Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

If I had to choose which theme to bring back:Adventurers or Indiana Jones,I'd chose the former.The adventurers sets are more creative because Lego isn't tied down by a license and not to mention,nostalgia aside,the original Indy sets aren't that great.Of course there are few exceptions like 7623.

I agreed. I think Adventurers is more easier for designers to be creative and it was  an in-house theme. More better, it does include any Nazi/Communist force.

I have to say Orient Expedition sets were the best one I could remember. 

Oh man, I hope the theme returns. Imo it's the best liscensed theme LEGO has ever done. Each set a knockout.

And as far as I can tell at least two of the designers are still at the company; Raphael Pretesacque and Adam Grabowski. So if the theme returns I'm really hoping these two get in on it!

I'm interested to see how face designs are going to be, hopefully this time, they'll make Indy look older.

I'm pretty sure it's been said, but I really hope a dual molded hat comes out of this line with a hairpiece attached. They did it before with the Lego Movie 2, it was just too specific to be used for much else. C'mon Lego, if you're go a do this, do it right!

2 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

I'm interested to see how face designs are going to be, hopefully this time, they'll make Indy look older.

If the reboot happens the minifigs are going to be more detailed and accurate than the previous incarnation.So I'm expecting old Indy for the sets based on movies 4 and 5,while a younger Indy for the first 3 movies.

2 hours ago, Childe_Roland said:

I'm pretty sure it's been said, but I really hope a dual molded hat comes out of this line with a hairpiece attached. They did it before with the Lego Movie 2, it was just too specific to be used for much else. C'mon Lego, if you're go a do this, do it right!

I think the first dual molded hat piece was introduced on the Lone Ranger sets back in 2013.But this practice became more common as years got by.

1 hour ago, LOTR34 said:

I think the first dual molded hat piece was introduced on the Lone Ranger sets back in 2013.But this practice became more common as years got by.

95220pb01.png

40 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Damn how I forgot about this one? :pir-oh3: Cap Jack is one my favourite minifigures after all :pir-grin:

Have to share your enthusiasm. It seems that early 2010s is the time when they started making dual-molded heads (POTC,TLR,LOTR).

4 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Have to share your enthusiasm. It seems that early 2010s is the time when they started making dual-molded heads (POTC,TLR,LOTR).

Definitely been around long enough Indy deserves one! I would also be interested to see what they do with the whip. The old one was great for coiled, but wasn't the best for action poses. Having just built the new Doc Ock from the daily Bugle, I wonder if a technique similar to his arms could be used.

37 minutes ago, Childe_Roland said:

Definitely been around long enough Indy deserves one! I would also be interested to see what they do with the whip. The old one was great for coiled, but wasn't the best for action poses. Having just built the new Doc Ock from the daily Bugle, I wonder if a technique similar to his arms could be used.

An uncoiled one was introduced shortly after the theme had ended, so maybe they could use both moulds, depending on the set? The uncoiled whip for scenes that require a gap to be leaped across and the classic coiled one for the other sets :shrug_oh_well:

5 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

An uncoiled one was introduced shortly after the theme had ended, so maybe they could use both moulds, depending on the set? The uncoiled whip for scenes that require a gap to be leaped across and the classic coiled one for the other sets :shrug_oh_well:

Wow, don't know how I missed that! But yes, that'd be great if we had some variety.

It appears we have new developments,as always take everything we a massive grain of salt.

Apparently Disney doesn't want the inclusion of soldiers in the sets even with the Nazi/Commie insignia removed,they are currently negotiating about their inclusion with Lego.As for the named villains it appears Disney has no problems with their inclusion.

If any of this is true then I don't like it one bit.Who's Indy supposed to fight if there are no villains present in the sets?

7 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

If any of this is true then I don't like it one bit.Who's Indy supposed to fight if there are no villains present in the sets?

The natives. Though I feel it wouldn't make much sense, as natives usually attack villains. :sweet:

2 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

The natives. Though I feel it wouldn't make much sense, as natives usually attack villains. :sweet:

Best case senario the only villains will be the named villains.But the theme will suffer without regular goons.

3 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Best case senario the only villains will be the named villains.But the theme will suffer without regular goons.

We'll see how it goes. Last I heard they were supposedly starting filming for the movie in Scotland and from my guess Sean Connery was Scottish and it's the only explanation I have.

1 minute ago, Jack Sassy said:

We'll see how it goes. Last I heard they were supposedly starting filming for the movie in Scotland and from my guess Sean Connery was Scottish and it's the only explanation I have.

I don't see how Sean Connery fits in all of this,his character died as it stated in the 4th film.

Just now, LOTR34 said:

I don't see how Sean Connery fits in all of this,his character died as it stated in the 4th film.

Well he was Indy's dad after all so maybe his character has something to do with the plot. I don't really know, just a wild guess, but movie theories are not really meant for EB.

50 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

It appears we have new developments,as always take everything we a massive grain of salt.

Apparently Disney doesn't want the inclusion of soldiers in the sets even with the Nazi/Commie insignia removed,they are currently negotiating about their inclusion with Lego.As for the named villains it appears Disney has no problems with their inclusion.

Doesn't it seem unlikely that this kind of very specific details from confidential negotiations between Lego and Disney would leak this early?

16 minutes ago, Graupensuppe said:

Doesn't it seem unlikely that this kind of very specific details from confidential negotiations between Lego and Disney would leak this early?

Agree.  I think if anyone "in the know" about this sort of thing would probably get fired if they leaked it (since this would basically have to be an internal issue, whereas sets can leak from factories, toy shops with catalogs, and so on, where it may be a lot harder to figure out exactly who originated the leak).  

Also, if there really are sets in development for 2022, they'd probably be playing around with the design phase (from what I understand, they seem to have stuff in the works far in advance).  I know it's probably different when it comes to films/properties that haven't come out yet (say, for example, the upcoming Gideon's cruiser from SW, I highly doubt they would've had enough info on that to have it fully completed by last summer, whereas something like the Mandalorian Forge could've been almost fully designed since they already had a lot of info on the location and figures), but I'd think that discussions in regards to what characters can/can't be represented in toy form would be done long before they even begin messing around with set designs. 

Plus, it seems likely that any IJ wave would for sure include stuff from the first four movies, which they could start whenever they want.

I don't really believe the rumor, but IF that were true, that would bode terribly for most any set from Raiders beyond maybe the intro temple scene or something like the map room, and it would severely limit anything from TLC other than maybe a Grail Temple or Circus Train (which seems unlikely anyway).  Stuff like the motorcycle chase or truck chase wouldn't work without having people to put in the enemy vehicles. 

ToD wouldn't have any issues, but there's only really 3-4 viable sets from that movie in the first place, two of which are remakes (car chase, minecart chase, maybe a set with the bridge fight, and then the plane with rubber raft). 

KoTC has a similar issue, they could probably get away with the car chase near the start, since the Soviets are just dressed like generic baddies, maybe a set with two jeeps and the only baddie is Irina Spalko, a remake of the cemetery or skull temple would be doable, but most of the vehicle-based sets relied on random faceless bad guys too.

1 hour ago, Graupensuppe said:

Indeed,this information is questionable at best and not to mention that the user who posted this information has no credibility what's so ever.

Plus hasn’t Red Skull appeared in a few sets recently? And there was a Hydra Agent in an Infinity Saga set. 

I’d also love to see a new hat/hair combo piece for Indy. I wonder if they might even do a remastered game. 

I don’t think it’s legit plus we don’t even know for sure if Indy is coming back in 2022. The only evidence we ever got was from a lego q and a where the person who answered said “maybe if Indy goes on some more exciting adventures” it feels like we have another fake leaker on our hands 

1 hour ago, Falconfan1414 said:

it feels like we have another fake leaker on our hands 

The accounts on instagram that spread this information were brand new,so it was obvious that the info was fake.I just started this topic so we can have fun speculating.

Edited by LOTR34

On 5/25/2021 at 8:56 AM, LOTR34 said:

So there is a rumor flying about on Instagram that claims that new Indy sets are coming next year.As far I know,no credible leaker touched upon this subject,making me believe that those "rumors" are nothing but educated assumptions. 

Now of course,the expectation that Indy sets will release next year,isn't far fetched.Indiana Jones is a Disney property now and since Lego has a good relationship with the other company I'm expecting a possibile reboot for the theme. 

What are your thoughts on the subject?

I think it’s reasonably likely - after all, it would hardly be the first time they revived a domant licensed theme they’d previously touched in order to capitalize on new media releases in the franchise after the franchise itself had lain dormant a while. It’s previously happened with Toy Story (with the sets that accompanied Toy Story 3 in 2010 followed by those that came with Toy Story 4 in 2019) and Pirates of the Caribbean (with the D2C Silent Mary set in 2017 for that year’s fifth film in the franchise, six years after the original 2011 theme accompanying the fourth movie). Other franchises with licensed LEGO themes that went away for a while and then returned include the Wizarding World (Harry Potter / Fantastic Beasts), Jurassic Park / Jurassic World, Marvel (after the original Spider-Man sets from 2002-2004), DC (after the original Batman sets from 2006-2008), Winnie the Pooh, and Mickey Mouse & Friends.

Did you buy the original Indy sets back in 2008-09?

Did I ever! The ‘08-‘09 line consisted primarily of 16 boxed retail sets; I got a combined total of over 50 copies of them. 7623 Temple Escape is the only one of the sixteen that I have only one copy of, and I’d have been happy to get more if circumstances permitted; I got anywhere from two to ten copies of each of the other fifteen sets. I also picked up the Brickmaster polybag, 20004 Indy’s Jungle Cruiser (the announcement they’d do that set was the final impetus I needed to sign up for Brickmaster), and most of the “extended line” stuff - all six of the minifigure keychains, one of the two minifigure / brick magnet packs, even two LEGO Nintendo DS cases with buildable surfaces with tile mosaics (I do not have a Nintendo DS, so I got those purely for the LEGO elements and aspects). I lack only the other magnet set and the ultra-rare stuthe two convention exclusives that were limited to a few hundred copies apiece.

Are you excited with the possibility of new sets?

As you can probably surmise, yes.

On 5/25/2021 at 9:13 AM, 1974 said:

The film is in "development hell". Allthough sceduled for release next year, it has been postponed several times, so I very much doubt TLG have prelim info, no info = nothing to make sets from

And re-releasing those fancy Nazi sets would TOTALLY blow up in TLG's face in todays PC climate

Disney sucks donekyballs and a (soft) reboot a´la SW would not work at all

No HF = no IJ ... simple as that

I find those three IJ films enough for me. The TV-series is not too shabby if not taken too seriously

The movie was indeed in development hell for years, and I began to become doubtful myself. However, recent months have made it unequivocally clear the movie is finally going forward and on track for release next year. We know not only some of the producers but also the writers and director, and at least six cast members. Sets have been built. Shooting is starting this week. It’s happening.

LEGO likely wouldn’t rerelease sets anyway; they’ve shied away from that in recent years. They might do completely new sets based on scenes they’ve done before (just like they’ve had multiple versions of the Millennium Falcon, Hogwarts, the Batmobile, etc. over the years), but rereleasing the exact same Indy sets they first released in 2008-‘09 was surely never in the cards.

If by HF you mean Harrison Ford, he is indeed returning. He’s always been quite open about his interest in returning to the role; he’s always been keener to do Indy again than Han Solo or Rick Deckard.

On 5/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, Tariq j said:

I’d love the possibility of some new sets. The original line was great but we still never got:

• A Grail Temple set. 
  • Dunn and Duffy Circus Train 
  • Lao Che Air Freight plane

I wonder (assuming the line really is coming back) if we’ll get a D2C set. Though I don’t what of.

All great and obvious candidates for sets, and all things we never got in the original official line, though of course fan creations have filled in many gaps. There are a few other untreated moments from the films as well, such as the Hatay tank chase and the chase through Marshall College, and those might make fine commercial sets.

For me personally, what I’d most love would be anything from the TV series, but as it just doesn’t have the recognition of the films I don’t really expect it to receive anything in the way of official sets. But you never know; Lucasfilm would surely love to have mercy out for the show, after all...

The Grail Temple and the Dunn & Duffy Circus train have long struck me as some of the most viable candidates for D2C treatment. But this license might never get any, but anything’s possible...

On 5/25/2021 at 10:10 AM, LOTR34 said:

I've always dreamed about a dual molded hair and fedora piece and even if they don't do that atleast I hope they introduce a new fedora piece.

I love the existing fedora that was created for the theme, but a combined hat & hair one would be great to have. Alternately, if they wanted to keep using the existing one, I think it works well enough as is but would work even better if they printed hair on the back / sides of Indy’s head.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:57 AM, Kit Figsto said:

Indy is one of my favorite film series (it changes regularly between IJ, SW, and BttF :tongue:), so I'd be ecstatic about the prospect of new sets.  There's some stuff that definitely needs remakes and still a few scenes that need sets to begin with.  I don't think they could really do a D2C, just because there aren't that many large locations or vehicles that are iconic enough to warrant a D2C.  The only set I can think of would be the temple from the opening of Raiders or maybe the Grail Temple, both of which would be awesome as a D2C, but I think might almost be too large and would be better as a playset.  Stuff like the truck chase is definitely famous, but that strikes me as something that would be way better as a playset versus a D2C. 

I mean, they could do D2Cs of the Dunn & Duffy Circus train, Club Obi-Wan, the Temple of Doom, the Bantu Wind, Warehouse 51, the Grail temple, Akator, or all sorts of other things, but most of them are wildly unlikely.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:59 AM, Karalora said:

I know this is a longshot of a longshot, but...Temple of the Forbidden Eye please!

I’d be for it!

On 5/25/2021 at 12:02 PM, wesker said:

I'm definitely excited about the possibility of the theme making a comeback. The Grail Temple is an absolute must! I was disappointed we didn't get that one last time. A new Temple of Doom would also be great using roller coaster tracks instead of the old train ones. The South American temple from the opening of Raiders is also too iconic not to remake.

I do think the Chachapoyan Fertility Idol temple from Raiders is as iconic as it gets for this license, and probably the single strongest candidate for anything to be remade (at least among “location” sets, as opposed to vehicular chases). And the Grail temple is a major exclusion, one a new line would hopefully address.

In regards to the characters I'd like to see them take the opportunity to include a lot of the key players that were missing from the line's original run like Sallah, Toht and Donovan. I also like the suggestion of a dual molded hair/fedora piece for Indy. A CMF line to go alongside the sets would also be great.

I’ve long thought a CMF line would work well for this franchise. It would be an ideal way to include iconic characters omitted from the sets, particularly in various other outfits, as well as deeper dives into the canon that might be deemed too niche for full sets, like the TV show or the various books, games, comics, etc. I’d be so beyond delighted to have official LEGO minifigures of Helen Seymour, Remy Baudouin, and Sophia Hapgood.

On 5/25/2021 at 3:23 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

No Johnny Thunder’s return? Ah well...

As much as I obviously love Indiana Jones, I’d also be thrilled to see Johnny Thunder and co. return. The Adventurers line was a joy.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:39 AM, Jack Sassy said:

I certainly assume they’d offer more variety in face prints for Indy this time, including more obvious age differences. The last time, they used the exact same minifigure for every set in the entire first year, regardless of whether it was 1957 Indy or 1936 Indy. It actually worked for me, since I day does use pretty much the same exact outfit all the time in “field” mode, and the level of abstraction already inherent in the minifigure design allows for glossing over of differences like aging IMO, but with trends in minifigure design going the way they have the last several years, I expect them to get a lot more detailed, even if they don’t really need to.

On 5/25/2021 at 9:13 AM, 1974 said:

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I mean, they could do D2Cs of the Dunn & Duffy Circus train, Club Obi-Wan, the Temple of Doom, the Bantu Wind, Warehouse 51, the Grail temple, Akator, or all sorts of other things, but most of them are wildly unlikely.

I’ve long thought a CMF line would work well for this franchise. It would be an ideal way to include iconic characters omitted from the sets, particularly in various other outfits, as well as deeper dives into the canon that might be deemed too niche for full sets, like the TV show or the various books, games, comics, etc. I’d be so beyond delighted to have official LEGO minifigures of Helen Seymour, Remy Baudouin, and Sophia Hapgood.

I'd love to see some of those D2Cs too, but I feel most of them are just too niche.  The Grail Temple, Temple of Doom, or Temple from the Raiders intro could all work and have enough going on to be a D2C, while also being iconic enough, but stuff like Warehouse 51 or Club Obi-Wan just don't have enough features or screen time to justify a $200+ set.

And as far as a CMF, I'd love one too.  Characters like Monkey Man, Katanga, Brody, Walter Donovan, the British accent guy who is the prince's assistant in ToD (forgot his name), and so on might not appear in sets but would be really good to get in a CMF set, as well as alternate outfits of Indy, Marion, Elsa, Short Round, Henry Sr., Belloq, and so on.  Of course, we need Sallah too, but we also need him in a set!