Hello everyone, let me introduce my latest MOC – Mammoet PTC-200-DS Ring Crane made of Lego Technic!

1280x1920.jpg

This particular model attracted me for a long time, but since I saw it on YT installing the highest wheel in the world at UAE, I decided to investigate it’s building.
So I started from calculating it’s scale and number of wheels required. Railway ring set up crane’s scale. Then I decided to make 4 ¼ carriers with two 1/8 halves inside, each on 4 train wheels. So, all in all I required 32 train wheels. So, I started to look for them on BL.
Building started from these 1/8 carriers. I wanted each wheel to be driven to spread the torque all over the chassis. So each ¼ carrier is driven by L motor. Totally 4 L motors rotate 32 wheels for crane rotation :)
Then I started to build main superstructure (half). Build two similar halves and connect them. Then installed winches, counterweight box and booms.

There is not too much information about this crane in the network, so my build is based on some youtube videos and browsed images of the crane. I would not able to get any info from the company directly. 

So the crane may have some differences from the real model. And for some reason I can't say this is a scale model. For examble real crane has two rings with 64 wheels on each. Obviously, I can't build a model on 128 train wheels - this sclae is simply out of my budget.

I was dreaming of a crane which would be able to lift up to 1 kilo. Luckily, this crane one can easily uplift even 1,5 Kg 😊
Crane is powered by classic PF elements: 4 L motors for drive + steering rotation, 4 XL Motors for 7 winches. I recommend using 4 BBBoxes as a counterweight. Although only one is connected and needs to be charged. It would be simple to switch crane management to SBricks or Buwizzes (as there are five separate functions, you’ll require 2 sbricks or two buwizzes). Installing PU system instead of PF may become a challenge, especially for carriers. If you have only one battery box - this is not bad, crane is stable even with one battery box as a counterweight, but, obviously, it can't lift a lot or make a horizontal poisition.

Crane is 210 cm high in the current configuration at it's highest position.

Can lift 1500 gramms or maybe even 2000, but I didn't give it a try to save parts from stress.

Fully RC with 5 channels with 3 IR receivers. Can be layed horizontally and back to working position without human help.

More images

640x427.jpg640x427.jpg640x960.jpg640x427.jpg640x960.jpg640x960.jpg640x960.jpg640x960.jpg 640x960.jpg

Ah, building instructions are already complete and ready: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-77733/OleJka/mammoet-ptc-200-ds-ring-crane/#details

Edited by Aleh

Never seen one of these before - i love seeing something different! And the model looks brilliant - Love it!!

Just wow *oh2*
that's a gigantic build…
I wonder how many meters of rope there is inside…

I will have to give this the proper time for reading, digestion, but real quick, as I lover of cranes I love this build!  Movement is smooth... hard to achieve with the weigh and friction involved in large, heavy builds.   I actually have tons of un-used lift arms (red even) so I may try to give this a go at some point.  

But one quick observation, and this is something I also found out by experience in building a large lattice boom crane myself is that one can achieve much greater boom strength by supporting it not only vertically, but also on the horizontal planes as well.  

I see that the majority of the boom is constructed by axles in axle-hole with pins elements strategy.  I used this same method when building my crane, and although it was strong, it was not nearly as strong as it could have been with these added supports.  

Either way, great crane and thanks for sharing!

Very nice! It's actually not a super complex crane (in both the real world and in LEGO), it's just fvcking massive

I believe it's shipped in a ton of 40ft containers and those containers are then filled with local earth/sand and used as counterweights. That is just brilliant engineering!

5 hours ago, Andman said:

Awseome model! I like it a lot!

Thanks you!

5 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

Never seen one of these before - i love seeing something different! And the model looks brilliant - Love it!!

Thanks! And yeap - technology of a ring crane is not popular I assume.

4 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Well done an awesome build - how many parts ?

If to trust rebrickable - there are 4904 parts, excluding counterweight battery boxes.

Take a look at the Worlds largest Ring Crane currently building a nuclear pwer station in England.

I know this Sarens monster, though, I prefer to build Mammoet

It also runs on parallel tracks between reactor sites.

As farI know this PTC-200 could also run on parrallel rail tracks - I saw some pictures of this configuration in the network.

4 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

Just wow *oh2*
that's a gigantic build…
I wonder how many meters of rope there is inside…

Thank you! I will count the ropes when I will extrack them. Roughly there are 60 meters.

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

it was not nearly as strong as it could have been with these added supports.  

Could you please share an example?

41 minutes ago, 1974 said:

I believe it's shipped in a ton of 40ft containers and those containers are then filled with local earth/sand and used as counterweights. That is just brilliant engineering!

You are absolutely right. It's been transported in 200 40ft see contaiers, if I'm not wrong.

41 minutes ago, caiman0637 said:

This is insane... keep it up!

Thank you!

Impressive.  Does it pack up nicely to take to events and shows?

1 hour ago, Aleh said:

Could you please share an example?

This is a rendition of the Liebherr LR 1750 I did years ago.  You will notice the "lattice" of the crane of the boom(s) is really only at the vertical (sides) of the booms.  No lattice ("W" shaped criss-crossing allowing for triangles and 45 degree angles) on the tops or bottoms.  Still a strong crane, but I learned it could have been stronger if I had did a lattice on the top and bottom of the booms.  I believe your construction is similar.  

But like I said, just an observation I made as we went through the same process.  Overall, great submission!

9 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

This is a rendition of the Liebherr LR 1750 I did years ago.  You will notice the "lattice" of the crane of the boom(s) is really only at the vertical (sides) of the booms.  No lattice ("W" shaped criss-crossing allowing for triangles and 45 degree angles) on the tops or bottoms.  Still a strong crane, but I learned it could have been stronger if I had did a lattice on the top and bottom of the booms.  I believe your construction is similar.  

You're right, real cranes and practically any real lattice box construction always have diagonal bracing on all four sides.  Otherwise they are relatively weak in bending about one axis and more prone to buckling.  Tricky to build in lego so usually most people don't bother (including me) but from my own past experiments it does make a difference in lifting capacity.  However for this crane where there are twin booms that are not super long I don't think it will make a huge difference.  Lateral stability isn't likely to be a big problem.

Aleh, it's definitely a really nice build of an interesting and less frequently seen type of crane.  When you are ready to tear it down you should try a real load test.  I'm sure it should be able to go way higher than 1.5kg with enough counter-weight :wink:   You may want to slightly change how you connect the guy to the jib though.  The way it's connected now you are bending the jib, especially those 4 15L liftarms in the section where the guy is attached.  It will be a lot stronger if you add diagonal bracing to that section the same as all the others and move the guy attachment right to the tip to the jib or as close as you can get.

Very impressive one !

Oh, well done ! Now my son (11 yo) wants  this one for his birthday ! I already thought the 42055 bucket wheel excavator was huge...

pfffff

55 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

Oh, well done ! Now my son (11 yo) wants  this one for his birthday ! I already thought the 42055 bucket wheel excavator was huge...

One picture instead of many words:

MAmmoet%20+%2042055.jpg

19 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Impressive.  Does it pack up nicely to take to events and shows?

Thanks. Honestly it's not supposed to travel because here in Belarus we don't have any lego shows at all, BUT the whole model is modular - I can easily disconnect all booms, then, removing only 4 pins I can disconnect each 1/4 wheel chassis from the superstructure. And even the supersturucture can be divided by halves.

18 hours ago, whitepen said:

And I thought that 42042 was massive!:thumbup:

Thank you!

17 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

But like I said, just an observation I made as we went through the same process.  Overall, great submission!

6 hours ago, mdemerchant said:

You're right, real cranes and practically any real lattice box construction always have diagonal bracing on all four sides.  Otherwise they are relatively weak in bending about one axis and more prone to buckling.  Tricky to build in lego so usually most people don't bother (including me) but from my own past experiments it does make a difference in lifting capacity.  However for this crane where there are twin booms that are not super long I don't think it will make a huge difference.  Lateral stability isn't likely to be a big problem.

Aleh, it's definitely a really nice build of an interesting and less frequently seen type of crane.  When you are ready to tear it down you should try a real load test.  I'm sure it should be able to go way higher than 1.5kg with enough counter-weight :wink:   You may want to slightly change how you connect the guy to the jib though.  The way it's connected now you are bending the jib, especially those 4 15L liftarms in the section where the guy is attached.  It will be a lot stronger if you add diagonal bracing to that section the same as all the others and move the guy attachment right to the tip to the jib or as close as you can get.

First of all thank you very much for this words - these are the most appreciated feedback!
Secondly I'm not sure the toy crane should be able to lift  several Kgs - this made of pure plastic and will create a huge stress on the beams, wheel's axles etc. Despite chassis are made very robust and ready for stress.
Ok, yesterday, after minor upfrade crane lifted a chair which weights 2.0 KGs. I'll upload this video soon. Without increasing the counterweight ballast. But I feel this is the limit. The main boom becomes bending a bit.
Thirdly I added two cross beams at the top of the Luffing jib section :)

17 hours ago, Milan said:

Frontpaged.

OMG!!! E-e-e-e-e-e-yeah!!!

2 hours ago, Sariel said:

What a beauty!

Thank you, Pawel!

2 kg test. Feels like it’s lifting capacity limit without any modifications. 
This chair from ikea weights 2,0 kg. I’ll public the proof tomorrow. 

And sorry for the background - no time for video edit. 

Soon I’ll public one more video of SSL modification. Stay tuned and thanks for the support!!

Great work! Very impressive.

I love these huge technic models and I wish I had the skills to make one from scratch as well.

1 hour ago, StevenV72 said:

I wish I had the skills to make one from scratch as well.

Thank you very much!

I wasn't borned with these skills. Firstly - I'm building MOCs since 2012, secondly this is my third technic crane. So it took me 9 years to be frontpaged here.
Just build :)

Edited by Aleh

Fantastic build. At these sizes a whole new set of constraints appear that you have to take into account. Making it operate so smoothly is a big achievement.

I did a SSL configuration: no luffing jib, but extended to 1,5 meters main boom. 

On 5/28/2021 at 6:16 PM, Aleh said:

I did a SSL configuration: no luffing jib, but extended to 1,5 meters main boom. 

I decided to release it too as it's simpler and requires less beams but with increased to 3 Kg lifting capacity.
IMG_8724.jpeg
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-78281/OleJka/mammoet-ptc-200-ds-ssl/#details

At this point I'm stopping working with this model and starting to disassemble it to save space at home :)

Edited by Aleh