Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

9 hours ago, Nerdynews said:

No. It's just funny to me how much people clown people for believing rumors that turn out to be true and don't apologize because their supersized ego won't allow it

This has nothing to do with ego. If you aspire to be a leaker, you first need to prove yourself by providing info that is next to impossible to guess, say a couple of set names or a list of prices and piece counts. Otherwise, lucky impostors just get a free pass.

Look at the aforementioned Kingnono: People believed his nonsense because he  initially got a small handful of things right :tongue:

As I kept saying since the set was revealed to be 18+, the only viable options were this diorama or a brickbuilt idol. And most people agreed with that idea, so guessing it correctly was extremy likely. Changing the story midway through was also very sussy.

I do apologise for calling them a doofus, but I don’t accept them as a leaker unless they can prove it without a shadow of a doubt :laugh:

9 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

I am surprised it's smaller to be honest but if everything is included then I won't complain. As long as it has the entrance, spider area, boulder feature, hole in the ground with drop down wall, spears that shoot out the wall on the fake floor and treasure room I'll be happy, but that just seems a lot to include if it is going to be smaller than the original version.

I forgot to say it, the 7623 is like 75 studs long.

22 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Interesting that the rumor states the diorama will have "3 sections": maybe they'll be set at 45⁰ angles like in the 2008 set? That could also explain why this one apparently includes two quote tiles, have the LEGO Indy logo tile on the center section and one quote each for the left and right sections.

Okay, based off of this, my guess is that it'll be the left section featuring the entrance and boulder (I'm not sure if we're getting a skeleton or not, since that may or may not be included in the minifigure list?  It seems like sometimes they count skeletons, other times they don't, so it's still possible the set includes one).  I assume this section also probably has to include the closing door, since that's an easy way to also have the boulder track suspended in the air, like the 2008 set had it.  The middle section probably features the rope swing pit, and maybe the arrow platform.  I'm assuming the right side will either be entirely focused on the idol room, or will be the idol room plus the arrow platforms.  I would say it depends on whether or not the three sections are equal in length, or if the middle is shorter.

So I was just thinking about some of the other LEGO 2023 sets to see if there was anything that could be applicable to LEGO Indy or vice-versa, and I recalled that the upcoming LEGO Sonic sets will apparantly feature a new large ball element to represent the spindash from that series, along with (presumably based from the description) new pieces to allow the ball to stay on and roll through a course. Is it possible we could see this system (or at least the ball) make an early appearance in 77105 for the Boulder chase section of the diorama?

Didn't promo bricks say the boulder would be brick built?  I hope it's not as it probably would just look really clunky.

2 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

I hope it's not as it probably would just look really clunky.

It would increase the piece count, making that leaked one more believable (personally, I would like to see a single piece ball).

I love Hachiroku's diorama of this, and the brick-built boulder looks OK to me. It would be great to incorporate more slopes and curves to it than just a traditional LEGO brick-built ball, and would also allow colour variety. But yes, it wouldn't roll very well (if at all), so depends on whether they are prioritizing play/functionality. The Technic ball seems too smooth and uniform to my eyes.

3 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

I love Hachiroku's diorama of this, and the brick-built boulder looks OK to me. It would be great to incorporate more slopes and curves to it than just a traditional LEGO brick-built ball, and would also allow colour variety. But yes, it wouldn't roll very well (if at all), so depends on whether they are prioritizing play/functionality. The Technic ball seems too smooth and uniform to my eyes.

I suppose given it is a diorama it will be aimed at adults so then play features will not be a priority, I mean we've only got to look at the previous dioramas released and non of those have play features.  

Edited by Legoman123

If it has play features I think nostalgia would win me over and I’d buy it. I don’t think I’d spend that much on a static representation of such a dynamic scene. Can’t wait to see it either way. 

34 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

I mean we've only got to look at the previous dioramas released and non of those have play features.  

The Trash Compactor diorama does have a play feature though :tongue:

On 1/19/2023 at 12:02 AM, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I'm still not sure if this diorama needed to cost 150€. 

I mean, it feels kind of like overdoing it.

Totally agree. The original set cost less than half and it still holds up design wise (imo). There's definitely gonna be a ton of small pieces adding a lot of detail, but again, the original set gets the point across without them. I could see a more modernised set pushing 100€, but 150€ is definitely overdoing it. 

Maybe if they include some elaborate hidden functions and/or mechanisms, that could be neat, but it really just seems like they're trying to squeeze as much money as possible from the most iconic scene in the series.

23 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The Trash Compactor diorama does have a play feature though :tongue:

True, but a very simplistic one non the less, this scene is full of features that in all honesty need to make this set worth while.  All the crazy thing that happened in the opening scene of raiders are why it is so popular and interesting in the first place Imo.

1 hour ago, Alegrispa said:

Totally agree. The original set cost less than half and it still holds up design wise (imo). There's definitely gonna be a ton of small pieces adding a lot of detail, but again, the original set gets the point across without them. I could see a more modernised set pushing 100€, but 150€ is definitely overdoing it. 

Maybe if they include some elaborate hidden functions and/or mechanisms, that could be neat, but it really just seems like they're trying to squeeze as much money as possible from the most iconic scene in the series.

I wouldn't say it's overdoing it, you have to take into account inflation of lego over the last decade. I mean the Henry Jones Motorcycle chase cost £8.99 when it released but now you would probably expect to pay £20 in all honesty.  Taking inflation into account with the higher piece count probably means the price is right.  

5 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

True, but a very simplistic one non the less, this scene is full of features that in all honesty need to make this set worth while.  All the crazy thing that happened in the opening scene of raiders are why it is so popular and interesting in the first place Imo.

I wouldn't say it's overdoing it, you have to take into account inflation of lego over the last decade. I mean the Henry Jones Motorcycle chase cost £8.99 when it released but now you would probably expect to pay £20 in all honesty.  Taking inflation into account with the higher piece count probably means the price is right.  

I'm aware price per piece is a hotly debated topic, but when it comes to piece/price ratio this new set has ~3 times as many pieces and costs ~3 times as much.

I don't really see inflation as the issue with this, just overkill on the level of detail (judging by the amount of pieces), which also drives the price up. What I (and I assume THELEGOBATMAN are/)am saying is that it's needlessly 150€ when a smaller set would've sufficed and also been more accessible to more people price wise.

Really hoping the set isn't an exclusive and I can find it discounted somewhere a couple months after release.

There's also a new leak, more detailed descriptions of the sets. I'm guessing we'll see pictures any day now.

Edited by Alegrispa

3 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

There's also a new leak, more detailed descriptions of the sets. I'm guess we'll see pictures pretty soon.

A ball made of Technic parts, a dome covering the whole thing, a "crystal skull"? The translation algorithm was having a field day with this it seems :laugh_hard:

1 hour ago, Alegrispa said:

I'm aware price per piece is a hotly debated topic, but when it comes to piece/price ratio this new set has ~3 times as many pieces and costs ~3 times as much.

I don't really see inflation as the issue with this, just overkill on the level of detail (judging by the amount of pieces), which also drives the price up. What I (and I assume THELEGOBATMAN are/)am saying is that it's needlessly 150€ when a smaller set would've sufficed and also been more accessible to more people price wise.

Really hoping the set isn't an exclusive and I can find it discounted somewhere a couple months after release.

There's also a new leak, more detailed descriptions of the sets. I'm guess we'll see pictures any day now.

Where are you finding these descriptions?

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

A ball made of Technic parts, a dome covering the whole thing, a "crystal skull"? The translation algorithm was having a field day with this it seems :laugh_hard:

Lol, seriously.

2 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

Where are you finding these descriptions?

The legoleak subreddit.

8 hours ago, Alegrispa said:

Lol, seriously.

The legoleak subreddit.

I've just read the, honestly it sounds very interesting.  My only concern is that the temple escape will not have the drop down door Indi sneaks under or more importantly the trap floor tiles that shoot out arrows.  I feel at least the latter one is absolutely necessary.  Whilst it mentions the boulder it does not mention how this will be a play feature at all.  

On a side note what is with the dome illuminating a crystal skull for?  This is a Raiders set not KOTCS.

Sounds like something translated a thousand times into incomprehensiblity.

I won't believe it till a more verified leaker reposts it.

It's because the author uses really informal language, also mixing it with English words. Took the liberty of translating it more correctly (without changing too much tho, so it's still not well-written).

77012 Fighter Plane Chase

The set includes three figures: Indiana Jones with an open jacket and a tie, a new hat mould, and an interesting faceprint, Henry Jones Senior, and a sand green fighter pilot with a classic pilot hat. In addition to a simple sand green plane, covered with stickers and with a printed airing, the set will also include a Speed Champions-esque Citroën with a chest in the back.

77013 Escape from the Lost Tomb 

It's a remake of a set from 2008 — 7621. The set depicts the tomb from the first Indiana Jones movie, where the Ark of the Covenant was hidden. The set includes four minifigures : Indiana Jones, Marion Ravenwood in her torn dress, Sallah, and a (brown) mummy. The tomb consists of two rooms — the main one with the Ark of the Covenant, golden arches, and walls covered with (stickered) hieroglyphs. There are two cat statues in the middle, one of them covering a secret passage.

77014 Temple of Doom 

Remake of a set from 2009 – 7199. The set includes six figures: Indiana Jones with an open shirt, Willie Scott, Short Round, Mola Ram, a Thugee cultist, and a Maharaja guard. In the middle there's a statue of a six-armed goddess, with a hatch for making sacrifices, and the whole build will be surrounded by tracks, on which there are two 2×4 mine carts. The background scenery of the build is basically just a rock.

77015 The Temple Escale Diorama

The set will have a black frame as its base, like the ones from Star Wars dioramas, and include four minifigures: Indiana Jones (same as the one in 77013), Dr. René Émile Belloq with a revolver, a native with a printed loincloth on his legs and a necklace, and Satipo with a printed shirt and an interesting faceprint. The diorama consists of three parts: the entrance, the passage over the abyss, and the vault. The treasury includes a pedestal with a skull [the author confused the Idol with a skull, hence the confusion], and behind it there's a huge brickbuilt Idol face. The walls are brown and covered with weeds, and the whole thing is covered with a dome, at the top of which there's a light brick illuminating the Idol. Above the passage there is a ball made out of Technic pieces, and the whole tunnel uses grey pieces. The entrance to the cave uses dark orange pieces, with the addition of tan ones representing sand, and there's also a skeleton lying at the entrance.

The sets release in April. The next four sets will release after the movie premieres.

@THELEGOBATMAN: That definitely makes more sense, thanks for translating!

So there is a light brick involved! Makes sense, as the Idol is illuminated in the movie. I hope they still use the awesome piece from 2008, rather than a printed minifig head or some other cheap nonsense, like a pearl gold piece :laugh_hard:

Luckily, metal gold is still alive and well!

5 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

It's because the author uses really informal language, also mixing it with English words. Took the liberty of translating it more correctly (without changing too much tho, so it's still not well-written).

77012 Fighter Plane Chase

The set includes three figures: Indiana Jones with an open jacket and a tie, a new hat mould, and an interesting faceprint, Henry Jones Senior, and a sand green fighter pilot with a classic pilot hat. In addition to a simple sand green plane, covered with stickers and with a printed airing, the set will also include a Speed Champions-esque Citroën with a chest in the back.

77013 Escape from the Lost Tomb 

It's a remake of a set from 2008 — 7621. The set depicts the tomb from the first Indiana Jones movie, where the Ark of the Covenant was hidden. The set includes four minifigures : Indiana Jones, Marion Ravenwood in her torn dress, Sallah, and a (brown) mummy. The tomb consists of two rooms — the main one with the Ark of the Covenant, golden arches, and walls covered with (stickered) hieroglyphs. There are two cat statues in the middle, one of them covering a secret passage.

77014 Temple of Doom 

Remake of a set from 2009 – 7199. The set includes six figures: Indiana Jones with an open shirt, Willie Scott, Short Round, Mola Ram, a Thugee cultist, and a Maharaja guard. In the middle there's a statue of a six-armed goddess, with a hatch for making sacrifices, and the whole build will be surrounded by tracks, on which there are two 2×4 mine carts. The background scenery of the build is basically just a rock.

77015 The Temple Escale Diorama

The set will have a black frame as its base, like the ones from Star Wars dioramas, and include four minifigures: Indiana Jones (same as the one in 77013), Dr. René Émile Belloq with a revolver, a native with a printed loincloth on his legs and a necklace, and Satipo with a printed shirt and an interesting faceprint. The diorama consists of three parts: the entrance, the passage over the abyss, and the vault. The treasury includes a pedestal with a skull [the author confused the Idol with a skull, hence the confusion], and behind it there's a huge brickbuilt Idol face. The walls are brown and covered with weeds, and the whole thing is covered with a dome, at the top of which there's a light brick illuminating the Idol. Above the passage there is a ball made out of Technic pieces, and the whole tunnel uses grey pieces. The entrance to the cave uses dark orange pieces, with the addition of tan ones representing sand, and there's also a skeleton lying at the entrance.

The sets release in April. The next four sets will release after the movie premieres.

Do you think the floor tiles that shoot the arrows out will be a part of this set then or not?

1 hour ago, Legoman123 said:

Do you think the floor tiles that shoot the arrows out will be a part of this set then or not?

I think with a price like that, this set better include every tiny detail.

They've got over 1500 pieces, and it seems like almost to much. If this set misses any key sections of this sequence, it will be pretty disappointing. 

Did anyone else notice that the poster who shared these descriptions on the legoleaks subreddit also commented on that post that Indiana Jones will be retailer-exclusive to Smyth’s in the UK and either Target or Wal-Mart in the US (and of course they’ll be available at LEGO’s site/stores).

Had we heard that before?

14 minutes ago, nicknack116 said:

Did anyone else notice that the poster who shared these descriptions on the legoleaks subreddit also commented on that post that Indiana Jones will be retailer-exclusive to Smyth’s in the UK and either Target or Wal-Mart in the US (and of course they’ll be available at LEGO’s site/stores).

Had we heard that before?

Interesting. Iirc the same was the case for the first wave of the Harry Potter reboot in 2018 (which was also a wave of all remakes that shortly preceded a wave of sets for a new franchise addition).

I imagine it could be like that line, where it was a timed exclusive for the first several months until it was clear the sets were a success, at which point they became more available.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews