Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

In regards to the plot, I'm pretty hopeful considering James Mangold is directing.  Logan won an Academy Award for the Screenplay and Ford v. Ferrari had a very strong plot/writing, in my opinion.  I looked at one of the plot leaks but it sounds too far fetched (I feel like I might know where the speculation/leak is coming from in that one, see below), haven't looked at the others.

About the time travel leak, I feel like that might be someone speculating in regards to the photos of the set with Indy and the train, which definitely appears to be set in the 30s/40s based.  I think that's going to be a flashback scene for sure.  I also haven't read any other plot leak besides the comment in this thread about time travel, so if this contradicts another leak, please don't tell me because I don't want to know!

Edited by Kit Figsto

On 6/25/2021 at 12:47 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Joke’s on them, I’m already in a cult! It’s the JMOAAHEI (Judging Media Only After Actually Having Experienced It). Still need to work on the acronym. Oh, and there aren’t any other members beside me. Feel free to join though, I have biscuits :snicker:

98138pb037.png

Kind of rude to promote the knock-off in an Indy thread :laugh_hard:

😂 oops - sorry!l Loyal to Johnny Thunder though and would like to see Adventurers with the modern colour palate available.

12 minutes ago, lifeinplastic said:

😂 oops - sorry!l Loyal to Johnny Thunder though and would like to see Adventurers with the modern colour palate available.

Hehe, no worries :laugh: I would also like to see the Adventurers theme return one day, just not at the expense of Indy :snicker:

Apperantly and take this with a grain of salt,Disney is considering rebooting the Young Indiana Jones show for Disney+.If true then maybe Indy5 won't be the end for Indy Lego sets,if ofcourse we get sets for the upcoming movie at all.

18 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Hehe, no worries :laugh: I would also like to see the Adventurers theme return one day, just not at the expense of Indy

Unpopular opinion, but I would much rather have LEGO use their own creativity with Adventurers instead of being bound to a pre-existing franchise that was never intended to sell toys anyways. 

On top of that, unlike Star Wars or Harry Potter, Indiana Jones is rather small franchise, in which there are only a handful of scenes and vehicles they can portray in LEGO form, and after they made those few scenes, there is nothing else to be done except cancel the theme and wait until the next movie or TV Show comes out. With a original theme like Adventurers, they can cover whatever subjects they want, and could hold the line on shelves for an entire decade if they so desire. 

Honestly, I don't even know what a licensed Indiana Jones line of sets can offer me that Adventurers wouldn't. Maybe some semi-realistic WWII solider minifigures? Other than that, there wouldn't be much value to me personally at bringing back Indy at the expense of Adventurers. 

15 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Unpopular opinion, but I would much rather have LEGO use their own creativity with Adventurers instead of being bound to a pre-existing franchise that was never intended to sell toys anyways. 

Agree here, it's a shame LEGO is relegating Castle/Pirates/Space toward some one-off IDEAS (which I doubt we'll see many more of) or the rare 3-in-1, and then would do a full indy line at the expense of Adventurers. 

If there's one movie with a set, fine, but I'd vastly prefer Adventurers over a full line of yet another movies-bound theme/reboot.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Other than that, there wouldn't be much value to me personally at bringing back Indy at the expense of Adventurers. 

It‘s fine to have that opinion, but isn‘t it weird that half of the people contributing to this thread use it to express their wish that Adventurers should return instead? That‘d be like hijacking the Star Wars thread to announce that you‘d rather see the Classic Space theme return :tongue: Or wishing for Harry Potter to be cancelled so Castle can return… in the HP thread :head_back:

Granted, this is just a speculation thread, but still :snicker:

I already stated that I would rather have Adventurers make a comeback instead of Indy but since this isn't happening any time soon (or ever again) I'll take what I can get. 

What would any of you say to licensed Indiana Jones sets that weren't based on specific events and scenes from the films, but instead posited original scenarios implied to be from his various off-screen adventures?

You should ask the Mighty Mouse, not us. No way TLG can do that on their own

As with SW Disney wants to end the old guard and enter their own princess. Let's se what unfortunate kid is going to end up screaming "INDYYYY" for two hours ..

2 hours ago, 1974 said:

You should ask the Mighty Mouse, not us. No way TLG can do that on their own

As with SW Disney wants to end the old guard and enter their own princess. Let's se what unfortunate kid is going to end up screaming "INDYYYY" for two hours ..

I wasn't asking for the forum's permission to have it done, I was asking how we would all feel about such a move if it did happen. Are the local Indy fans solely interested in replicating the existing franchise or would we enjoy a LEGO-based expansion of it?

7 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

Disney is considering rebooting the Young Indiana Jones show for Disney+.If true then maybe Indy5 won't be the end for Indy Lego sets,if ofcourse we get sets for the upcoming movie at all.

A good possibility. One thing that makes me a bit nervous is the fact that Disney permitted Lego to name Slave I set and instead they had to go with the other title. :wacko:

Not sure if it's a good thing, not allowing Lego to make certain sets like Jabba's Palace because it might depict slavery. This could affect Indy too.

(Once again, it's just a quick thought of mine, let's not start a heated argument over this, eh?)

On 6/24/2021 at 3:37 AM, Lego David said:

Yeah, iconic locations that don't even have any recognizable appearance. How did the Temple of Doom look like, again? Oh right, it was just an underground chamber with a stone skull and a human sacrifices pit. Would that be iconic enough to justify making sets based off of? I don't think so, and even if they do, there is no way to make it out outside the playset format. The original 2009 Temple of Doom set was entirely a playset dedicated to a minecart chase gimmick that took a lot of space and barely even looked good on display. 

I mean… they did make a set of it, so…

And what’s wrong with playsets? Isn’t that what we want in a location?

On 6/28/2021 at 8:50 AM, Lego David said:

On top of that, unlike Star Wars or Harry Potter, Indiana Jones is rather small franchise, in which there are only a handful of scenes and vehicles they can portray in LEGO form, and after they made those few scenes, there is nothing else to be done except cancel the theme and wait until the next movie or TV Show comes out. With a original theme like Adventurers, they can cover whatever subjects they want, and could hold the line on shelves for an entire decade if they so desire.

Just FYI, there’s actually more Indiana Jones screen material right now than there was for Star Wars, Toy Story, Middle-Earth, Pirates of the Caribbean, Cars, or any of numerous other franchises had when they first became LEGO themes. Of course many of those have since expanded dramatically and some now have far more material than Indiana Jones, and it’s also true the greater part of the Indy franchise doesn’t have a huge mindshare and isn't likely to ever get much in the way of merch, but FWIW it does exist; there are over 40 hours of filmed Indiana Jones adventures on which they could base sets if they wanted to.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:50 AM, Lego David said:

Honestly, I don't even know what a licensed Indiana Jones line of sets can offer me that Adventurers wouldn't. Maybe some semi-realistic WWII solider minifigures? Other than that, there wouldn't be much value to me personally at bringing back Indy at the expense of Adventurers. 

Well, the Indy franchise offers a lot of stuff outside the scope of what Adventurers does; it’s not all forgotten ancient temples hidden away in deserts and jungles. Indy also has a 20th-century historical milieu that broadly intersects with the sorts of things covered by all sorts of lines, from Adventurers to Architecture to City and modular buildings. And of course there are the characters.

I love Adventurers myself, and hope to see it return, but it’s not like it’s an evergreen anyway. Frankly, those who want it back might yearn for LEGO to revive Indy and for that to do well, since its success would present the best argument for reviving Adventurers once the Indy line is retired again.

On 6/28/2021 at 2:36 PM, Karalora said:

I wasn't asking for the forum's permission to have it done, I was asking how we would all feel about such a move if it did happen. Are the local Indy fans solely interested in replicating the existing franchise or would we enjoy a LEGO-based expansion of it?

I’d be good with it, though I’m not sure how likely it is (beyond the old joke about how LEGO sets might frequently diverge wildly from scenes on which they’re ostensibly based anyway). I think if LEGO were going to use the license at all, they’d prefer to utilize the scenes already in the franchise; otherwise why not do them in Adventurers, when they can do so without license costs?

But I’d be very much up for it personally, especially if they used it to fill out the back story that was planned but never made it to screen, like Indy and Belloq crossing paths in 1920 and 1921.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:50 PM, Lego David said:

It can offer other people detailed minifigures of their favourite characters and building sets of a few scenes from the movie and it can offer LEGO a large number of buyers without the need for much advertising or tge production of tie in media.

10 hours ago, MAB said:

It can offer other people detailed minifigures of their favourite characters and building sets of a few scenes from the movie and it can offer LEGO a large number of buyers without the need for much advertising or tge production of tie in media

Well, an Indiana Jones return does actually need a lot of advertising and tie-in media (the new movie) in order to be successful. Its just that those wouldn't be done by LEGO, but by Disney or whoever is making the new move. 

14 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

And what’s wrong with playsets? Isn’t that what we want in a location?

I would also generally prefer getting playsets myself, but I don't think that is what most AFOLs would want. Most AFOLs would much rather have something detailed and compact they could comfortably put on display and never touch again. The Lord of the Rings sets, for example, were very criticized by fans for being just a bunch of walls thrown together as playsets, with very little display value (with a few notable exceptions, of course, such as the Tower of Orthanc or the Pirate Ship Ambush), and let's be real, the same argument applies to the original line of Indiana Jones as well. I don't particularly mind that myself if those playsets have nice functions or play features, but they are going to bother the people who just want to display their LEGO. 

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

Well, an Indiana Jones return does actually need a lot of advertising and tie-in media (the new movie) in order to be successful. Its just that those wouldn't be done by LEGO, but by Disney or whoever is making the new move. 

And so for LEGO no advertising is necessary.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

And so for LEGO no advertising is necessary.

Exactly. Of course licensed themes usually require current tie-in media to be successful, but it’s not like there’s a new movie coming out or something, now is there :tongue:

Speaking of which: Is it foolish to hope for an announcement of sorts at SDCC? Announcing a theme roughly one year in advance is not unheard of, so maybe there’s a slight chance? :classic:

My favourite theme announcement of all times happened at SDCC after all, namely in 2010 when they snuck a Jack Sparrow prototype minifig into the Prince of Persia display :laugh:

13 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

My favourite theme announcement of all times happened at SDCC after all, namely in 2010 when they snuck a Jack Sparrow prototype minifig into the Prince of Persia display :laugh:

That was confusing as hell - Jack Sparrow on a camel! 😂

While I would love an Adventurers reboot, I’m totally fine with an Indiana Jones reboot. Especially for remakes of the Temple of Doom sets, sure it may not be the strongest film of the series (Personally my favorite is Last Crusade) but the sets from that movie were incredible especially for 2009 standards. Imagine remakes of Shanghai Chase or Temple of Doom or a Club Obi Wan, that would be incredible. Hell Temple of the Holy Grail could easily satisfy that same itch that a remake of Temple of Anubis would. Fingers crossed for new Indiana Jones sets in 2022

On 7/6/2021 at 10:31 PM, RODDY said:

[…] but the sets from that movie were incredible especially for 2009 standards.

Honestly, pretty much all of them were :classic: They‘ve definitely aged well, just like good ol‘ Ford himself :sweet: Though some of the minifigs didn‘t, so that‘s certainly the biggest area of improvement in my book.

It‘s funny to me how some of the minifigs could be rereleased pretty much unchanged nowadays (Mola Ram, the guy that gets steamrolled), while others are severly outdated in their design (Stupido with 2006!Bruce Wayne face or 2004!J.J.J. cosplaying as a nazi soldier twice) or stick out like a sore thumb (Marion, Willie, and Elsa with their blue eyes *huh*)

9 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

J.J.J. cosplaying as a nazi soldier twice

Which one was that? Maybe the topless guy with moustache? :grin:

1 hour ago, Jack Sassy said:

Which one was that? Maybe the topless guy with moustache? :grin:

The original faceprint with a grey moustache was included in the truck chase set, and a recolored version was indeed used for that mechanic :wink:

16 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The original faceprint with a grey moustache was included in the truck chase set, and a recolored version was indeed used for that mechanic :wink:

I gotta say, he had a lot more pecs back in the day, so to say.

(Possibly could've deafeated Spider-Man, if not for Indy and Marion showing up.)

Antonio Banderas has been cast in the film, so we finally have a chance to see him immortalised as a minifig :sweet: About time if you ask me!