Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

4 hours ago, strangely said:

It's interesting that it's mentioned on the 18+ set, but not the others.

It makes me wonder if they might release it after all, but perhaps under the 18+ range.

Not seeing the reference myself. Has it been deleted?

1 minute ago, Lucarex said:

Same here. 

10 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

It's mentioned in the "specifications" description for 77012 and 77013 - ironically enough the opposite of what @strangely said

• More adventure – Look out for the Fighter Plane Chase (77012), The Temple of Doom (77014) and Temple of the Golden Idol (77015)LEGO® Indiana Jones™ sets

Alright, so the more that comes out, the more I'm convinced ToD could actually be coming and was just delayed for whatever reason.

LEGO allowing leakers to show pictures seems really unusual.  If the set were against their internal terms/guidelines, I highly, highly, highly doubt they'd be okay with more images of it being put out there, my guess would be that they'd want to remove as much as possible of it.  Especially so because, unlike the Osprey or dynamite factory, no official pictures had been put out, so only a small subset of people had actually seen the pictures (I know a lot of people pay attention to leaks between forums, Instagram, Reddit, etc, but the reality is, the average LEGO consumer has no idea what's coming later in the year, let alone where to find these pictures).

The biggest thing is that the descriptions are still up, even after several hours.  If they're gone at some point, then that's probably it for the set, but the longer they stay up, the more I feel like we could eventually get this set.  The descriptions aren't just "oh haha LEGO incompetent" but they're something that a team of copywriters has to get okayed and most likely has to have someone from a legal team give it a once-over and approve it.  This isn't just something that someone typed up an hour before the products appeared online.  I can promise you that someone within LEGO is aware of the fact that the ToD is listed in the description, and if it were truly an Osprey situation, that 100% would've been taken down by now.

Some of this is probably wishful thinking on my part, but I think this does at least tell us that the set wasn't pulled for content reasons, otherwise the entire thing would've been probably been erased from existence, at least as much as LEGO can go about doing that.

Very disappointing that there is no printed elements in the Temple of the Golden Idol; even the quote is a stickers. But the technicality of the set is spectacular. 

I also personally love all the rock faces made out of a multitude of small elements.

Especially if the decision was made with Lucasfilm, I could see them holding off on releasing ToD until they know if Ke wants to revive Short Round.  Seeing Spielberg and Ford so excited for him at the Oscars cemented that despite ToD being the objectively lesser of the original trilogy, it is my childhood favorite.   And Short Round was the best and most competent kid sidekick to an adult ever.  

I'm hopeful they may release or upgrade ToD, but even if it never comes, I'm adding a Short Round to my Indy sets regardless (even if he's made up of generic parts).  If we're getting Loki 2 sets, Ke's character better be included!

3 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

Especially if the decision was made with Lucasfilm, I could see them holding off on releasing ToD until they know if Ke wants to revive Short Round.  Seeing Spielberg and Ford so excited for him at the Oscars cemented that despite ToD being the objectively lesser of the original trilogy, it is my childhood favorite.   And Short Round was the best and most competent kid sidekick to an adult ever.  

I'm hopeful they may release or upgrade ToD, but even if it never comes, I'm adding a Short Round to my Indy sets regardless (even if he's made up of generic parts).  If we're getting Loki 2 sets, Ke's character better be included!

I rewatched ToD yesterday and damn, I would kill for short round to be back, even in his own movie/Disney+ series

13 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Very disappointing that there is no printed elements in the Temple of the Golden Idol; even the quote is a stickers. But the technicality of the set is spectacular.

There are some printed elements though, namely the 2x4 tiles with the spiral-like pattern and the skull print on the knobs to activate the features. Weird they printed those instead of the quotes, but whatevs :laugh:

The description on the listed sets on S@H explicitly mention scenes from the first 3 movies and later mention the ToD by name and set number. I know everyone loves to assume incompetency and point fingers but I find it hard to believe they'd explicitly mention a cancelled set on their own website and leave it up.

Either way speculation right now is pointless, at least we have official confirmation of 3 sets now! I was fully prepared for the entire wave to be cancelled and having to buy some of the sets that made it to shelves from scalpers. Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the 3 fantastic sets we are getting? I'm very pleased with the price points remaining the same and will probably pick up multiple copies of the Lost Tomb for some Adventurers MOCs.

52 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

50 minutes ago, Jdrewg said:

Same here. 

49 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Probably been deleted by now

48 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

It's mentioned in the "specifications" description for 77012 and 77013 - ironically enough the opposite of what @strangely said

I thought I saw it in specifications, but I don't see it now. So perhaps I was mistaken or it was deleted, whichever.

4 minutes ago, strangely said:

I thought I saw it in specifications, but I don't see it now. So perhaps I was mistaken or it was deleted, whichever.

They are "correcting" it. The reference to 77014 will be removed (it already has been removed in the 77015) :(

Edited by hachiroku

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

There are some printed elements though, namely the 2x4 tiles with the spiral-like pattern and the skull print on the knobs to activate the features. Weird they printed those instead of the quotes, but whatevs :laugh:

Are there? I just watched Bricksie's review and he says there are no printed elements. Happy if that's incorrect though.

I still think it would be strange to realize that the set does not comply with company policy at such an advanced stage of production.  These are hot topics for Lego, the set would not have passed the list of possibilities in the planning stage… in parallel I see no reason to release it at a later date.  I'd like to know the background...

21 minutes ago, hachiroku said:

They are "correcting" it. The reference to 77014 will be removed (it already has been removed in the 77015) :(

Interesting. 

I'm still not sure what to make of it.  I'm absolutely convinced it wasn't cancelled/delayed for company guideline purposes (the exception being if they decided to re-work the statue of Kali and push the release date back), because I can't see them giving the okay for blogs/YouTubers to show leaked pictures (seriously, when has that EVER happened before?  Not even due to something like this, but just letting them publish leaked pics at all) if that were the case.

If it's not that, it would either be the result of a structural issue (in which case a delay makes sense)...or...what else?

£35 for a 600 piece set is fantastic by the way. Excited for that

I’m so excited for the golden idol temple, it was the only set from the original wave I never owned and the fact that they’re doing it as an 18+ diorama is amazing

At this point, the most likely scenario IMO is that the 77014 TOD has failed final stage QC on build stability, and remains internally delayed albeit subject to cancellation if priorities shift.

If these initial sets do well (and they will clearly) and the DOD sets get the green light, then this will hit the shelves eventually, assuming they fix the technical issues. If either or both of those don't happen, then well they don't have to change from their deliberately vague statement about "optimising the launch".

It's really the only explanation that makes sense and fits with the complete lack of transparency (as they could never openly admit to that reason out of embarrassment).

p.s.

Goes without saying but I'm counting down the days, no hours....until I can get my hands on 77015. Not insanely priced and an iconic diorama with play features, what more can you want? 

I know some will recoil in horror, but I've just sold the 2008 version (bagged up and unloved for many a year) to fund the new. 

Edited by Lucarex

7 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

At this point, the most likely scenario IMO is that the 77014 TOD has failed final stage QC on build stability, and remains internally delayed albeit subject to cancellation if priorities shift.

If these initial sets do well (and they will clearly) and the DOD sets get the green light, then this will hit the shelves eventually, assuming they fix the technical issues. If either or both of those don't happen, then well they don't have to change from their deliberately vague statement about "optimising the launch".

It's really the only explanation that makes sense and fits with the complete lack of transparency (as they could never openly admit to that reason out of embarrassment).

Don’t we think lego would’ve said that the set was delayed for technical issues in that case?

The Idol Temple looks like pretty much the definitive set to get from this wave, but the other two look like a good value as well.  Given that the Temple of Doom looked like it had the most room for improvement in terms of design and structure compared to the other sets, it being delayed to be revamped makes the most sense based on what we know.  I feel like LEGO wouldn't let the set be acknowledged at all if it was definitively canceled entirely.  

13 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

Don’t we think lego would’ve said that the set was delayed for technical issues in that case?

I mean sure, but this goes for all potential reasons for why it could have been canceled. It is not like they were afraid to announce that the Osprey violated their guidelines after they released it. 

17 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

Not necessarily. The problem for LEGO is that the more information they provide, the more they can be beaten with it later. On anything. Was it the controversial story/depiction (you'll get complaints from either/both sides of the political spectrum on that)? Was it logistics or build issues (you'll get complaints from AFOLs and fan media about declining quality, which may seep into the perception of LEGO as a brand)? Was it Lucasfilm controlling what they wanted out there (you'll get complaints about Disney having too much control)? It all just means the potential for bad press. But if they're vague (or ignore it completely), then they have a few people on the internet complaining in forums or Reddit, but it won't generate the reach that a detailed press release could.

Also, being vague gives them the ability to do what they like in the future. Being specific puts them in a corner that they don't need to be in, regardless of their current plans.

Just chatted with Lego Support about the temple of doom and they copy / pasted their “official” response lol. I asked why the set is mentioned on their set descriptions and he said that it needs to be fixed and he’ll report it to the lego team. Definitely canceled.

1 hour ago, hachiroku said:

When I first went on LEGO.com this morning, it was never mentioned in the description for 77015, only the other sets (as 77015 doesn't advertise the rest of the line like the other sets do). Not saying it definitely won't be removed from the other set descriptions, just that it's been the better part of a day and they still haven't done diddly.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

1 hour ago, Mopasali said:

Especially if the decision was made with Lucasfilm, I could see them holding off on releasing ToD until they know if Ke wants to revive Short Round. 

How come?