lot tighter on leaks now and will either issue fake leaks to try to figure out the source of info or have just stopped publishing pictures at all in certain cases.

Bummer about Zelda. I still don't understand why that's not happening, given TLG's relationship with Nintendo and the countless times it has gone into review on Ideas. Oh well. I can keep dreaming.

56 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Bummer about Zelda. I still don't understand why that's not happening, given TLG's relationship with Nintendo and the countless times it has gone into review on Ideas. Oh well. I can keep dreaming.

I remain (foolishly?) hopeful that it is happening, it's just that development is a slow process. I'm finding my thoughts difficult to articulate, but I think there might be more details to negotiate when it comes to turning LoZ into LEGO sets, vs. doing it with Mario. People care about the lore and aesthetic of Zelda to an extent that they don't with Mario.

3 hours ago, Karalora said:

I remain (foolishly?) hopeful that it is happening, it's just that development is a slow process. I'm finding my thoughts difficult to articulate, but I think there might be more details to negotiate when it comes to turning LoZ into LEGO sets, vs. doing it with Mario. People care about the lore and aesthetic of Zelda to an extent that they don't with Mario.

Yeah, you can definitely take a lot more creative liberties with Mario than with most other licensed themes. Most of those sets are based on nothing or share the vaguest similarities to something in one of the games, and you couldn't really do that with something like Zelda.

Apparently, it will start with an opening scene in 1965 New York, and then some fairly quick scenes moving through 1940s Germany, and then a good chunk of the action will be in Ancient Rome, plus probably some quick visits to various other cool historical time periods globally...  This makes sense, because all superhero movies nowadays involve time travel and/or a multi-verse.  So Indy will be chasing a magical artifact though time and multi-verses.  Should be cool!

Based on all those possibilities, I have a hunch that The Lego Group will skip over doing any of the scenes with 1940s German soldiers.  They would be a bit controversial in today's climate, and they are just a small part of the movie.  Instead, I am sure we will get some great medium-sized scenes and minifigs of the Ancient Romans featured in the movie, and I think they might also zap quickly through Ancient Babylon, etc, for some brief scenes too, so they could do a bit of that too. 

And we'll naturally get at least one large location-based set about 600 to 800 pieces...  So what do you think it will be?  I'm hoping it's Babylonian or Mesopotamian, because that might be the biggest global civ that has never been done officially!  ❤️❤️❤️

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

If we end up only getting 4 Indiana Jones sets, do you think there’s a chance of them all being 18+ displays with a quote like that Jurassic Park set they just revealed?

On 2/10/2022 at 7:09 AM, The Real Indiana Jones said:

Apparently, it will start with an opening scene in 1965 New York, and then some fairly quick scenes moving through 1940s Germany, and then a good chunk of the action will be in Ancient Rome, plus probably some quick visits to various other cool historical time periods globally...  This makes sense, because all superhero movies nowadays involve time travel and/or a multi-verse.  So Indy will be chasing a magical artifact though time and multi-verses.  Should be cool!

Based on all those possibilities, I have a hunch that The Lego Group will skip over doing any of the scenes with 1940s German soldiers.  They would be a bit controversial in today's climate, and they are just a small part of the movie.  Instead, I am sure we will get some great medium-sized scenes and minifigs of the Ancient Romans featured in the movie, and I think they might also zap quickly through Ancient Babylon, etc, for some brief scenes too, so they could do a bit of that too. 

And we'll naturally get at least one large location-based set about 600 to 800 pieces...  So what do you think it will be?  I'm hoping it's Babylonian or Mesopotamian, because that might be the biggest global civ that has never been done officially!  ❤️❤️❤️

I’ve no idea what’s coming in the movie - but any Lego sets using fleshie figures and representing historical periods would be awesome. Indy is an added bonus!

5 hours ago, Portal Out said:

If we end up only getting 4 Indiana Jones sets, do you think there’s a chance of them all being 18+ displays with a quote like that Jurassic Park set they just revealed?

That’s definitely possible, but I’m not sure if there are enough iconic quoted to go with the iconic scenes that would warrant sets.  

A Well of Souls set with “Snakes…Why did it have to be snakes?” would work, as could a Grail temple set with “You have chosen…wisely”, but other than that, most of the iconic scenes don’t have much dialogue or are too big.  I guess the truck chase could have “Truck?  What truck?” and the boulder scene could have “Audios, Stupido” but I don’t think either are necessarily quotable enough to work.  Also, Temple of Doom doesn’t really have any (unless it was “AHHHHHH!” - Willie Scott :laugh:).

57 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

That’s definitely possible, but I’m not sure if there are enough iconic quoted to go with the iconic scenes that would warrant sets.  

A Well of Souls set with “Snakes…Why did it have to be snakes?” would work, as could a Grail temple set with “You have chosen…wisely”, but other than that, most of the iconic scenes don’t have much dialogue or are too big.  I guess the truck chase could have “Truck?  What truck?” and the boulder scene could have “Audios, Stupido” but I don’t think either are necessarily quotable enough to work.  Also, Temple of Doom doesn’t really have any (unless it was “AHHHHHH!” - Willie Scott :laugh:).

I think you’ll find ToD has the classic line ‘Hold on to your potatoes!’

On 2/9/2022 at 12:31 PM, BlueberryWaffles said:

It could also well be about market saturation. Nintendo themed sets from LEGO are essentially just printing money. But why over saturate the market, forcing people to choose which to get with the money they have now? Give them Mario first, and they can spend money on it now. And then do Zelda in a few years to continue the revenue stream then, rather than get into the cycle of repeats that Harry Potter is doing. Yes, I know Star Wars too, but there is new stuff for that now. It's frustrating for those that want it, but surely it will come, just at the opportune moment. And then from Zelda, through Pirates of the Caribbean, to...

7 hours ago, Portal Out said:

...the point of this sub. I would love this so much. It's purely selfish, but seeing what they can do with the idea, and the MOCs using the same technique for the upcoming Star Wars sets, and others, it would amazing. Although perhaps a shame to not share at least some of the theme with those wanting amazing playsets (and this theme has amazing potential for great playsets).

3 hours ago, williejm said:

I think you’ll find ToD has the classic line ‘Hold on to your potatoes!’

Ah darn, I thought about that.  I legitimately think if they made a set with "Hold onto your potatoes!" printed on a brick, I would have to buy it.

I also realized that "Kali MAAAAAA" would be a great quote too.

Edited by Kit Figsto