Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

2 minutes ago, spiderfan2000 said:

If we don't get any DoD sets, I might start wondering if LEGO has something against Mads Mikkelsen...

It‘s personal at this point. He‘s the most famous Danish actor at the moment, made appearances in FIVE franchises TLG has a license for, and we still don‘t have a single minifig of any of his characters *huh*

1 hour ago, Portal Out said:

Sent you a link to their profile.

Could ye provide me with a link too, please?

Lego Indiana Jones was relaunched based on the new film, the sets for the first films were intended to cheer the franchise on a bit and is usually fan service, the main wave comes to the film. Little is known about why, because of course you don't want to spoil the film.

Based on past experiences, LEGO is unfortunately capable of a lot of crazy nonsense, but cancel the DoD wave? That would be a new form of stupidity.

54 minutes ago, strangely said:

I also really don't buy these rumors of DOD sets being cancelled. It feels like the 'leakers' are just playing a game of telephone and DOT became DOD at some point.

Agreed.

23 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

Based on past experiences, LEGO is unfortunately capable of a lot of crazy nonsense, but cancel the DoD wave? That would be a new form of stupidity.

I wasn’t too heart broken when the cancellation rumors first started because I wasn’t really a fan of the leaked sets, but now that we have good pics, it’s a pretty big loss. These are some of the most detailed sets we’ve gotten from a play theme in years, and only getting three of the eight that were designed would be a massive fumble on Lego’s end.

I get where they’re coming from with the Temple of Doom cancellation situation and it looks like that’s gonna be the case, but the rumors about canceling the DoD wave are just plain sad.

7 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

You might want to take that down, @LB2341. It breaks the community guidelines to include any pictures of leaks on this site, even in memes.

Whoops! I forgot about that! Thanks for taking care of it.

12 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That‘s what worries me. This is our last chance to get Indy sets, so they better deliver on KotCS, ToD, and DoD! And missing stuff from RotlA and TlC too :tongue:

I hope the theme sticks around for at least another year before retiring again, this time for good

Jurassic Park is getting another wave. The last Jurassic  movie came out last year. If the Indy sets sell well, then hopefully

If there were no Dial of Destiny sets, this would truly be the lamest revival of a LEGO theme ever — three sets from only two out of five movies, that will probably randomly appear on Shop@Home without any sort of reveal :tongue:

3 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

If there were no Dial of Destiny sets, this would truly be the lamest revival of a LEGO theme ever — three sets from only two out of five movies, that will probably randomly appear on Shop@Home without any sort of reveal :tongue:

That's the sad thing about it.
If a Lego Star Wars, Lego Jurassic World, or Lego Harry Potter wave or set is canceled, that's also sad for the fans, but the next one will come at least a few months later. With Indy it is in all probability simply the very last chance :,-(
After 14 years of waiting!

24 minutes ago, Portal Out said:

I wasn’t too heart broken when the cancellation rumors first started because I wasn’t really a fan of the leaked sets, but now that we have good pics, it’s a pretty big loss. These are some of the most detailed sets we’ve gotten from a play theme in years, and only getting three of the eight that were designed would be a massive fumble on Lego’s end.

I get where they’re coming from with the Temple of Doom cancellation situation and it looks like that’s gonna be the case, but the rumors about canceling the DoD wave are just plain sad.

I would totally agree with that.

I just have a very bad feeling at the moment, despite the euphoria of the last 24 hours.

To me it looks like an Osprey Revival, first delivery then cancellation?

Lego still hasn't officially announced, confirmed, or denied anything.

Lego is said to have even said that the first leaked images should not have appeared at all.

Now, Lego is said to have soured that it wasn't their fault the sets were released so early.

Then there are rumors of DoD cancellation, which would only make sense if you never released anything at all or canceled everything.

All a bit frustrating at the moment.

I hope that tomorrow or in the coming days there will finally be an official statement from Lego, and/or an official announcement.

Maybe it's just the almost uncontrollable impatience that frustrates me, but sometimes I have the impression that there has rarely been such chaos as with the Indy Set series release.

Edited by DrHenryJonesJr
Forgot Quote

They're not going to do any official announcement about the DoD sets except to say that they're coming (assuming they are).  Nothing was ever confirmed by LEGO (same with the ToD), so there would be no reason for them to talk about cancelling sets unless they were actually unveiled officially.  If anything is cancelled, the only way we're ever going to hear about it would be through a Q&A with designers.

I saw someone say that one of the boxes has a pic of the ToD set.  If that's the case, I'm wondering if it's cancelled and it was too late to remake the boxes (so any subsequent production of these sets will remove that) or if it'll be delayed.

Also, has anyone figured out where exactly the sets were spotted?  I've seen two different store pictures, and both seemed to be in America?  Neither of them looked like big box retails, it appeared to be smaller, independent toy stores.  Has anyone seen any info on where they were obtained?

1 minute ago, Kit Figsto said:

They're not going to do any official announcement about the DoD sets except to say that they're coming (assuming they are). 

I also meant an official April Wave announcement.

Precisely the fact that nothing has come up yet makes me so nervous for exactly these reasons, precisely because nothing has been officially confirmed, so nothing can be revoked or denied.

8 hours ago, Anak said:

I noticed something strange on the front boxart of the plane chase set. To me the digital art suggest that the car is missing it's tires and the car is running just the rims. Or hovers.

Maybe it would be a mould like this

48 minutes ago, LB2341 said:

Whoops! I forgot about that! Thanks for taking care of it.

A moderator removed it.... I didn't do anything.

41 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

I also meant an official April Wave announcement.

Precisely the fact that nothing has come up yet makes me so nervous for exactly these reasons, precisely because nothing has been officially confirmed, so nothing can be revoked or denied.

Whilst I agree with this, I also don’t think it’s something that can just be brushed under the carpet. Historically, have Lego ever released a wave of sets from older films to coincide with the release of a sequel, but then never release any actual sets based on the sequel itself? I suppose No Way Home sort of counts, but that was an overarching issue all licensees had with Marvel / Sony due to how secretive the film itself was. Plus we are getting an actual NWH set this year.

What’s going on is just weird really. Clearly Lego were going to repeat their strategy  from Avatar with Indy - release a handful of sets from the classic movie(s) and then have another wave for the new film. Even the time gaps are somewhat consistent - the initial Avatar wave released in October last year, with the Way of Water sets subsequently releasing 3 months later in January, literally just after the film released. That sort of gap makes sense with Indy as well - first wave in April and then another wave 3 months later in July - right after DoD hits cinemas at the end of June. It makes too much sense.

It does make you wonder what merits cancelling an entire wave of sets. They can’t all just have design flaws, so perhaps the villains being Nazis again plays a role? Or perhaps the film constantly being delayed combined with Lucasfilm being notoriously secretive meant the sets were no longer film accurate at all? Who knows.

DoD is my most anticipated film out of the year, I’m so bummed out at the prospect of not getting any sets for it. Without coming off as hyperbolic, I consider the handling of this theme to be Lego’s biggest screwup in recent memory. But I shall still hold out hope that the official announcement of the April wave will lay matters to rest.

Edited by Kaijumeister

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

It‘s personal at this point. He‘s the most famous Danish actor at the moment, made appearances in FIVE franchises TLG has a license for, and we still don‘t have a single minifig of any of his characters *huh*

five? i can only think of hp, star wars, this, and marvel?

3 minutes ago, Surge said:

five? i can only think of hp, star wars, this, and marvel?

Bond, I assume?

Getting a playset of THAT scene would be quite something, tho

29 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

It does make you wonder what merits cancelling an entire wave of sets. They can’t all just have design flaws, so perhaps the villains being Nazis again plays a role? Or perhaps the film constantly being delayed combined with Lucasfilm being notoriously secretive meant the sets were no longer film accurate at all? Who knows.

The pilot in the plane set is a Nazi though. 

Here's my theory, which is JUST A THEORY.

Lego began production, initially, of the 4 April sets and a later wave for Indy 5. At some point, someone with authority within lego decided that the ToD set was too controversial/ist/phobic, and snowballed it into cancelling the theme. Since the other 3 April sets weren't as controversial as the TOD set, and further along in production, they were allowed to release, just to recoup some money.

Now what I HOPE is the case is that the TOD set has a design flaw, and the DOD sets are just an example of lego managing to keep leaks secret. But lego has made enough baffling decisions recently, and I think it's honestly more likely at this point that something like the above is what happened.

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

Also, has anyone figured out where exactly the sets were spotted?  I've seen two different store pictures, and both seemed to be in America?  Neither of them looked like big box retails, it appeared to be smaller, independent toy stores.  Has anyone seen any info on where they were obtained?

It looks to be a retail chain store called Learning Express. I believe the first leaked picture came from a store in Pennsylvania, but I'm not sure if the later pics came from sets bought at that same location or not. Makes me wonder if any other locations put them out early...

22 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Bond, I assume?

Yes. I know it's kind of cheating as Le Chiffre wouldn't make any sense in a Speed Champions set, but they still have the Craig era 007 license, so in my mind, it counts :laugh_hard: 

12 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Lego began production, initially, of the 4 April sets and a later wave for Indy 5. At some point, someone with authority within lego decided that the ToD set was too controversial/ist/phobic, and snowballed it into cancelling the theme. Since the other 3 April sets weren't as controversial as the TOD set, and further along in production, they were allowed to release, just to recoup some money.

Now what I HOPE is the case is that the TOD set has a design flaw, and the DOD sets are just an example of lego managing to keep leaks secret. But lego has made enough baffling decisions recently, and I think it's honestly more likely at this point that something like the above is what happened.

I sincerely hope this isn’t the case, but can also see it being true. One would think this sort decision-making would be done before even setting out to design any sets to begin with!

You’re definitely onto something there with the point about recouping costs by releasing at least 3 more or less finalised and ‘safe’ sets - get some mileage (…or years) out of that new hair / hat piece too. Very interested to see how Lego decides to spin the decision to release 3 Indy sets and retire the theme again after that.

Lego just seems to be dropping the ball more and more lately, or perhaps their mistakes are just becoming more transparent for those of us who are serious enough about collecting to congregate on forums about it. Let’s see how things pan out I suppose, the April wave press release should be pretty telling.

Ugh, if nothing else, I was really looking forward to a cool Greek Tomb set.

Edited by Kaijumeister

I'm really surprised they didn't go ahead and cancel the Nazi plane too considering the pilot is pretty much 100% accurate for the time period's attire.

It feels like this thread is going in circles :laugh: At this point, we just need to wait for the official announcement. New (or returning) themes usually get some sort of press release, and there we should see if they have anything in store for us aside from the three confirmed sets. For example, there has to be a BrickHeadz set too!

We can start panicking if DoD arrives in theatres and we still haven’t heard anything :roflmao:

22 hours ago, Legofan2001 said:

None of the sets have any ads in the instructions or any kind of teasers 😬 I’m more and more convinced each day that Indy is just cancelled but these sets were so far and made that they had to release them. 

I don't think this would be the case, perhaps theres no ads or teasers because the movie was delayed several times?

Hoping Temple of Doom isn't dead forever and it'll come down the line, I'm not hopeful since the set isn't in the booklets. Wish we knew what was going on lol...