Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

There's a slightly cleaned up image on reddit. You can definitly.make out some specific details there. 

11 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

There's a slightly cleaned up image on reddit. You can definitly.make out some specific details there. 

What subreddit?

Shame the plane set doesn't include the goat pen where they crash the biplane, with plenty of goats or the seagulls of course.

Edited by Agent Kallus

14 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Shame the plane set doesn't include the goat pen where they crash the biplane, with plenty of goats or the seagulls of course.

You put a goat in the leaked medieval market set, he'll eat for a day. You give him a goat battle pack in set 77012 and he'll eat for the rest of his life.

This diorama looks pretty real to me.

Yeah, now it makes sense.

The image was incomplete because of a black strap pattern, and someone thought it would be a good idea to "complete" it :tongue:

Still not sure if I like it tho. Seems like too much is going on, especially for a diorama.

8 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Still not sure if I like it tho. Seems like too much is going on, especially for a diorama.

Agreed. The scene feels really squished together with no room to breathe, but then again I'm not sure how they could have rectified that without cutting out some of the sequence.

My big issue is that the colors are too vibrant. I like the usage of sand green but pairing it with turquoise is too overpowering for the source material, and I absolutely don't understand why they went with bright green for the foliage.

Seeing the Temple Escape diorama and looking again at the other sets... I think my main issue is how these sets (the two larger ones especially) feel less like new sets based on the movies and more like remakes of the original 2008-9 line. 

And the issue with that is that LEGO in 2023 is fundamentally different than they were in 2008, and trying to remake a 2008 set with 2023 sensibilities didn't work out super well in my opinion. They're clearly trying to go for an approach that's smaller and more detailed, but that doesn't really work when the base designs they're working off of prioritized a larger-than-life play experience over accuracy. The Temple of Doom is the biggest offender, with the set feeling undercooked and the higher level of detail barely being felt when the temple is so small, but the Temple Escape also feels the same with the same structure as the original set but more squished and (seemingly) without the boulder track.

The exception to this is the Escape from the Lost Tomb, but that set has it's own problems (it's just a f#cking wall).

29 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

without the boulder track.

My biggest concern about that set. :pir-cry_sad:

What are the odds that the boulder isn’t seen in its starting position, more like halfway in that photo, and it starts closer to the tree giving more of a 10 stud track than a 5 stud one? Right now it’s basically just a drop down to the entrance and unless they have a feature so that a minifigure can jump out of the way just in time I don’t see what the point is! 

The other set leaks have grown on me since first impressions though so I’ll wait and let this one do the same 

Something about the three playsets has me thinking now that the old sets were designed as LEGO sets, while the new ones look more like conventional toys simply converted into LEGO.

Idk, maybe (or probably) it's my nostalgia goggles, but that's just what it feels like.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Yeah, now it makes sense.

The image was incomplete because of a black strap pattern, and someone thought it would be a good idea to "complete" it :tongue:

Oooooh. That's pretty funny actually. Had us all scratching our heads yesterday, lol.

Ah ha! Mystery solved. Two quotes on this one and the Raiders logo.

Yes, it looks compact, but it actually has a sizeable footprint, to the point where bigger might make it less manageable, and fewer details would likely lose a lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing what mechanisms they have. I hope it's not just static, but they've done something fun across the entire run.

I’m going to wait for better/official pictures before I come to any conclusions, but like others I am a little befuddled at both the sheer vibrancy of the colour scheme and at how ostensibly small that boulder track (and the rest of it, really) is. It probably doesn’t help for the overall wow-factor of the set that half of the picture is black bars hahaha

I’ve managed to not have any expectations for this series but can’t help but still be majorly excited for this line. I think it will be like many others lines where the anticipation will not live up to the product but I will still be in line to purchase these day 1.

1 hour ago, KuhlAidMan said:

I’ve managed to not have any expectations for this series but can’t help but still be majorly excited for this line. I think it will be like many others lines where the anticipation will not live up to the product but I will still be in line to purchase these day 1.

Hear hear. I’m still excited for the return of this theme even if most of what we’ve seen hasn’t wowed me as much as I’d hoped. 

2 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

The new Dial of Destiny Super Bowl spot is fantastic, Voller’s plane is definitely going to be a set I’m sure. 

With a play feature to drop indy out of it. However the movie turns out, there's definately some good set material.

With 43217 Carl's House from Up being newly revealed, I'm wondering if that same hat/hair piece used for Russell will be used for Short Round.

8 hours ago, jjr_2009 said:

With 43217 Carl's House from Up being newly revealed, I'm wondering if that same hat/hair piece used for Russell will be used for Short Round.

In the leaked photos for the Temple of Doom it looks like the regular baseball cap to me.

On 2/16/2023 at 3:08 AM, strangely said:

In the leaked photos for the Temple of Doom it looks like the regular baseball cap to me.

Yeah I had another look at the leaked image and also think it’s the regular one unfortunately.

@FoggyFate Wanted to ask, were you implying in the Lego Star Wars thread that the Dial of Destiny sets will be lacklustre?

I’m late to the party, but like a lot of others have said in this thread, the leaked Indy sets pictures (thus far) lack the “wow” factor for me. From what I can make out, I do *like* them, I just don’t *love* them. They’re all good sets with some good looking minifigures, there’s just something about them that feels off that I can’t quite explain. Maybe it’s the colors. They are a bit more vibrant than I expected, though that means they’ll be more visually interesting as display pieces. These sets actually remind me a lot of the modern Harry Potter ones where they have a strong emphasis on locations and they give you a lot of bang for your buck in the minifig department.

In any case, I still plan to collect this whole theme. I’m just not in quite as big of a hurry as I initially expected.

All three sets have grown on me, and I assume the fourth one will too once we can see it better. 

Does anyone else feel like the sets don’t fit together aesthetically? Like maybe LEGO’s using this as a trial to see which direction (if any) to take the theme in the future? Temple of Doom feels like a Ninjago type play set (I’m half expecting the giant statue to be removable and posable as it’s own figure) and Plane Chase feels very Speed Champions inspired, Temple Escape obviously is taking the star wars diorama route, and the Well of Souls is somehow unlike any set I’ve seen before. 

I don’t think they’ll look necessarily bad next to each other but it’s a lot of bold and contrasting choices 

I definitely think it’s the colors that are off. Having vibrant polished colors that have come to defined the Lego palette over the years works for stuff like Harry Potter because it’s whimsical and magical. But Indy has always been a grittier and darker film series and tonally I don’t think these sets replicate that vibe. Yes they are campy and pulpy tributes to the serials and very tongue in cheek, but the actual environments are way more grounded. That’s why the older sets work better imo, the color palette back in 2009 was a bit more drab. And the citreon seems to be the best received set of them all for that reason. Like look at the Well of Souls, those Anubis statues have these bright gold very clean statues that are supposed to be from a thousand year tomb, there’s no wear or tear. The statue in the Temple is borderline furry looking with all this bright red. The Temple Escape set is not too bad from what I see besides the palm trees and stuff. I think there’s good sets in these sets if they toned them down a bit. These are adventure sets, yet everything feels so polished and sanitized. 

Edited by RODDY

2 hours ago, RODDY said:

The Temple Escape set is not too bad from what I see besides the palm trees and stuff.

Actually, Temple Escape is the only set I feel is too bright - too many different tones of green that stand out too much and almost make the environment unnatural. I believe the set could look better if it was only one shade of green (two at most), but we cannot judge it completely until better pictures show up.

@The Stud Pretty much my viewpoint as well. From the initial pictures, these sets certainly do scream a priority on ‘film tie-in’ rather than solid, well designed sets in their own right. Yet most of us will still buy these because, hey, Indy’s back!

All things considered, the Harry Potter reboot of all themes has really set the standard (for the most part) for licensed themes that seem like there’s genuine effort and attention to detail put into them instead of coasting on the fact that people will just buy these because they’re based on a popular property. I’m still optimistic about the Indy lineup having some positive surprises once the HQ images release though, and eagerly await more info on the DoD wave.

At least these sets are all system scale unlike the buildable object / sculpture mania other licensed themes are indulging in this year.

Edited by Kaijumeister