Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

4 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I mean, it makes sense. Indy 5 and avatar both have new movies coming out, which is guaranteed to draw at least some attention to sets. (Personally I do not think avatar 2 will do as well as everyone seems to think it will, though). LOTR has... an adult-oriented show that'll have been out for half a year or more by the time the sets release. Kids aren't gonna know about LOTR in the way it was in the general audience's mind when the Hobbit movies were releasing.

I know they're clearly aiming for an adult audience who is nostalgic for the OG movie trilogy but still if they had a line of 4 relative expensive sets ranging from a 80-130 price range then that would be great. As I said before the way they went about it disappoints me. 

Edited by Pulp Detective

3 hours ago, Pulp Detective said:

I know they're clearly aiming for an adult audience who is nostalgic for the OG movie trilogy but still if they had a line of 4 relative expensive sets ranging from a 80-130 price range then that would be great. As I said before the way they went about it disappoints me. 

No, you're right. They do make sets for adults now besides UCS. Some diorama type sets would definately work within their wheelhouse.

19 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

Are we aware if this theme is going to continue after the initial wave?  Personally I am hoping it will as there is so many areas that were never covered from the first four movies.  I would love to see something based off of The Last Crusade with the invisible bridge and the Holy Knight. 

Ah, I would LOOOVE a set with the bridge and the knight! Good call!!

Interesting how they're following the same formula with this theme as they did with Avatar.A wave two months before the movie that consists sets based on older movies and then a wave after the movies releases that is based in said movie.

2 hours ago, Pulp Detective said:

Interesting how they're following the same formula with this theme as they did with Avatar.A wave two months before the movie that consists sets based on older movies and then a wave after the movies releases that is based in said movie.

I've been saying it for forever: out of the two themes (maybe even LOTR too), only one will become evergreen or semi-evergreen.

27 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I've been saying it for forever: out of the two themes (maybe even LOTR too), only one will become evergreen or semi-evergreen.

Evergreen?I doubt it,semi?Maybe.

Since I don't care about Avatar and considering the direction TLG is taking with LOTR I'd be in favour for Indy being semi-evergreen.

I think the trouble with the Indy theme is that it doesn't have the same amount of source material that Star Wars, Marvel, DC (yes, I realize LEGO is massively underutilizing the DC theme at the moment), Disney Princesses, or even Harry Potter has.  

With Indy, there's only the 5 movies, and the fact that the series doesn't necessarily lend itself to sets as well as others.  I can only think of a handful of vehicles/locations/scenes that haven't been made as sets already, so the problem is that there's probably only 5-6 total waves worth of sets even possible, though I guess we don't know what the Indy 5 set potential looks like yet.

However, if they were going to keep it going, they'd pretty much have to do it after this 2023 wave.  Indy is popular, but I don't think it's popular to fully re-boot the theme if there isn't a movie coming out.  Since this is the last one, if the theme doesn't keep going, I think we can assume it's gone, maybe with the exception of some one-off Brickheadz or adult-focused diorama type stuff.

31 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I think the trouble with the Indy theme is that it doesn't have the same amount of source material that Star Wars, Marvel, DC (yes, I realize LEGO is massively underutilizing the DC theme at the moment), Disney Princesses, or even Harry Potter has.  

With Indy, there's only the 5 movies, and the fact that the series doesn't necessarily lend itself to sets as well as others.  I can only think of a handful of vehicles/locations/scenes that haven't been made as sets already, so the problem is that there's probably only 5-6 total waves worth of sets even possible, though I guess we don't know what the Indy 5 set potential looks like yet.

However, if they were going to keep it going, they'd pretty much have to do it after this 2023 wave.  Indy is popular, but I don't think it's popular to fully re-boot the theme if there isn't a movie coming out.  Since this is the last one, if the theme doesn't keep going, I think we can assume it's gone, maybe with the exception of some one-off Brickheadz or adult-focused diorama type stuff.

One thing I was thinking is that it'd be cool if they alternated LOTR and IJ. So one year/half year we get a LOTR wave, the next we get an IJ wave. It would help a few things:

-Afols' wallets. That's not a joke, it's a legitimate concern. People only have so much money, and if lego does a slower flow, they could have greater sales overall, rather than if they push both themes too hard at the same time and they both fail to sell as well and are killed off.

-the source material issue you mention. LOTR has more, but still not enough to do an evergreen theme realistically. (Unless they really dip into RoP, but personally I didn't like it and hope they don't do that)

-Lego's own budget. Both themes would require a bevy of new prints and parts (LOTR might be more heavy in this, but if we're doing Indy right we'd need artifact molds and whatnot), and again restricting the flow could help them.

Obviously with them being owned by different companies it's not like there'd be an official split theme, but it couldn't be that hard for them to do something like that. We know next year Indy is getting system sets and LOTR is getting a D2C, so all they have to do is swap it for 2024.

2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

You forgot the TV show exists, and the show has been referenced in the 4th film with the line about "riding with Pancho Vila"! It has loads of potential, but sadly isn't streaming... anywhere. (Maybe Disney is going to re-release it when the film comes out? One can only hope!)

I think we should be having this conversation after the second wave gets released. Let's see what TLG has to offer next year and then speculate on the future of the theme based on the quality of the sets. 

Besides we still don't know what the 150$ set is all about. 

Edited by Pulp Detective

7 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

It has loads of potential, but sadly isn't streaming... anywhere. 

It’s free in low quality on youtube :)

I’m only halfway through but so far there hasn’t been a whole lot I’d like to see them make sets out of - maybe Phantom Train of Doom? With the hot air balloon? But if they made a Young Indy set about a train it would want to be the circus train instead so that’s not a great option either.

Has the official lego group stance on war-based sets changed in the last 5 years or so? Genuinely curious, I haven’t been keeping up, but the nazi minifigures were already pushing it if I remember correctly.

Very excited to hopefully see these sets soon. Temple of Doom is gonna be a must buy for me regardless of what it looks like because I missed the first one.

Edited by Actor Builder

57 minutes ago, Actor Builder said:

Has the official lego group stance on war-based sets changed in the last 5 years or so? Genuinely curious, I haven’t been keeping up, but the nazi minifigures were already pushing it if I remember correctly.

Well in the OG line the enemy soldiers had no insignia therefore they looked like your average soldier.I'm assuming they'll take the same route this time around.

Edited by Pulp Detective

2 hours ago, Pulp Detective said:

Well in the OG line the enemy soldiers had no insignia therefore they looked like your average soldier.I'm assuming they'll take the same route this time around.

they looked like nazis to anyone who’s seen the movies, but you’re right - no insignias were used. 

I was specifically thinking of how much of the action in Young Indiana Jones is set in battlefields of WWI and how lego doesn’t seem keen to make sets explicitly about war, which makes Young Indiana Jones very difficult to design sets for.

26 minutes ago, Actor Builder said:

they looked like nazis to anyone who’s seen the movies, but you’re right - no insignias were used. 

I was specifically thinking of how much of the action in Young Indiana Jones is set in battlefields of WWI and how lego doesn’t seem keen to make sets explicitly about war, which makes Young Indiana Jones very difficult to design sets for.

I don't think we'll ever see sets based on the YIJ tv show unless disney reboots it.

As for the battlefields,rumor is that the new movie will have time travel shenanigans so maybe there will be war scenes in the movie.If that is the case I'm curious if TLG will recreate those scenes into sets.

Edited by Pulp Detective

11 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

You forgot the TV show exists, and the show has been referenced in the 4th film with the line about "riding with Pancho Vila"! It has loads of potential, but sadly isn't streaming... anywhere. (Maybe Disney is going to re-release it when the film comes out? One can only hope!)

Yeah, I don't think we need to worry about that, the show isn't known or popular, it'd be kind of like star wars sets for the ewok movies.

Though there are rumours of a new spin off, that might get some sets at launch. And then maybe more depending on reception.

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

One thing I was thinking is that it'd be cool if they alternated LOTR and IJ. So one year/half year we get a LOTR wave, the next we get an IJ wave. It would help a few things:

-Afols' wallets. That's not a joke, it's a legitimate concern. People only have so much money, and if lego does a slower flow, they could have greater sales overall, rather than if they push both themes too hard at the same time and they both fail to sell as well and are killed off.

-the source material issue you mention. LOTR has more, but still not enough to do an evergreen theme realistically. (Unless they really dip into RoP, but personally I didn't like it and hope they don't do that)

-Lego's own budget. Both themes would require a bevy of new prints and parts (LOTR might be more heavy in this, but if we're doing Indy right we'd need artifact molds and whatnot), and again restricting the flow could help them.

Obviously with them being owned by different companies it's not like there'd be an official split theme, but it couldn't be that hard for them to do something like that. We know next year Indy is getting system sets and LOTR is getting a D2C, so all they have to do is swap it for 2024.

I like this idea ( though I certainly wouldn't mind RoP sets but each to thier own, may e we'll get something for war of the rohhirrim)

On 11/27/2022 at 3:48 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

I've been saying it for forever: out of the two themes ( indy & Avatar) (maybe even LOTR too), only one will become evergreen or semi-evergreen.

Well in the UK at least, the avatar sets are already crashing and burning, I've not seen the in-person without them being reduced. I might be exaggerating a little but it's certainly not popular with kids over here ... ( As most of us guessed it wouldn't be)

Edited by Agent Kallus
n't

6 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I like this idea ( though I certainly wouldn't mind RoP sets but each to thier own, may e we'll get something for war of the rohhirrim)

An alternate opinion? Unacceptable! 

Jokes aside I'd be ok with a couple sets if we got a large amount of sets for the classic trilogy as well. (Hobbit sets are fine too, though I didn't like the movies as much as the book. A CMF could be fun, with each dwarf and variants of Bilbo and Gandalf.

6 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Well in the UK at least, the avatar sets are already crashing and burning, I've not seen the in-person without them being reduced. I might be exaggerating a little but it's certainly not popular with kids over here ... ( As most of us guessed it wouldn't be)

This seems to be the case in the US as well, just from personal experience. I really don't know what they were thinking releasing them so far ahead of the new movie (or making so many sets. Both Indiana Jones and LOTR have a nostalgia/staying power that Avatar really lacked.)

9 hours ago, Pulp Detective said:

IIRC they were always called "soldier" or "pilot" or "guard" too, it's not like the boxes had "Nazi stormtrooper" or "KGB officer" on them.

12 hours ago, Pulp Detective said:

Well in the OG line the enemy soldiers had no insignia therefore they looked like your average soldier.

Well, Soviet soldiers did have stars on them and fairly accurately coloured outfits.

Regarding the soldier issue,as I said often in the past I don't think the theme will last long and I think one the reasons is the afformationed issue.I have a feeling TLG will do their best to avoid including enemy soldier as much as they can which will result avoiding alot of possible new sets or remakes.

Thus far we have the German pilot in the 77012 set,which they included him because they couldn't avoid it.I believe that the content reveal of the 77015 set will give us a better idea about what path they will follow with this iteration of this theme.If it's the remake of the 7627 I have a feeling they will avoid adding the commie soldiers.

1 hour ago, Pulp Detective said:

they will avoid adding the commie soldiers.

I wonder if this could mean that the 150€$ set has been cancelled, if it's a KotCS set.

I think it's weird that there is no description about that one (maybe it's a D2C set?)

1 hour ago, hachiroku said:

I wonder if this could mean that the 150€$ set has been cancelled, if it's a KotCS set.

I think it's weird that there is no description about that one (maybe it's a D2C set?)

I sincerely hope that’s not the case but certainly a possibility. Big fan of your MOCs by the way!

The resurgence of Indiana Jones is one of my most highly anticipated set waves for next year. It does feel weird for Lego to release the legacy sets in April given that the fifth film comes out in June, however that makes me think that we’ll most likely see the second wave in June too. Still, a 2-month gap between waves seems significantly small unless the wave releases after the film akin to the Avatar: The Way of Water sets.

4 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Well, Soviet soldiers did have stars on them and fairly accurately coloured outfits.

For some reason the commies have never been seen as as big of a nono as the nazis. Always thought it was weird, since the Soviets not only killed more people but killed decades more recently. Not that I'm advocating for lego not making commie figures (or them putting swastikas on children's toys, though more accurate nazis in other costuming ways would be nice).

2 hours ago, hachiroku said:

I don't think so. We have no indication the set was cancelled, one non-leaker (no offense @Pulp Detective) saying they might avoid the commies isn't much of a rumor in that way. I think the reason we don't know what it is is that it's either a D2C like you say, or it was just not seen by whoever saw the other three.

Also love your mocs, especially stuff like the Lizard bigfig and hulkbuster. 

Edited by Mandalorianknight

11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't think so. We have no indication the set was cancelled, one non-leaker (no offense @Pulp Detective) saying they might avoid the commies isn't much of a rumor in that way. I think the reason we don't know what it is is that it's either a D2C like you say, or it was just not seen by whoever saw the other three.

No offense taken I'm just having fun speculating.The 150$ could be a D2C set but I'm having hard time believing it since this is (in a way) a brand new theme,so having such a set this early on sure is surprising.

15 hours ago, hachiroku said:

I think that‘s a stretch. If minifigs of Soviet soldiers are indeed an issue due to recent events, they had plenty of time to remove them from the set and just include Spalko & Dovchenko as the antagonists. And triple agent Mac :tongue:

Speaking of which: Would be really nice to finally have Mac and Oxley as minifigs! If the $150 set is based on KotCS, the chances aren‘t even bad! 

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I think that‘s a stretch. If minifigs of Soviet soldiers are indeed an issue due to recent events, they had plenty of time to remove them from the set and just include Spalko & Dovchenko as the antagonists. And triple agent Mac :tongue:

I also speculated that they might go with named characters instead of soldiers in order to avoid possible controversy.

26 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

$160 set is still coming

That's good to know even though there was no doubt in my mind that it wasn't cancelled.Is this the new price or are you just speculating?