Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

5 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

It wasn’t exactly guess work

They literally said that those four sets were probably based on DoD and maybe had those four numbers. That's pretty much guesswork, no?

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

My guess? Lucasfilm/Disney were asking for a license fee that TLG wasn’t willing to pay, so they settled for the cheaper license for the old movies :shrug_oh_well:

I still think it's more logical to assume that they are coming just we don't know anything about them yet, rather than assume Lego got an Indy license in time for the new movie but supposedly only have the license for the old movies.

Surely if anything lucasfilm would rather they make sets only for the new movie to cross promote it in a way? Okay sure that's not really how it works but still even if nothing comes out I'm sure that perhaps something was meant to.

I mean it's not quite the tin foil hattery we get about Lego hating the prequels in the sw thread but still, I'd still reckon they will come. If that is foolishness then so be it, I'd rather be an optimist in my folly.

29 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

They literally said that those four sets were probably based on DoD and maybe had those four numbers. That's pretty much guesswork, no?

To be fair, Promobricks basically words everything like that.  Like, even stuff that’s really obvious and you don’t need to really be an insider to figure out, they still tend to do that.  When they put out info saying they were revealing a Mando set this week, their post said something like “it might be based on Ep 2” when it was pretty obviously going to be.

3 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

I still think it's more logical to assume that they are coming just we don't know anything about them yet, rather than assume Lego got an Indy license in time for the new movie but supposedly only have the license for the old movies.

I would agree, but then there's the lack of listings and the fact TLG is missing on the list of licensees. Those two simply cannot be explained away under the assumption sets are still coming.

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

6 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I would agree, but then there's the lack of listings and the fact TLG is missing on the list of licensees. Those two simply cannot be explained away under the assumption sets are still coming.

I suppose neither option really makes any sense though. 

46 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

I suppose neither option really makes any sense though. 

Oh I agree, none of this makes a lick of sense. Really sad about the missed potential here. But it is what it is :shrug_oh_well: 

40 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

LEGO has an Indy license though, else we wouldn't get any sets.  I doubt it is leftovers from the old license from the earlier release 15 years ago.  Hasbro had to get a new agreement just for Indy last year - Hasbro License.

And Promobricks somehow knew the number of sets for DoD - they didn't assume/guess 4, even if there's some logic they guessed the set numbers.  Maybe they won't release, but the idea there were never DoD sets in the works seems contrary to what Promobricks knew.

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Which DoD sets? That was just guesswork by Promobricks. For all we know, sets were never planned to begin with.

As for the reason(s), we will likely never know. They will either not give a statement at all, or just spout some corporate nonsense again.

My guess? Lucasfilm/Disney were asking for a license fee that TLG wasn’t willing to pay, so they settled for the cheaper license for the old movies :shrug_oh_well:

In a span of 24 hours, you went from "Guys, the sets are obviously coming" to "The end is near, toys are doomed".

Seems like the bet is coming back to bite you in the megablocks :grin:

Edited by PGBQW
Okay so I wrote the informal word for "butt", but the forum censor makes it seem like I'm implying something way more suggestive. Not going to change it, tho, it's funnier this way

3 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

Wanna do mine?

Only if you do the technics for my sets.

Have any of the smart design people here put any thought into if you could replicate the original Fighter Plane set’s wings-fall-off play feature into the new set?

Has TLJ actually said the Temple of Doom set was "cancelled" in that exact word? Is it not possible they could revise it and release a set based on the same scene in a future wave? Even if it were really structurally different, if it had the same minifigs and depicted a similar scene I imagine 80-90% of people would be satisfied.

Edited by JVM

6 hours ago, PGBQW said:

In a span of 24 hours, you went from "Guys, the sets are obviously coming" to "The end is near, toys are doomed".

Seems like the bet is coming back to bite you in the megablocks :grin:

Well, I did indeed a complete 180. My new-found hope was resting purely on the vagueness of TLG’s statement, which was completely dashed by Jay’s blog post. And then there was the realisation that the set numbers were never actually confirmed by Promobricks.

Yeah, I should have waited a bit before making my bet. Good thing no one took me up on it because now, I’d be willing to bet the complete opposite :laugh_hard:

36 minutes ago, JVM said:

[…] release a set based on the same scene in a future wave?

What future waves? Have you ever heard of a theme that started with only 3 sets in its first year and then got more? :tongue: 

16 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

What future waves? Have you ever heard of a theme that started with only 3 sets in its first year and then got more? :tongue: 

JP T-Rex Breakout got billed as a one and done, right?  It was a Target exclusive, 18+, and the first Lego set I think for the first movie.  Yet, we are getting more sets a year later that are playsets across a range of ages.  The 2023 wave was probably in the works when T Rex Breakout was announced.

LoTR got a small wave this year (with a huge range of prices and styles!), but there are strong indications that another giant set is coming next year/fall even without Lego knowing how Rivendell was/is selling.

Not saying it will happen for Indy, but it could.

2 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

JP T-Rex Breakout got billed as a one and done, right?

It was the third set based on JP, which is part of the JW theme, whereas Indy is its own thing and not a subtheme of a bigger theme. These two cannot even remotely be compared.

5 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

LoTR got a small wave this year (with a huge range of prices and styles!), but there are strong indications that another giant set is coming next year/fall even without Lego knowing how Rivendell was/is selling.

LOTR came back as part of the Icons theme. It has also been stated that its future depends on how well Rivendell does.

10 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

Not saying it will happen for Indy, but it could.

Incredibly unlikely in my view. Why would they release more sets in a year without a new movie than in a year with one? And as I’ve pointed out before, post-movie follow-up waves for licensed themes aren’t a thing anymore, except for evergreen ones :tongue:

8 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Has the comparison ever been initiated? Is LEGO still listed as a licensee on Raiders and Last Crusade?

3 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

Has the comparison ever been initiated? Is LEGO still listed as a licensee on Raiders and Last Crusade?

What I mean are those lists that always get widely published for major new releases where all of the partners are listed for each product category.

https://www.licenseglobal.com/movies/lucasfilm-announces-licensees-for-new-indiana-jones-movie

I’m sure some of you will be happy to point out that it says “more to be announced”, but that does not concern the toy category :tongue: And in the past, TLG has always been one of the top-billed partners. Their absence speaks volumes.

52 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I don't keep track of enough themes consistently to answer this reasonably. I'm going to expect future waves and if they don't come, I'll be fine.

25 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

What I mean are those lists that always get widely published for major new releases where all of the partners are listed for each product category.

https://www.licenseglobal.com/movies/lucasfilm-announces-licensees-for-new-indiana-jones-movie

I’m sure some of you will be happy to point out that it says “more to be announced”, but that does not concern the toy category :Zunge: And in the past, TLG has always been one of the top-billed partners. Their absence speaks volumes.

I just wanted to attempt a cross test to confirm that this is indeed absolutely 100% excluding LEGO from acquiring the DoD license.

I've also sought consideration that LEGO may not have licensed DoD directly as a stand-alone title, but did at a meta level for the entire franchise, and wanted to check a listing somewhere, but I'm not too familiar with where I'd find such things can check.

I've been googling for a while but couldn't find anything concrete.

I would be most interested in an indication of whether there were any new or updated license agreements regarding the three sets that have now been released in the last 2-3 years, on the basis of which one could draw further conclusions

At the end of the day, this is all a bit strange.

Why did we assume from 2019 that LEGO Indiana Jones could come again: Because we were expecting another movie.

I had hoped for 16 / 17 sets again, but realistically I wasn't expecting any sets for the old films at all, only for the new film, but I was pleasantly surprised that we would get something for the old films a little earlier and thought so would be great fan service and a good introduction to the topic from LEGO.

So it would have been absolutely plausible for me to "warm up" the market with one set per film and then go onto the market with DoD and full power in the summer.

That sounded like a reasonable strategy and made sense

The way it's happening now, it just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

On the other hand, we had our doubts a week ago that Indy wasn't actually canceled entirely and we're experiencing an Osprey revival, and the sets have come out quite normally, albeit with surprisingly little enthusiasm from LEGO.

Three days after the official listing, the first Instagram post came at LEGO Germany, nothing else.

But of course I'm also concerned about the fact that the listing as a licensee is missing

12 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

I've also sought consideration that LEGO may not have licensed DoD directly as a stand-alone title, but did at a meta level for the entire franchise […]

These lists only concern specific upcoming movies. TLG has also been on those for themes they already had the general license for, e.g., Star Wars. More general licensing deals are usually announced separately (see Avatar).

27 minutes ago, JVM said:

I don't keep track of enough themes consistently to answer this reasonably. I'm going to expect future waves and if they don't come, I'll be fine.

Sure, I’m not telling you what to believe. I’m just pointing out that hoping for future waves will in all likelihood be in vain :shrug_oh_well:

22 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

I just wanted to attempt a cross test to confirm that this is indeed absolutely 100% excluding LEGO from acquiring the DoD license.

I've also sought consideration that LEGO may not have licensed DoD directly as a stand-alone title, but did at a meta level for the entire franchise, and wanted to check a listing somewhere, but I'm not too familiar with where I'd find such things can check.

I've been googling for a while but couldn't find anything concrete.

I looked too, and couldn't find anything.  I did find it interesting that Hasbro just re-upped its Indy license last year and had a press release about it.  LEGO has a license (else the three sets wouldn't be coming), but there's no information about that known license.  The article from Licensee Global does quote LucasFilm that the license is largely for the "classic" films.  So LEGO should be on the list if just for the three sets already on LEGO's website. Thus, I don't trust that list as to LEGO's license for DoD because it is clearly false for a license that is mostly for the classic films. 

If you want to be cynical about DoD sets, the fact that Lucasfilms wants to focus on the "classic" films does suggest an equal or greater number of sets from DoD as the "classic" (4 vs. now 3) is against the marketing campaign. 

For me is as simple that if you release 15 diorama sets with no stickers, don't start doing it on the 16... It's a bad move. And more on a +18 diorama set that you want to display. I could understand that for kids but not for an adult oriented set...

8 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

Thus, I don't trust that list as to LEGO's license for DoD because it is clearly false for a license that is mostly for the classic films. 

Sure, the article talks about products based on the classic films too, but the list itself is specifically for DoD. It says “confirmed licensee categories for ‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’”. If those three sets are all there is, then of course TLG doesn’t show up here :tongue:

1 hour ago, Mopasali said:

LOTR got one large icons set and three sets in the Brickheadz theme. That is not a huge range of prices and styles.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

LOTR got one large icons set and three sets in the Brickheadz theme. That is not a huge range of prices and styles.

Surely that’s pretty much the biggest range possible?

4 hours ago, MAB said:

They said huge, not good!