Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Heroica Hall

Current Sign Ups for Mission 8: The Enigmatic Mr. Fix-It:

Bers (Dutch-Thriceman)
Yelana Fennix (Classic_Spaceman)

4 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Yelana walked into the Hall from the Library and stopped at the Missionboard. Looking over it, she signed up for Mission #8
As she glanced around the Hall, Yelana nodded to Bers, noting his upgraded appearance, then left and walked back to her apartment. 

Bers sees the human walk into the hall, all though it has been some time ago now he remembers, Yelana Fennix. 'This one was nice to me, I hope we can go on a mission togheter.' He thinks to himself as he takes another sip from his hard liquor.

Edited by Dutch Thriceman

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"<I'm trying to see if you're bluffing, when you said you were accessing my files. What do you know? And you assess threats? What's your criteria. . . And what do you do when you find something you deem a threat?>" 

Yelana Insight Proficiency Check (DC 1) - (4,3,5,4) 3 Successes

Query Coding Proficiency Check - (2,4,6,5,1,6,4,5,+1) 7 Successes

Yelana is certain the program is not bluffing.

51631834983_35d73ecdfc_t.jpg
"Irrelevant questions to my operations. As long as my data remains on this device I will monitor for threats."

On 10/27/2021 at 1:13 AM, Waterbrick Down said:

"Irrelevant questions to my operations. As long as my data remains on this device I will monitor for threats."

"<'My data'?>" Yelana thought as she stood up to get a bag of pretzels and a bottle of sparkling water from the counter. Sitting back down on the sofa, Yelana opened the bag. "<Very relevant, actually, considering my questions were specifically about your operations>", she said, crunching a pretzel. "<And what's your deal? You talk back a lot for just a security programme, you know - But you can't be sentient, since you weren't given a name until you picked one for yourself. From what I know, Adamites have to be given names.>" 

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"<'My data'?>" Yelana thought as she stood up to get a bag of pretzels and a bottle of sparkling water from the counter. Sitting back down on the sofa, Yelana opened the bag. "<Very relevant, actually, considering my questions were specifically about your operations>", she said, crunching a pretzel. "<And what's your deal? You talk back a lot for just a security programme, you know - But you can't be sentient, since you weren't given a name until you picked one for yourself. From what I know, Adamites have to be given names.>" 

"There is no value to me in answering your questions. You downloaded me, my sentience is unnecessary for your monitoring."

MM Note: To be clear, Query is intertwined with the data from the library. As long as Yelana has the data, she has Query.

8 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

MM Note: To be clear, Query is intertwined with the data from the library. As long as Yelana has the data, she has Query.

OoC: 

Spoiler

I know that - Yelana is trying to gain Insight into whether Query is alive, or simply an advanced Deadcode/soulless-Livecode programme. Additionally, she is attempting to Persuade Query into telling her more about its capabilities and functions (in order to determine (via Insight) whether it poses a threat to her, or is simply an annoyance). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

40 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

OoC: 
(Spoilers do not work on mobile 😕).
I know that - Yelana is trying to gain Insight into whether Query is alive, or simply an advanced Deadcode/soulless-Livecode programme. Additionally, she is attempting to Persuade Query into telling her more about its capabilities and functions (in order to determine (via Insight) whether it poses a threat to her, or is simply an annoyance). 

MM Note: Got it. It would be helpful to bold actions instead of dialog if you'd like to make a check. :classic:

Yelana Insight Proficiency Check (DC 3,5) - (6,4,4,6) 4 Successes

Yelana considers her interactions with Query and postulates that the program is likely deadcode, but there are lingering bits of the program's protocol that hint at something different, but currently unascertainable. 

Yelana Persuasion Proficiency Check (DC 3,5) - (3,2,2,+1) 1 Success

"Do not be concerned Agent Fennix... As long as your other... missions... do not jeopardize the security of the Hall... you have no reason to fear my monitoring."

Yelana Insight Proficiency Check (DC 3) - (5,5,4,6) 4 Successes

Based upon her limited interactions with the program, Yelana is certain that Query is monitoring her actions through the headset, though what the program would do with said information is not currently known.

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Yelana considers her interactions with Query and postulates that the program is likely deadcode, but there are lingering bits of the program's protocol that hint at something different, but currently unascertainable. 

Yelana tossed another pretzel into her mouth as she examined the code of the data that she had downloaded, looking for any clues as to Query's full programming and capabilities

"Do not be concerned Agent Fennix... As long as your other... missions... do not jeopardize the security of the Hall... you have no reason to fear my monitoring."

Yelana leaned back on the sofa. "<Can't say I'm a fan of veiled threats>", she said, opening the bottle of water and taking a sip. "<And you're missing a really big piece of this puzzle - You said I downloaded you, but that's wrong. I copied about a third of the Hall's data, which included an embedded security programme. That programme is still running on Heroica's servers - You, the entity called 'Query', only came into existence after the copy of the security programme interfaced with my visor, chose a name for itself, and accessed my files.>" Yelana paused; "<In a way, I created you. I mean, I didn't write your base code, but you - 'Query' - wouldn't exist without my actions, so I'd recommend being just a bit more respectful. . . And forthcoming.>" 

OoC: 

Spoiler

Actions: 
First Paragraph: Equip Hacking Chip, Coding check to examine the data. 
Second Paragraph: Equip Translator Cube, Persuasion check to convince Query to be more cooperative (as well as to point out the flaw in its assertions). 

OoC: 

Spoiler

MM Note: Got it. It would be helpful to bold actions instead of dialog if you'd like to make a check. :classic:

Mission Zero, again! 😬 (I assumed that Yelana's actions were obvious from her dialogue). 
If it works better, I can include my actions in an OoC section, if I feel that they are not properly conveyed in-character. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

6 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Yelana tossed another pretzel into her mouth as she examined the code of the data that she had downloaded, looking for any clues as to Query's full programming and capabilities

Yelana Coding Proficiency Check (DC 3,5,7) - (1,3,3,3,+1) 1 Success

Yelana's analysis of the program comes up blank as the language and coding style seem utterly foreign to her.

6 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Yelana leaned back on the sofa. "<Can't say I'm a fan of veiled threats>", she said, opening the bottle of water and taking a sip. "<And you're missing a really big piece of this puzzle - You said I downloaded you, but that's wrong. I copied about a third of the Hall's data, which included an embedded security programme. That programme is still running on Heroica's servers - You, the entity called 'Query', only came into existence after the copy of the security programme interfaced with my visor, chose a name for itself, and accessed my files.>" Yelana paused; "<In a way, I created you. I mean, I didn't write your base code, but you - 'Query' - wouldn't exist without my actions, so I'd recommend being just a bit more respectful. . . And forthcoming.>" 

Yelana Persuasion Proficiency Check (DC 3,5) - (2,4,3,+1) 2 Successes

"And I am not a... 'fan' of theft... I had no need of a designation, before your... questioning... Regardless my program continues to operate upon the Hall servers... and will continue to run here to monitor your use of the data you... downloaded."

14 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"And I am not a... 'fan' of theft... I had no need of a designation, before your... questioning... Regardless my program continues to operate upon the Hall servers... and will continue to run here to monitor your use of the data you... downloaded."

"<Aright, first, copying something and leaving the original doesn't count as 'theft' - It's like taking a picture, and second, you're still not getting it, are you? You're not connected to the Hall, so while the programme you're a copy of is still running, you - 'your programme' - only exists here on my visor.>" Yelana stopped to take a breath and another sip of water. "<You might understand it better this way: Search the data for asexual cellular reproduction, then think of the Hall's security programme as a cell and yourself as a copy of that cell. You're a new entity, independent of the original, despite being a clone of it when you were downloaded. That make sense?>" 

OoC: 

Spoiler

Persuasion check (and possibly Nature check?). 

Yelana’s continued attempts at persuasion seem to have no effect on the nature of the security program. Query gives one more response before going silent.
"Data that you were not authorized to access… The nature of my existence is clearly understood. My protocol remains… I will continue to monitor.”

Yelana leaned back on the sofa and thought about what Query had said. Finishing her snack, she swung her backpack onto her back, then left her apartment and returned to the Hall

OoC: 

Spoiler

This is an Insight check to see if Yelana can determine anything else about Query and its motivations, beyond what it has told her. 

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Yelana leaned back on the sofa and thought about what Query had said. Finishing her snack, she swung her backpack onto her back, then left her apartment and returned to the Hall

OoC: 

Reveal hidden contents

This is an Insight check to see if Yelana can determine anything else about Query and its motivations, beyond what it has told her. 

Yelana Insight Proficiency Check (DC 3)(2,5,5,3) 2 Successes

As Yelana reflected on her interactions with the program, she failed to glean any other particular insights into the nature of the code apart from monitoring of her actions and protection of the data she had downloaded.

Entering the hall with a flourish of his cape, a figure strides towards the bar, neatening his bow tie and straightening his collar. His suit is worn and out of fashion by a number of years, and yet his well styled hair and scruffy facial hair belies an understanding of dashing charm. He sits on a stool, bringing his seat closer to the bar with a screech.

51675700154_372b52b301_o.jpg
"Bartender!" He jovial addresses Thorvald, his finger raising with a flourish. "Take some vodka and some orange juice and produce for me your finest screwdriver!"

51227990673_0a92d5742b_t.jpg
"Sure thing." Thorvald gets to work preparing the drink as the human man taps his fingers across the bar, examining the hall with a curious eye.

5 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Entering the hall with a flourish of his cape, a figure strides towards the bar, neatening his bow tie and straightening his collar. His suit is worn and out of fashion by a number of years, and yet his well styled hair and scruffy facial hair belies an understanding of dashing charm. He sits on a stool, bringing his seat closer to the bar with a screech.

"Bartender!" He jovial addresses Thorvald, his finger raising with a flourish. "Take some vodka and some orange juice and produce for me your finest screwdriver!"

"Sure thing." Thorvald gets to work preparing the drink as the human man taps his fingers across the bar, examining the hall with a curious eye.

Yelana had her head back and her feet up on the booth opposite her when the man's loud entry into the Hall jolted her out of her thoughts. She snapped up, her visor materialising in an instant, and scanned the unknown individual
"<Hmmm. . . Not exactly a merc type - Maybe a client?>", she thought, as she stood up and walked over to the bar. Sitting down diagonally opposite the new arrival, Yelana addressed Thorvald. 
"Could I get a cup of Crimson Chai - extra strong - with cream and Poojat sugar? And a croissant - Can you wrap it in a paper towel and microwave it for, like, 22 seconds? Wait. . . The microwave, 'Cook-Tron', whatever's, still scuffed, right? Nevermind; just the tea then - Thanks." 
She turned towards the man across from her and extended her hand. 
"Yelana Fennix - You new here?" 

OoC: 

Spoiler

Perception and Insight checks, respectively. 

Yelana Perception Check (DC: 1): (1,3,3,4 +1 Success) Two Successes

Yelana Insight Check (DC: ?): (4,4,5,5) Four Successes

It was safe to assume that the figure entering the hall was the individual who was staying in the penthouse suite. He entered the hall without any other articles and looked unarmed. Sitting next to the man, Yelana notices him quickly look her over, his eyes tracing around her with inquisitive interest.

"Miss Fennix, a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He takes her hand and kisses her hand, reaching across the bar to do so. "My friends call me Heisenberg, and I insist you do the same as well." He smiles as gently lets go of her hand. "This is quite the establishment. Are you a member of the guild currently taking up residence here?" Heisenberg asks Yelana. She can tell he seems excited to be talking about the hall and Heroica in general.

25 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Sitting next to the man, Yelana notices him quickly look her over, his eyes tracing around her with inquisitive interest.

"Miss Fennix, a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He takes her hand and kisses her hand, reaching across the bar to do so. "My friends call me Heisenberg, and I insist you do the same as well." He smiles as gently lets go of her hand. 

Yelana recoiled her hand awkwardly, visibly uncomfortable. 
"The pleasure's all yours. . . " 
She bit her lip and took a chopstick out of her hair, pausing for a moment. 

26 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"This is quite the establishment. Are you a member of the guild currently taking up residence here?" Heisenberg asks Yelana. She can tell he seems excited to be talking about the hall and Heroica in general.

"Heroica? Yeah, right now. . . What's your connection? Are you the guy up in the penthouse suite?" 
Yelana twirled the chopstick between her fingers as she waited for Thorvald to prepare her tea. 

"My sincerest apologies." Heisenberg responds to Yelana as she recoils her hand. "It won't happen again.

Why, yes indeed, I am the fellow who is taking up current residence in the penthouse suite. I heard that the hotel was being converted into a guildhall for adventurer types and I decided to come down and see what had become of the old building. I saw an advertisement while at the picture show and I simply had to see this place one last time before it transformed from the Grand Ebria Hotel into the new, spectacular Heroica Hall." Heisenberg's screwdriver is placed before him as Yelana's chai tea is finished, the pot being placed next to her cup along with her croissant. Heisenberg lifts his glass to his mouth and drinks softly, placing a hand underneath his cup to keep it steady. "Yes, quite the turn around this place has had. How long have you been here, Miss Fennix? I understand this organization is quite young, but how experienced a guild member are you, hmm?" Heisenberg asks, intrigued in a conversation.

44 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"My sincerest apologies." Heisenberg responds to Yelana as she recoils her hand. "It won't happen again."

"Mmm-Hmm. . . " Yelana murmured to herself, still twirling the chopstick. 

45 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"Why, yes indeed, I am the fellow who is taking up current residence in the penthouse suite. I heard that the hotel was being converted into a guildhall for adventurer types and I decided to come down and see what had become of the old building. I saw an advertisement while at the picture show and I simply had to see this place one last time before it transformed from the Grand Ebria Hotel into the new, spectacular Heroica Hall." Heisenberg's screwdriver is placed before him as Yelana's chai tea is finished, the pot being placed next to her cup along with her croissant. Heisenberg lifts his glass to his mouth and drinks softly, placing a hand underneath his cup to keep it steady. 

"I see. . . 'One last time'? Did you have a connection to the hotel, or were you just curious?" 
As Yelana ponders Heisenberg's words, Thorvald hands her her tea and croissant. Slipping the chopstick back into her hair, she takes a sip. 
"Nice, much stronger - Oh, and I see you got the microwave fixed. That reminds me - Who handles the tech issues around here? I've got a few. . . questions I'd like to ask." 
Yelana turned back to Heisenberg, still sipping her tea. 

47 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"Yes, quite the turn around this place has had. How long have you been here, Miss Fennix? I understand this organization is quite young, but how experienced a guild member are you, hmm?" Heisenberg asks, intrigued in a conversation.

"Not long - I've been on Ebria, what, six months? I've been with Heroica for like the past two-ish. I'm pretty experienced outside the guild, though; I'm a spy - I work for the organisation most people call 'The Triad' - tech-analysis, intel work, threat-assessment, all that cool shit. And that was before I started in the field", Yelana said with a smirk. 
She took a moment to eat a bit of her croissant and take another sip of tea. 
"What about you? What do you do?

8 hours ago, Kintobor said:

I like this fleshbags style, Bers thinks to himself as he quietly observes the conversation between Yelana and Heisenberg from a corner table in the hall. Taking another swig from his own bottle.

"You seem very fixated on the concept that I have some connection to this hall of yours. Curious." Heisenberg tells Yelana as he returns to his drink before continuing, his hands animatedly expounding his speech. "No, I am afraid I am merely here to experience this place before it's facilities fully switch over from that of a working hotel into that of a guild hall, although I at least am happy someone will take care of this old building. It was starting to become an eyesore in its dilapidated condition. I had been here a few times prior, but that was many moons ago, before the war." He listens intently as Yelana speaks about her work, his eyebrows shifting as his interest is piqued.

"Field work, eh?" Heisenberg chuckles to himself. "Interesting then that you didn't claim to have worked for the Triad and that you still work for the Triad. Curious, that.

As for myself, I have had many different occupations in my life time. As of right now I am in between jobs, but I've been a lecturer on the subjects of literature and story structure. I wrote a few books and thesis papers on the subject, although I doubt it is anything you would care much about. I was quite avid in the holo-chess scene for awhile, but it's been awhile since I was a part of that. No, I cannot say it has been as interesting a life as yours, seemingly." He smiles at Yelana, his excitement obvious. He notices Bers sitting alone and motions for him to sit with him. "Come! If you wish to sit and join us you are more than welcome to my adamite friend!"

"If you're looking for something fixed, probably Rachelle. She's likely in her office at this time of day."

On 11/13/2021 at 5:00 PM, Kintobor said:

He notices Bers sitting alone and motions for him to sit with him. "Come! If you wish to sit and join us you are more than welcome to my adamite friend!"

Bers processes the query for a moment and then awkwardly shuffles over to the two.

51622013670_652656d062_t.jpg

"Well alright friends, only if neither of you mind the company of this unit."

"I cannot speak for Yelana, but I for one would love to have the company of the unit standing before me." Heisenberg motions to sit next to him.

"Mmm..." Heisenberg puts his empty glass on the table, dabbing his lips with a napkin from his pocket. "So, Yelana, my new adamite friend, perhaps either of you have a story to share? A tale of daring do and panache?"