Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

24 minutes ago, Nylock said:

Just chatted with Lego Support about the temple of doom and they copy / pasted their “official” response lol. I asked why the set is mentioned on their set descriptions and he said that it needs to be fixed and he’ll report it to the lego team. Definitely canceled.

I also just talked to the Lego customer service on the website today, they told me that he couldn't give me any information on the temple of doom because "it is a secret" and to "stay tuned".... I can post screenshots. I REALLY DO NOT THINK ITS CANCELLED

Edited by HuntFX

9 minutes ago, HuntFX said:

I also just talked to the Lego customer service on the website today, they told me that he couldn't give me any information on the temple of doom because "it is a secret" and to "stay tuned".... I can post screenshots. I REALLY DO NOT THINK ITS CANCELLED

Please do. I honestly doubt anyone on the Customer Support team knows much more about the set than we do, but I'd still be interested in seeing these messages.

18 minutes ago, HuntFX said:

Standard customer service reply. Nothing to it.

4 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

So what exactly did we accomplish today?

uhf-nothing.gif

Got some hd pictures I guess

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

uhf-nothing.gif

Eh, we found out that three awesome sets are 100% getting a full release, are coming April 1, and are priced much more affordably than any of us had thought. I'd call that accomplishing at least a little bit.

24 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

How come?

In response to Ke coming back as Short Round possibly affecting the ToD set, Lego/Lucas may want to emphasize his character in the set for older and newer fans.  For example, they could make his Minifigure extra-special, revise it according to his specifications, highlight his Minifigure in the marketing of the set, give the Minifigure more accessories, etc.  The new Minifigure may be just the same as the original leaked photos were blurry), but if Short Round's legacy is continuing even as a cameo, a redesign and increased budget for him may be appropriate.

Even just the focus on Ke winning an Oscar and being an all-around darling in the lead-up could boost viewings of ToD the movie (and Goonies?) and encourage Lucasfilms/Lego to spend some effort on the accompanying set, either on marketing or improvements.  Indy is a fun movie for those that grew up with him, but having a well-designed kid Minifigure could really expand the theme's audience.

1 hour ago, Nylock said:

Just chatted with Lego Support about the temple of doom and they copy / pasted their “official” response lol. I asked why the set is mentioned on their set descriptions and he said that it needs to be fixed and he’ll report it to the lego team. Definitely canceled.

They don't know any more than we do.

2 hours ago, Mopasali said:

Especially if the decision was made with Lucasfilm, I could see them holding off on releasing ToD until they know if Ke wants to revive Short Round.

Revive? I don't think his appearance in a set would change anything if there's a short round spinoff coming or anything.

Also, and this is totally unrelated... I don't want a spinoff show or movie about other characters. Indy isn't a franchise like star wars where the focus is on the world. It's just the guy, it's Indy himself. A short round comic or something could be cool, and I'll admit short round is a much more tempting prospect for me than the other obvious choices and rumors (shia back in the day, ravenwood, Pheobe waller-bridge's character, etc), but I don't think you can have Indiana Jones without Indiana Jones.

5 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

In response to Ke coming back as Short Round possibly affecting the ToD set, Lego/Lucas may want to emphasize his character in the set for older and newer fans.  For example, they could make his Minifigure extra-special, revise it according to his specifications, highlight his Minifigure in the marketing of the set, give the Minifigure more accessories, etc.  The new Minifigure may be just the same as the original leaked photos were blurry), but if Short Round's legacy is continuing even as a cameo, a redesign and increased budget for him may be appropriate.

Even just the focus on Ke winning an Oscar and being an all-around darling in the lead-up could boost viewings of ToD the movie (and Goonies?) and encourage Lucasfilms/Lego to spend some effort on the accompanying set, either on marketing or improvements.  Indy is a fun movie for those that grew up with him, but having a well-designed kid Minifigure could really expand the theme's audience.

I don't want to sound mean, but I don't see how this makes any sense. Like Indiana Jones minifigure doesn't look that much like Harrison Ford, why would they go so hard on Short Round? Like don't get me wrong, I really like Ke so I'd be up for him getting a minifigure, but I think you're coping (so am I).

23 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

uhf-nothing.gif

This is one of the funniest posts I've seen in this forum, keep it up

2 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

short round is a much more tempting prospect for me than the other obvious choices and rumors

Sean Connery's corpse is reanimated a la Weekend at Bernie's for Henry Jones Senior's spin off.

My first thought after reading this vague Statement was: "Maybe the DoD wave is so lackluster that they needed a great Set to optimize the wave and the Temple is released later this year."

Wishful thiking, but who knows? :D

23 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

52746166895_e4ab10ec7a.jpg

I know, I know, they're not officially cancelled just yet, but it's how I currently feel about the whole thing :tongue:

This made me laugh

Edited by Falconfan1414

2 hours ago, Legofan2001 said:

Don’t we think lego would’ve said that the set was delayed for technical issues in that case?

I’m not too sure that I would rely on LEGO’s communication as a basis of support. Lots of sets have seemingly come out of nowhere, and these sets were bought and reviewed from an actual store over a week before they were officially revealed. We’ll just have to wait and see, for the both the ToD and the DoD sets. 

Raiders and Last Crusade sets: *officially revealed* “Wait, I can explain-”

Temple of Doom: “You’re getting revealed while I’m only leaked?”

Dial of Destiny: “You had a set leaked? I was only rumored.”

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: “You guys are getting sets?”

Edited by Rwbricks

8 minutes ago, Rwbricks said:

😂 this needs to be made into the mother ignoring her kid drowning in a pool meme

18 minutes ago, Rwbricks said:

🤣 Well that sums it up nicely.

Edited by BacktoBricks

1 hour ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Eh, we found out that three awesome sets are 100% getting a full release, are coming April 1, and are priced much more affordably than any of us had thought. I'd call that accomplishing at least a little bit.

April 1st…maybe it was an April Fools joke 🫠

Loving the memes everyone :laugh:

I suppose it’s always possible that we’ll get the Temple of Doom and Dial of Destiny wave next year, the sets we’re getting next month are pretty much winners all around anyway.

As it stands, a full on merchandise push for the fifth film is still forthcoming - it’s always possible that Disney / Lucasfilm would like to co-ordinate a proper reveal across Hasbro, Lego, Funko and so on. Thus far, only 2-3 toys based on the film have been revealed, all of which belong to Hasbro’s child-oriented line anyway. Let’s see what happens and keep our expectations minimal.

Edited by Kaijumeister

I find it extremely interesting that they have allowed fan media to publish the leaked image. They've officially acknowledge its existence. Surely if it was a culture issue they wouldn't have allowed that? Yes it was leaked, but that could have been passed off as a model that was never going to get made.

Couple this with the 'consolidation' statement, I'd say it might be more of a case of Lego or Lucasfilm, or indeed both, hedging their bets and deciding to streamline the products released at launch in case the movie doesn't do too well. As such the Temple of Doom might have been considered the most problematic and thus have either been shelved or put on the back burner for a later date if another wave seems commercially viable. After all, it wouldn't surprise me that Lucasfilm or even Lego might get cold feet this late into production if they decided to change their marketing plan for the movie.

I could be way off base obviously, just my thoughts.

Edited by BacktoBricks

Ok the temple is probably cancelled, but I don't understand why we are worried about DOD sets

I mean, I understand the reasons for the concern, but isn't it normal for the sets for a new film to be revealed close to the release, or even after the film?  maybe they contain spoilers, we know very little about the plot

Edited by Legocentrico

While most people are concerned discussing the sets that haven't been or aren't going to be revealed or released, the lost tomb set has a legitimately fantastic price - even in Australia, it's only $60 RRP!! With a typical 20% sale (and more if you want longer), that a real steal. I'm looking forward to picking that one up.

My understanding was that most of the discussion around cancellation was that the ToD set was that it was not available with the other three, however the DoD sets are also in that boat. Is it not possible that that the ToD set is just due to release with the DoD sets to give them some extra attention.
It is often the case that sequels/reboots/prequels of movies are not received well by some nostalgic fans - we even saw this with KotCS. Potentially that would reduce people wanting to buy Lego sets associated with them. By releasing ToD at the same time as DoD they have the ability to go here are the new Indy sets, including one based on a movie you actually liked, in an attempt to get people to buy sets the otherwise might have ignored (I am getting ToD now so why not the others). I would also be happy with this as it would let me spread out spending over the life of the theme rather than everything released at once. It could even be a case of ToD being the flagship set with smaller DoD sets to go with it.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

52746166895_e4ab10ec7a.jpg

I know, I know, they're not officially cancelled just yet, but it's how I currently feel about the whole thing :tongue:

Mr. Turner: Curse you Dinkleburg TLG!

(Sorry I quoted the image, but it had to be done to make sense!)

46 minutes ago, timemail said:

My understanding was that most of the discussion around cancellation was that the ToD set was that it was not available with the other three, however the DoD sets are also in that boat. Is it not possible that that the ToD set is just due to release with the DoD sets to give them some extra attention.

The problem is we don’t actually know what the three known sets are supposed to represent. Does this herald the return of Indiana Jones as a theme? Are these the only three sets Lego intend to release to the general public before it’s gone again for good? Usually when a licensed theme (new or revisited) is revealed, a press release is at least provided to indicate Lego’s intentions with it, such as when Avatar was first officially confirmed.

We’ll probably get more information on the full picture closer to June / July, be it from the usual leakers or from Lego directly.

So some sets are already on store shelves. Now that it is officially released can we talk about that or is it still not proper?