BrokenEye

Is there any way to make it like certain bricks are glowing/emitting light in LDD and POV-Ray?

I've editing in a glow effect in Photoshop up until now, which works alright, but I'm not really satisfied with it. Selecting individual parts with the lasso tool is kind of a pain in the megablocks. I don't actually know anything about POVRay beyond what LDD to POV-Ray Converter lets me do, but I imagine maybe I could do something by mucking about with the "materials". That's a thing, right?

Yes, you would have to create an emissive material, but that in itself would not really "glow". Just not how optics work. "Glows" are either based on haze/ fog surrounding an object or lens artifacts. So even if you had the material, some post processing would have to happen. As for your PS issue, simply work smarter: Create an RGB matte or custom pass based on your model, meaning either assign a distinct color to your glowing parts that you don't use otherwise and can easily extract using color range selections or channel operations or create a duplicate of your model in glorious black & white (or for that matter other contrasting colors) from which selections and mattes can be gathered. You know, compositing how we used to do it 25 years ago...

Mylenium

On 5/23/2021 at 11:58 PM, Mylenium said:

Yes, you would have to create an emissive material, but that in itself would not really "glow". Just not how optics work. "Glows" are either based on haze/ fog surrounding an object or lens artifacts. So even if you had the material, some post processing would have to happen. As for your PS issue, simply work smarter: Create an RGB matte or custom pass based on your model, meaning either assign a distinct color to your glowing parts that you don't use otherwise and can easily extract using color range selections or channel operations or create a duplicate of your model in glorious black & white (or for that matter other contrasting colors) from which selections and mattes can be gathered. You know, compositing how we used to do it 25 years ago...

Mylenium

Alright, that kinda sounds what I'm looking for. How do I create a emissive material?

I know how to do channels, though it hadn't occurred to me that it'd be useful in this particular circumstance, so thanks for the tip.

Well, in most 3D programs you would simply enable global illumination and tweak the materials accordingly, but I honestly have no clue on how to modify Eyesight/ Cycles material presets. It should be possible, though, given that it's all XML and you can export node setups from Blender...

Mylenium

I'd love to be able to have emissive bricks in Bluerender; sadly the closest I've been able to get is through a lot of time-consuming and fiddly placement of multiple light sources...  :/

9 hours ago, Blip said:

I'd love to be able to have emissive bricks in Bluerender; sadly the closest I've been able to get is through a lot of time-consuming and fiddly placement of multiple light sources...  :/

If you are using Blurender0006 in the subfolder "./bublible/sc" there are 2 files:

• bublible_materials.sc
  • bublible_special.sc

These can be edited with a text editor (make a backup 1st !!!)

You could try to modify materials there and maybe there is a setting for emissive materials ?

Not that I know of, but I'll take a look (and I always backup first :D

It's more a case of wanting to be able to select specific bricks though, to be honest... Messing about with materials suggests I'd have to lose a color from my palette by dedicating it to light emissions; it'd be more practical to select a brick (regardless of color) in a model and apply desired luminosity to it.

That said, custom scene lighting settings can be written and saved to match a model filename; I wonder if it's possible to do something with the materials... Will have a tinker when I get time!