Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Doesn't sound courious that the only product related to Temple of Doom that Hasbro has released (so far) is just a figure of Indy in his elegant suit?

40 minutes ago, Mr New Vegas said:

Doesn't sound courious that the only product related to Temple of Doom that Hasbro has released (so far) is just a figure of Indy in his elegant suit?

Good point. Although there is a ‘Hypnotised Indiana Jones’ figure variant in the pipeline for the future apparently. I mean it’s not as controversial as, say, a Mola Ram with human heart, but it’s still a pretty hardcore figure to make. 

Overall, Hasbro are certainly playing it less safe than Lego are with the Adventure Series figures. We’re getting Belloq in his ceremonial robes, Major Toht, etc.

Also not sure if any of you watch the ‘A Couple of Brickheads’ podcasts on YouTube, but in this week’s segment one of the hosts mentioned they’re in contact with people working at Lego, and the possibility of a faulty part / design floated up again for the ToD. 

Edited by Kaijumeister

1 hour ago, Kaijumeister said:

Also not sure if any of you watch the ‘A Couple of Brickheads’ podcasts on YouTube, but in this week’s segment one of the hosts mentioned they’re in contact with people working at Lego, and the possibility of a faulty part / design floated up again for the ToD. 

Now that's interesting, and gives a bit of hope. Has anyone actually found the assumable design flaw? It's not necessarily like it'd be visible from the box, but I don't see anything there.

2 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

[...] the possibility of a faulty part / design floated up again for the ToD. 

Several people have brought that up now, but I'm not convinced that's all there is to this. If it was just a simple design flaw, they should've been able to fix it and release the set with a slight delay. For instance, the 2022 Marvel mechs got only delayed by three months. And the 2015 Ant-man set had an even shorter delay, I think.

LAN representatives have made clear that the set is cancelled, not delayed. The only wiggle room is for the set to be redesigned with a new set number, which is highly unlikely in my eyes :shrug_oh_well:

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Several people have brought that up now, but I'm not convinced that's all there is to this. If it was just a simple design flaw, they should've been able to fix it and release the set with a slight delay. For instance, the 2022 Marvel mechs got only delayed by three months. And the 2015 Ant-man set had an even shorter delay, I think.

LAN representatives have made clear that the set is cancelled, not delayed. The only wiggle room is for the set to be redesigned with a new set number, which is highly unlikely in my eyes :shrug_oh_well:

Fair enough. Releasing any sort of Indy merchandise in today’s climate was never going to be a straightforward affair, so I guess I’m just happy we at least got a few solid sets out of the theme. Even with Hasbro, what they’re putting out this year is pitiful compared to how huge their 2008 lineup was.

I shall now go back to placing my hopes on Star Wars delivering some winners this summer!

@Mandalorianknight Yeah I’m not sure either, if I had to guess maybe it’s the overall structure of the set? You have the main temple altar at the front with the mine cart track assembly running behind it. The latter seems to be balanced on a structure atop a single 2x(something) plate, which could be quite fragile to apply weight on maybe? Not that any of it matters at this point anyway.

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Who said this? They specifically said that the set is cancelled?

They didn't have any more information than anyone else did. I'm not saying that people are dead wrong when saying the set is cancelled, but I'm sure there's still a high possibility that it's just delayed. Didn't hachiroku himself contradict the claim that LAN members know more than anyone else? It's just as ambiguous to them as it is to us.

6 minutes ago, Jenga Fett1 said:

The Indiana Jones sets are already 20% off despite not being released yet in some places.

This happened to a lot of sets. I don't think it's got anything to do with Indy specifically, unless we think The Mandalorian sets are in a similar place.

40 minutes ago, noodle16 said:

They didn't have any more information than anyone else did. I'm not saying that people are dead wrong when saying the set is cancelled, but I'm sure there's still a high possibility that it's just delayed. Didn't hachiroku himself contradict the claim that LAN members know more than anyone else? It's just as ambiguous to them as it is to us.

I think some of them have. IIRC Ashnflash also seemed to believe there was still a chance it was just delayed, but the whole thing is such a confusing quagmire, so who knows.

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

This happened to a lot of sets.

Agreed, this seems to be standard procedure. Almost all sets are significantly cheaper from third party sellers than what TLG charges on their website.

14 hours ago, Jenga Fett1 said:

The Indiana Jones sets are already 20% off despite not being released yet in some places.

That happens with literally every set that's not official LEGO retailers-exclusive.

If you can buy a set in various toy retailers, it will be 20% off somewhere the day it releases. 

On 3/19/2023 at 12:03 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

LAN members were sent the same statement we were

Only time will tell I guess if the Temple of Doom gets released or not. I just hope at the very least this isn't it for the theme, would be a shame for it not to get at least a couple waves. Seeing Jurassic Park get a full wave this year with no new movie gives me hope that if these sell well, we'll get more. There's so much potential here.

35 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

LAN members were sent the same statement we were

Jay said this in the comment section below his article: 

„This came directly from LEGO. As you can imagine, this entire thing has been a nightmare behind the scenes.

From LEGO’s perspective, it’s a little awkward to have to acknowledge a set that was never really confirmed or announced, hence the ambiguous corporate statements.

I’m just here to provide a definitive update that this set isn’t launching.

It’s a funny situation that we’re all in because of that one leak. If that hadn’t happened, this would be a complete nothing burger.“

7 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Jay said this in the comment section below his article: 

„This came directly from LEGO. As you can imagine, this entire thing has been a nightmare behind the scenes.

From LEGO’s perspective, it’s a little awkward to have to acknowledge a set that was never really confirmed or announced, hence the ambiguous corporate statements.

I’m just here to provide a definitive update that this set isn’t launching.

It’s a funny situation that we’re all in because of that one leak. If that hadn’t happened, this would be a complete nothing burger.“

There’s no quote from Lego, one person saying they’ve been told is cancelled….eh, I think it needs more than that

29 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

There’s no quote from Lego, one person saying they’ve been told is cancelled….eh, I think it needs more than that

That‘s all we‘re gonna get, I‘m afraid. I highly doubt that TLG would ever issue another public statement addressing this set again as the first one was already pretty embarrassing for them.

Time to move on :shrug_oh_well:

The mere fact that the consecutive number 77014 would have been missing, even if nothing had ever been leaked, would have led to speculation.

If there had only been set numbers from 77012 - 77014 right from the start and if 77014 had been the diorama, we would probably all have been disappointed as well, why nothing is coming for the second film or why only so few sets are released and what a cheek that is and why LEGO doesn't rate the topic better etc etc. but we could never have complained about ToD and would have thought of the usual vague reasons and finally ticked the topic off.

Only then LEGO would never have had to explain anything.

In fact, LEGO hasn't explained anything properly, and it won't do it either.

ToD seems to be over, no matter how many times we pick up a glimmer of hope and start the topic over.

You could have MOC'ed the temple itself, it's really a pity about the figures, I already liked the selection in the 2008 ToD and that's what I was looking forward to the most.

If nothing actually comes to DoD and no more waves either, we will have to stock up on the remaining sets for better or worse and say goodbye to Indiana Jones at LEGO for a long time or forever.

At this time, nothing concrete is known that the Indiana Jones franchise could have any significant extended future at Disney, in any form.
And even if it does, the question is whether this would then be significant enough for a cooperation with LEGO.

I think about it every day, in the evening when I'm lying in bed, that I'd love to meet the LEGO manager and kick his a**, it makes me really angry at how ignorant one can be, but in the end I realize that it is is a clear decision that will have its reasons, even if this is not usually clear to us, which is again due to LEGO that they never explain such things in a comprehensible way.

At the end of the day, we can only take what has come up so far, or what may yet come.

56 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

At the end of the day, we can only take what has come up so far, or what may yet come.

Exactly. I‘ll buy the three sets on April 1st, build them, happily put them on display, and never think about additional Indy sets ever again :tongue: I‘ll just treat it like any other one-and-done licensed theme.

It’s a real shame given all the potential, but I‘m grateful for what little we‘re getting.

I’ve seen multiple rumors floating around from different places that the ToD set has been found on target street dated for august 1…. Is this true?? Where is a source for this? 

For me, not getting DoD sets is far, far more egregious than the ToD being cancelled. Lego handled Avatar absolutely fine, so why not Indy? I know I say this enough to sound like a broken record but DoD is going to be a great film, imagine screwing up badly enough not to cash in on the hype.

4 hours ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

I think about it every day, in the evening when I'm lying in bed, that I'd love to meet the LEGO manager and kick his a**, it makes me really angry at how ignorant one can be, but in the end I realize that it is is a clear decision that will have its reasons, even if this is not usually clear to us, which is again due to LEGO that they never explain such things in a comprehensible way.

This made me laugh, not in a mean way but because I honestly understand and share this disappointment a great deal. I would love to know who made the final call. Was it the Lego brand manager for Indy? Was it someone even higher up?

I really wish Lego could just release a concrete statement to say this is all there is for Indiana Jones, and that the theme has no further sets planned. Surely they had to pay good money to obtain this license again as it is?

Edited by Kaijumeister

12 minutes ago, HuntFX said:

I’ve seen multiple rumors floating around from different places that the ToD set has been found on target street dated for august 1…. Is this true?? Where is a source for this? 

Some rando in a comments section of a YT video, I think. The most reliable of sources! Top men indeed :laugh_hard: