Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

What a truly disappointing shambles.  I remember how excited I was last summer learning new Indiana Jones sets were coming. An almost year of building excitement to lead to this. If Lego didn't make Harry Potter I'd be tempted to step back from financially supporting them for some time. 

I don't care how the sets are released, whether it's to a big fanfare or just quietly added to the website. My enjoyment comes from the quality and value of the sets, any I think these look great and are reasonably priced, so I'm happy.

1 minute ago, RichardGoring said:

I don't care how the sets are released, whether it's to a big fanfare or just quietly added to the website. My enjoyment comes from the quality and value of the sets, any I think these look great and are reasonably priced, so I'm happy.

Well, I usually couldn’t care less either. However, my only hope for the DoD sets rested on an official announcement hinting at them, and that hope has now been dashed :sad:

Just pitiful how this has been handled.

36 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The sets are on s@h, with the correct prices!

And guess what: the set description still mentions 77014 :laugh_hard: The incomptence on display is just astounding

I don't know if we should immediately jump to incompetence rather than thinking this is further evidence it could just be delayed. This wouldn't be the first time a LEGO description makes reference to the name and number of another set not yet revealed.

Kinda funny how I went to Brickset for the official set images article after I saw they were on S@H, only to find out there is no article nor social media post from Lego about this. Well at least it's confirmed the 3 sets are coming. 

Aye official reveal on my birthday let’s go! I don’t know about you guys, but all these sets have really grown on me. At first I bashed them for being too bright and cartoony but with each time a new leak with better pics, I’ve really come to love all these. Just really happy to have Indiana Jones back in some way, make me giddy like when HP first came back in 2018. Sure the reveal was a bit lackluster, but it doesn’t matter because all that does is that I’ll be at the Lego Store April 1. 

4 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I don't know if we should immediately jump to incompetence rather than thinking this is further evidence it could just be delayed. 

What other evidence is there though? According to all the leakers, it‘s been cancelled rather than delayed :sadnew: And the DoD sets don‘t fare much better based on what we know.

1 minute ago, RODDY said:

[…] make me giddy like when HP first came back in 2018. 

Nah. This would be like only having the Great Hall, the Aragog, and Quidditch sets on shelves, with the Hogwarts Express getting leaked, but cancelled along with all the other HP and FB sets that year. And none of the 2019-2023 stuff existing :tongue:

That giddyness was killed a coupla weeks ago.

9 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

What other evidence is there though? According to all the leakers, it‘s been cancelled rather than delayed :sadnew: And the DoD sets don‘t fare much better based on what we know.

Nah. This would be like only having the Great Hall, the Aragog, and Quidditch sets on shelves, with the Hogwarts Express getting leaked, but cancelled along with all the other HP and FB sets that year. And none of the 2019-2023 stuff existing :tongue:

That giddyness was killed a coupla weeks ago.

Eh I wasn’t a big fan of the Temple of Doom set to begin with so it’s not a big loss to me besides the minifigs. Maybe if I saw official pics for that one my mind would have changed but the statue on that thing was way off. It was the set I was initially most hyped about because Temple is my favorite Jones action scene, but this was so lackluster. Hopefully the delay means a better product that comes next year if there is another wave. 

Edited by RODDY

1 minute ago, RODDY said:

Hopefully the delay means a better product that comes next year if there is another wave. 

That‘s the biggest IF imaginable :tongue: I appreciate your optimism, but only 3/8 planned sets releasing doesn‘t exactly scream „more sets are coming next year“ to me. In my mind, it‘s over.

I’ll bring up this point. They have revealed august sets already (N-1 microfighter). If the temple of doom was just delayed, why not reveal it alongside the rest of the sets? 

77014 The Temple of Doom: cancelled

Official statement:

Throughout 2022, the LEGO Group worked closely with Lucasfilm to optimise our planned product line up for the upcoming LEGO Indiana Jones product launches in April 2023.

As an outcome of this, we consolidated the launch to focus on three products (77012, 77013, 77015) that feature some of the most iconic scenes from the Indiana Jones franchise.

From Brickset. Also why is my writing in invisible ink

Edited by sammy_zammy

Lucasfilm are a bunch 🤡 

But this STILL doesn’t explain where the f*ck Indy 5 sets went. Like WTF is the point of bringing back Indy yet refusing to make sets for Indy 5??????????????

26 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Aye official reveal on my birthday let’s go! 

Happy Birthday!

25 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That thought of that makes me go cold. Does make me appreciate the HP line more though.

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

So Lucasfilm is to blame for this mess? Of course. Cancelling things is their biggest strength after all

Should have known Kathleen Kennedy would get drawn into this. 🤣

1 minute ago, Legofan2001 said:

Lucasfilm are a bunch 🤡 

But this STILL doesn’t explain where the f*ck Indy 5 sets went. Like WTF is the point of bringing back Indy yet refusing to make sets for Indy 5??????????????

We are talking about a Lego and Lucasfilm collaboration here ... This seems like standard business. :head_back:

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

Should have known Kathleen Kennedy would get drawn into this. 🤣

I‘m not saying she‘s personally to blame, but Lucasfilm has been turned into a laughingstock with the 10+ Star Wars films that have already been cancelled, and now this nonsense. What a hollow, corporate BS non-explanation :wall:

1 minute ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I‘m not saying she‘s personally to blame, but Lucasfilm has been turned into a laughingstock with the 10+ Star Wars films that have already been cancelled, and now this nonsense. What a hollow, corporate BS non-explanation :wall:

Oh I know. I'm behind you, it's just tickles me that Lego is insinuating this is Lucasfilm's, aka Kennedy's as the face of the brand, fault.

Edited by BacktoBricks

14 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Official statement:

Throughout 2022, the LEGO Group worked closely with Lucasfilm to optimise our planned product line up for the upcoming LEGO Indiana Jones product launches in April 2023.

As an outcome of this, we consolidated the launch to focus on three products (77012, 77013, 77015) that feature some of the most iconic scenes from the Indiana Jones franchise.

I mean, nothing here says it’s cancelled or that these are the only sets we’re getting. All the indie product launches in April are original trilogy based. All the hasbro figures are from the first 2 movies

14 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

So Lucasfilm is to blame for this mess? Of course. Cancelling things is their biggest strength after all

In my opinion, this is not an official statement, it is nothing.
And bringing LucasFilm / LucasArts / Disney into the game is cowardly.
Of course, it was ultimately a joint decision as to which sets would actually appear, but who ultimately made the final decision doesn't explain that, not even specifically why ToD isn't coming, but we were already prepared for that anyway.

I don't know if the comment is really official.

If so, it's done, if not, I still think it's possible that ToD will be revised later in a different form.

With all the salvation that has come, now that Indiana Jones is launching as normal, I see no reason why DoD shouldn't come, quite the opposite in fact.

Unless LEGO was forced to release the three sets because of the leaks, I don't think so.

There is no evidence of a DoD cancellation other than the fact that retailers no longer have the products in their order lists, that is all.
All rumors are based on this fact and even here the question is whether this is actually fact, if DoD is initially exclusive there is a chance that it will not be available to all retailers until September and their lists will therefore not be updated until summer, In addition, no one wants to spoil the content of the film at the moment.

And technically nothing has really been officially announced yet, LEGO has listed the sets, that's all. OK, relaunch of the series of topics finished. Maybe there will be a statement. Maybe not. Personally, I don't see the slightest clue why I should doubt DoD, and a dealer order list won't change that for the time being.

2 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Oh I know. I'm behind you, it's just tickles me that Lego is insinuating this is Lucasfilm's, aka Kennedy's as the face of the brand, fault.

If it’s Lucasfilm’s fault, maybe they can release the same set with Johnny Thunder characters instead 😂

Just now, DrHenryJonesJr said:

In my opinion, this is not an official statement, it is nothing.
And bringing LucasFilm / LucasArts / Disney into the game is cowardly.
Of course, it was ultimately a joint decision as to which sets would actually appear, but who ultimately made the final decision doesn't explain that, not even specifically why ToD isn't coming, but we were already prepared for that anyway.

I don't know if the comment is really official.

If so, it's done, if not, I still think it's possible that ToD will be revised later in a different form.

With all the salvation that has come, now that Indiana Jones is launching as normal, I see no reason why DoD shouldn't come, quite the opposite in fact.

Unless LEGO was forced to release the three sets because of the leaks, I don't think so.

There is no evidence of a DoD cancellation other than the fact that retailers no longer have the products in their order lists, that is all.
All rumors are based on this fact and even here the question is whether this is actually fact, if DoD is initially exclusive there is a chance that it will not be available to all retailers until September and their lists will therefore not be updated until summer, In addition, no one wants to spoil the content of the film at the moment.

And technically nothing has really been officially announced yet, LEGO has listed the sets, that's all. OK, relaunch of the series of topics finished. Maybe there will be a statement. Maybe not. Personally, I don't see the slightest clue why I should doubt DoD, and a dealer order list won't change that for the time being.

Lego basically admitted that Indy is dead as a theme but keep inhaling the Hopium🤷‍♂️

56 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

And of course, no peep of DoD anywhere. Whoever is responsible for the handling of this trainwreck should be deeply ashamed of themselves. Congrats, you managed to completely kill my anticipation of the new movie! Not sure if I even want to see it anymore at this point.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m feeling frustrated and annoyed with this whole situation too, but this is an odd stance to take about DoD. The potential lack of Lego tie-in is idiotic, but the movie itself still looks really good.

It’s funny how for years I was talking about how I wanted Indy 5 to finally be made just so we can get the Lego theme back, and now I’m more excited for the film itself than the revitalized theme.

13 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Official statement:

Such a nothing statement, but that’s classic Lego PR for you.