Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I don't know about that, because otherwise why would they even make the April wave? I don't see the point.

Well, that‘s why I‘m saying it‘s still stupid, just less stupid than cancelling them :shrug_oh_well:

Maybe the classic sets outsold the KotCS sets in 2008/09 by such a margin they decided it was worth redesigning three of them for a quick buck, but sets based on DoD were deemed too risky?

But yeah, random untested unknown licenses like Gabby‘s Dollhouse, those are completely risk-free :snicker:

(I know I know, it‘s not a fair comparison. I just wanna throw some shade at them)

All we can hope for is that at least some sort of justification is given for why this theme was handled the way it did. Like @THELEGOBATMAN rightfully points out, imagine if this sort of approach was taken with Avatar? There’d have been backlash for that too.

But that said, Lego has no obligation to ever reveal why things panned out the way they did. 

I’m in the camp that Dial of Destiny will be an awesome film that will perform well at the box office, and I suspect the decision-makers at Lego will regret not having any product to tie in to it.

One thing I’m also quite curious about is the pricing for the April wave. Not that I’m complaining of course, but those three sets represent some fantastic value for money (especially as licensed sets based on a Lucasfilm property). Why do you all think that is? I know Indy doesn’t have the same pull as Star Wars, but given how flat-out greedy Lego has been with their pricing models as of late, this is a refreshing change.

Edited by Kaijumeister

2 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

But that said, Lego has no obligation to ever reveal why things panned out the way they did. 

Which sucks. With the cancellation of 77014, we at least got a hollow explanation (that didn‘t actually explain anything, but that‘s beside the point).

Here, they don‘t owe us any such explanation. There just aren‘t any sets, simple as that. Same thing happened with FB:SoD, except nobody cared enough to make a fuss about it :laugh_hard:

Sucks how this has been handled, but we need to move on. Let’s enjoy the April sets and then let it rest in peace. Or pieces, whatever

You guys are going to feel so embarrased when they reveal that 2024 will consist exclusively of Indiana Jones sets

Wait? Are we that certain that the DoD sets aren’t coming? I thought it was just a rumour.

1 minute ago, Legopls said:

Wait? Are we that certain that the DoD sets aren’t coming? I thought it was just a rumour.

Pretty much 99.999%. No listings, no set numbers, and TLG isn‘t on the list of license partners. Given all that, it doesn‘t make sense to expect any sets :sad:

6 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

You guys are going to feel so embarrased when they reveal that 2024 will consist exclusively of Indiana Jones sets

If we don’t get a buildable satchel at $500, what’s even the point of bringing the theme back?

1 minute ago, Kaijumeister said:

If we don’t get a buildable satchel at $500, what’s even the point of bringing the theme back?

Don‘t give them any ideas :tongue: We probably should consider ourselves lucky that 77015 is a diorama rather than a buildable whip or golden idol. At least they didn‘t mess up the three sets we‘re getting (for the most part)

9 minutes ago, Vitruvius said:

Just for the stickers in the diorama name I won't be buying it. It's just absurd LEGO. WTF

Doesn‘t that go a bit far? Sure, it sucks the quotes aren‘t printed, but the 2x3 and 2x2 tiles at least are :laugh: The set is still worth the price I think

Why do people hate stickers so much?

It's really not that big of a deal (except for some curved or transparent ones).

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

Because stickers suck. And once I got used to no stickers (building lot of Cobi military stuff) it's just such a annoying thing when going back to LEGO to deal with those.

59 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

It's really not that big of a deal (except for some curved or transparent ones).

I actually kinda enjoy stickers, it helps change up the pace of the building process and slows it down a bit. 

I dont mind them in small sets, but for 150€ you'd expect to get nice prints

I don't like stickers in general, but I can accept them in principle in playsets, the basic idea of which is that they can also be customized, modified or changed.

But not in display sets, not only because of the price, but because display sets are designed to be a display piece and therefore to be looked at.
It's just supposed to look good.

With display sets, I would choose the variant of printing everything and adding the printed parts again unprinted, which means that in the end everyone has the choice of how they want to use the parts, even with display sets.
Especially with the prices called, that would not be asking too much from a monetary point of view.

We're talking a few cents here.

And even if the prices for many sets are already absurd, I would pay a few bugs more if everything is really printed.
Display sets are primarily aimed at adults and AFOLs anyway

55 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

I don't like stickers in general, but I can accept them in principle in playsets, the basic idea of which is that they can also be customized, modified or changed.

But not in display sets, not only because of the price, but because display sets are designed to be a display piece and therefore to be looked at.
It's just supposed to look good.

With display sets, I would choose the variant of printing everything and adding the printed parts again unprinted, which means that in the end everyone has the choice of how they want to use the parts, even with display sets.
Especially with the prices called, that would not be asking too much from a monetary point of view.

We're talking a few cents here.

And even if the prices for many sets are already absurd, I would pay a few bugs more if everything is really printed.
Display sets are primarily aimed at adults and AFOLs anyway

I like this distinction. Good points.

I don’t usually complain about stickers, but given how cheap this wave must’ve been to produce with only one new part plus the resurrected idol mould, I think they should at least have printed all the parts in 77015 :tongue:

Wonder which other theme siphoned all the budget here. It definitely wasn’t Marvel, that‘s for sure :laugh_hard:

45 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I don’t usually complain about stickers, but given how cheap this wave must’ve been to produce with only one new part plus the resurrected idol mould, I think they should at least have printed all the parts in 77015 :tongue:

Wonder which other theme siphoned all the budget here. It definitely wasn’t Marvel, that‘s for sure :laugh_hard:

Cheap to produce, but maybe not to design with all the play features?  And we are not sure how long the negotiation with LucasFilm was/is.

I sadly missed the original wave, but due to KotCS not being well-liked, did the sets for the trilogy sit around a lot?  Perhaps Lego is unsure how popular the theme/movies will be with kids and AFOLs and is worried about pricing especially with a movie that's got constant naysayers and speculation.

All the more reason to buy them immediately to show the interest.  Need a reason to get my nephews to watch the original trilogy too :)

11 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

Cheap to produce, but maybe not to design with all the play features?  And we are not sure how long the negotiation with LucasFilm was/is.

They‘re well-designed for sure, but you can tell there were some cut corners :tongue:

11 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

All the more reason to buy them immediately to show the interest. 

That‘s not gonna accomplish much. The 2024 sets are already being designed as we speak, so there‘s no time for the sales to affect anything. 

Edit: I mean 2024 sets in general. I don‘t expect any additional Indy stuff 

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

1 ora fa, BrickBob Studpants ha detto:

Mi chiedo quale altro tema abbia sottratto tutto il budget qui. Sicuramente non era la Marvel, questo è sicuro:laugh_hard:

Lol

with the hat, the idol and all these new minifigures had a better budget than marvel :-(

1 hour ago, Mopasali said:

I sadly missed the original wave, but due to KotCS not being well-liked, did the sets for the trilogy sit around a lot?  Perhaps Lego is unsure how popular the theme/movies will be with kids and AFOLs and is worried about pricing especially with a movie that's got constant naysayers and speculation.

I don't remember any of the sets being particularly difficult to find (with the exception of Peril in Peru, which I believe was a TRU exclusive?  So it was "difficult" in the sense that not everywhere carried it).  I actually got my 7623 (the original Idol Temple set) on clearance at the LEGO store, though I think it was very deep into that set's production run (i would wager a guess I bought it in either the fall of 2009 or spring of 2010).

However, there was definitely a lot more hype from LEGO about the release of the sets.  I remember a 2008 catalog having Indy on the cover and the initial wave of sets being the first things featured, there were also some Comic-Con exclusives, a Brickmaster polybag tie in, and a video game.  There was definitely a lot of excitement about the original wave that hasn't been present here.

I'm more just confused than anything.  I'm not upset with LEGO or anything, but it's really just odd if it truly will be only these three sets and nothing else. 

I know KotCS wasn't well-liked, but that didn't really change anyone's perspective on the old movies, and I think James Mangold's successes as a director lead a lot of people (myself included) to believe that this will end up being a good conclusion to the Indy saga, so I don't think it's a "the movie won't do well."

I also just straight up refuse to believe the theories people are throwing around that "they're afraid of the set content being controversial."  First off, if that were the case, there's no way they'd let people spread leaked pictures of the ToD set.  Unlike the Osprey or dynamite factory situation, there were no official pictures circulating, the only official proof circulating was just the not-updated descriptions that mentioned ToD.  LEGO had no reason to let those pictures get circulated further by LAN members if they truly were concerned with the content being controversial.

So...if the DoD sets truly aren't coming, what caused it?

22 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

So...if the DoD sets truly aren't coming, what caused it?

Which DoD sets? That was just guesswork by Promobricks. For all we know, sets were never planned to begin with.

As for the reason(s), we will likely never know. They will either not give a statement at all, or just spout some corporate nonsense again.

My guess? Lucasfilm/Disney were asking for a license fee that TLG wasn’t willing to pay, so they settled for the cheaper license for the old movies :shrug_oh_well:

5 hours ago, RODDY said:

I actually kinda enjoy stickers, it helps change up the pace of the building process and slows it down a bit. 

Wanna do mine?

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Which DoD sets? That was just guesswork by Promobricks. For all we know, sets were never planned to begin with.

It wasn’t exactly guess work