Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

14 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

What survey? That was leaked boxart, and it was in the same stage of development as the other three sets. They look identical to the finalised versions!

I might have been mistaken, but I assumed the originals pictures leaked from that big survey leak a few weeks back.

Leaked box art doesn't mean it was ever approved for production. Box art is something created before the factory ever starts producing a product. We know the set was developed by the design team, we know they created box art and that the key art was finalized. But we don't have any proof that it was ever approved for production and actually went into production.

2 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

They probably overproduced the new Hair-Hat mold in preparation for the new sets so they just decided to include them in these 3 sets instead.

Why would they have over produced that piece? Indy's hair in Dial of Destiny is grey, not brown.

1 minute ago, Legofan2001 said:

They probably overproduced the new Hair-Hat mold in preparation for the new sets so they just decided to include them in these 3 sets instead.

I mean, considering that Indy has gray hair in DoD it would've made no sense to use hats with brown hair in any of those sets. With the Temple of Doom I can at least sort of understand where you'd be coming from, but imo it'd make way more sense to just recycle the plastic for future use than throw a bunch of extra hats in sets for no reason. (Especially since that would be a meaningless gesture when there are tons of other new parts and prints that aren't seeing the light of day - It's not like they're throwing a couple Mola Ram headdresses into every set.)

5 minutes ago, strangely said:

I might have been mistaken, but I assumed the originals pictures leaked from that big survey leak a few weeks back.

The survey leak included D2C sets with blank backgrounds and huge watermarks, while the Indy sets had finished boxart and no watermarks. They leaked in quick succession, but had no relation :laugh:

1 minute ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The survey leak included D2C sets with blank backgrounds and huge watermarks, while the Indy sets had finished boxart and no watermarks. They leaked in quick succession, but had no relation :laugh:

Yeah, didn't the initial Indy pics leak from Nuremberg toy fair?

10 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Yeah, didn't the initial Indy pics leak from Nuremberg toy fair?

Good question! They leaked during Nuremberg Toy Fair, but I thought that was just a coincidence. If they were taken at the fair, wouldn’t it have made more sense to take pictures of the sets on display rather than the boxart? :laugh_hard:

Just now, BrickBob Studpants said:

Good question! They leaked during Nuremberg Toy Fair, but I thought that was just a coincidence. If they were taken at the fair, wouldn’t it have made more sense to take pictures of the sets on display rather than the boxart? :laugh_hard:

Fair, fair, but with the timing being so coincidental and no other image leaks happening until yesterday, it definitely seems correlated.

Do we actually know if any of the Indy sets were actually on display aside from the Temple of the Golden Idol? Maybe that was the only one they brought a physical prototype model of and they just had box pictures for the other sets.

4 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The pictures were photos of a screen showing the boxes and the Temple Escape diorama. They weren't photos taken directly of the boxes or the Temple Escape set.

My theory is that LEGO showed a video about the Indiana Jones theme in the Toy fair and someone took photos of the screen.

Edited by hachiroku

3 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

If the sets leaked from Nuremberg Toy Fair that destroys the claim that the Temple of Doom was cancelled “Months Ago”

If the sets leaked from Nuremberg Toy Fair that destroys the claim that the Temple of Doom was cancelled “Months Ago”

Exactly! That's why I want to parse this out, because between this and the set descriptions we got yesterday it seems more and more like the decision to cancel/delay the Temple of Doom was a VERY recent one - Nuremberg TF was only last month, so if the ToD leaked from there the first rumors of its cancellation came only a couple of weeks after it was shown off with intent to release.

1 minute ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Exactly! That's why I want to parse this out, because between this and the set descriptions we got yesterday it seems more and more like the decision to cancel/delay the Temple of Doom was a VERY recent one - Nuremberg TF was only last month, so if the ToD leaked from there the first rumors of its cancellation came only a couple of weeks after it was shown off with intent to release.

Lego really needs to explain what is going on………..

26 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I mean, considering that Indy has gray hair in DoD it would've made no sense to use hats with brown hair in any of those sets. With the Temple of Doom I can at least sort of understand where you'd be coming from, but imo it'd make way more sense to just recycle the plastic for future use than throw a bunch of extra hats in sets for no reason. (Especially since that would be a meaningless gesture when there are tons of other new parts and prints that aren't seeing the light of day - It's not like they're throwing a couple Mola Ram headdresses into every set.)

That doesn't necessarily have to be the case either. As far as Indy 5 has leaked out so far, there is some form of time travel, but there are certainly flashbacks in the film, for example the scene on and in the train, which can also be seen in the trailer - digital deaging. This could also include an Indy with brown hair in a DoD set, or both variants of the figure, or at least an interchangeable hat piece
So the brown hat could have been produced with the first batch. If you looked at a Lego documentary that contained how extensive the production of new molds is, that would be possible. In addition, it would be more efficient to produce or pre-produce parts that may be required later, so that they may then be distributed in other sets cannot be completely ruled out.

I don't think that's the case though, we didn't find the Opsrey in any other tech sets as far as I know, did we? :-)
No idea

It would also be the first LEGO set that I know of that contained an unnecessarily large number of parts, apart from the smallest small parts.

Maybe a packaging error, which also happened with ToD, only that it couldn't be fixed there, or the ToD hat part ended up in the wrong set.

In general, I still can't imagine a complete cancellation, or maybe I just don't want it :-D

May LEGO finally free us from speculation :-)

Lego really needs to explain what is going on………..

Unfortunately there’s no obligation for them to do so, because no set exists until it’s been revealed or on shelves.

I’m prepared to laugh at how Lego justified the end product that actually reaches shelves. ‘In anticipation of the newest instalment, relive the classic adventures of Indiana Jones!’ Funnier still is that Dial of Destiny even gets an indirect mention in the manual for the Temple of the Golden Idol.

We really need a sticky of the actual facts we have....  Thanks about the info on the Nuremberg Toy Fair!  That's a new one for me 

23 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

But it doesn't confirm it was definitely being released either.

There are plenty of instances of a toy fair product not making it to shelves in the end (for example the Fang figure from Hagrids Hut).

2 minutes ago, strangely said:

But it doesn't confirm it was definitely being released either.

There are plenty of instances of a toy fair product not making it to shelves in the end (for example the Fang figure from Hagrids Hut).

No, but it would confirm that it was at least intended to release as of the Toy Fair, which would debunk the "cancelled months ago" claim which as a whole damages the (still likely but not proven) claim that the set has been definitively cancelled.

I couldn't quite follow it now, is it a fact that it comes from the toy fair, isn't it?

To me, the pictures looked as if a server had just tidied up the Lego management meeting room during a break, where the box art of the Indy figures was being presented and then took a quick, secret photo from a distance with a smartphone that was extremely zoomed had to. or something like that :-D

15 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

I couldn't quite follow it now, is it a fact that it comes from the toy fair, isn't it?

To me, the pictures looked as if a server had just tidied up the Lego management meeting room during a break, where the box art of the Indy figures was being presented and then took a quick, secret photo from a distance with a smartphone that was extremely zoomed had to. or something like that :-D

I like that theory :) 

I'm no graphics expert, but I feel like it's from a screen rather than actual boxes?  There's some graininess in the pics that I don't think are from the camera.

I find this part fun; the detective work and figuring out Easter Eggs and being delighted at others' ingenuity.  It should be lighthearted silliness, but sometimes the leaks get people too invested.  This is something we can MOC ourselves.  I have the ToD bridge scene by combining Han Solo on the Monkee Kid bridge set with a CMF and an alligator.  You can MOC adult oriented material by mixing figures and playing with who the actor is in more kid-friendly roles.  I want the mine cart run, but maybe Gringotts (and just teased Donkey Kong?) will have one that I can get after market.  Of the plastic model sets, I'm happy to be a Lego fan because while the themes are fun for hype, I can do it myself with minor tweaks.

3 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Just to be sure, the three sets are still coming out April 1 right?

At SmythsToys and LEGO from April, in general trade from June 1st. That's what the catalog teaser said, but after everything that's happened in the last few days and weeks, I won't believe it until I've seen it...

1 hour ago, Legofan2001 said:

The extra hair-hat mold in each set also IMO points to the Indy 5 sets/Temple of Doom being canned. Also it’s bizarre that we’re just over 3 weeks from release and still not even a HINT about Indy from lego.

DoD sets would have him with grey hair, tho

7 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

DoD sets would have him with grey hair, tho

Like others mentioned Indy 5 is having flashback scenes and time travel so it’s not out of the question that some of the sets could’ve been flashback based. 

11 hours ago, Plissken said:

The Osprey had a part destroying mechanism. The uproar about the vehicle being military came pretty handy for them. They never mentioned this design flaw.

So what, Lego would rather admit that their incompetence lay with the failure to adhere to their own in-house ethics, and not their ability to confidently present a finished product? Frankly neither is a good look and I'm glad that choice wasn't my problem.

This whole debacle is brilliant, because several people are adamant that it couldn't possibly be X or Y but can't come up with a logical reason why it would be Z, and all the while we'll most likely never find out the real answer because Lego has no obligation to tell anyone.

2 hours ago, Legofan2001 said:

Also it’s bizarre that we’re just over 3 weeks from release and still not even a HINT about Indy from lego.

Brickshop.eu says June

SmythsToys says April.

Normally I would now say that that could have been a mistake, maybe the release was originally planned exclusively at SmythsToys from April, the inlay was in the LEGO catalog in the middle, but has now been postponed.

Furthermore, we don't have any dates, if that was a mistake or if something has changed in the meantime and the sets won't be released until June, that would explain both LEGO's silence, as there would still be enough time, and maybe a later release of the DoD sets, for example in August.

The April and June dates were never officially confirmed.

But why should some retailers get the goods in mid-February or early March?

No retailer keeps goods in stock for 3-4 months that he is not allowed to sell?

Any of our Dutch friends know if Brickshop typically gets exclusives and/or Dutch get delayed releases? E.g., Target and Walmart in the U.S. get exclusives for a time/permanently, which is not happening for Indy based on random early sales, but the size of the American market might not translate to other countries.