Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

15 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Unpopular opinion - Sadly, no Johnny Thunder’s comeback. 

Indeed,if I had to pick either indy or Johnny I'd pick the latter no questions asked.

Haven't been on Eurobricks in a while and decided to pop in because of all the Indiana Jones Buzz over the past few days. Am I correct in saying that Indiana Jones coming back is almost definitely happening at this point, but the comeback being the "coconut" theme is just speculation? I read the stonewars article and it seemed like pretty farfetched speculation that didn't really have any solid evidence, but people on here are talking about it like it's a sure thing? Is there something I'm missing or are we all just getting a little too excited again :grin:

1 hour ago, Portal Out said:

Haven't been on Eurobricks in a while and decided to pop in because of all the Indiana Jones Buzz over the past few days. Am I correct in saying that Indiana Jones coming back is almost definitely happening at this point, but the comeback being the "coconut" theme is just speculation? I read the stonewars article and it seemed like pretty farfetched speculation that didn't really have any solid evidence, but people on here are talking about it like it's a sure thing? Is there something I'm missing or are we all just getting a little too excited again :grin:

I don't think it is confirmed yet, but not out of the question. The movie has been in development hell, but casting has recently started, and that could potentially start a false rumour. I would have doubts based on the amount of military content in the movies that could be less acceptable today, but if the new movie is coming out it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect Lego sets to tie-in.

9 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

I don't think it is confirmed yet, but not out of the question. The movie has been in development hell, but casting has recently started, and that could potentially start a false rumour. I would have doubts based on the amount of military content in the movies that could be less acceptable today, but if the new movie is coming out it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect Lego sets to tie-in.

Pretty sure the movie is in post production. They were certainly filming it in Glasgow last year. 

1 hour ago, Portal Out said:

There’s been murmurings of a Lego Indy revival for a while. Some Lego designers have talked about wanting to return to Lego Indy sets for years. One of the more plausible hints to it recently was when @Hoth Rebel alluded to it in another post linked a few pages back in this thread (along with talking about sets for James Cameron’s Avatar 2). I think Stonewars made a connection between the rumored Lego Indy revival and the Coconut code name, with some other reputable sources seeming to think that these numbers are for new Indy sets. I wouldn’t say it’s 100% confirmed but it is seeming pretty likely.

If the video game easter egg is really what this codename is hinting at, then that is a very deep cut reference.

So thrilled to hear about the possibility of new Indy sets! I had all the sets when I was younger and I would love to see a modern take on some of the original sets. The details should be great!

4 hours ago, williejm said:

Pretty sure the movie is in post production. They were certainly filming it in Glasgow last year. 

I believe they wrapped in November, or at least wrapped on-location filming then.  I'm not sure what the hold up on the release date was, since it certainly seems like they'd have enough time to finish the movie for a June release.  Perhaps they were concerned about their timetable in that case having almost zero margin for error (ie, not much time for re-shoots and stuff) and pushed it back since they wanted a summer release.  I can't imagine that it wouldn't be done by next fall/winter, but I guess that they want this to be their summer blockbuster.

If this theme only has four sets...I'd definitely be a little bit less excited about it, or at least hoping that there's a larger wave in 2023.  I think that there pretty much has to be a second wave tying in with the movie, right?

Some people think Coconut is LotR lol. It's pretty much only Indy and Avatar 2 as new themes for 2022.

Now there is the possibility coconut might be for Avatar, because I don't think leaf made much sense as a codename for Mario. But who knows, I hope we get more info soon. 

Edited by Mr No

It might still only be a one year theme. LEGO can always delay release if they want to tie in with the movie, or split it. Remember what they did with Barrel Escape in the Hobbit. They badged that one as a special preview set when the scene got shifted to the second movie. They are delaying the release of multiple sets currently too for stability / design issues, the Overwatch 2 situation, etc.  They have so much on the shelves these days, they seem to be able to shift dates around and still sell stuff no mater when it is released.

It all depends on how the theme sells, if Indy sells well I bet you, we will get more waves. 

23 minutes ago, Mr No said:

It all depends on how the theme sells, if Indy sells well I bet you, we will get more waves. 

They don't know how well it sells until it is for sale. And from what I understand about development times, by that time it is too late to design sets for another wave - unless there is a longer gap. It is far easier to cancel waves based on poor sales than it is to slot new ones in based on good sales.

9 minutes ago, MAB said:

They don't know how well it sells until it is for sale. And from what I understand about development times, by that time it is too late to design sets for another wave - unless there is a longer gap. It is far easier to cancel waves based on poor sales than it is to slot new ones in based on good sales.

I expect two more waves in 2023. Another small wave for Indy 5 in april and another in august. I think the release of the sets either in the summer or october this year will show Lego that there is a lot of interest in the theme. 

Edited by Mr No

11 minutes ago, Mr No said:

I expect two more waves in 2023. Another small wave for Indy 5 in april and another in august. I think the release of the sets either in the summer or october this year will show Lego that there is a lot of interest in the theme. 

If development times now are similar to those that designers have said are realistic in the past, then they would need to be designing those additional waves now (or already finished them). Look at the timescales for one off sets like IDEAS, even unlicensed ones, where there is no third party approval necessary.

7 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

If this theme only has four sets...I'd definitely be a little bit less excited about it, or at least hoping that there's a larger wave in 2023.  I think that there pretty much has to be a second wave tying in with the movie, right?

I suspect their original plan was to release a big wave consisting of sets based on the older movies and the new movie but since the movie has been delayed the only sets that will release this year are the ones based on the older movies.

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Never liked this particular TF anyway,the only time it provived anything good was back in 2010 when they revealed the Jack Sparrow minifigure.

Edited by LOTR34

27 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Never liked this particular TF anyway,the only time it provived anything good was back in 2010 when they revealed the Jack Sparrow minifigure.

I think you mixed something up. NYTF was the one where we used to get ALL of the pictures. The order was always the same: descriptions from London, some pictures in Nuremberg, all the pictures in NY :classic: The Jack Sparrow minifig was snuck into a display at SDCC :wink:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

9 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I think you mixed something up. NYTF was the one where we used to get ALL of the pictures. The order was always the same: descriptions from London, some pictures in Nuremberg, all the pictures in NY :classic: The Jack Sparrow minifig was snuck into a display at SDCC :wink:

Yes you're right,I mixed up the NYTF with the SDCC.My bad :grin:

12 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

USED is the key work here. We haven't had a NYTF that revealed all summer sets since 2017. After that year, Lego has only shown spring sets and maybe one summer theme if were lucky (Hidden side, 2019). As such, in terms of this discussion, NYTF wouldn't have mattered anyways. I feel like every year everyone forgets the change and gets excited all over again, only to be disappointed when the date rolls around...

30 minutes ago, The_Fiery_Rooster said:

USED is the key work here. We haven't had a NYTF that revealed all summer sets since 2017.

I‘m well aware of that, which is why the cancellation doesn‘t really bother me :grin: The only thing I‘m expecting out of the remaining fairs (if they‘re allowed to take place) are some descriptions / minifig lists for a few themes

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I‘m well aware of that, which is why the cancellation doesn‘t really bother me :grin: The only thing I‘m expecting out of the remaining fairs (if they‘re allowed to take place) are some descriptions / minifig lists for a few themes

If they are allowed too

3 minutes ago, Mr No said:

If they are allowed too

Sure, but so far, we always got a handful of minor reveals at the very least :classic: I don‘t think it‘ll be any different this time

Well, the Nuremberg Toy Fair has been cancelled, can’t be long before they pull the plug on the one in London as well :sad:

Now begins the waiting game

We’re going to be waiting for a while like the Grail Knight, but instead of waiting for someone to come get the grail, we’re waiting for Lego to announce this. I imagine we’ll have to late until the late spring or over the summer to see anything but we might have some more rumors come out by then. Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Well, the Nuremberg Toy Fair has been cancelled, can’t be long before they pull the plug on the one in London as well :sad:

Now begins the waiting game

Considering how disappointing the fairs have been the last couple of years I don't mind the cancelation.