Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

April

-77012:Fighter Plane Chase -$34,99* -387 Pieces -Indiana Jones,Herny Jones sr and a pilot.

-77013:Escape from the Lost Tomb -$39,99* -600 Pieces -Indiana Jones,Marion Ravenwood,Sallah and a mummy.

-77014:The Temple of Doom -$79,99* -801 Pieces -Indiana Jones,Willie Scott,Short Round,Mola Ram,the Maharaja and a guard.

-77015:Temple Escape (18+ Diorama) -$149,99* -1545 Pieces -Indiana Jones,Satipo,Belloq and a Hovito.

Summer

*Prices are subject to change.

Edited by Pulp Detective
New Information

The film is in "development hell". Allthough sceduled for release next year, it has been postponed several times, so I very much doubt TLG have prelim info, no info = nothing to make sets from

And re-releasing those fancy Nazi sets would TOTALLY blow up in TLG's face in todays PC climate

Disney sucks donekyballs and a (soft) reboot a´la SW would not work at all

No HF = no IJ ... simple as that

I find those three IJ films enough for me. The TV-series is not too shabby if not taken too seriously

4 minutes ago, 1974 said:

The film is in "development hell". Allthough sceduled for release next year, it has been postponed several times, so I very much doubt TLG have prelim info, no info = nothing to make sets from

And re-releasing those fancy Nazi sets would TOTALLY blow up in TLG's face in todays PC climate

Disney sucks donekyballs and a (soft) reboot a´la SW would not work at all

No HF = no IJ ... simple as that

I find those three IJ films enough for me. The TV-series is not too shabby if not taken too seriously

I couldn't care less about the upcoming film but recently there has been alot of casting news and the film is supposedly scheduled to start filming by the end of this summer. 

Regarding the Nazi issue, there were no Nazi or Communist insignia in the previous sets, which resulted making the soldiers look generic and inoffensive.So I'm expecting Lego to do the same thing this time around.But you're right, with today's climate you never know. 

I’d love the possibility of some new sets. The original line was great but we still never got:

• A Grail Temple set. 
  • Dunn and Duffy Circus Train 
  • Lao Che Air Freight plane

I wonder (assuming the line really is coming back) if we’ll get a D2C set. Though I don’t what of.

2 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

I wonder (assuming the line really is coming back) if we’ll get a D2C set. Though I don’t what of.

As long as we get regular sets I'm fine with a D2C set. What would bother me is if we get only a D2C set.That was the case with Pirates of the Caribbean 5,I was expecting regular sets but we only got a D2C set which was disappointing. 

Indy returning seems like a no-brainer to me. The 2008-9 range sold decently IIRC and TLG has expressed interest in re-exploring the theme a couple of years back.

Indy 5 may have been stuck in development hell for a while now, but so was KotCS and as @LOTR34 points out, there have been lots of casting announcements lately, meaning the film is ready to enter into production soon :classic:

I hope they‘ll also release sets based on the first four films, just like they did last time. Just imagine how the minifigs could look with all the techniques they‘ve introduced in the meantime :wub:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

14 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I hope they‘ll also release sets based on the first four films, just like they did last time. Just imagine how the minifigs could look with all the techniques they‘ve introduced in the meantime :wub:

I've always dreamed about a dual molded hair and fedora piece and even if they don't do that atleast I hope they introduce a new fedora piece.

27 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Indy 5 may have been stuck in development hell for a while now, but so was KotCS and as @LOTR34 points out, there have been lots of casting announcements lately, meaning the film is ready to enter into production soon :classic:

Disney LOVES announcing loads of stuff that's not going to happen, like the various SW spin-off movies (D&D + RJ trilogy - none of those are ever going to happen)

Mangold is a solid director (loved Le Mans 66), but I want to see a trailer before I believe it'll hit the cinemas next year

Casting announcements means very little ...

1 minute ago, 1974 said:

Casting announcements means very little ...

Yes, a lot of projects have been shelved, but long before any cast members were announced and in most cases, they dodged major bullets by doing so (Josh Trank‘s Boba Fett film and whatever nonsense D&D cooked up in particular).

Please correct me if I‘m wrong, but as far as I‘m aware, every single Disney/Lucasfilm project that went past the casting stage actually made it :classic: 

I think in general Disney or not when the casting stage starts the film is good to go.

As I said previously I don't care about the film,I just want it to release so the sets can get released as well.

Just now, LOTR34 said:

I think in general Disney or not when the casting stage starts the film is good to go.

Exactly. There aren‘t that many films that got back into development hell AFTER cast members had already been announced (Nic Cage as Superman being one of the very few prominent examples). The film is happening, no need for doomsaying :tongue:

Indy is one of my favorite film series (it changes regularly between IJ, SW, and BttF :tongue:), so I'd be ecstatic about the prospect of new sets.  There's some stuff that definitely needs remakes and still a few scenes that need sets to begin with.  I don't think they could really do a D2C, just because there aren't that many large locations or vehicles that are iconic enough to warrant a D2C.  The only set I can think of would be the temple from the opening of Raiders or maybe the Grail Temple, both of which would be awesome as a D2C, but I think might almost be too large and would be better as a playset.  Stuff like the truck chase is definitely famous, but that strikes me as something that would be way better as a playset versus a D2C. 

I also don't see there being an issue with releasing certain figures - they're not doing specific imagery or emblems that would cause problems.  Anyone that knows who those figures are supposed to represent has almost assuredly seen the movies, and more than likely wouldn't have an issue with it, knowing that the movie clearly portrays them as the bad guys.  To someone that isn't as well-versed in the films or has never seen them, they wouldn't raise an issue because they likely would just see the figures as generic soldiers or whatever.  

I'm definitely excited about the possibility of the theme making a comeback. The Grail Temple is an absolute must! I was disappointed we didn't get that one last time. A new Temple of Doom would also be great using roller coaster tracks instead of the old train ones. The South American temple from the opening of Raiders is also too iconic not to remake.

In regards to the characters I'd like to see them take the opportunity to include a lot of the key players that were missing from the line's original run like Sallah, Toht and Donovan. I also like the suggestion of a dual molded hair/fedora piece for Indy. A CMF line to go alongside the sets would also be great.

I'd love to see Indy return. I was unfortunate enough to be working on a very limited Lego budget during the last range, so I never got many sets. I do have hope that they're able to fill the gaps but also revisit their key moments. The Venice Canal Chase, which I had, is a great little set and shows Lego taking care to match the film costumes (like they have done on a greater scale with Harry Potter) but Elsa's face print is APPALLING and imo doesn't look anything like her.

Since Lucasfilm is owned by Disney, chances of the theme returning are pretty much as high as the movie franchise itself. As I've expressed my concern before here I will do the same - it's possible that Lego might decide to make one big set and a Brickhead, kind of what they did with POTC back in 2017. 

Now, I love Indy, though I never got any of the sets, everything from the franchise has been my personal favourite. I do hope that they'll make a proper comeback for the theme (like they did with HP, though Indiana Jones doesn't have eight movies with so many scenes) but looking at it critically, we can't expect anything real until the fifth film's announcement. Though I'm all in for a discussion thread for the theme. :classic:

24 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I'd love to see Indy return. I was unfortunate enough to be working on a very limited Lego budget during the last range, so I never got many sets. I do have hope that they're able to fill the gaps but also revisit their key moments. The Venice Canal Chase, which I had, is a great little set and shows Lego taking care to match the film costumes (like they have done on a greater scale with Harry Potter) but Elsa's face print is APPALLING and imo doesn't look anything like her.

None of the female characters had good face prints. All four of them are in desperate need of a redesign. Same could be said for Short Round and Belloq as well.

I love historical adventure themes, but Lego hasn't really released anything like that since Indiana Jones, Prince of Persia, Pirates of the Caribbean, and The Lone Ranger ended. A return of Indiana Jones would be most welcome.

Edited by Graupensuppe

No Johnny Thunder’s return? Ah well...

However, I cannot wait to see what kind of sets Lego would give us next year or so.  I am glad it would make a comeback after I only got ONE set from the last range, that’s it. I am dreaming of some new parts for minifigures like hair+Vendors piece for Indy, dual-molded legs and arms, cool and useful parts, etc.

33 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

No Johnny Thunder’s return? Ah well...

Hope can never be lost.

If I had to choose which theme to bring back:Adventurers or Indiana Jones,I'd chose the former.The adventurers sets are more creative because Lego isn't tied down by a license and not to mention,nostalgia aside,the original Indy sets aren't that great.Of course there are few exceptions like 7623.

5 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

nostalgia aside,the original Adventurers sets aren't that great.

There, FTFY :tongue: 

I loved the Adventurers theme back in the day, but it hasn‘t aged all that well, like a lot of sets from that era. And calling it ‚original‘ is pretty funny considering what inspired it :laugh:

4 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

There, FTFY :tongue: 

I loved the Adventurers theme back in the day, but it hasn‘t aged all that well, like a lot of sets from that era. And calling it ‚original‘ is pretty funny considering what inspired it :laugh:

Well at the end of the day it's a matter of preference,while I do agree that they haven't aged well I find them more colorful compeared to the Indy sets,which have alot of dull colors.

When I said original I meant the 2008-09 Indy sets.

4 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Well at the end of the day it's a matter of preference

Good point :classic:

5 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

When I said original I meant the 2008-09 Indy sets.

Sorry, I missquoted you. I meant your statement about it being more ‚creative‘ :wink: