Sign in to follow this  
eldiano

Lego and Cricut

Anyone attempted to try doing sails or printed stickers for flags on a cricut machine? I have a bunch of empty flags I got from lego I would try to  print something on it.  I'm confused on the whole deal but I know my girlfriend has a cricut and now I'm wondering if there's any templates for that matter. Thanks for your time and patience!

A cricut machine is a machine for cutting right...

I'm not really sure that cutting some sails and flags (especially lego sized one) are worth such a stuff.

The Cricut can cut out the sails and flags to the correct shape.  It won't be able to print graphics or letters on the material.  Think of it as a fancy computer numeric controlled pair of scissors. 

I was recently given an old Klic-N-Kut machine.  Blimey, it needs Windows XP and RS232 serial.  It'll be arts and crafts when I can get it working.   :pir-classic:

It can definitely be done, for stickers you'd want to print it first then cut it out.  The software can do it, but you really would need to get good with things first. The "print and cut" feature is the most difficult to get working right - but if your girlfriend knows how to do it then she could probably help out with that part.

4 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

It can definitely be done, for stickers you'd want to print it first then cut it out.  The software can do it, but you really would need to get good with things first. The "print and cut" feature is the most difficult to get working right - but if your girlfriend knows how to do it then she could probably help out with that part.

Uuuu sticker prints!!  I’ve watched her do some work on cups and do shirt prints and I was like huh, what’s stopping me from trying to do prints on the machine i know it’s possible to cut sails since she has cut fabric before but i was curious if I had to be a graphic designer to make the machine learn the imperial pattern design, but I know the stickers are quality and would look almost identical to the original since they are expensive!  I was curious to see if anyone has done it before but for sure I think it’s doable to print designs on sails since I’ve seen her make custom made t shirts for clients and a lightbulb turned on in my head! Just wasn’t sure about the stickers

9 minutes ago, eldiano said:

I’ve seen her make custom made t shirts for clients and a lightbulb turned on in my head

You could do heat transfer vinyl on the sails. You'd want to cut out the fabric and cut out the HTV and then press them together (whatever she uses for shirts).  The software should be able to translate a clean image into a cut file without issue if you can find a high res image of the logo you want to put on the sail. I hope this helps, definitely tell her what you'd like to do and I bet she has all the talent you need to help out :pir-wench:

5 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Think of it as a fancy computer numeric controlled pair of scissors. 

It's really more of a computer controlled Xacto Knife :pir-huzzah1:

6 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Lord, have mercy !

Christ, have mercy!

1 hour ago, Darkdragon said:

It's really more of a computer controlled Xacto Knife :pir-huzzah1:

Or computer controlled Sword of Exact Zero.  One of the steps on the Klic-N-Kut before cutting is to set the origin point (0,0).  :pir-grin:

As a newbie, it took a few evenings of trial & error and salty pirate speak to get the machine to cut a sail piece.  Not rocket science but dark arts and crafts.  :pir-classic:

knk3.jpg

Looks good.

Time for you to start a custom sail side hustle? 🤔

On 5/28/2021 at 8:53 AM, dr_spock said:

As a newbie, it took a few evenings of trial & error and salty pirate speak to get the machine to cut a sail piece.  Not rocket science but dark arts and crafts.  :pir-classic:

that looks amazing!!! time for me to trial and error!

Edited by Darkdragon
Please don't quote images