Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Yeah, go team TLC!! :excited: A Venice channel chase remake and a Grail Temple set are a must. Sadly, we will probably never see a minifig of Vogel (who still has one of the funniest death scenes in film history to me), but this time, they could at least include Donovan somewhere. Not featuring the main antagonist of TLC in any of the sets was kinda silly :laugh:

Absolutely! The Grail Temple would be a particularly interesting set given that there’s the interior of the temple to consider, but also the outward facade. Both would require extensive detail so I’d imagine Lego would prioritise the former over the latter.

For the interior, I can picture something akin to Race Against Time from the old Prince of Persia line. I still remember how quickly that line got discounted at most retailers, but it certainly nailed a lot of cool functions that future Indy sets could draw inspiration from.

Edited by Kaijumeister

37 minutes ago, Atrius Kain said:
55 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

Part of me thinks that's why we won't get KOTCS sets because the opposition/enemy in the movie are Russian, maybe Lego want to stay clear of anything that could be deemed as inappropriate or  'escalating' tension (can't think of the word I actually mean)  given the current climate and situation with Ukraine. I know it may sound daft but with Russia been in the media on a daily basis and shown to be the evil/enemy and then children's toys having the Russians as the enemy can actually create a kind of lasting impression on children and in some ways people can say it is a form of propaganda.

This actually makes sense, they still could do temple of Akator and only include Spalko for the bad guy side.

Including only the bad guy who is mentioned to be from Ukraine could be misinterpreted as well.

53 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

[…] given the current climate and situation with Ukraine. 

Indeed. Generic Russian soldiers should be avoided as much as generic Nazi soldiers. However, as @Atrius Kain points out, they could get away with only featuring named characters :classic:

44 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

Weirdly Donovan has never been released as an action figure toy before. Kenner/Hasbro have never made him and neither have LEGO. They chose poorly :tongue:

Really? Huh. Of course the character doesn’t have any fight scenes, but he makes up for that with an extremely memorable death scene that could easily be realised as a toy :laugh_hard: Same goes for a minifig!

1 minute ago, Graupensuppe said:

Including only the bad guy who is mentioned to be from Ukraine could be misinterpreted as well.

That’s a bit of a stretch tough as it’s only mentioned once in the movie :shrug_oh_well:

9 minutes ago, Atrius Kain said:

Hasbro is revealing Dial of Destiny toys Today, could Lego follow?

No. Hasbro and Funko have been revealing No Way Home for months.  Lego must keep the secret until release day 🥇 

30 minutes ago, Atrius Kain said:

Hasbro is revealing Dial of Destiny toys Today, could Lego follow?

If prior reveals are any indication, no. TLG tend to do separate unveilings which are usually much closer to release, especially nowadays. Pretty weird how other toy companies already reveal their DoD stuff while TLG hasn‘t even given us a look at the sets based on the previous movies :laugh:

Just now, BrickBob Studpants said:

Yeah, go team TLC!! :excited: A Venice channel chase remake and a Grail Temple set are a must. Sadly, we will probably never see a minifig of Vogel (who still has one of the funniest death scenes in film history to me), but this time, they could at least include Donovan somewhere. Not featuring the main antagonist of TLC in any of the sets was kinda silly :laugh:

You don't think so because he is a Nazi?  The only reason I wouldn't agree with that is because he was featured in the Lego Indiana Jones game, so to me I can't see why they would do that but not bring him out as a minifigure.  Initially I thought that about the Grail Knight as well, but because he featured in the game I just assumed Lego would be fine with releasing him as a minifigure to. 

I also think doubling up TLC temple as an Indi set and a collectors set would sell really well.  It is after all a wonder of the world (Petra) and Lego does like to give us those as sets.  So far we have the Taj & Colosseum. 

On that note I would be curious to see if Lego are developing a new Indi game?

Just now, Tariq j said:

Yeah, we only got 3 sets didn't we? The plane chase, the motorcycle chase and the boat chase. 

The circus train and the Grail Temple are a must. 

Weirdly Donovan has never been released as an action figure toy before. Kenner/Hasbro have never made him and neither have LEGO. They chose poorly :tongue:

Yeah, we only got 3 and they were all relatively small scale as well.  Every other movie got a fairy larger scale set expect TLC (which is my favourite Indi movie).:grin:  I didn't think about the circus train but that would actually make a really good set, the only reason I can see Lego not doing that though is because currently Harry Potter has a D2C train on the shelves and the new Ideas Orient Express is coming out in the next year or so. 

33 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

You don't think so because he is a Nazi?  

No. If that was an issue, we wouldn‘t get minifigs of any of the villains in ROTLA or TLC since all of them were either Nazis or allied with them. The actual problem is his uniform.

23 minutes ago, Atrius Kain said:

The tank is made up too from what I read.

While it is made up in a similar way the Flying Wing is, it probably looks too much like a real-life tank to be set material, I‘m afraid. I‘d love to have a set based on that scene, but alas…

Indeed. Generic Russian soldiers should be avoided as much as generic Nazi soldiers. However, as @Atrius Kain points out, they could get away with only featuring named characters :classic:

What? What's wrong with getting the generic nazis like in the original line? I get not wanting, like, swastikas on them, but just having figures named "guard' or "enemy soldier" seems perfectly fine.

37 minutes ago, Atrius Kain said:

The new packaging from the kids line from Hasbro will 100% be used for Lego I guess. Looks nice. The Hasbro livestream is up right now on Pulse.

I wonder if Lego will do that plane for Dial of Destiny sets.

Agreed. I liked that they've kept the old logo for the packaging rather than the new one. 

I think the plane will be a major set. It was featured a couple of times during the trailer and in the filming pictures. And we'll finally our first Mads Mikkelsen figure!

4 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

What? What's wrong with getting the generic nazis like in the original line? I get not wanting, like, swastikas on them, but just having figures named "guard' or "enemy soldier" seems perfectly fine.

I know they‘re fictionalised versions, but it still doesn‘t sit quite right with me. I‘d rather they give us named characters instead and only include generic soldiers when there‘s no way around it, like drivers or pilots :shrug_oh_well:

57 minutes ago, Atrius Kain said:

The new packaging from the kids line from Hasbro will 100% be used for Lego I guess. Looks nice. The Hasbro livestream is up right now on Pulse.

I wonder if Lego will do that plane for Dial of Destiny sets.

I was hoping for at least some 3.75” figures that aren’t just retro ones made for people who grew up with them decades ago…but alas. That ‘Worlds of Adventure’ line looks like Star Wars Mission Fleet but adapted for Indy.

Agree that the package art looks awesome! That plane is definitely a Lego set contender, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a tuk-tuk or motorcycle chase scene as well, plus an Ancient Greek tomb if the trailer is anything to go by.

I know they‘re fictionalised versions, but it still doesn‘t sit quite right with me. I‘d rather they give us named characters instead and only include generic soldiers when there‘s no way around it, like drivers or pilots :shrug_oh_well:

I mean, they're bad guys. IMO it's much better than acting like they don't exist.

It's also a huge draw for the sets for many people that they can get lego soldiers.

3 hours ago, Atrius Kain said:

I guess this is how the packaging for the sets will look, with a minifig Indy on it. This gold like color is nice.

Yeah, I like it.

Eh, they’re just confirmed licensees for now I suppose. Perhaps Lego doesn’t want to reveal that they’re making products for the film just yet without a big announcement?

Always possible! One thing I have been wondering about though, is what’s the overall level of interest in the return of Indiana Jones? And how long will that be sustained for?

When KotCS was releasing in 2008, the hype was absolutely huge for both film and merch. Lego went all-out with their sets for two years, Hasbro’s lineup was massive and full of variety, you name it. From a Lego standpoint, we seem to be doing well in receiving 4 sets for the OT and 4 for DoD (pretty similar ratio of old to new like in 2008), whereas with Hasbro there’s one dedicated child-friendly line, otherwise the 6” and retro figures have been created with collectors in mind.

With Dial of Destiny being marked as Indy’s swan song, rather than a ‘the adventure continues’ sort of vibe KotCS had, I do wonder about the future of this property. I’ve no doubt the film will be a good one given the talent involved, but wouldn’t be surprised if the level of interest in Indy quickly goes back into complete dormancy post-DoD until the inevitable Disney+ shows. Just seems like the hype in 2023 isn’t like that of 2008.

Edited by Kaijumeister

6 hours ago, Atrius Kain said:

The source for that article is Giant Freaking Robot, who are notorious for fabricating „scoops“ :tongue: Giving strong „my uncle who works for Nintendo“ vibes

1 hour ago, steveholt said:

I wonder if well get a Belloq in his white suit

Not happening for the first wave at least. The only Raiders set is the Well of Souls, which includes Indy, Marion, Sallah, and a mummy. I can see maybe another wave next year, but am not banking on this being an evergreen theme.

Off topic, but why weren’t the skeletons in the Well of Souls mummified? Especially given that it’s an Egyptian tomb. Always wondered if they were just people trapped in there when that sandstorm wiped Tanis clean off the map.

1 hour ago, Kaijumeister said:

Off topic, but why weren’t the skeletons in the Well of Souls mummified? Especially given that it’s an Egyptian tomb. Always wondered if they were just people trapped in there when that sandstorm wiped Tanis clean off the map.

Bones are scarier than paper 

17 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

Always possible! One thing I have been wondering about though, is what’s the overall level of interest in the return of Indiana Jones? And how long will that be sustained for?

What's the overall interest of a blue elf Avatar movie? The first one was pretty, and an hour and a half too long, with next to no story. Then 12 years later they make a few more. Who wants that? I have never met anyone over the age of 25 that has any interest in those blue elves. I have never met anyone who has ever even talked about Avatar in the last decade. No one showed any interest in it AT ALL for a decade.

Yet it's still making massive money.

16 hours ago, Atrius Kain said:

Problem with hype is thst a lot of you take it from online communities which imo, are a minority. Avatar way of water was said to not have a lot of hype and soon it will pass 2 billion dollars. What online communities or twitter have to say is meaningless compared to the buyers. Indy 5 is gonna make 1 billion, I am certain.

Exactly. Way people are now-a-days is really weird. Everyone goes and sees a Marvel movie, no one really talks about it, not even online that much. We share everything and nothing at the same time. It's an odd time to be alive.

Indy will easily make a billion if it can be shown in China.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:35 AM, Atrius Kain said:

That rumor comes from a bogus source but I can definitely see us getting an animated Indy show at some point. I’m kinda surprised it hasn’t happened yet honestly. The Clone Wars helped keep the Lego Star Wars line alive, though Star Wars is admittedly a much bigger franchise than Indy and had more material to make sets off of, even back then.

I’m not an Avatar fan so I haven’t really kept up with rumors for that theme, but are we expecting anymore waves dedicated to it this year? Because however Lego handles that theme, I could see them following suit and doing the same thing with Indiana Jones. Both are iconic film franchises owned by Disney that are getting revivals and Lego lines to accompany them. If Avatar’s only getting two waves, then Indy will probably only get two waves as well (for now at least).

I also don’t see us getting any 2024 Indy sets if we aren’t getting anything throughout the second half of 2023.

10 hours ago, The Stud said:

I also don’t see us getting any 2024 Indy sets if we aren’t getting anything throughout the second half of 2023.

While the DoD sets still have no release date attached, I think they‘re rumoured to hit shelves in June, in which case we do have 2HY sets :laugh: 

While most licensed themes don’t seem to outlive the immediate aftermath of a movie’s release anymore (unless they’re evergreen of course), I hope Indy gets treated a bit better. The last non-evergreen theme to continue at least a year after the respective movie’s release was probably Cars 2.

3 hours ago, Atrius Kain said:

If we get another Lego Indy game perhpas the theme continues.

I don’t see the relation there. So far, no theme has been extended just for the sake of a game :shrug_oh_well:

To be honest, I’ve taken a continuation of the theme into 2024 for granted, which I now realise would completely break a trend that has been going on for the last ten years. Movie-licensed themes either disappear after the first year (Toy Story 4, Incredibles 2, Trolls, Minions, Angry Birds, Lightyear) or they become evergreen (Jurassic World). Post-movie waves (Cars 2, Indy 2009) aren’t a thing anymore :sadnew:

Indy doesn’t really have that much potential to become evergreen, so unless they make an exception, these two waves might be it, and this time for good :sceptic:

That said, there is one thing Indy has that none of the other discontinued-after-the-movie themes did: an 18+ set, which tend to have pretty decent shelf lives. That might indicate that the theme could stick around a bit longer

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That said, there is one thing Indy has that none of the other discontinued-after-the-movie themes did: an 18+ set, which tend to have pretty decent shelf lives. That might indicate that the theme could stick around a bit longer

It's got the right audience and subject matter to be a series of 18+ sets over several years. Indy's core audience are now AFOLs, which LEGO targets a lot. They may have jumped the shark a bit recently, but look at the success of the DeLorean Time Machine, Ecto-1, and Optimus Prime (possibly). Old franchises that appeal to those 35+ with decent amounts of money to spend (some of them). I could definitely see it having a home in Icons, or just being a set every 1-2 years in it's own small theme.

50 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

I could definitely see it having a home in Icons, or just being a set every 1-2 years in it's own small theme.

That could work too :thumbup: 

My personal preference would be a mixture of one or two regular playsets a year plus a yearly D2C, which could last us for roughly three years. I think that’d be more than enough to cover everything important from the 5 movies.

While that’s pretty unlikely to happen, I won’t be disappointed either way. I’m just so glad this theme returns, short-lived as it may end up being :grin_wub: