Sign in to follow this  
n1majneb

[O17 - Enarc - CE] A Bad Reception

*Your entry has earned 18 XP*

Following the events on Geonosis, a tidal wave swept across the Galaxy as the Clone Wars began. 
Many believed this war between the Republic and Separatists would be fought far from them with the faceless Clone forces engaging the equally faceless droid armies in theatre's unknown. 
Here, on Enarc, in this shoreline harbour town a small Clone force is sent to show the Republic is there to protect them from rumours of a separatist incursion... 

A bad reception as the Clone Wars begin

The Clone Army of the Republic was still in it’s infancy as uncertainty gripped the Galaxy. On Enarc, in this quiet Harbour town the residents believed they would be ignored in the war in favour of their neighbouring Naboo and it’s previous history. Their beliefs were mistaken. 
However, due to the Jedi ranks being spread thin, the Republic sends small elite Clone forces in their place to serve as Peacekeepers and Ambassadors to the Republic. Here, in the midst of lashing wind and rain this small show of force arrives to let the residents feel at peace, safe in the protectorship of the Republic.  
They are met with a reception equal to the storm around them, unwanted and unneeded. As Clone troops enter the bar they are met with hostility, the unfounded news of a Separatist plot riles the locals, fishermen and farmhands all, and the intended message of security falls short here...  

Watchmen reference

As the Clone Trooper is thrown through the window, the Ithorian calls after him "Peacekeeper? Who watches the watchmen?"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Build Notes and additional imagery

Spoiler

The Build,  

This one came about very quickly for me, which was something of a surprise as I've never built with Clone troops before. I had an initial idea to show Clone forces parading through a market square which then turned into what you see displayed here. A backwater taverna with the Clone forces upsetting the locals through unnecessary action. 

The Clone Elite force 

I set this in the very early days of the Clone Wars as I thought this would best display the mistrust in a secret army suddenly appearing across the Galaxy, therefore it also made sense to make little change to the Gen1 Clone design bar necessary measures such as the Pauldron and visor’s, however, I thought in a wet and stormy locale we’d see Clone troopers appear in some degree of wet weather gear. This allowed me to design a figure with a nod to the Hawkbat battalion from the 2003 Clone Wars cartoon. 

image.png.d8b434d94cf7b89aa95c4379eb2bc11f.png

The Taverna and the town 

The aim was to design an unbecoming shoreline bar that overtime had begun to be worn down by constant bad weather. The detail along the sea facing side of the building shows sign’s of wear whist the bar sign would serve as a light in the dark.  

51199271866_19fb16b435_b.jpgA bad reception as the Clone Wars begin

Growing up, the fishing towns I knew were not built to a plan but out of necessity with cramped streets to take full advantage of any available space and by adding the façade of the second building, my aim was to display this type of town. This second building has a few instruments looking out to sea to measure both communication and weather conditions. 

In addition, I also wanted to display a semblance of a working town in this 16x16 footprint. Whilst the weather is bad, the droid work force is tasked to resume the job of fishing. The droid is based on concept artwork of the Krill fishing droids seen in the Mandalorian. 

Inspiration

The locals are made up of people I'd assume to have come to the area out of necessity of work only. We see the Publican tending bar with a Mandalorian (an Easter Egg, here to CE!) in discussion with a local fisherman seemingly unknowing of events above as angry Ithorian takes offense to the Clone Troopers arrival. 

In all, the fractured window was the first thing I designed here, and it made me immediately think of the first pages of Watchmen #1. Therefore, I added a pin hiding under the helmet of the unassuming Clone falling from the helmet as he is reintroduced to the ground beneath him. 
I thought the adage “Who watches the Watchmen?” was apt here as a by-line for this build. 

Thanks for taking the time to look through this! 

Edited by goatman461

It is great how you have used the cramped nature of the size limit to your advantage - definitely gives that bustling urban feel. That holosign is a nice touch too!

Lots of great little details in this build. It does get a little messy, but overall solid entry! Now I wanna see who threw the poor trooper out the window... :D

4 hours ago, marvelBoy123 said:

It is great how you have used the cramped nature of the size limit to your advantage - definitely gives that bustling urban feel. That holosign is a nice touch too!

Thanks, that’s exactly what i I was going for!

I’m pleased with that sign, too!

1 hour ago, Darth Bjorn said:

Lots of great little details in this build. It does get a little messy, but overall solid entry! Now I wanna see who threw the poor trooper out the window... :D

Always leave them wanting more 😉

(or failed to add an image of the mysterious assailant? who knows 😅)

Edited by n1majneb

Great details throughout teh build, I especially like the astromech-style droid and the translucent sign