Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Antonio Banderas has been cast in the film, so we finally have a chance to see him immortalised as a minifig :sweet: About time if you ask me!

I imagine famous actors spend a lot of time raging about their lack of Lego immortalisation - whilst Warwick Davis laughs in their general direction. 

41 minutes ago, williejm said:

I imagine famous actors spend a lot of time raging about their lack of Lego immortalisation - whilst Warwick Davis laughs in their general direction. 

Sounds like a scene from "Life's too short" season 2! :laugh:

1 hour ago, williejm said:

I gotta grab my popcorn and watch famous actors rage around not being immortalized into lego minfigures! Definitely, I would enjoy this scene.:iamded_lol:

1 hour ago, williejm said:

:laugh_hard: I wish there was a way to like comments on EB

Now, I’m imagining Pitt, Clooney, or DiCaprio yelling at their managers on the phone to make sure they get a role that guarantees them a minifig :snicker: “I’ve told you before, Dave, nobody cares about Oscars anymore, where’s my &@€@!?’€ MINIFIG?!?!”

On 7/16/2021 at 10:55 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Antonio Banderas has been cast in the film, so we finally have a chance to see him immortalised as a minifig :sweet: About time if you ask me!

I wonder what role he could have, but then again, same question can be asked about almost every other actor in this film except 3 of them.

Hm, still no rumours… Sure, there have been exceptions, but sets based on upcoming movies are usually released 2-3 months before the film itself is. So unless they’re scheduled for 2HY (i.e. June), we might not get regular sets after all :shrug_confused:

I hope for a nice D2C set then :purrr:

Yeah, unfortunately I feel like we’d probably have heard something by now if we were getting a full return of the theme.

I think a new D2C is highly possible and could explain why we haven’t heard anything but I don’t want to get my hopes up and end up disappointed. 

I think there's still an outside chance of a theme, but only if they were keeping it under very deep cover.  I remember this time two years ago, we didn't know what "Leaf" was (the assumption was that it was the action/adventure theme that eventually became Monkie Kid, which was confusing for everyone, since that didn't seem worthy of a ton of hype) until the reveal in March that it was Mario.  

It seems a little bit unlikely that the same is true for IJ, since they probably would've wanted to keep the Mario license under wraps, given the fact that it's a brand new partnership and the new technology involved, whereas there's already a ton of Disney themes and they've done IJ in the past, but it's still plausible.

I would be surprised if there isn't anything, though, I expect that the movie will have a ton of hype and the prices for IJ stuff on the secondary market are nuts, so there's definitely demand for a reboot of the theme, but it's also possible that the appeal for a full line may not be there and the prices are just high because the sets are old and the IP is still fairly popular.

We shouldn’t give up hope for a full wave this soon :classic: Sets getting released 2-3 months ahead of the respective movie is common, but not mandatory. For instance, the sets based on KotCS came out the same month the movie did. Sure, that was 13 years ago, but there are recent examples too that had an interval shorter than two months (Eternals and Avengers Endgame, just to name a few).

So a wave being scheduled for June cannot be ruled out yet :purrr:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

The film isn't finished yet, so clearly Lego wouldn't have much material to work upon at this point. I think it's best for us to wait but not get our hopes up too much.

9 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

The film isn't finished yet, so clearly Lego wouldn't have much material to work upon at this point.

Most sets take up to one year from inception to release, so for almost every movie tie-in, they have to start designing the respective sets before the film production is over, which is why they have to rely on concept art so often :wink:

1 minute ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

they have to start designing the respective sets before the film production is over, which is why they have to rely on concept art so often :wink:

Suppose so (Fountain of Youth), still, we mustn't give up hope for the new theme.

11 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Suppose so (Fountain of Youth), still, we mustn't give up hope for the new theme.

There’s dozens of examples (Hawkeye’s red-tinted goggles in the Avengers sets, The “Mandarin”’s hairstyle, Kylo Ren’s grey shuttle & its non-foldable wings, just to name a few) :laugh:

If you find any glaring inconsistencies between sets and what you see on-screen, concept art is usually to blame (or rather the concept art being outdated by the time the design gets finalised).

And you’re right, we shouldn’t give up hope just yet. As mentioned in my previous post, a gap of 1 month between set and film release is not unheard of. Honestly, I’m more worried about Fantastic Beasts 3 not having any sets dedicated to it, Indy 5 in comparison still seems like a save bet to me :classic:

The other thing that, admittedly, doesn't look great for the existence of an IJ reboot is that it would make a TON of sense for them to do some sets based off of the first four films.  Even if they didn't have as large of a wave as last time, some of the classic scenes would absolute deserve to either have their sets remade or made for the first time.  Those wouldn't need to wait, since the source material already exists.

8 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Those wouldn't need to wait, since the source material already exists.

Well, the “release a wave of sets based on the older movies, then another wave for the new one” model hasn’t been used in ages :grin: They did it for Star Wars in 1999, the 2008-2009 Indy theme, Toy Story, Cars, and LOTR/The Hobbit, but for other licenses, they either combined the waves into one (PotC, 2018 HP reboot) or simply released sets solely based on the new film (Incredibles 2, the 2015 Jurassic World line, Trolls 2, Minions 2).

A combined wave is not that far-fetched I think, even though they probably wouldn’t release sets based on all four of the previous films (unless it’s an 8-set wave or so) 

55 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Well, ****! IJ5 has just been pushed back to June 2023 :cry3: Just when we thought the delays were finally over

On the plus side, I think the chances of a Lego wave just went up exponentially!  

I was loosely following the news of filming earlier in the summer, I wonder if this is related to Ford getting injured on set and delaying things, or if it's just them needing extra time to film?  

Yeah Ford’s Injury might have pushed things along. Plus I think Thor and Dr Strange MOM have also been delayed. 

51 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

On the plus side, I think the chances of a Lego wave just went up exponentially!  

I was loosely following the news of filming earlier in the summer, I wonder if this is related to Ford getting injured on set and delaying things, or if it's just them needing extra time to film?  

I think the new IATSE deal had more to do with this delay than Harrison Ford’s injury. It didn’t seem to halt production too much. Disney/Lucasfilm must just want this film to come out during a summer, hence why it’s getting pushed back to the following June of 2023. It’s still a massive bummer though.

I guess if Lego Indy does make a return, it’s probably for the best that it’s not next year. It’s already going to be so expensive. XD

12 hours ago, The Stud said:

I guess if Lego Indy does make a return, it’s probably for the best that it’s not next year. It’s already going to be so expensive. XD

I'll drink to that! :pir-huzzah2:

13 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Not sure how a delay is supposed to affect the chances of the theme returning :laugh: If they hadn’t anything planned for this year in the first place, why would they suddenly decide otherwise just because the film got pushed back almost a year?

Or do you mean TLG knew of the delay beforehand and swiftly removed the sets from any catalogues, which would explain why we haven’t heard anything yet? The problem here is that we have no idea how early merchandising partners are informed of such shifts in release schedules. Earlier than the public I would assume, but beyond that?

12 hours ago, The Stud said:

Bold of you to assume 2023 is going to be any less expensive :head_back: