Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

So just so you all know, Reddit leaker who predicted the gunship months in advance and pegged the IJ reveal date said that he’s sure that there’s another wave for next year. 

I ordered all three sets from the Lego website to get my points and free gifts. The two smaller sets are on back order until 12th/13th. I wish I had ordered them when they were in stock, but I was planning to wait for a discount, but I don't want to miss out on them and, with this shambolic release, I wouldn't put it past Lego to pull them.

I really hope we get more sets in the future but I'm not holding my breath so we'll just see what happens. 

1 hour ago, RODDY said:

So just so you all know, Reddit leaker who predicted the gunship months in advance and pegged the IJ reveal date said that he’s sure that there’s another wave for next year. 

CaptainSolo you mean? That‘s just his personal opinion then, because he has no intel on any 2024 sets :tongue:

1 hour ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

FWIW, my local LEGO store and local Target were completely sold out early Saturday for the release, in addition to being back-ordered online. So, people WANT these sets, that much is clear. Or... LEGO just sucks at stocking sets for releases lol.

Did your target ever have them to begin with? I still don't see them on the target webpage. 

1 hour ago, RODDY said:

"Don't do that... don't give me hope."

17 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

CaptainSolo you mean? That‘s just his personal opinion then, because he has no intel on any 2024 sets :tongue:

Did he ever say he didn't have any intel on that? It's not at all inconceivable that in April 2023 someone could have found out about the existence of another IJ wave. Say it's january, we've had specific sets leak with basic descriptions about as far in advance.

35 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Did your target ever have them to begin with? I still don't see them on the target webpage. 

I am also confused on this, because I know the Target listings existed at one point (that was where that whole fiasco where the price of the Lost Tomb got switched with the ToD and people were thinking it was going to be an $80 set), and there was a comment a few days ago of someone claiming to have talked to a Target employee who confirmed they had some in the back, but I couldn't find the listings at all.

The only major retail stores that I found online listings for were Kohl's and Barnes & Noble.  Not sure if Walmart was even going to get these to begin with (maybe not until June?) and I haven't found anything from Target.  If someone has the SKU, Brickseek might clear that up.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, I checked with a store employee the day before who showed they were in stock and set to be placed on shelves 4/1. I checked and the spaces they occupied in the LEGO shelves with the prices and set numbers were empty. I guess some stores aren't getting them out in time?

Guys, Amazon just unloaded all of their stock like an hour or two ago, but you have to scroll all the way down to find them. All 3 sets are available including the temple

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Indiana-Building-Project-Minifigures/dp/B0BLJ2DN16/ref=sr_1_1?crid=36AE6ZU5H6TUI&keywords=lego+indiana+jones+temple+of+the+golden+idol&qid=1680488322&sprefix=lego+indiana+jones+tmeple%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-1

Don't think the general majority of people know about it yet. order while you can

Edited by noodle16

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Did he ever say he didn't have any intel on that? It's not at all inconceivable that in April 2023 someone could have found out about the existence of another IJ wave. Say it's january, we've had specific sets leak with basic descriptions about as far in advance.

His source is his job, which is retail-related. Why would any retailer already know about 2024 sets? :tongue:

I don't think it's extremely surprising that the sets are partly sold out or that the delivery is delayed a bit.

Since the sets are exclusive to LEGO and SmythsToys, or a few individual retailers, where else should buyers order?
If it were D2C sets without prior exclusivity, it might look different.

Then everyone could buy from their local retailer

What I’m wondering right now is how TLG will react to customers asking for DoD sets :laugh_hard: I can see the PR nonsense already: “In order to celebrate the release of DoD, we released three sets based on the classic movies instead”.

Or maybe customers won’t even care in the first place. Indy isn’t exactly a merchandise juggernaut like Star Wars, Marvel, or Harry Potter, after all :shrug_oh_well:

April 1 happened to correspond with the LUG meeting in the same mall where the Lego Store was.  When we got downstairs from the meeting, there was already about 20-25 people in line.  Maybe the first 10 people got the UP houses and the Indiana Jones sets.  They had them on a rack that was shorter than I was with 3 shelves.  It was not even 6 feet long, so there could not have been much to begin with, and that was a limit of 1 per person.  My son was disappointed, but I told him to wait a couple of months.  

16 hours ago, RODDY said:

whats his @ username?

On 4/2/2023 at 8:50 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Show me another theme that had a gap like that without a new movie coming up to justify a return :tongue: This is a lethal dosis of hopium 

Wait, I though you "moved on"?

On 4/2/2023 at 7:50 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Show me another theme that had a gap like that without a new movie coming up to justify a return :tongue: This is a lethal dosis of hopium 

Eh, I still think Lord of the Rings counts.  No sets on Rings of Power, maybe new movies in the works, but random Brickheadz and 1 (with maybe more in the works) very expensive 18+ set.

I kind of prefer how Indy theme is working out even if it's just these 3.  Brickheadz are a niche market, and I would not want my only set option to be a $500 set(s).  

As for staying popularity of Indy, they're both attractions at both US Disney Parks; indeed some of the few non-animated IP to have its own experiences.  Disneyland just did a refresh of its Indy attraction, which re-opened a few weeks ago. 

3 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

I kind of prefer how Indy theme is working out even if it's just these 3.  Brickheadz are a niche market, and I would not want my only set option to be a $500 set(s). 

Plus, I don't know what they would do for a more expensive set than the $150 Temple of the Golden Idol. It is the most iconic scene in Indiana Jones, and executed beautifully at this price point. Nothing else comes close to its general appeal to be able to justify a significantly more expensive set.

I'm sure they could make a larger, more expensive set with Petra and the grail, but would it have the same status? Yes amongst fans, less so amongst a broader market.

If they do more, it feels like playsets are where they'd have to focus, and the movies lend themselves to that rather well. It's just a few decades too late most likely.

3 hours ago, RODDY said:

CaptainSolo80

He never said that. On the contrary, he said he won’t know about 2024 sets until Autumn, just like the rest of us :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, Jdrewg said:

Wait, I though you "moved on"?

I did. I’m not hoping for any additional sets anymore :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

11 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

He never said that. On the contrary, he said he won’t know about 2024 sets until Autumn, just like the rest of us :tongue:

He literally said “I’m sure the theme will continue into next year” Like I know we all want to be all gloom and doom in this thread but I’m an optimist, I’ll keep the faith until it’s officially confirmed that the theme is done. It still seems odd to me that Lego would just bring back the theme for one wave, I’m guessing they probably have a three year plan like that they did for HP. 

Edited by RODDY

1 hour ago, RODDY said:

He literally said “I’m sure the theme will continue into next year” Like I know we all want to be all gloom and doom in this thread but I’m an optimist, I’ll keep the faith until it’s officially confirmed that the theme is done. It still seems odd to me that Lego would just bring back the theme for one wave, I’m guessing they probably have a three year plan like that they did for HP. 

Three years would be great. I'll also keep my hopes up until there's definitive proof the theme is gone after one year back.

Edited by mirkwoodspiders

1 hour ago, RODDY said:

[…] I’m guessing they probably have a three year plan like that they did for HP. 

…a three year plan, and they start with 3 sets and skip the new movie? What kind of plan is that supposed to be? :tongue:

I mean, there’s something certainly off about this theme right? Not the quality of the sets themselves, which we can agree are all fantastic in their own right (the largest especially being an easy contender for one of the best sets made in recent history), but more so everything around them.

The way these sets were revealed / announced, the absurdly decent pricing in most countries that doesn’t typically follow the pattern of overpriced licensed sets, the lack of sets for the film actually releasing this year, ToD being cancelled, the poor communication with LAN members, I could go on and on.

I could ascribe to the idea that Lego really just did want to push these sets out and call it a day. Perhaps a larger launch was planned at some point to include Dial of Destiny, but things clearly fell through and the lack of succinct information up to date indicates they’re not very confident to share the full story.

It’s just odd that the relationship between Lego and Lucasfilm has been so strong for about 24 years now, but they still handled a Lucasfilm property like this. What’s sadder is that given recent developments with Disney, this really will be the last window for Lego producing Indiana Jones sets - and if DoD turns out to be a great film, it’ll make the absence of a tie-in wave even more pronounced. Ah well, I’m glad Star Wars is killing it this year at least.

Also, is everyone receiving two copies of the new hat/hair mould with their sets? I’m wondering if that’s across the board or not.

Edited by Kaijumeister

19 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

…a three year plan, and they start with 3 sets and skip the new movie? What kind of plan is that supposed to be? :tongue:

I mean sets for beloved IPs sequels or prequels seemed to have flopped in the past. Fantastic Beasts, Star Wars Sequels, casual audience doesn’t really care for them and they don’t sell well. And Star Wars and HP are way bigger IPs than Indiana Jones. So I kinda get just focus on the iconic scenes. Especially in a franchise where the latest Indiana Jones wasn’t well received at all (I do like KoTC though) and Harrison is now 80 years old. I know I wasn’t buying an DoD sets until after seeing the movie and seeing if it’s worth it. 

45 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Three years would be great. I'll also keep my hopes up until there's definitive proof the theme is gone after one year back.

Yeah three year would be perfect, get what we need and while like I said I’m an optimist, I know Indiana Jones isn’t evergreen. 

I’m confident that there will be more in the future. I think people are underestimating how big of a push Indy is going to get from Disney. If the new movie does well (and I’m sure it will) then we can expect spinoffs to keep the franchise relevant, and that means more merchandise. There’s already a Disney+ show in development. With the sets selling well so far I see no reason for LEGO not to continue. 

The absence of DoD sets could simply just be to avoid spoilers and we could very well see a wave in 2024, with the sets we have now filling that void for the time being. This is the grand finale for Indiana Jones and they’ve been pretty tight lipped regarding the plot. There’s been no major plot leaks at all.

I remain hopeful is all, but I definitely don’t think this is all we’re getting. We don’t know what the plans for 2024 are yet, so all we can do is be patient. 

2 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

Also, is everyone receiving two copies of the new hat/hair mould with their sets? I’m wondering if that’s across the board or not.

I received one hat in the Plane Chase and Lost Tomb sets but two hats in the Golden Idol set. Such a great piece. If only Henry, Sr., had gotten a new hat. HaHa

6 hours ago, EdWebhead said:

There’s already a Disney+ show in development.

Disney reportedly told Lucasfilm to focus purely on Star Wars from now on, so yeah…

6 hours ago, EdWebhead said:

The absence of DoD sets could simply just be to avoid spoilers and we could very well see a wave in 2024, with the sets we have now filling that void for the time being.

More sets in 2024 is unlikely in general. DoD sets in 2024 is next to impossible. No kid is going to care about DoD sets so long after the movie leaves theatres. Also, TLG is not on the list of licensees, which would certainly cover future tie-in products too.

You can hope for more classic sets next year all you want, but there is no way for DoD sets to get made. Even if they were THIS worried about spoilers, they would have found a way. Hasbro will still release stuff. And even No Way Home got tie-in sets, loosely inspired as they were :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants