Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Some rando in a comments section of a YT video, I think. The most reliable of sources! Top men indeed :laugh_hard:

i've seen people who work at target say that too... maybe i'm grasping at straws

To me it seems very odd for LEGO to resurrect a long dead theme just to add a diorama and a couple smallish play sets. It really just makes no sense, there has to be more coming.

On 3/19/2023 at 6:03 PM, Jenga Fett1 said:

The Indiana Jones sets are already 20% off despite not being released yet in some places.

Really? Where are you seeing this?

No Indy listings at Target here in the US

22 hours ago, Jenga Fett1 said:

It was mentioned on Promobricks.

What was?

22 hours ago, Jenga Fett1 said:

It was mentioned on Promobricks.

Me when I quote myself as a source

Where are these “phantom” sales for new sets? Not in the US probably. Wouldn’t mind 20% off the IJ idol set to be sure. Anyone with the inside scoop, please pass it along. Many thanks. 

Yes, this is a retailer in Germany, for me in Austria that would be interesting because there would be no customs if I order in Germany, but this retailer only delivers from June, not from April like SmythsToys.

At this retailer you could order the sets with a 20% discount and get an additional 6% discount ON-TOP with the PROMOBRICKS code.
That would be a great price, but I can't wait to build the sets and will be buying from SmythsToys as early as April.

SmythsToys usually reduces the sets two to weeks after the market launch, sometimes even right at the market launch, but that is more rare.

However, since the Indiana Jones sets will be offered exclusively at LEGO and SmythsToys from April, it could take a while before the sets are also offered at a discount at SmythsToys. Except if the SmythsToys purchasing and sales team doesn't think about it cleverly.

Since I would like to have the entire series several times anyway, I will buy a few at the market launch, regardless of whether they are discounted or not, and then from SmythsToys as soon as they are discounted and maybe also in this German shop in June, if this offer is available then still.

However, from June it can be expected that SmythsToys will adjust the prices to the rest of the market and that there will be little or no price difference in the end, or that the sets at SmythsToys will already be at the same price level by then.

The pre-sales exist, just they can't be named and no links can be provided.  But they're real, really. 

51 minutes ago, Jdrewg said:

The pre-sales exist, just they can't be named and no links can be provided.  But they're real, really. 

I just did, in my previous post. Lucky Bricks has a pre-order offer with 20% off.

Another shop named Brickmo also sells them with a 19% discount:

https://www.stonewars.de/angebote/lego-indiana-jones-vorbestellungen/

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

LEGO has a new policy for retailers which has them wait 2 months after release to get some themes (the ones mentioned in the Promobricks article for example this release wave). Most retailers in Europe give pre-order discount to make sure people buy at their shop instead of LEGO or the 1 other retailer that gets exclusive early sales privileges. 

I get why they're doing this, but on the long term it will probably be a bad thing. LEGO also doesn't allow retailers to get the specials (which is a issue that has been going on longer), but that is just 1 high prices set that people probably buy at LEGO anyway for the free GWP or VIP points. But keeping whole waves of releases from desirable themes for themselves in the first 2 months is just greedy. You either buy it for the full price or you'll have to wait 2 months. 

Honestly I have been thinking for weeks about the 77014 set... and I have literally thought about every possibility as to what happened to the set and honestly, the most logical thing I can possibly think of is that there is something wrong with it, and it needs to be fixed before production.

Think about it, it wouldn't make sense if it was controversial because they already had the green light to make the temple of doom by lucasfilm. And the fact that they even began designing it, says that they knew it was acceptable. Plus they had already made the set in 2009, this was simply a remake...

They had designers spend months creating the temple of doom, creating new art and molds for the minifigures like mola ram and the maharaja. There is a huge process that goes into designing sets. And there are brand new colors of already existing pieces specifically for this set, such as the tall maroon tentacle like pillars on the sides. 

The figures were done, the design was done, the box art was done, literally every single thing that needed to be done for the set to be produced was done. Therefore, there literally had to have been a flawed issue with the set that just wasn't seen Or maybe they wanted to change some of the box art. I just can't wrap my head around it, how could they come that far then just decide to cancel a huge investment like that, with new molds, minifig prints, and everything else.They literally have to be re-designing it or something.

I know that I am biased and desperately want the set to release, and everyone is saying it's cancelled. It probably is, i just really want to hold out hope

Edited by HuntFX

On 3/21/2023 at 12:24 PM, HuntFX said:

i've seen people who work at target say that too... maybe i'm grasping at straws

Target does not have the set street-dated for August 1st, no. It is street dated for April 1st there, which likely means it was added into the system according to older info when ToD was slated to release.

1 hour ago, HuntFX said:

I know that I am biased and desperately want the set to release, and everyone is saying it's cancelled. It probably is, i just really want to hold out hope

It‘s been cancelled. It’s easier said than done, but we should just forget that this set ever existed and move on.

3 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

It‘s been cancelled. It’s easier said than done, but we should just forget that this set ever existed and move on.

pretty hard to do that when we have a literal image of what we could have gotten. It's going to forever change my view of the company :/

Edited by HuntFX

11 minutes ago, HuntFX said:

It's going to forever change my view of the company :/

Same. I will not forgive them for how badly they butchered this „revival“ with the cancellation of 77014, ignoring of 3/5 movies, and lack of new parts besides the hat/hair combo piece. Giving Sr the same shitty pith helmet as 15 years ago is just inexcusable.

Comparing it with the effort they put into random throw-away licenses like Trolls, Minions (and presumably the upcoming Gabby‘s Dollhouse) makes this even more embarrassing.

That said, I‘ll just move on. They effed it up, it sucks, but there‘s nothing we can do about it. Once I‘ve built the sets, I‘ll give my attention to other themes again.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Same. I will not forgive them for how badly they butchered this „revival“ with the cancellation of 77014, ignoring of 3/5 movies, and lack of new parts besides the hat/hair combo piece. Giving Sr the same shitty pith helmet as 15 years ago is just inexcusable.

Comparing it with the effort they put into random throw-away licenses like Trolls, Minions (and presumably the upcoming Gabby‘s Dollhouse) makes this even more embarrassing.

That said, I‘ll just move on. They effed it up, it sucks, but there‘s nothing we can do about it. Once I‘ve built the sets, I‘ll give my attention to other themes again.

Exactly this. Lego screwed up. Then screwed up some more. Totally changed my opinion of the company and petty as itay seem Lego will not get another cent from me. 

Also, there is a rumour floating around that Disney wants Lucasfilm to solely focus on Star Wars from now on, hence the cancellation of Willow. If that‘s true, then we‘ve definitely missed our last chance for more Indy sets :sad: Granted, I‘d rather DoD be the last film than having a pointless reboot, but still. Shame.

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Also, there is a rumour floating around that Disney wants Lucasfilm to solely focus on Star Wars from now on, hence the cancellation of Willow. If that‘s true, then we‘ve definitely missed our last chance for more Indy sets :sad: Granted, I‘d rather DoD be the last film than having a pointless reboot, but still. Shame.

Didn’t the showrunner of Willow say that it wasn’t cancelled, they just released the actor’s contracts since they wouldn’t be filming it for while? Maybe there’s still hope. 

9 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

So are the DOD sets still coming or are they also cancelled? 

Either cancelled or never even planned to begin with. After all, the set numbers 77016-19 were just guesses. Probably the result of a game of telephone

5 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Either cancelled or never even planned to begin with. After all, the set numbers 77016-19 were just guesses. Probably the result of a game of telephone

I personally cannot see them only coming out with 3 sets for this big of a revival with the contract/license/investment that comes from disney.

7 minutes ago, HuntFX said:

I personally cannot see them only coming out with 3 sets for this big of a revival with the contract/license/investment that comes from disney.

Exactly, I find it very hard to believe that they would bring back this theme without the intention of promoting the new film. Not having any DoD sets would just be ridiculous with all the hype of it being the last Indiana Jones film ever. Avatar 2 sets came out after the film's premiere, so I guess it's possible we might see DoD sets come out later in the year after the film is out if it follows the same pattern (first wave of sets based on the first film, then a second wave based on the new film).

3 minutes ago, EdWebhead said:

Exactly, I find it very hard to believe that they would bring back this theme without the intention of promoting the new film. Not having any DoD sets would just be ridiculous with all the hype of it being the last Indiana Jones film ever. Avatar 2 sets came out after the film's premiere, so I guess it's possible we might see DoD sets come out later in the year after the film is out if it follows the same pattern (first wave of sets based on the first film, then a second wave based on the new film).

yeah that's where I am at. AND minisuperheroestoday (a LAN member) told me that that's what he thinks too... that DOD sets are "almost guaranteed". If not, why would they revive the theme in the first place?! He still doesn't know for sure tho